ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Mechanics - help plz (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=214802)

Lzen 09-23-2009 07:51 PM

Mechanics - help plz

I have a 2005 Hyundai Sante Fe. It needs the front disc brakes replaced. So, I bought the brakes and went home to change them.

I loosened the lug nuts and jacked up the Sante Fe using my 2 ton hydraulic jack. Once up, I took off the lug nuts and attempted to remove the passenger side wheel. Nothing, it would no budge.

After wiggling it around awhile to no avail, I finally gave up on that side I tried the other side but still had the same exact problem.

I have driven cars for 22 years and never, not once, have I ever had this kind of problem. Is there something that I'm missing here?

SAUTO 09-23-2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 6103677)
I have a 2005 Hyundai Sante Fe. It needs the front disc brakes replaced. So, I bought the brakes and went home to change them.

I loosened the lug nuts and jacked up the Sante Fe using my 2 ton hydraulic jack. Once up, I took off the lug nuts and attempted to remove the passenger side wheel. Nothing, it would no budge.

After wiggling it around awhile to no avail, I finally gave up on that side I tried the other side but still had the same exact problem.

I have driven cars for 22 years and never, not once, have I ever had this kind of problem. Is there something that I'm missing here?

nope the wheel is just stuck on. several ways to get it off. aluminum wheel or steel?

Pablo 09-23-2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 6103677)
Hyundai

Found yer problem.

Bah dum crash.

Brock 09-23-2009 07:54 PM

IMO, You have a dissimilar metals reaction between the alloy wheels and the iron hub and they've become corroded together. Hit it with a BFH.

SAUTO 09-23-2009 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 6103684)
IMO, You have a dissimilar metals reaction between the alloy wheels and the iron hub and they've become corroded together. Hit it with a BFH.

the problem with a hammer is where to hit it. for a novice i would sit on the ground with the lugnuts off and kick the tire. you can really **** up an aluminum wheel with a hammer

Brock 09-23-2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 6103686)
the problem with a hammer is where to hit it. for a novice i would sit on the ground with the lugnuts off and kick the tire. you can really **** up an aluminum wheel with a hammer

Yeah, I'd use a short 2x4 as the thing to actually hit with the hammer. But you most likely have a better solution since this is your profession.

Skip Towne 09-23-2009 07:58 PM

Yell at it and call it names.

Bowser 09-23-2009 07:58 PM

Maybe too obvious of a question, but does the car have some sort of anti tire theft lock you haven't disabled?

Bugeater 09-23-2009 07:59 PM

I had this problem with my wife's Camry last year, as Brock said it's because of the alloy wheels. I ended up soaking them with penetrating oil for several hours and then beat them off with a hammer and pry bar. Those son of bitches were stuck on so bad we'd have been screwed if we had a flat in the middle of nowhere. Now anytime I have the wheels off any of our vehicles I always put a coat of grease between the wheel and hub before I put them back on.

SAUTO 09-23-2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 6103693)
Yeah, I'd use a short 2x4 as the thing to actually hit with the hammer. But you most likely have a better solution since this is your profession.

i agree with you, i have no idea how mechanically inclined he is. if I said it and he totally ruined his $100+ dollar wheel...... you know the rest:D

Seriously kicking it should remove it.

at the shop i have an old splitting maul to use on those REAL tough ones. usually a 48 oz plastic deadblow to the inner lip does the trick

Skip Towne 09-23-2009 08:01 PM

I've had this happen. Shoot WD-40 in the lug bolt holes.

SAUTO 09-23-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 6103702)
I had this problem with my wife's Camry last year, as Brock said it's because of the alloy wheels. I ended up soaking them with penetrating oil for several hours and then beat them off with a hammer and pry bar. Those son of bitches were stuck on so bad we'd have been screwed if we had a flat in the middle of nowhere. Now anytime I have the wheels off any of our vehicles I always put a coat of grease between the wheel and hub before I put them back on.

PLEASE dont put that grease on your lugnuts. it makes them REAL hard to torque accurately. AND YES i habd torque EVERY lugnuts that comes off in my shop. if you want a job there it is a must

Lzen 09-23-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 6103681)
nope the wheel is just stuck on. several ways to get it off. aluminum wheel or steel?

Both wheels? Weird. I believe they are both aluminum alloy.

SAUTO 09-23-2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 6103716)
Both wheels? Weird. I believe they are both aluminum alloy.

yep, be glad that you dont drive a dually:D they are the worst. i have actually had to leave lugnuts loose and drive them around the lot a couple of times to get them loose

Lzen 09-23-2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 6103697)
Maybe too obvious of a question, but does the car have some sort of anti tire theft lock you haven't disabled?

That's what I wondered. I have never seen anything like this. But the owner manual does not mention anything about that in the changing tire section.

Bugeater 09-23-2009 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 6103715)
PLEASE dont put that grease on your lugnuts. it makes them REAL hard to torque accurately. AND YES i habd torque EVERY lugnuts that comes off in my shop. if you want a job there it is a must

I don't put it on the lug nuts, just a thin coat on the back side of the wheel where it makes contact with the hub.

SAUTO 09-23-2009 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 6103722)
That's what I wondered. I have never seen anything like this. But the owner manual does not mention anything about that in the changing tire section.

ROFL if you have all the lugnuts off then thats it. 5 IRC per wheel. nothing else there trust me on this one

Bugeater 09-23-2009 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 6103722)

How long has it been since the wheels were last removed?

SAUTO 09-23-2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 6103726)
I don't put it on the lug nuts, just a thin coat on the back side of the wheel where it makes contact with the hub.

thats a great idea, and something i do on all aluminum wheels myself. also no antiseize. the next guy to have them off will hate you for getting that nasty shit all over them

Lzen 09-23-2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 6103708)
i agree with you, i have no idea how mechanically inclined he is. if I said it and he totally ruined his $100+ dollar wheel...... you know the rest:D

Seriously kicking it should remove it.

at the shop i have an old splitting maul to use on those REAL tough ones. usually a 48 oz plastic deadblow to the inner lip does the trick

Well, I thought about a hammer before ever posting this. But yeah, I didn't want to beat up the aluminum wheel. I am somewhat mechanically inclined. I have done many basic repairs over the years. Even some moderate ones.

So, what Brock is suggesting you agree (a 2 X 4 centered on the hub and pound it with a hammer)?

SAUTO 09-23-2009 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 6103736)
Well, I thought about a hammer before ever posting this. But yeah, I didn't want to beat up the aluminum wheel. I am somewhat mechanically inclined. I have done many basic repairs over the years. Even some moderate ones.

So, what Brock is suggesting you agree (a 2 X 4 centered on the hub and pound it with a hammer)?

nope. you have it wrong. turn the wheel and put the 2x4 on the inside where the tire meets the wheel and hit the 2x4. remember to hold it flat.

Lzen 09-23-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 6103702)
...beat them off....

:Elvis: Uh huh huh huh.

SAUTO 09-23-2009 08:11 PM

see you have to get that wheel to "cock" sideways and break the corrosion between the two(wheel and hub)

Brock 09-23-2009 08:11 PM

It's probably easier just to kick it. You can direct a lot more force on to it that way, now that I think about it.

Lzen 09-23-2009 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 6103721)
yep, be glad that you dont drive a dually:D they are the worst. i have actually had to leave lugnuts loose and drive them around the lot a couple of times to get them loose

:eek: Did the wheel(s) ever come off while you were driving it around the lot?

SAUTO 09-23-2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 6103746)
It's probably easier just to kick it. You can direct a lot more force on to it that way, now that I think about it.

now if you kick it just jack up the car take off the lugnuts and kick the tire at the bottom where the tire and wheel meet.

SAUTO 09-23-2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 6103750)

no i just left the lugnuts a little loose, not off:D

Brock 09-23-2009 08:14 PM

I think you just loosen the nuts a couple turns before you drive around the parking lot in a zig zag manner.

SAUTO 09-23-2009 08:14 PM

the hammer trick works well, it's just easier for me becuase i'm swinging it at a car on the rack. at home i just kick the shit out of it

Lzen 09-23-2009 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 6103729)
ROFL if you have all the lugnuts off then thats it. 5 IRC per wheel. nothing else there trust me on this one

Why do you laugh. Damn Korean or Japanese made cars I wouldn't put anything past them. I remember trying to change the rotors on my FIL's Tacoma one time. Damn things were locked into place somehow (don't remember now) and I didn't have the proper tools to do it. Why couldn't they just be like ever other car I've done and just pull right off?

SAUTO 09-23-2009 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 6103755)
I think you just loosen the nuts a couple turns before you drive around the parking lot in a zig zag manner.

EXACTLYROFL and also the wheel going flying down the lot would not be good for business, hence the torque method. also it saves rotors.

Bugeater 09-23-2009 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 6103750)

Man, I swear I could've driven the wife's car for several weeks without lug nuts with as bad as hers were stuck.

(see if you can work an innuendo out of that one)

Lzen 09-23-2009 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 6103730)
How long has it been since the wheels were last removed?

We have only owned it a year and a half. It has just over 60k miles. I don't when, but the tires are still in decent shape.

SAUTO 09-23-2009 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 6103759)
Why do you laugh. Damn Korean or Japanese made cars I wouldn't put anything past them. I remember trying to change the rotors on my FIL's Tacoma one time. Damn things were locked into place somehow (don't remember now) and I didn't have the proper tools to do it. Why couldn't they just be like ever other car I've done and just pull right off?

hey man i'm definitely not laughing at you. everyone has been there at some point in their life. how do you think i learned it? it's just amusing.

SAUTO 09-23-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 6103761)
Man, I swear I could've driven the wife's car for several weeks without lug nuts with as bad as hers were stuck.

one good corner and it would have been trouble. even the toughest dont make it a mile.

Lzen 09-23-2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 6103761)

ROFL
Nice.

Skip Towne 09-23-2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 6103734)
thats a great idea, and something i do on all aluminum wheels myself. also no antiseize. the next guy to have them off will hate you for getting that nasty shit all over them

Yeah, the next guy may be YOU.

Bugeater 09-23-2009 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 6103764)
We have only owned it a year and a half. It has just over 60k miles. I don't when, but the tires are still in decent shape.

Ah, the wife's car had gone four years without any of the tires removed for any reason. Just be glad you discovered this now, and not when you have a flat tire at night in a rainstorm in the middle of effing nowhere.

Lzen 09-23-2009 08:20 PM

Alright guys, thanks for the help. I will go out and try that.

Lzen 09-23-2009 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 6103775)
Ah, the wife's car had gone four years without any of the tires removed for any reason. Just be glad you discovered this now, and not when you have a flat tire at night in a rainstorm in the middle of effing nowhere.

Well, yeah. I would be calling AAA.

SAUTO 09-23-2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 6103774)
Yeah, the next guy may be YOU.

yep thats why i said that.

munkey 09-23-2009 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 6103764)

so you don't rotate the tires every 5k miles...What kind of tires do you have?

Demonpenz 09-23-2009 08:42 PM

i would take it to tires plus but i am the kind of guy that pays for sex

Lzen 09-23-2009 09:24 PM

Thank again, gentlemen. Worked like a charm. Well the driver's side was a pain. I ended up bracing myself against the garage wall and kick as hard as I could and it finally came loose. The other side I had no wall (2 car garage) but it came loose in about 4 -5 kicks.

Lzen 09-23-2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by munkey (Post 6103793)
so you don't rotate the tires every 5k miles...What kind of tires do you have?

Heh, I should have those rotated for sure. Although I don't do it every 5k. Should be 10k from what I remember.

Buehler445 09-23-2009 11:41 PM

FTR, kicking is the correct answer.

cookster50 09-24-2009 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 6104426)
FTR, kicking is the correct answer.

Whether it's tires, or women. -LJ

Bwana 09-24-2009 06:17 AM

Been there. Give them a good front kick..........problem solved.

HemiEd 09-24-2009 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 6103684)

This, I usually just kick them with my size 11.