ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Damn Bermuda Grass (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274069)

rageeumr 06-24-2013 11:59 AM

Damn Bermuda Grass

Warning: Overly long story about grass.

A couple of years ago I noticed that I had a good amount of Bermuda grass in a 10' x 15' or so area of my back yard. I'm not sure where it came from, it seemed to just sort of pop up, and I haven't noticed it in any of my neighbors yards.

So in the fall of 2011 I sprayed Roundup on the whole area, let it sit for a couple weeks and then reseeded with fescue. The lawn looked great until early summer when the Bermuda popped back up.

Last fall I was determined to get rid of it once and for all. I sprayed Roundup again. Waited about a week, raked a bit and then sprayed another healthy dose of Roundup. Then I tilled the entire area under, brought in a bit of extra topsoil, reseeded and laid a straw mat.

The seed went down a little later than I would have liked, so it looked a little rough over the winter. But with the wet spring, the grass really took off. By mid-May, it looked as good as the rest of my yard.

I went out yesterday to fire up the grill and about pissed myself. Bermuda grass all over the place again. There wasn't a trace of it a week ago.

I'm pretty much at a loss. I never would have imagined it could come back after I tilled everything under. I suppose I could have stripped the surface before I tilled, but I probably would have had to bring in a bunch more soil.

Any suggestions from the CP grounds crew?

tooge 06-24-2013 12:02 PM

mix it with some northern California sensamilia and resead the entire yard

rageeumr 06-24-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9772514)
mix it with some northern California sensamilia and resead the entire yard

Your uncle molests collies.

Donger 06-24-2013 12:05 PM

Are you positive that it is bermuda?

alpha_omega 06-24-2013 12:07 PM

Are you sure it's BermudaGrass?

rockchalkgirl 06-24-2013 12:07 PM

I've had some success with Bayer Advanced Bermuda Grass Control for Lawns.

I'm in Hutchinson, BTW. Fescue lawn.

Phobia 06-24-2013 12:07 PM

tl;dr

BigMeatballDave 06-24-2013 12:10 PM

Just paint a large red Arrowhead on it.

mikeyis4dcats. 06-24-2013 12:11 PM

you need to know what the rest of your lawn is to find a product that will kill the Bermuda but not the rest. Tilling only makes it worse.

rageeumr 06-24-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9772522)
Are you positive that it is bermuda?

Good question. Actually, no. It just looks like Bermuda to my untrained eye and has the "runners" along the ground that I typically associate with Bermuda. Although it could definitely just be a close relative.

OnTheWarpath15 06-24-2013 12:13 PM

It's a bitch to get rid of, that's for sure. Unfortunately, your tilling likely is the culprit - when you till, you're cutting the roots into smaller pieces, but not eliminating them. Which is why it came back.

You're going to need something stronger than Roundup - a selective herbicide that won't damage the other type of grass in your lawn - maybe something like Atrazine or Ornamec.

rageeumr 06-24-2013 12:13 PM

Rest of the lawn is fescue.

mikeyis4dcats. 06-24-2013 12:14 PM

Ornamec is supposed to be good, but you have to know what the rest of your lawn is.

NewChief 06-24-2013 12:14 PM

Just give in and have a bermuda lawn? It's drought resistant as hell.

My main gripe with our bermuda back yard is its tendency to run into our beds.

mikeyis4dcats. 06-24-2013 12:14 PM

http://www.walterreeves.com/lawn-car...oving-bermuda/

tooge 06-24-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9772536)
Just give in and have a bermuda lawn? It's drought resistant as hell.

My main gripe with our bermuda back yard is its tendency to run into our beds.

this. Bermuda grass is badass. It can't be killed easily, it grows low to the ground so mowing can be done much less often, and it is so thick, it chokes out weeds. Cut it up and bring it to my house. I'll take it.

BlackHelicopters 06-24-2013 12:25 PM

Is this the casual sex thread?

Frosty 06-24-2013 12:26 PM

Is quackgrass the same thing as bermudagrass? Some of the "alternate" names are the same (couch, quitch, devils, wheat, scutch, twitch, witch, dog or durfa grass) but the descriptions sound different.

Mr_Tomahawk 06-24-2013 12:28 PM

I have the same problem.

Did the same thing...sprayed roundup on it last fall and it is coming back. Not as thick...but it isn't gone that's for sure. I am spraying it again. It is frustrating as I have some nice turf around it that is getting killed from the roundup as well.

And no...don't let bermuda take over your lawn. It will create an issue for not only you, but your neighbors. Don't be that guy. And you might as well not have any planting beds as the bermuda will take over that.

Bermuda is not badass.

alpha_omega 06-24-2013 12:29 PM

Is it maybe nutsedge grass?

Dayze 06-24-2013 12:30 PM

field turf.

if I can ever afford it, I'm doing that shit in the front yard.

Mr_Tomahawk 06-24-2013 12:31 PM

NutSedge is distincly different than Berumda.

rageeumr 06-24-2013 12:33 PM

Looks like I'll give Ornamec a shot. I just find it hard to believe that a "selective kill" chemical is going to do better than glyphosate, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Mr_Tomahawk 06-24-2013 12:33 PM

You have to keep spraying with roundup. It will take a few seasons.

Dont use Orthos bermuda killer...it's a waste. Don't till...you will just spread it.

rageeumr 06-24-2013 12:34 PM

I'm painfully aware of what nutsedge is. But after a bad couple of years, I think I finally have that particular devil under control.

BigMeatballDave 06-24-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9772573)
field turf.

if I can ever afford it, I'm doing that shit in the front yard.

That would own.

No mowing. Just vacuum.

rageeumr 06-24-2013 12:34 PM

The good thing is that since it's a relatively small area, it's not an enormous hassle to kill and reseed every year until I figure it out.

Mr_Tomahawk 06-24-2013 12:34 PM

I wish nutsedge was the issue and not Bermuda.

ptlyon 06-24-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelusiveeightrop (Post 9772559)
Is this the casual sex thread?

Rageemur is trying to figure out how to terminate his relationship with his Bermuda grass

Mr_Tomahawk 06-24-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 9772588)
The good thing is that since it's a relatively small area, it's not an enormous hassle to kill and reseed every year until I figure it out.

Yeah, I reseeded the area I killed off last year. And since Bermuda is a warm season grass, I had false hope this spring when all my seed started to come through without the Bermuda.

I knew better...this past month the Bermuda has slowly been coming back in those areas. ****er.

ptlyon 06-24-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFanDave (Post 9772587)
That would own.

No mowing. Just vacuum.

Ya till the neighborhood kids start using your front yard for football games

rageeumr 06-24-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9772593)
Rageemur is trying to figure out how to terminate his relationship with his Bermuda grass

The Bermuda grass is really starting to bore me.

mlyonsd 06-24-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 9772582)
Looks like I'll give Ornamec a shot. I just find it hard to believe that a "selective kill" chemical is going to do better than glyphosate, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Me either. Almost sounds like some dormant seeds germinated in the spring after the Roundup kill. Maybe get the next batch of fescue growing good and then hit it with pre-emergents in the fall and spring. Bermuda germinates when the soil temp his 70 so I'd make sure to time the pre-emergent well next year.

Dayze 06-24-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9772602)
Ya till the neighborhood kids start using your front yard for football games

GET OFF MY FIELD TURF!! / Milkman

blaise 06-24-2013 01:05 PM

We have Bermuda grass around here and the rabbits killed half of it in my front yard this year.

BlackHelicopters 06-24-2013 01:12 PM

Casual sex and Bermuda grass no longer fulfill me.

bobbymitch 06-24-2013 01:14 PM

May want to get a little help here - http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7453.html

One other item - be sure to clean the underside of your lawnmower deck after each mowing. You could be "reseeding" the stuff without knowing.

ping2000 06-24-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbymitch (Post 9772714)
May want to get a little help here - http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7453.html

One other item - be sure to clean the underside of your lawnmower deck after each mowing. You could be "reseeding" the stuff without knowing.

Turflon Ester. If the lawn is Fescue also spray with Ornamec. The Turflon Ester is OK on Bluegrass or Fescue. Bermuda runners are long. If your neighbor has it, you will get it. Best bet is to get your neighbors to fight it too. Roundup and re-seeding is your best bet, but it will take several applications. Start now with Roundup. Fertilize and water the area. When it comes back (it will) hit it again. Good luck. I live next to a golf course. It is a yearly battle.

WhiteWhale 06-24-2013 04:48 PM

I hate it sooooo much.

rageeumr 06-24-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ping2000 (Post 9773086)
If your neighbor has it, you will get it.

Luckily it appears to just be me. I'm trying to keep it that way.

LiveSteam 06-24-2013 05:25 PM

Make sure that Bermuda isn't holding 5 U.S. Navy Avengers

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-24-2013 07:54 PM

Buy some beach sand, a spreader, and a used walking greens mower. Top dress regularly, then mow the shit down tight and have your own putting green.

O.city 06-24-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9773411)
Buy some beach sand, a spreader, and a used walking greens mower. Top dress regularly, then mow the shit down tight and have your own putting green.

Putting on Bermuda grass, no fun.

mlyonsd 06-24-2013 08:29 PM

Once you've killed it off again and got your new fescue growing you need to put down a pre-emergent a few times, especially in the spring before the bermuda germinates.

RedandGold 06-24-2013 08:32 PM

The guy across the street from me actually put in Bermuda sod. We couldn't believe it, and it looks like shit too.

I hate the stuff. We've been able to control it for the most part, but if there's a thin spot in the fescue, it pops up.

O.city 06-24-2013 08:33 PM

I'm a southern guy, so I guess thats where it comes from, but I'd take Bermuda over fescue every day.

Oxford 06-24-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 9772505)
Warning: Overly long story about grass.

A couple of years ago I noticed that I had a good amount of Bermuda grass in a 10' x 15' or so area of my back yard. I'm not sure where it came from, it seemed to just sort of pop up, and I haven't noticed it in any of my neighbors yards.

So in the fall of 2011 I sprayed Roundup on the whole area, let it sit for a couple weeks and then reseeded with fescue. The lawn looked great until early summer when the Bermuda popped back up.

Last fall I was determined to get rid of it once and for all. I sprayed Roundup again. Waited about a week, raked a bit and then sprayed another healthy dose of Roundup. Then I tilled the entire area under, brought in a bit of extra topsoil, reseeded and laid a straw mat.

The seed went down a little later than I would have liked, so it looked a little rough over the winter. But with the wet spring, the grass really took off. By mid-May, it looked as good as the rest of my yard.

I went out yesterday to fire up the grill and about pissed myself. Bermuda grass all over the place again. There wasn't a trace of it a week ago.

I'm pretty much at a loss. I never would have imagined it could come back after I tilled everything under. I suppose I could have stripped the surface before I tilled, but I probably would have had to bring in a bunch more soil.

Any suggestions from the CP grounds crew?

Make sure you use roundup when it is growing... Its a warm season grass, and Roundup only kills what it touches. So you want it to be pulled into the roots. Another thought is to talk to a lawn service, see if they have a "guaranteed control". If it comes back it's their problem. Pre-emerge chemicals only inhibit germination of seed. If you don't get the roots it will be back

Bob Dole 06-24-2013 11:07 PM

Aint' anything wrong with Bermuda if you make sure not to cut more than 25% of its height. If you let it get too tall then cut it, it looks like ass.

KC-TBB 06-25-2013 05:00 AM

I like my Bermuca grass...of course I live here in the South where thats about all there is...

Hog's Gone Fishin 06-25-2013 07:22 PM

HeHe. I introduced bermuda into my lawn two years ago and now its spreading into the neighbors lawn. They have a fescue lawn that is so beautiful and mow it twice a week. And they're in their 80's. I bet they cuss me every day and say horrible things about me.

Pepe Silvia 06-25-2013 07:24 PM

Cut little triangles or something.

NewChief 06-25-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 9775327)
HeHe. I introduced bermuda into my lawn two years ago and now its spreading into the neighbors lawn. They have a fescue lawn that is so beautiful and mow it twice a week. And they're in their 80's. I bet they cuss me every day and say horrible things about me.

The jackasses who owned our house before us planted bamboo. I constantly apologize to my neighbors. Offered to split cost of ditch witch and erecting a barrier between our houses, but they never replied. Oh well. Now they're infested.

Ace Gunner 06-25-2013 08:26 PM

i'm sorry but you are in the burmuda grass triangle

Demonpenz 06-25-2013 09:48 PM

sorry for your loss.

Buehler445 06-26-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 9772532)
It's a bitch to get rid of, that's for sure. Unfortunately, your tilling likely is the culprit - when you till, you're cutting the roots into smaller pieces, but not eliminating them. Which is why it came back.

You're going to need something stronger than Roundup - a selective herbicide that won't damage the other type of grass in your lawn - maybe something like Atrazine or Ornamec.

Atrazine will be pretty hard on your grass and really limits reseed. And as far as I k know you can't spray it in town. I think it is a restricted use pesticide.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 9772582)

Glyphosate has no residual. It kills the **** out of Bermuda but it doesn't keep any more from coming.