ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Inflation Watch Thread - Holy Guacamole (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=262083)

BIG_DADDY 08-05-2012 04:45 PM

Inflation Watch Thread - Holy Guacamole

I guess some of that liquidity is hitting the system now. Just went grocery shopping and stopped at the Fish Market. After that I went to Target to pick up a foam roller. $3 avocado, really? $43 a pound for King Crab up $5lb. in just the last week. $30.76 a pound for Halibut. Target had a foam roller for $26.95 plus tax for a piece of friggen foam. Hello Amazon. Went to SF the other day and got two martini’s. The damage, $30 plus tax and tip and some other fee they hitting customers up for these days to pay for their employees health care, all for a couple splashes of vodka. The black market is really going to start flourishing. I already source and buy all of my food directly in Southern Oregon and bring it back down with me. It’s all cash only, even the butcher. I would like to have those kinds of contacts here but it is a lot harder. Southern Oregon is a unique place. So what’s it like where you live and where are you seeing inflation and how are you dealing with it? Unfortunately I think this is just the very beginning especially when it comes to quality food.

BigRedChief 08-05-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 8793252)
I guess some of that liquidity is hitting the system now. Just went grocery shopping and stopped at the Fish Market. After that I went to Target to pick up a foam roller. $3 avocado, really? $43 a pound for King Crab up $5lb. in just the last week. $30.76 a pound for Halibut. Target had a foam roller for $26.95 plus tax for a piece of friggen foam. Hello Amazon. Went to SF the other day and got two martini’s. The damage, $30 plus tax and tip and some other fee they hitting customers up for these days to pay for their employees health care, all for a couple splashes of vodka. The black market is really going to start flourishing. I already source and buy all of my food directly in Southern Oregon and bring it back down with me. It’s all cash only, even the butcher. I would like to have those kinds of contacts here but it is a lot harder. Southern Oregon is a unique place. So what’s it like where you live and where are you seeing inflation and how are you dealing with it? Unfortunately I think this is just the very beginning especially when it comes to quality food.

My rudementary understanding is that the cost of oil and now the drought is driving up food prices, not inflation.

BigMeatballDave 08-05-2012 04:51 PM

Eh, I don't like avocados...

notorious 08-05-2012 04:51 PM

CP has gone completely insane.

Bwana 08-05-2012 04:52 PM

Oh you can bet things are going to get much worse when the full effects of this drought are felt.

Setsuna 08-05-2012 04:54 PM

Will this affect the east coast?

Bwana 08-05-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 8793281)
Will this affect the east coast?

:eek:

stevieray 08-05-2012 04:56 PM

beef?

....better enjoy it while you can still afford it.

Setsuna 08-05-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 8793282)
:eek:

ROFL Will it? Serious question...

R8RFAN 08-05-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 8793285)
beef?

oH i AM, I ate a fat ass Ribeye for breakfast today, then had to go eat a shitty Taco Salad with the wifes vegetarian family at lunch....

Bwana 08-05-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 8793286)
ROFL Will it? Serious question...

Do you feel the east coast is in some kind of a secular universe, immune from price increases?

BIG_DADDY 08-05-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 8793277)
Oh you can bet things are going to get much worse when the full effects of this drought are felt.

I am sure but fish has been going way up and that doesn't have anything to do with the drought. The martini's and foam roller either. I know the cost of doing business out here is expensive but that is just ridiculous.

Nightfyre 08-05-2012 05:01 PM

It will especially affect the east coast. You all have that much more shipping to pay. Shipping takes gas, gas takes oil, oil prices are going nuts. You do the math.

R8RFAN 08-05-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 8793296)
I am sure but fish has been going way up and that doesn't have anything to do with the drought. The martini's and foam roller either. I know the cost of doing business out here is expensive but that is just ridiculous.

Fuel prices....

BigRedChief 08-05-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 8793292)
oH i AM, I ate a fat ass Ribeye for breakfast today, then had to go eat a shitty Taco Salad with the wifes vegetarian family at lunch....

hey, sacrifices have to be made to maintain marital harmony.

Bwana 08-05-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

beef?

There is a lot of truth the that. Right now a lot of ranchers are selling off because there is limited natural feed due to drought conditions. After that cattle supply goes through the market, the price will sky rocket down the road. I'm going to run out within the next two weeks and buy a half a beef, I'm due.

R8RFAN 08-05-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8793301)
hey, sacrifices have to be made to maintain marital harmony.

They are good people, they never say a word on my food .... Best in laws ever... They never bother me at all

BIG_DADDY 08-05-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

beef?

I am getting a side of beef and pork and pack the freezer. I love Southern Oregon. Super high quality black market meats at great prices.

Bwana 08-05-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 8793300)
Fuel prices....

Yep, that has a lot to do with it.

R8RFAN 08-05-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 8793302)
There is a lot of truth the that. Right now a lot of ranchers are selling off because there is limited natural feed due to drought conditions. After that cattle supply goes through the market, the price will sky rocket down the road. I'm going to run out within the next two weeks and buy a half a beef, I'm due.

I know that 20 oz bone in Ribeye at Longhorn is now an 18 oz Bone in for the same price...

BigRedChief 08-05-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 8793302)

How far down the road before the drought hits meat prices at the supermarket?

Chief Roundup 08-05-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

beef?

The price of Beef should be going down. The stockyards are full of cattle. People are selling off because they don't have hay and will not be able to afford grain and trying to purchase hay from the parts of the country that is not droughts stricken. Chicken is another meat that is climbing quickly.

Nightfyre 08-05-2012 05:07 PM

I cooked up a nice boneless ribeye tonight. Delicious. Serve with some asparagus cooked in butter.

R8RFAN 08-05-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 8793307)
Yep, that has a lot to do with it.

Interest rates need to go up in this country for a recovery to happen.....
3% for a house but 30% for a credit card rate is a major part of that....

Weird thing is that when America quits buying something the prices are suppose to go down but food prices are skyrocketing.

R8RFAN 08-05-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 8793314)
I cooked up a nice boneless ribeye tonight. Delicious. Serve with some asparagus cooked in butter.

3 mins seared on each side

Damn fine eating

BigRedChief 08-05-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 8793314)

Fired up the smoker today. Slow cooked a huge pork loin, a pork butt, about 10-12 chicken breasts and some hot dogs. Turned out really well.

Baby Lee 08-05-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8793271)
My rudementary understanding is that the cost of oil and now the drought is driving up food prices, not inflation.

inflation = a phenomenon
oil, drought - possible causes

Your statement is like saying 'my rudimentary understanding is that Matt Cassel and defensive miscues kept us out of the playoffs, not our win/loss record.'

Otter 08-05-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8793320)
Fired up the smoker today. Slow cooked a huge pork loin, a pork butt, about 10-12 chicken breasts and some hot dogs. Turned out really well.

There's some property literally one house down from me. I think you would make a fine neighbor.

qabbaan 08-05-2012 05:14 PM

Inflation is happening all over the supermarket and has been for a year or two.

Priced ground coffee lately? It's outrageous.

BIG_DADDY 08-05-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 8793313)
The price of Beef should be going down. The stockyards are full of cattle. People are selling off because they don't have hay and will not be able to afford grain and trying to purchase hay from the parts of the country that is not droughts stricken. Chicken is another meat that is climbing quickly.

Chicken is the one thing I can't get cheap directly if I want organic free range chickens. I think I paid about $3.75 a pound last year.

R8RFAN 08-05-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8793326)

Yep... Packages are getting smaller and the price is going up at the same time.

BigMeatballDave 08-05-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8793320)

How do you smoke a loin without it drying out?

BIG_DADDY 08-05-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8793326)

The espresso we use at the office is $15.99 a pound.

BigRedChief 08-05-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 8793323)
There's some property literally one house down from me. I think you would make a fine neighbor.

:thumb: That would be a fun time.

Most of these people down here dont use a smoker. They do grill alot. So, my smoker and rub smell/smoke going for like 8 hours does get the neighboorhood asking about what I'm BBQ'ng.

Mr. Laz 08-05-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8793311)

i wish i had the freezer room to go ahead an buy a side of beef

Bwana 08-05-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8793311)

I have a friend of mine that forecasts ag prices. I will see him mid week, I'll get back to you. I'm trying to time my beef buy at the market low, but I don't want to wait to long either.

qabbaan 08-05-2012 05:20 PM

It's not as simple as corn going up = beef going up. It makes beef go up an it also makes all reasonable substitutes (all other meat) go up as people flee to cheaper substitutes. The price issues will affect not only meat but everything else too because of internal industry opportunity cost and possible supply disruption, not just scarcity. A high tide raises all boats.

The inflation figures are misleading because for several years the government has been pointing to a figure that is obscured by deflation in the housing market. If real inflation of household goods were measured and publicized people would have their eyes opened.

Mr. Laz 08-05-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 8793331)

they try to get tricky with that smaller package shit all the time now.

Or the side size package but the bag is only half full. :cuss:

Mr. Laz 08-05-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 8793343)
I have a friend of mine that forecasts ag prices. I will see him mid week, I'll get back to you. I'm trying to time my beef buy at the market low, but I don't want to wait to long either.

make sure you let us all know please

this is kinda scary :huh:

Nightfyre 08-05-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8793344)
If real inflation of household goods were measured and publicized people would have their eyes opened.

This is very true. The government creates there own nifty little formula to make the inflation match up with whatever they want. Its a bunch of bullshit.

Bwana 08-05-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8793338)
:thumb: That would be a fun time.

Most of these people down here dont use a smoker. They do grill alot. So, my smoker and rub smell/smoke going for like 8 hours does get the neighboorhood asking about what I'm BBQ'ng.

I get the same thing when I do a 8-12 hour smoke. Montana is big on beef, but not very many folks have smokers, or if they do, they have no clue what they are doing. Nothing like abusing the neighbors. :D

Mr. Flopnuts 08-05-2012 05:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I enjoyed a delicious 28 oz Porterhouse last night with the wife. It cost me 27 bucks after tax. From the butcher in our grocery store

BigRedChief 08-05-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8793332)
How do you smoke a loin without it drying out?

I marinated the meat overnight. Poke holes in the loin with a fork to get the rub/sauce down into the meat. I use a cheater smoker. I put the wood chips in a bowl of water. The water helps hydrate the air in the smoker so it doesn't dry it out. I never smoke meat at greater than 200 degrees to alos help with drying out meat.

Mr. Laz 08-05-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8793358)
I marinated the meat overnight. Poke holes in the loin with a fork to get the rub/sauce down into the meat. I use a cheater smoker. I put the wood chips in a bowl of water. The water helps hydrate the air in the smoker so it doesn't dry it out. I never smoke meat at greater than 200 degrees to alos help with drying out meat.

you don't use one of those big needles to inject the stuff into the meat?

i watch the food channel some o:-)

qabbaan 08-05-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 8793352)
This is very true. The government creates there own nifty little formula to make the inflation match up with whatever they want. Its a bunch of bullshit.

The drought is being used as an excuse but the drought is 2-3 months old, the economy has been stuck in the mud for 4 years

R8RFAN 08-05-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 8793357)
I enjoyed a delicious 28 oz Porterhouse last night with the wife. It cost me 27 bucks after tax. From the butcher in our grocery store

Thats a badass Porterhouse....

Nightfyre 08-05-2012 05:28 PM

I love how any topic closely related to food devolves into a conversation about BBQ. CP makes me so happy sometimes.

Bwana 08-05-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 8793331)

The first thing I noticed that with, was dog food several years ago. Remember when all the dog food bags were 50 pounds. Then it went to 42, then 40 and now you see 35-38 pound bags for more money, sneaky bastards.

Nightfyre 08-05-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 8793368)
The first thing I noticed that with, was dog food several years ago. Remember when all the dog food bags were 50 pounds. Then it went to 42, then 40 and now you see 35-38 pound bags for more money, sneaky bastards.

Yea, it costs more, but its better for my back and will probably save me on painkillers in the long run. It's all about perspective, man!

mikeyis4dcats. 08-05-2012 05:29 PM

so? grocery prices change weekly. based on a one or 2 week observation, you know nothing. So crab was $5 cheaper last week - that could have been due to a sale, due to the time of season, etc. produce especially varies in price widely over the season, so paying $1 for an avocado last week and $3 this week mean nothing.

not saying prices aren't rising for food, they are, but you're having a fit over nothing IMHO.

R8RFAN 08-05-2012 05:29 PM

I am gonna have to chill out on the steaks though... My Doc is gonna chew my ass out. Seriously I have been hooked on them for atleast 3 months now.... Eating way too much Beef

Bwana 08-05-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 8793357)

Steakzilla!

Mr. Flopnuts 08-05-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 8793365)
Thats a badass Porterhouse....

It was worth buying. A joy to prepare and devour. My wife made noises eating it usually reserved for other rooms. #winning

Nightfyre 08-05-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 8793374)
too much Beef

There is no such thing, sir. No such thing.

R8RFAN 08-05-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 8793368)

Yes sir it's a Jedi mind trick... I am surprised 2 liters haven't reduced size

Bwana 08-05-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 8793372)
Yea, it costs more, but its better for my back and will probably save me on painkillers in the long run. It's all about perspective, man!

Good for your back perhaps but your wallet is getting "horsed."

Mr. Laz 08-05-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 8793373)
so? grocery prices change weekly. based on a one or 2 week observation, you know nothing. So crab was $5 cheaper last week - that could have been due to a sale, due to the time of season, etc.

not saying prices aren't rising for food, they are, but you're having a fit over nothing IMHO.

http://www.newsrealblog.com/wp-conte...aghdad_bob.png

R8RFAN 08-05-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 8793379)
There is no such thing, sir. No such thing.

I know man, ate a 20 oz bone in at Texas roadhouse Saturday while RV hunting... Then about a 12 oz this morning for breakfast (nothing else but coffee)

I love those bastards

Buehler445 08-05-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 8793333)
The espresso we use at the office is $15.99 a pound.

You have Espresso at the office? Damn man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8793341)
i wish i had the freezer room to go ahead an buy a side of beef

Go buy a freezer. It will probably pay for itself.

Quote:

Can you PM me what he says about corn and particularly wheat? And what basis his analysis is on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8793344)
It's not as simple as corn going up = beef going up. It makes beef go up an it also makes all reasonable substitutes (all other meat) go up as people flee to cheaper substitutes. The price issues will affect not only meat but everything else too because of internal industry opportunity cost and possible supply disruption, not just scarcity. A high tide raises all boats.

The inflation figures are misleading because for several years the government has been pointing to a figure that is obscured by deflation in the housing market. If real inflation of household goods were measured and publicized people would have their eyes opened.

Corn price has very little to do with meat prices. Corn prices affect feedlot profitability and that is about it.

I talked to a guy from the KC Fed reserve 2 years ago, and he told me the inflation numbers used by the government do not include food and fuel. Laughable.

And if you guys want inflation, check out fertilizer prices, particularly UAN and NH3. Phosphate went high in like 06 and never came back down. But Nitrogen has went through the goddamn roof.

BigRedChief 08-05-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8793362)
you don't use one of those big needles to inject the stuff into the meat?

i watch the food channel some o:-)

I probably should. It would make it better. I use a cheater smoker. That Phobia guy will spend all day watching his smoker, putting the wood in to keep it at the perfect temperature etc. And his results are much better than mine.

I do like smoking my own meats but I don't want to work that hard. :)

Mr. Laz 08-05-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8793391)
Go buy a freezer. It will probably pay for itself.

i really am thinking about it.

buy a freezer just for bulk meat etc so i can buy cheaper.

Buehler445 08-05-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8793398)

That and the meat quality is immensely better. If it is not, find a new butcher.

Baby Lee 08-05-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 8793382)
Yes sir it's a Jedi mind trick... I am surprised 2 liters haven't reduced size

I HAVE noticed that they are now selling 1 liters shaped like the 2 liter and the same price 2 liters were 6mos ago.

R8RFAN 08-05-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 8793407)
I HAVE noticed that they are now selling 1 liters shaped like the 2 liter and the same price 2 liters were 6mos ago.

Welp think about it.... what can you buy for 99 cents sometimes that you could buy for 99 cents in 1985?

WilliamTheIrish 08-05-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

We've got a few KS ranchers on this site.

Get Buehler in here. Farmers are culling herds all over the state. They can't feed em due to loss of hay/feed from the drought.

R8RFAN 08-05-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 8793412)

Get Buehler in here. Farmers are culling herds all over the state. They can't feed em due to loss of hay/feed from the drought.

That's what I am hearing... Prices low now because of a glut in the market but are going to explode soon

Bwana 08-05-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8793398)

Rip one on Craigs list or the local paper. People move, or kick the bucket all the time and there are some deals to be had out there.

Buehler445 08-05-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

That's what I've heard, but I'm not a cow man. Last year, there was a lot of hay in the north half of the country. Now the Texas drought has lightened, but there isn't hardly any hay in the system. As I understand it.

Bwana 08-05-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superfly Jimmy Snuka (Post 8793409)
Welp think about it.... what can you buy for 99 cents sometimes that you could buy for 99 cents in 1985?

An Amsterdam hooker?

BIG_DADDY 08-05-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 8793420)
Rip one on Craigs list or the local paper. People move, or kick the bucket all the time and there are some deals to be had out there.

They are cheap anyway, even new.

R8RFAN 08-05-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 8793428)
An Amsterdam hooker?

Point taken... I want to go there, Have you ever been?

Bwana 08-05-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

It's the same situation around here. There are stage II fire conditions all over the place, which tranlates into almost zero feed for the stock. Hay prices should also be through the roof this winter.

Bwana 08-05-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superfly Jimmy Snuka (Post 8793431)
Point taken... I want to go there, Have you ever been?

Yes I have. o:-)

R8RFAN 08-05-2012 05:56 PM

Grass in NC is greener than I have seen it in years... Go Figure

R8RFAN 08-05-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 8793437)
Yes I have. o:-)

Did you see them behind the glass and pick out what you wanted?

BIG_DADDY 08-05-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8793391)
You have Espresso at the office? Damn man.

A Rancilio, it rocks!!!

btlook1 08-05-2012 06:00 PM

It's the same here in SeKs. People are already feeding hay they had reserved for this winter. We have no grass and what little we do is brown and dried up.
getting a whole beef is expensive but worth it in the long run....never again will we eat Wal-mart beef. We put our last 4-h steer in the freezer last year. Costs us about 2K to purchase, feed and process but it was worth it. I now have approx 1.5 beef in the freezer....stock up as things may get rough this winter price wise!

Bwana 08-05-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 8793430)
They are cheap anyway, even new.

If I was hunting down an extra freezer, I would try to find an older one. The compressors in the new ones are made to run 3-5 years, complete garbage. Some of those older ones would work for decades. It is worth takign the time to find an older one and you should be able to rip it, if someone is moving, IMHO. Craigs List.

Kyle DeLexus 08-05-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 8793377)
It was worth buying. A joy to prepare and devour. My wife made noises eating it usually reserved for other rooms. #winning

She faked an orgasm at the dinner table? :)

BigRedChief 08-05-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 8793451)
If I was hunting down an extra freezer, I would try to find an older one. The compressors in the new ones are made to run 3-5 years, complete garbage. Some of those older ones would work for decades. It is worth takign the time to find an older one and you should be able to rip it, if someone is moving, IMHO. Craigs List.

thats some top notch advise. :thumb: