ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Time to call Jerry McGuire (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272649)

Planetman 04-30-2013 11:28 AM

Time to call Jerry McGuire

Geno Smith fire rep after fall to Jets

Thursday, as we've chronicled numerous times, wasn't the best day of Geno Smith's life. He spent all night on camera, not getting drafted, and probably was more than a little flustered that he was on camera, not getting drafted.

As such, he's decided to part ways with his agent. CBSSports.com's Bruce Feldman reports that Geno informed his agents "late last night" that he was moving on.

It shouldn't be entirely shocking to see Smith change representation.

The quarterback, presumably, was advised to attend the 2013 NFL Draft and accept the invitation from the NFL to sit in the green room during Round 1 of the draft on Thursday.

No one thought he'd actually spend the entire night in the green room and not end up with a team; the worst-case scenario involved someone trading back into the first round to grab him.

But when the Jets decided to pass on Smith at No. 13 and the Bills decided to take E.J. Manuel with the No. 16 pick, Smith's freefall began and he wasn't chosen until the Jets grabbed him in the second round at No. 39 overall.

It's possible, as Feldman noted on Twitter Tuesday, that Smith wants to link up with Joel Segal, who also represents former West Virginia teammate (and highly-coveted wide receiver/No. 8 overall pick) Tavon Austin.

Of course, maybe it's heightened expectations that doomed Smith:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...ft-day-plummet

Mr. Laz 04-30-2013 11:30 AM

sure, blame your rep ..... pussy

Titty Meat 04-30-2013 11:34 AM

Sounds like Bray.

ChiefsCountry 04-30-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9645987)
sure, blame your rep ..... pussy

Agent is the one getting the advice and talking to the teams. It makes perfect sense to fire the agent. You fall from potentially #1 when a left tackle from Central Michigan takes your money to the second round. Damn straight changes are a coming.

Hootie 04-30-2013 11:39 AM

I'd rather call Lizzie McGuire...

gblowfish 04-30-2013 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I like Patti McGwire....

-King- 04-30-2013 11:43 AM

Good decision.

Mr_Tomahawk 04-30-2013 11:47 AM

Pouting...again.

seaofred 04-30-2013 11:48 AM

Really liking the fact, that we didn't draft him. Doesn't seem to have the makeup you want in an NFL QB.

The Franchise 04-30-2013 11:49 AM

How is it pouting? His rep informed him NOT to participate in the Senior Bowl. That obviously backfired and aided in his drop.

Marcellus 04-30-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9646039)
Pouting...again.

This

and

This
Quote:

Originally Posted by seaofred (Post 9646041)
Really liking the fact, that we didn't draft him. Doesn't seem to have the makeup you want in an NFL QB.

:shake:

Its one thing to change agents but I would have at least done it as privately as possible. This makes it look like he is trying to shift blame, not a good sign.

Mr_Tomahawk 04-30-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9646045)
How is it pouting? His rep informed him NOT to participate in the Senior Bowl. That obviously backfired and aided in his drop.

But he didn't need to. He had NOTHING to prove.

/Genobators

DeepSouth 04-30-2013 11:54 AM

I wish Albert would fire his agent.

-King- 04-30-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seaofred (Post 9646041)

:spock: Because he switched agents?

-King- 04-30-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9646050)
This

and

This

:shake:

Its one thing to change agents but I would have at least done it as privately as possible. This makes it look like he is trying to shift blame, not a good sign.

WTF are you talking about? How is he not doing it as privately as possible? And how does it look like he's shifting blame?

Man, some of you guys are reaching.

seaofred 04-30-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9646097)
:spock: Because he switched agents?

It appears he's blaming his agents for his fall to the 2nd round and for him being in the green room. Nothing ever seems to be his fault.

-King- 04-30-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seaofred (Post 9646103)
It appears he's blaming his agents for his fall to the 2nd round and for him being in the green room. Nothing ever seems to be his fault.

Where the **** do you see that?

The Franchise 04-30-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seaofred (Post 9646103)

Link a ****ing direct quote from Geno or shut the **** up. Everything is assumption as to why he's firing them.

-King- 04-30-2013 12:09 PM

And even if that was the reason, why shouldn't he do it? If the person that is managing your career has no idea where you're going to be picked, that's a pretty big problem don't you think?

ToxSocks 04-30-2013 12:17 PM

LMAO

Man, some of you guys come off as real desperate to prove a point.

Fired his agent? ooooh red flag there, glad we didn't draft that guy.

:rolleyes:

Sassy Squatch 04-30-2013 12:22 PM

http://www.thedrawplay.com/comics/20...-GenoSmith.png

durtyrute 04-30-2013 12:34 PM

Why are NFL players put up on some magical pedestal? "You can't get upset, you should be better than that." It's madness! If most of the people saying that type of shit, lost the money he lost, they would be upset too.

Dave Lane 04-30-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9645994)
Sounds like Bray.

Bray should fire his rep. And that is a bitch move by Geno, his rep had less to do with this than the talking heads.

Setsuna 04-30-2013 12:36 PM

ROFL Geno is going to be beast. Funny how people are deflecting now that he isn't a Chief.

Marcellus 04-30-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9646101)
WTF are you talking about? How is he not doing it as privately as possible? And how does it look like he's shifting blame?

Who do you suppose told CBS-sports that he was firing his agent? You think it was the agent?

Either some of "us" are reaching or some of "you" have some blinders on. I wonder which it is.

Marcellus 04-30-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 9646174)
ROFL Geno is going to be a bust. Funny how people are deflecting now that he isn't a Chief.

You only had 2 letters wrong in your post, which is better than usual.

saphojunkie 04-30-2013 12:38 PM

I had a huge boner for drafting Geno, but his reaction on draft night absolutely gave me pause. I'm not saying we shouldn't have drafted him, but it really gave me pause.

With word that he will be starting as a rookie in NY, and it's just sad. All signs are pointing to him busting hard, and not his fault. The Jets wrote the book on how to **** up a young QB.

Chiefnj2 04-30-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

He would have been exposed as being unable to play under center.

Marcellus 04-30-2013 12:45 PM

From the article -
There's a rationale for not keeping your representation after Thursday's nightmare. But if "not being the No. 1 overall pick" is the logic, then Smith has sorely overvalued himself.

I wonder if Clay has actually been Geno Smith all along?

Hootie 04-30-2013 12:45 PM

Geno can't be a beast.

According to GoChiefs, a 2nd round QB has a 2% chance to be a franchise QB.

vailpass 04-30-2013 12:47 PM

There are things I don't like about how Geno carries himself and this might be related to them. But I could never blame a man for firing his money man if he feels he is under performing.

Marcellus 04-30-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie (Post 9646191)
Geno can't be a beast.

LMAO Yea I guess he statistically ****ed himself.

-King- 04-30-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9646175)
Who do you suppose told CBS-sports that he was firing his agent? You think it was the agent?

Either some of "us" are reaching or some of "you" have some blinders on. I wonder which it is.

Um, players and their agents are public knowledge.

Finding out that a player has fired his agent isn't exactly hard.

Just Passin' By 04-30-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9646104)
Where the **** do you see that?

Quote:

Per Mehta, Smith fired his agents because he believed he “would be and should be” the first overall pick in the draft.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-fires-agents/

Quote:

How about this: Geno Smith thought he would be & should be the No. 1 overall pick, I'm told. That's why he fired his agents.
https://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN/statu...77886018244608

v.

Quote:

Geno Smith on Firing Agent: "I don't want to shed too much light on it but it's not because of whole draft experience"
https://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN/statu...91303072444417

It depends on whether you believe the QB or the writer's source(s).

BlackHelicopters 04-30-2013 12:56 PM

Glad we almost drafted him. Pussy.

Demonpenz 04-30-2013 12:58 PM

He's going to love it when they ask him to run the ball.

Fat Elvis 04-30-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie (Post 9646191)
Geno can't be a beast.

That's OK, he can take lessons from Sanchez on how to be a franchise QB; he was drafted in the first round.

"OK Geno, the first thing you gotta do is get coach to get a tattoo of you somewhere on his body...."

Hootie 04-30-2013 01:01 PM

I was just making fun of GoChiefs for his 2nd round QB argument when his boy ended up going in the 2nd round.

MatriculatingHank 04-30-2013 01:10 PM

AND YOU WANT TO BE OUR QB?

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.aoltv.com...eboyfriend.jpg

mikey23545 04-30-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9646050)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9646106)
Link a ****ing direct quote from Geno or shut the **** up. Everything is assumption as to why he's firing them.

Quote:

Link a ****ing direct quote from the GM of all 32 NFL teams or shut the **** up.

Mr. Laz 04-30-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 9646267)
Link a ****ing direct quote from the GM of all 32 NFL teams or shut the **** up.

BOOM!!!

LMAO

http://www.veteranstoday.com/wp-cont...-explosion.jpg

Otter 04-30-2013 01:20 PM

Racist agent!!!

Poor Geno!!!

Rain Man 04-30-2013 01:23 PM

I'm really curious if he's Dan Marino competitive or Elvis Grbac whiny.

Planetman 04-30-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9646276)
I'm really curious if he's Dan Marino competitive or Elvis Grbac whiny.

Currently, Vegas has good odds on Grbac whiney.

Archie F. Swin 04-30-2013 01:32 PM

Rex is too fat

/Omaha

The Franchise 04-30-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 9646267)

I said aided in his drop, dipshit. I didn't say that it was the main reason. Oh...and feel free to go **** yourself.

Planetman 04-30-2013 05:51 PM

Great. My "teh ghey" thread and this thread have both been hijacked by fights.

Sorry, Geno. Apparently you're no longer worth any sort of normal discussion. Have fun in that circus that is the QB Clown Car of the NFL.

MahiMike 04-30-2013 06:06 PM

This type of pussy action is exactly what I saw when I put his games on. Pouty finger pointer. The fact that he thought the Chiefs were gonna take him 1st overall tells me he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Simply Red 04-30-2013 06:08 PM

Would somebody mind linking my balls?

lcarus 04-30-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 9646231)
He's going to love it when they ask him to run the ball.

And the Jets are gonna love it when they realize "Oh shit...you can't run like Michael Vick? Well ****!"

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 04-30-2013 06:10 PM

You'll continue to see threads like this because some of yall are so easy to troll. I guess that's what happens when you are so emotionally invested in a player who was never even a Chief.

Simply Red 04-30-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy Was A Gigantic Dick (Post 9646799)
You'll continue to see threads like this because some of yall are so easy to troll. I guess that's what happens when you are so emotionally invested in a player who was never even a Chief.

He's going to go bareback black on the NFL soon, he's the Prodigal Son.

houstonwhodat 04-30-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

His agent didn't want to show how bad he really was.

Even Gruden didn't like him as a pick.

houstonwhodat 04-30-2013 08:08 PM

Just cuz he was a qb and available to be picked in the first round doesn't mean it was going to happen.

Ain't his agents fault.

Geno ain't exactly Andrew Luck or RG3 or even Russell Wilson.

This qb class sucked ass.

Even Barkley went late.

Bwana 04-30-2013 08:26 PM

10 cent head.

The clown is going melt down like a stick of butter on a hot stove, wait and see.

http://fierceblackqueen.files.wordpr...aby_crying.jpg

Brendan08901 04-30-2013 08:34 PM

I don't get why everyone is giving Geno shit. Your agent will tell you what teams are interested in you and where you should be expected to be drafted. The fact that Geno thought he was going top 5 and he wasn't drafted until the second round means there was a lot of miscomunication. If I was him and I knew I got screwed, I wouldn't trust him to handle my contracts.

mlyonsd 04-30-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan08901 (Post 9647437)
I don't get why everyone is giving Geno shit. Your agent will tell you what teams are interested in you and where you should be expected to be drafted. The fact that Geno thought he was going top 5 and he wasn't drafted until the second round means there was a lot of miscomunication. If I was him and I knew I got screwed, I wouldn't trust him to handle my contracts.

Maybe Geno's agent was sending him links to CP. That alone would have messed up expectations.

threebag 04-30-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9646101)

Like the Jets did at 39

ShowtimeSBMVP 04-30-2013 09:17 PM

Geno Smith’s former agents wish him the best
Posted by Mike Florio on April 30, 2013, 11:04 PM EDT
Jets Smith Football AP

Agents Jeff Nalley and Erik Burkhardt of Select Sports Group have broken their silence in response to quarterback Geno Smith’s decision to fire them, only days after Smith became the 39th pick in the draft.

“We worked tirelessly for Geno Smith and all of our draft prospects,” the firm said in a statement released to PFT. “The NFL Draft is unpredictable, and we prepared Geno and all of our draft prospects, as we do every year, about what can happen during the draft. Not only did we tell him that what transpired on the first day of the draft was possible, the question of whether Geno would be a first- or second-round pick was arguably the most talked about subject in the three months leading up to the draft. We wish Geno the best.”

The statement comes in response to a report from Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News that Smith believed he “would be and should be” not a first-round pick but the No. 1 overall selection. In an appearance on SiriusXM NFL Radio, Smith opted not to delve into the details.

“I don’t want to shed too much light on it,” Smith said, via a partial transcript provided by SiriusXM NFL Radio. “The thing that I can tell you is that it’s not because of the whole draft experience. It’s not because of one particular incident. There’s a number of things. And that story, you know, that battle will be fought on a different day. As of right now I don’t feel too comfortable talking about all the details of it.”

Regardless, the timeline gives rise to a reasonable inference that the decision relates to Smith’s “whole draft experience.” And it comes off as a blame-shifting reaction from Smith for not being drafted higher.

Based on the statement from Select Sports Group, if Smith thought he’d go higher, it wasn’t based on anything his agents were telling him.

ShowtimeSBMVP 04-30-2013 09:18 PM

Jason Whitlock ‏@WhitlockJason 6m

Jeezuz, Geno. Nawrocki might be right RT @ProFootballTalk: Geno Smith's former agents issue statement http://po.st/pBvHxc

Chiefshrink 04-30-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 9646171)
And that is a bitch move by Geno, his rep had less to do with this than the talking heads.

Hopefully in due time he will realize and be thankful to his former agent for getting his ass back there the 2nd day to at least look the part even though he didn't want to be there. But it will be awhile b4 that happens:rolleyes:

Get your :popcorn: ready because Geno's thin skin coupled with the shark invested NY sports(you should have won yesterday) media along with a shitty offense not to mention shitty situation in general will make for a likely weekly drama QB queen entertainment for sure. Just this little move in firing his agent say's volumes about his ego and not owning up to anything he did wrong. I wonder if he is our President's love child ?:p

Sweet Daddy Hate 04-30-2013 10:00 PM

Oh noes! It's teh Kool Aid but morz impotant!/dumbass True Fan
Posted via Mobile Device

The Rick 04-30-2013 11:13 PM

I'm not sure even Jerry Ma- "****ing" -guire could be Geno's Ambassador of Quan.

Simply Red 04-30-2013 11:26 PM

amazon is running a special - if you buy two Dexter McCluster tee shirts - you get a free Geno Smith tee.

notorious 05-01-2013 07:09 AM

He has a "Blame everyone else" attitude.

Rausch 05-01-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9648127)
He has a "Blame everyone else" attitude.

So does Bray.

Heh.

We got our emotionally-reeruned-yet-talneted-QB for jack squat.

And the Jets have up

http://data.whicdn.com/images/176543...MD_c_large.jpg

Fat Elvis 05-01-2013 08:14 AM

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...t-football.jpg

http://sinfl.files.wordpress.com/201...pg?w=618&h=381

Gifted at art. Not so good with math.

ShowtimeSBMVP 05-01-2013 01:59 PM

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva 10s

Geno Smith spent "much of his time on his cellphone" at pre-draft visits. "That's not what you want out of your QB": http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--ge...183846651.html

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva 3m

NFL executive on Geno Smith: "You can't tell him anything. He's tuned out because he thinks he's got it all down": http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8326/geno-smith

DJ's left nut 05-01-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

I got blistered by a lot of folks for pointing out how absurdly stupid that was.

Fisher got drafted #1 overall because of the Senior Bowl. Geno fell to the second for the same reason. And the fact that Manuel went to the SR bowl and actually performed fairly well surely has something to do with leapfrogging Smith.

His agent was just flat wrong and deserved to be fired.

The Franchise 05-01-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9649228)
I got blistered by a lot of folks for pointing out how absurdly stupid that was.

Fisher got drafted #1 overall because of the Senior Bowl. Geno fell to the second for the same reason. And the fact that Manuel went to the SR bowl and actually performed fairly well surely has something to do with leapfrogging Smith.

His agent was just flat wrong and deserved to be fired.

That can't be. It has to be because Geno Smith is an egotistical asshole who knew that he was going 1st overall from the day he was born.

ShowtimeSBMVP 05-01-2013 02:13 PM

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 43s

Per @JasonColeYahoo, Geno Smith was on Twitter while visiting teams. Hope he's not on now. Won't find anything good http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--ge...183846651.html

Rain Man 05-01-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendan08901 (Post 9647437)

The funny thing is that I don't think anyone knew where he was going to get drafted. I was hearing that he might go to Cleveland at 6 as the draft was starting, and also seeing reports of Oakland, Jacksonville, Arizona, and Jets in Round 1. I was hearing far less rumblings that he would slide out of the first round, though there were a few. I don't think any prediction had much certainty, so I wouldn't blame his agents for the slide.

Fat Elvis 05-01-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9649252)

Per @JasonColeYahoo, Geno Smith was on Twitter while visiting teams. Hope he's not on now. Won't find anything good http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--ge...183846651.html

If this is true, I am so glad the Chiefs passed on him. Seems like a walking, talking self entitled cancer.

http://images.ftw.usatoday.com/wp-co...0.34.57-PM.png

...I think they mispronounced my name.... /text

Sorter 05-01-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Ouch.

Rain Man 05-01-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Now, if his agents were with him on pre-draft visits I would probably blame them for not telling Geno to turn off his cell phone while he's in a job interview.

Sassy Squatch 05-01-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9649221)
Evan Silva ‏@evansilva 10s

Geno Smith spent "much of his time on his cellphone" at pre-draft visits. "That's not what you want out of your QB": http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--ge...183846651.html

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva 3m

NFL executive on Geno Smith: "You can't tell him anything. He's tuned out because he thinks he's got it all down": http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8326/geno-smith

Not good.

Sorter 05-01-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9649267)
Now, if his agents were with him on pre-draft visits I would probably blame them for not telling Geno to turn off his cell phone while he's in a job interview.

LMAO

ILChief 05-01-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9649267)

If he has to be told this he is dumber than the honey badger

King_Chief_Fan 05-01-2013 02:25 PM

what a clown

Shox 05-01-2013 02:27 PM

Consistent with comments from some NFL execs:

"I'm not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn't listen or talk to our coaches," said the exec. "... You can't tell him anything right now. He's tuned out because he thinks he's got it all down." Another NFL exec questioned Smith's leadership ability. "He doesn't have much presence, not much of a leader. I don't think he's a bad person, but that's not enough to be a quarterback in this league." Per Yahoo's Jason Cole, Smith spent "much of his time on his cell phone" during pre-draft team visits. "All these other players who were in there were talking to the coaches, trying to get to know people and he was over there by himself," one source said. "That's not what you want out of your quarterback."

I really wanted the Chiefs to get him, but passing on him was absolutely the right call regardless if he becomes a HOF.