ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Drafting Corner (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=257548)

Direckshun 03-20-2012 12:02 PM

Drafting Corner

Let's play with this idea for a moment.

Chiefs are on the clock at #11, can't trade down, and Kirkpatrick and/or Janoris Jenkins are still on the board.

If that is the case, how interested might you be in pulling the trigger?

Keep in mind the usual suspects will be at the #11 pick, DeCastro, all the tackles, Kuechly, Poe.

If you bring on a corner, especially a stud like Jenkins, you have the best three corner combo in the NFL, and Arenas in the slot (where he's excelled) if you need him.

If you're REALLY concerned about Manning winning the division over you, this isn't the worst thought in the world.

The Jets showed us that if you have enough talent at CB, then you really can neuter even the best of franchise QBs. Brady is arguably the best QB in the league, and he has to throw away from his WRs when he plays the Jets.

The only problem there is that you have to REALLY stack the CB position like the Jets did. It's too much money to tie up in one position.

Except, Flowers would be the only corner in KC with a fat contract. Routt + Jenkins' rookie contract together would be cheaper than Brandon Carr, bar none. Financially, it's completely doable, and the Chiefs would still have double digits in millions of dollars in cap room.

Manning would have to hit his tight end(s) and check down receivers, because Flowers and Routt are largely neutralizing his #1 and #2, and all Jenkins has to do is shut down the #3. Arenas covers the slot. And we've all seen how mortal Manning looks when he's frustrated.

Plus, this gives us insurance for an elite CB duo if Routt doesn't pan out.

It's a thought.

Discuss.

suds79 03-20-2012 12:04 PM

I wouldn't be upset at a CB. I think the Chiefs have done a nice enough job in FA to place themselves at the point to where they can take the BPA.

So if it's a corner? Fine. But I'd prefer another pass rusher.

Simply Red 03-20-2012 12:04 PM

it's discus, get it?!

ToxSocks 03-20-2012 12:04 PM

#11 for a Headcase like Jenkins? No thanks.

i would take him the 2nd though, and it's possible he falls that far.

The Bad Guy 03-20-2012 12:05 PM

Taking another corner, when we have yet to develop Brown, makes zero sense.

kczoo 03-20-2012 12:05 PM

bro that wouldnt bother me at all, Manning, Rivers etc preys off of timing and zero pass rush. We need to get in their faces up front. If Dontari can do it, why not? Is he a bust? Maybe Mannings a bust. All fate and all chance. I like that pick of yours though

Direckshun 03-20-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 8475722)

Brown hasn't shown very well.

Not even on special teams.

He may bust.

The Franchise 03-20-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 8475722)

This.

I think Jalil Brown can turn into a damn good CB.

Direckshun 03-20-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8475726)
This.

I think Jalil Brown can turn into a damn good CB.

Meh.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-20-2012 12:08 PM

No thanks.

ToxSocks 03-20-2012 12:08 PM

Decastro, Kuechly or Kirkpatrick is fine by me.

I think the Chiefs are going to trade down though.

kczoo 03-20-2012 12:10 PM

Brown sucked azz when put in

Dante84 03-20-2012 12:10 PM

We've got the freedom to do this.

I want us to snag a FA Guard (not sure who's left?) So that our OLine is done for the time being. Hell, we can draft some late, also.

We are set with our starting Tackles, but we need deapth. I think a backup Tackle is not a need in round 1, if you plan on Re-signing BA.

I think you have to go BPA, and right now, BPA is going to be a CB (G withstanding).

With Palmer, Rivers, and Manning in our division, I have no problem pulling the trigger. Even though those QB's are aging and showing cracks, they still were/are elite. Can't afford to get burned.

I'm happy with CB. But who's the choice?

kczoo 03-20-2012 12:12 PM

On a side note, I think its hilarious on draft day years ago, people freaked cuz we didnt draft Quinn. Now weve got him cheapo depot and everyone is like wtf? Quinn>Palko

Hoover 03-20-2012 12:12 PM

I understand the line of thinking but I don't think it is wise. Just like it would have been unwise to invest 100 million in two CBs, you also don't want to over invest via the draft. How many times did we invest high draft picks in the DT position this decade and have nothing to show for it? Not only did many of them not pan out, the focus to find the monster QB crushing DT cost us much needed talent at other positions.

I think we need to try and trade down, but if we can't I have no problem taking a guy like DeCastro because it would solidify our Oline for years to come.

DBoweShow 03-20-2012 12:19 PM

Just wondering, but when people on here say trade down, I would sure like to know who we are going to trade down with. I mean I just don't see anyone that will fall to us that someone else just has to have.

I guess you never know come draft day tho, but I see nothing wrong with drafting a corner if it is BPA.

Bump 03-20-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 8475725)
Brown hasn't shown very well.

Not even on special teams.

He may bust.

I don't know, i thought he did ok last season when he got the chance and I always noticed him on special teams too :spock:

ToxSocks 03-20-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBoweShow (Post 8475773)
Just wondering, but when people on here say trade down, I would sure like to know who we are going to trade down with. I mean I just don't see anyone that will fall to us that someone else just has to have.

I guess you never know come draft day tho, but I see nothing wrong with drafting a corner if it is BPA.

If Cleveland takes Blackmon instead of Richardson, Richardson may very well slide to our spot and we can have some potential trade partners. Same goes for Tannehill.

DBoweShow 03-20-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8475784)
I don't know, i thought he did ok last season when he got the chance and I always noticed him on special teams too :spock:

Ya and you never know with young players. Hell how many people on here would of thought Brandon Carr would of turned into the player he is after one year.

ToxSocks 03-20-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kczoo (Post 8475751)
On a side note, I think its hilarious on draft day years ago, people freaked cuz we didnt draft Quinn. Now weve got him cheapo depot and everyone is like wtf? Quinn>Palko

Yeah....don't think that could have anything to do with the fact that we now know that Quinn isn't a franchise QB after seeing him in the NFL?

philfree 03-20-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBoweShow (Post 8475773)

I read a thing, a tweet perhaps that mention Philly and Seattle both as possible landing spots for Keuckly(sp?). Would Philly trade up for a ILB? :shrug:

The Franchise 03-20-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 8475787)
If Cleveland takes Blackmon instead of Richardson, Richardson may very well slide to our spot and we can have some potential trade partners. Same goes for Tannehill.

If Cleveland doesn't take Richardson....Tampa Bay will jump at the chance at #5.

ChiefMojo 03-20-2012 12:29 PM

Kilpatrick is the only CB I would consider on a trade down but would prefer the Chiefs take DeCastro or possibly Kuechley at #11. I'm not in the camp of taking either Poe or Tannehill.

DBoweShow 03-20-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 8475797)
I read a thing, a tweet perhaps that mention Philly and Seattle both as possible landing spots for Keuckly(sp?). Would Philly trade up for a ILB? :shrug:

That was a huge weakness for them last year, so they could possibly want to snag him. I guess you just never know until draft day.

The Poz 03-20-2012 12:35 PM

Just finished reading a recent mock that has us taking Kirkpatrick.

http://www.sbnation.com/2012-nfl-dra...ft-free-agency

11. Kansas City Chiefs, Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
The Chiefs were busy in free agency, filling their most glaring roster needs. They signed Stanford Routt to replace Brandon Carr, and paired with Brandon Flowers, that's a good duo of corners. Drafting Kirkpatrick gives them a trio of good corners. Depth and flexibility.

the Talking Can 03-20-2012 12:35 PM

i'm taking a cb before I'm taking a ****ing guard

Bowser 03-20-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8475800)
If Cleveland doesn't take Richardson....Tampa Bay will jump at the chance at #5.

Not sold on Blount?

Bowser 03-20-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 8475822)
i'm taking a cb before I'm taking a ****ing guard

Yeah, this, even if the guard IS the next Steve Hutchinson.

The Franchise 03-20-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 8475837)
Not sold on Blount?

Blount isn't an every down back.

dallaschiefsfan 03-20-2012 01:30 PM

Even if it's in another round, I'm not sure how we go into next season with our current NT situation. If Poe isn't it...fine...but it's gotta' be someone in the early rounds unless something surprises me during the rest of free agency.

RustShack 03-20-2012 03:54 PM

Don't draft a CB in the first round, but find a way to get Leonard Johnson. Dude is a shutdown CB.

Blick 03-20-2012 04:06 PM

Would rather go Barron. We need talent and depth at safety way more than corner.

KCDC 03-20-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefMojo (Post 8475807)
Kilpatrick is the only CB I would consider on a trade down but would prefer the Chiefs take DeCastro or possibly Kuechley at #11. I'm not in the camp of taking either Poe or Tannehill.

Me too

BossChief 03-20-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blick (Post 8476598)
Would rather go Barron. We need talent and depth at safety way more than corner.

This

Barron is vastly underrated IMO.

I know most here are in love with Lewis the same way they were with Page, but all in all they are very similar players.

Adding a guy like Barron, in today's passing league, would improve the quality of this defense quite a bit.

I think we are close to set at corner for 2012.

We only have 2 good safeties and one is coming off a major injury.

evolve27 03-20-2012 05:48 PM

Don't need another CB this early, we should go DE or LB instead IMO

RealSNR 03-20-2012 05:49 PM

Flowers
Routt
(Arenas)- full time nickel
Brown/Daniels- if Brown doesn't improve this year, Daniels has shown enough to be very effective

That's pretty ****ing deep. Now let's look at our safeties:

Berry
Lewis
Moldy poop

I think we all know what has to happen this draft if we take ANY defensive back. I'm not a fan of taking Jenkins that high. Kirkpatrick is just a slight reach. I wouldn't be disappointed in that.

But let's face it. That extra corner you're adding is still leaving open a HUGE weakness beyond our starting two safeties. That needs to get addressed fast here. Barron isn't a totally stupid pick. We should seriously consider it. If we're already trading down to possibly take DeCastro/Kirkpatrick/Perry, then Barron needs to be mentioned in that mix as well

RealSNR 03-20-2012 05:51 PM

Can you imagine facing Manning with an injury to either safety? Rashard Langford ain't gonna save you.

evolve27 03-20-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8477050)
Flowers
Routt
(Arenas)- full time nickel
Brown/Daniels- if Brown doesn't improve this year, Daniels has shown enough to be very effective

That's pretty ****ing deep. Now let's look at our safeties:

Berry
Lewis
Moldy poop

I think we all know what has to happen this draft if we take ANY defensive back. I'm not a fan of taking Jenkins that high. Kirkpatrick is just a slight reach. I wouldn't be disappointed in that.

But let's face it. That extra corner you're adding is still leaving open a HUGE weakness beyond our starting two safeties. That needs to get addressed fast here. Barron isn't a totally stupid pick. We should seriously consider it. If we're already trading down to possibly take DeCastro/Kirkpatrick/Perry, then Barron needs to be mentioned in that mix as well

I thought we got rid of Daniels?

evolve27 03-20-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8477059)
Can you imagine facing Manning with an injury to either safety? Rashard Langford ain't gonna save you.

I think Langford cut too.

Ming the Merciless 03-20-2012 05:57 PM

Hmm I'm not sure......

Did we get Arenas with 2B or 3 last year.......?

I would say with pick one especially you don't even think about position at all, you just get the best player. So if that kid isn't the best overall player, clearly, I say no.

RealSNR 03-20-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evolve27 (Post 8477067)
I think Langford cut too.

According to the internet they're both still under contract. At least Daniels is anyway.

BossChief 03-20-2012 06:04 PM

If we have Barron and Berry (ahhh shit, another killer b) as safeties, anybody looking to attack us deep would be in for a surprise.

Langford was a restricted FA, but we didn't chose to exercise our rights to him so he is now a free agent.

RealSNR 03-20-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 8477129)
If we have Barron and Berry (ahhh shit, another killer b) as safeties, anybody looking to attack us deep would be in for a surprise.

Langford was a restricted FA, but we didn't chose to exercise our rights to him so he is now a free agent.

He'll come back. They aaaaall come back.

bevischief 03-20-2012 06:10 PM

I would rather go safety before corner back.

Wilson8 03-20-2012 08:41 PM

I don't think Pioli will invest that high in another safety, both with 1st round draft pick and with money. Berry's contract was for $60 million. Lewis as a 5th round pick, has been a low cost good player for the Chiefs. The Chiefs could get a better safety than Lewis, but not sure they are prepared to make that investment.

RealSNR 03-20-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson8 (Post 8477808)
I don't think Pioli will invest that high in another safety, both with 1st round draft pick and with money. Berry's contract was for $60 million. Lewis as a 5th round pick, has been a low cost good player for the Chiefs. The Chiefs could get a better safety than Lewis, but not sure they are prepared to make that investment.

And after Lewis?

We haven't signed any safety depth this free agent period. We're going to need to get some guys in the draft, and I'd like to see them invest pretty heavily, actually. We need a quality player to back up. I'm sick of McGraw and Pissycat****y

BossChief 03-20-2012 09:21 PM

Routt gave up how many touchdowns last year?

Sure would be nice to have a playmaker playing right behind him....especially if SR goes down and Brown gets thrust into the starters role.

The kid is a damn good player that would be on the field a lot.

Don't forget, Berry is coming off an ACL and Lewis has missed games both years with us.

A guy like Barron would make this defensive secondary scary as hell.

loochy 03-20-2012 09:22 PM

we should draft a corner, wait for him to get good, then let him walk in FA

Wilson8 03-20-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8477821)
And after Lewis?

We haven't signed any safety depth this free agent period. We're going to need to get some guys in the draft, and I'd like to see them invest pretty heavily, actually. We need a quality player to back up. I'm sick of McGraw and Pissycat****y

Completely agree that the Chief's need to improve at safety and I think they will with a lower cost free agent or maybe a mid round draft pick.

Ming the Merciless 03-20-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 8478057)
we should draft a corner, wait for him to get good, then let him walk in FA

ROFL

Blick 03-20-2012 10:00 PM

I think Barron could be a real possibility. We've already added insurance for Charles and Moeaki with Hillis and Boss, so I think we could look to help Berry out at safety as well.

Direckshun 03-20-2012 10:11 PM

Barron makes no ****ing sense.

Berry plays like 95% of our defensive snaps, and will be a Chief for 10 years.

An insurance policy isn't worth the #11 overall.

Corner is different -- we can let Routt go after a season or two if we have to.

We're not letting Berry go anywhere, ever.

Blick 03-20-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 8478259)
Barron makes no ****ing sense.

Berry plays like 95% of our defensive snaps, and will be a Chief for 10 years.

An insurance policy isn't worth the #11 overall.

Corner is different -- we can let Routt go after a season or two if we have to.

We're not letting Berry go anywhere, ever.

:spock: They can play at the same time, and be awesome.

Wilson8 03-20-2012 10:19 PM

CB Casey Hayward from Vanderbilt looked good in the Senior Bowl practices and game. Good or bad, he has a lot of the qualities that Pioli looks for in the draft. Good SEC player, team captain, Senior Bowl standout, good vertical and broad jump, etc..

He's projected to be a 3rd round pick.

Jalil Brown seems to have Chiefs fans really liking him or hating him. He has a lot of good physical attributes but when I've watched him in practice and games, he seems to get beat a lot or does a lot of holding and grabbing the receiver to keep from getting beat.

I hope Jalil doesn't end up being another Donald Washington.

Chief_For_Life58 03-20-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8477821)
And after Lewis?

that ss from notre dame looked pretty good at the combine. never watched his tape or anything though. definitely looked like an upgrade to mcgraws dumb ass though

KC Hawks 03-20-2012 10:34 PM

Drafting Barron and moving Berry to FS (which I think would fully utilize his talents) is intriguing.

Direckshun 03-20-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blick (Post 8478276)
:spock: They can play at the same time, and be awesome.

Neither is a natural center fielder.

Direckshun 03-20-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson8 (Post 8478290)
CB Casey Hayward from Vanderbilt looked good in the Senior Bowl practices and game. Good or bad, he has a lot of the qualities that Pioli looks for in the draft. Good SEC player, team captain, Senior Bowl standout, good vertical and broad jump, etc..

Yup. Certainly someone to keep an eye on.

Direckshun 03-20-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Hawks (Post 8478348)
Drafting Barron and moving Berry to FS (which I think would fully utilize his talents) is intriguing.

Sheesh.

Why don't we just move Albert to RT.

KC Hawks 03-20-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 8478363)
Sheesh.

Why don't we just move Albert to RT.

Berry played FS his first two years in college and racked up 12 interceptions.

Direckshun 03-20-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Hawks (Post 8478370)
Berry played FS his first two years in college and racked up 12 interceptions.

And Albert played guard.

Put your best talent in the best places for them.

Berry is a line of scrimmage seek-and-destroy machine, with spot coverage on tight ends.

He can play free, but why waste that talent?

Rasputin 03-20-2012 10:43 PM

I want BPA and not care as much for need in the first round. If we can upgrade a position then we can make a trade with one of the vets that is holding us back.

RealSNR 03-20-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson8 (Post 8478290)

Jalil Brown seems to have Chiefs fans really liking him or hating him. He has a lot of good physical attributes but when I've watched him in practice and games, he seems to get beat a lot or does a lot of holding and grabbing the receiver to keep from getting beat.

I hope Jalil doesn't end up being another Donald Washington.

Funny you should mention Donald Washington. It's kind of funny how the Chiefs are fans of taking the unknown guy from a pair of corners on a college team later in the draft.

Donald Washington teamed up with Malcom Jenkings at Ohio State, and Jalil Brown played across from Jimmy Smith at Colorado.

BOOKMARK THIS POST, GUYS: The Chiefs will take DeQuan Menzie in the 4th round of the 2012 NFL Draft. You heard it here first. I am saving this post and will shove it in all ya'll's faces when this comes true.

Direckshun 03-20-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8478389)
Funny you should mention Donald Washington. It's kind of funny how the Chiefs are fans of taking the unknown guy from a pair of senior corners on a college team later in the draft.

Donald Washington teamed up with Malcom Jenkings at Ohio State, and Jalil Brown played across from Jimmy Smith at Colorado.

BOOKMARK THIS POST, GUYS: The Chiefs will take DeQuan Menzie in the 4th round of the 2012 NFL Draft. You heard it here first. I am saving this post and will shove it in all ya'll's faces when this comes true.

Heh.

KC Hawks 03-20-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 8478376)
And Albert played guard.

Berry is a line of scrimmage seek-and-destroy machine, with spot coverage on tight ends.

There's no doubt he can be a great SS ala Polamalu. But coming out of college I thought he was an Ed Reed clone. And IMO, Reed > Polamalu.

NJChiefsFan 03-20-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Hawks (Post 8478407)
There's no doubt he can be a great SS ala Polamalu. But coming out of college I thought he was an Ed Reed clone. And IMO, Reed > Polamalu.

I think he is a little bit of both.

KC Hawks 03-20-2012 10:58 PM

Obviously, we don't need to draft a starting safety, and I like Lewis. But like I said, drafting Barron is intriguing.

BossChief 03-20-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 8478376)
And Albert played guard.

Less contact at free safety for a rehabbing player wouldn't be all bad.

Rasputin 03-21-2012 12:39 AM

I woulnd't complain if we got a top notch CB in the first round.

Titty Meat 03-21-2012 01:36 AM

Drafting a CB round 1 would be stupid.

It's either

Tannehill

Pass Rusher

Fritz88 03-21-2012 02:23 AM

Doesn't matter. Romeo will figure out a way to own PM.

I want pass rushers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rasputin 03-21-2012 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz88 (Post 8478711)
Doesn't matter. Romeo will figure out a way to own PM.

I want pass rushers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep we need pass rush. We need compitition to light a fire under T Jax too. I don't have much expectations for him to go to the next level of play. I think he has peaked in his development stage.

Wilson8 03-21-2012 05:25 AM

In an 810 radio interview the other day, they asked Randy Cross about the Chiefs and Brandon Carr. He said that no doubt Carr was a better CB than Routt but it comes down to where best to spend the money. He said the Chiefs would be better served by spending the money they saved on Carr on a pass rush. He said a good pass rush will make the CBs play that much better.