ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News RIP Earl Weaver (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269075)

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-19-2013 08:12 AM

RIP Earl Weaver

On the day that the Orioles are holding their annual FanFest, news has spread through the Baltimore Convention Center that Hall of Fame manager Earl Weaver passed away last night. He was 82.

Weaver died while on a cruise ship, according to people close to the Orioles organization.

Weaver managed the Orioles from 1968-82, and again from 1985-86. He won four American League pennants and one World Series, and compiled a 1,480-1,060 record.

The Orioles honored Weaver with a statue unveiling on June 30 in the former picnic area beyond the bullpens at Camden Yards. He was invited each spring training to address the players and coaches.

Weaver lived in Pembroke Pines, Fla. with his wife, Marianna.

I'll pass along more information as it becomes available here at the Convention Center. A banner with Weaver's No. 4 is hanging above the main stage, and his jersey is displayed on the left side.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_...medium=twitter

One of the best will be missed.

Stewie 01-19-2013 08:13 AM

He was one fiery dude. RIP!

threebag 01-19-2013 08:14 AM

RIP Earl

redsurfer11 01-19-2013 08:17 AM

One of the Best ever.

Stewie 01-19-2013 08:22 AM

NSFW - Language

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kl-4FSRYagc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mlyonsd 01-19-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 9332643)
NSFW - Language

ROFL That was awesome. "You're here for one reason...".

RIP Earl, loved watching you when I was a kid.

stonedstooge 01-19-2013 08:44 AM

Earl"letshaveasmoke"Weaver. Used to love watching him go off on umps. He was one of the best

CoMoChief 01-19-2013 08:48 AM

His tirades are classics!!!

I love it when managers/coaches lose their cool....it's makes great TV

RIP

Nzoner 01-19-2013 08:51 AM

A classic RIP Earl

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ssx1hNSs4TI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mikey23545 01-19-2013 08:54 AM

One of the old-style managers...He never minded letting umpires know what he thought...

RIP, Earl.

seclark 01-19-2013 08:54 AM

rip earl.
sec

stonedstooge 01-19-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 9332685)
A classic RIP Earl

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ssx1hNSs4TI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thrown out of 91 games. Awesome

mikey23545 01-19-2013 09:01 AM

One thing about Earl - they say keeping all your feelings bottled up inside is bad for you, that old bastard should have lived to be 130...

boogblaster 01-19-2013 09:48 AM

RIP .. old style winner .....

BlackHelicopters 01-19-2013 10:07 AM

Good luck arguing with God.

houstonwhodat 01-19-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

NSFW - Language

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kl-4FSRYagc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dayum haha

gblowfish 01-19-2013 12:13 PM

I've always liked Earl. Jim Palmer once said about him: "The only thing Earl Weaver knows about pitching is, he couldn't hit it."

KCSPORTSNUT 01-19-2013 12:21 PM

As a player in the Reds farm system late 70's early 80's i must say he was one one the best baseball people i've had the pleasure of being around.RIP Earl.

mdchiefsfan 01-19-2013 01:11 PM

RIP Earl.

kregger 01-19-2013 01:20 PM

RIP Earl. Here's a great quote:
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all."

Third Eye 01-19-2013 01:43 PM

I was very saddened when I heard this. One of my good friends is his grandson, he's pretty torn up about it as they were quite close.

Ace Gunner 01-19-2013 01:52 PM

One of the best. RIP

tony77 01-19-2013 02:14 PM

R.I.P. Was a good QB.

chefsos 01-19-2013 02:57 PM

Oh, damn, I just saw this. Shit. I remember thinking, when the Orioles were planning the statues for all the HOF'ers, that they'd better not fart around and get it done before one of them was gone. I'm gonna miss that little rooster.

chefsos 01-19-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

NSFW - Language

Look at the clock and the box score on the scoreboard at about 1:50.

IT'S THE FIRST INNING!

He didn't wait for the events of the game to bring him to full boil. He was there all the time.

DanT 01-19-2013 03:18 PM

He had some very funny stories about some of the scrapes he got into with opponents and with hecklers. Great manager and good for baseball.

chefsos 01-19-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kregger (Post 9333143)
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all."

I've been considering a quote for my sig. This is it.

DanT 01-19-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kregger (Post 9333143)

Yeah, I think about that quote a lot when watching basketball and football.

Stewie 01-19-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefsos (Post 9333365)
Look at the clock and the box score on the scoreboard at about 1:50.

IT'S THE FIRST INNING!

He didn't wait for the events of the game to bring him to full boil. He was there all the time.

I think the ump called a balk. They started early, too.

If you look at the scoreboard you'll also see former Royal Al Cowens is batting.

Demonpenz 01-19-2013 04:24 PM

I like when he goes

YOU HERE TO **** ME OVER
The Umpire:WRONG

scho63 01-19-2013 04:37 PM

I always remember his argument style and his managing the Orioles against my Pirates twice in the World Series against Danny Murtaugh.

Great old school manager

Third Eye 01-19-2013 04:39 PM

My buddy's Facebook post regarding his grandfather:

Having Earl Weaver as a grandfather was the most amazing thing ever. He made the impossible seem possible. He made any dream seem obtainable. Here is a man who spent 21 years traveling the country in the minor leagues, only to go on to become a baseball Hall of Famer, and undisputedly one of the greatest mangers to ever play the game. When I was in the first few years of grade school he was still managing the Orioles. I distinctly remember getting his 1986 Topps baseball card on the very top of a pack I opened in the parking lot of Venture. It was a huge source of pride and confidence in my younger years, and continues to be today.
But more than that, he was the most charismatic man I've ever met. There was nothing like being in a room with him. He was, for a lack of better vocabulary, the coolest. I'm happy I got to see him as often as I did growing up. His frequent visits to Saint Louis were always something to look forward to. He had a family that adored him, and a wonderful wife, my Grandma Marianna, that has always been right by his side.

As I grew into a teenager, he thought I was weird, and he let me know it! I remember after playing and singing "American Pie" on my guitar at a family get together, he told me to cut my hair and learn something other than that "damn Apple Pie song". The first time I brought Tammy out to meet him, we were about 17. After a couple drinks he looks at me and says "You think you're James Dean, but you're not.". Then he pauses and looks at Tammy. He looks back at me and says "or, maybe you are.". Everything out of his mouth was snarky and funny, although I don't think he was trying to be either of those things. He just told it like it was, and you had no choice but to smile at his outlook on things.

When I grew up, he loved the 7 Shot Screamers and Clownvis. He always kept up with how I was doing, where I was going, and how much money I was getting paid for these gigs. He wasn't too happy with Clownvis on America's Got Talent, one of his favorite shows. But when I talked to him about it, I explained that when I was up there arguing with those judges, I was evoking HIM! I could tell he got it, although I also realized old people don't necessarily understand a punk rock attitude. He ended that conversation by saying, "Well if your happy with it, I trust ya.".
My family and I will all miss him so much. He was truly amazing. It is nice to see all the great things being said about him in the media today. I am him biggest fan, and feel truly blessed to call him Grandpa Earl.

chefsos 01-19-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 9333537)
My buddy's Facebook post regarding his grandfather:

Having Earl Weaver as a grandfather was the most amazing thing ever. He made the impossible seem possible. He made any dream seem obtainable. Here is a man who spent 21 years traveling the country in the minor leagues, only to go on to become a baseball Hall of Famer, and undisputedly one of the greatest mangers to ever play the game. When I was in the first few years of grade school he was still managing the Orioles. I distinctly remember getting his 1986 Topps baseball card on the very top of a pack I opened in the parking lot of Venture. It was a huge source of pride and confidence in my younger years, and continues to be today.
But more than that, he was the most charismatic man I've ever met. There was nothing like being in a room with him. He was, for a lack of better vocabulary, the coolest. I'm happy I got to see him as often as I did growing up. His frequent visits to Saint Louis were always something to look forward to. He had a family that adored him, and a wonderful wife, my Grandma Marianna, that has always been right by his side.

As I grew into a teenager, he thought I was weird, and he let me know it! I remember after playing and singing "American Pie" on my guitar at a family get together, he told me to cut my hair and learn something other than that "damn Apple Pie song". The first time I brought Tammy out to meet him, we were about 17. After a couple drinks he looks at me and says "You think you're James Dean, but you're not.". Then he pauses and looks at Tammy. He looks back at me and says "or, maybe you are.". Everything out of his mouth was snarky and funny, although I don't think he was trying to be either of those things. He just told it like it was, and you had no choice but to smile at his outlook on things.

When I grew up, he loved the 7 Shot Screamers and Clownvis. He always kept up with how I was doing, where I was going, and how much money I was getting paid for these gigs. He wasn't too happy with Clownvis on America's Got Talent, one of his favorite shows. But when I talked to him about it, I explained that when I was up there arguing with those judges, I was evoking HIM! I could tell he got it, although I also realized old people don't necessarily understand a punk rock attitude. He ended that conversation by saying, "Well if your happy with it, I trust ya.".
My family and I will all miss him so much. He was truly amazing. It is nice to see all the great things being said about him in the media today. I am him biggest fan, and feel truly blessed to call him Grandpa Earl.

Wow. That's a great story. I can just hear Weaver saying those things.

Can I steal that and post it on an Orioles board? I think they'd appreciate it.

The_Doctor10 01-19-2013 07:00 PM

I give it four days before he's ejected from heaven.

I'm only 24 so I can't say I witnessed any of his accomplishments firsthand, but one of my favorite books growing up was The Umpire Strikes Back by Ron Luciano, and it's sad to see Earl go.

Third Eye 01-19-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefsos (Post 9333611)
Wow. That's a great story. I can just hear Weaver saying those things.

Can I steal that and post it on an Orioles board? I think they'd appreciate it.

I'm sure he'd be fine with that.

chefsos 01-19-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 9333816)
I'm sure he'd be fine with that.

Thank you. And him too. Also, my condolences to him for the loss of his grandfather.

Nzoner 01-19-2013 11:31 PM

NSFW but damn funny

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QWQbN0jFo_k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

chefsos 01-20-2013 01:14 AM

That "Manager's Corner" clip is hilarious. I've heard it many times. I wonder sometimes if Alice Sweet ever heard Earl's answer to her question.

Couple of random things:

-They had to change the DH rule because of Weaver. He'd name a random pitcher as the DH on the lineup card every day and then pinch hit for the guy when the spot came up, with the right hitter for the situation. Which leads to:

-A lot of modern accepted baseball practice regarding matchups, pinch hitting, platooning, and OPS are things he did 40 years ago.

-His '69-'82 O's averaged 97 wins per year, and failed to finish first or second two times.

-"I gave Cuellar more chances than my ex-wife."

-He never held a grudge (unless you were an umpire), ripping a player to shreds or pulling him from a game for a mental error one day, and starting with a clean slate, and the same player, the next day.