ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Science Astronomers Find First Evidence Of Other Universes (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281421)

Dave Lane 02-11-2014 08:46 PM

Astronomers Find First Evidence Of Other Universes

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog...0inflation.png

Our cosmos was “bruised” in collisions with other universes. Now astronomers have found the first evidence of these impacts in the cosmic microwave background

There’s something exciting afoot in the world of cosmology. Last month, Roger Penrose at the University of Oxford and Vahe Gurzadyan at Yerevan State University in Armenia announced that they had found patterns of concentric circles in the cosmic microwave background, the echo of the Big Bang.

This, they say, is exactly what you’d expect if the universe were eternally cyclical. By that, they mean that each cycle ends with a big bang that starts the next cycle. In this model, the universe is a kind of cosmic Russian Doll, with all previous universes contained within the current one.

That’s an extraordinary discovery: evidence of something that occurred before the (conventional) Big Bang.

Today, another group says they’ve found something else in the echo of the Big Bang. These guys start with a different model of the universe called eternal inflation. In this way of thinking, the universe we see is merely a bubble in a much larger cosmos. This cosmos is filled with other bubbles, all of which are other universes where the laws of physics may be dramatically different to ours.

These bubbles probably had a violent past, jostling together and leaving “cosmic bruises” where they touched. If so, these bruises ought to be visible today in the cosmic microwave background.

Now Stephen Feeney at University College London and a few pals say they’ve found tentative evidence of this bruising in the form of circular patterns in cosmic microwave background. In fact, they’ve found four bruises, implying that our universe must have smashed into other bubbles at least four times in the past.

Again, this is an extraordinary result: the first evidence of universes beyond our own.

So, what to make of these discoveries. First, these effects could easily be a trick of the eye. As Feeney and co acknowledge: “it is rather easy to fifind all sorts of statistically unlikely properties in a large dataset like the CMB.” That’s for sure!

There are precautions statisticians can take to guard against this, which both Feeney and Penrose bring to bear in various ways.

But these are unlikely to settle the argument. In the last few weeks, several groups have confirmed Penrose’s finding while others have found no evidence for it. Expect a similar pattern for Feeney’s result.

The only way to settle this will be to confirm or refute the findings with better data. As luck would have it, new data is forthcoming thanks to the Planck spacecraft that is currently peering into the cosmic microwave background with more resolution and greater sensitivity than ever.

Cosmologists should have a decent data set to play with in a couple of years or so. When they get it, these circles should either spring into clear view or disappear into noise (rather like the mysterious Mars face that appeared in pictures of the red planet taken by Viking 1 and then disappeared in the higher resolution shots from the Mars Global Surveyor).

Planck should settle the matter; or, with any luck, introduce an even better mystery. In the meantime, there’s going to be some fascinating discussion about this data and what it implies about the nature of the Universe. We’ll be watching.

Ref:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1012.1995: First Observational Tests of Eternal Inflation

http://arxiv.org/abs/1011.3706: Concentric Circles In WMAP Data May Provide Evidence Of Violent Pre-Big-Bang Activity

Buck 02-11-2014 08:51 PM

If this is true, the word universe is going to need a new definition.

u·ni·verse
ˈyo͞onəˌvərs
noun
all existing matter and space considered as a whole; the cosmos. The universe is believed to be at least 10 billion light years in diameter and contains a vast number of galaxies; it has been expanding since its creation in the Big Bang about 13 billion years ago.

petegz28 02-11-2014 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 10428440)
If this is true, the word universe is going to need a new definition.

u·ni·verse
ˈyo͞onəˌvərs
noun
all existing matter and space considered as a whole; the cosmos. The universe is believed to be at least 10 billion light years in diameter and contains a vast number of galaxies; it has been expanding since its creation in the Big Bang about 13 billion years ago.

Not necessarily. The concept of a "multi-verse" is not anything new. So not so much a re-definition so much as a clarification.

-King- 02-11-2014 08:56 PM

I can't even begin to comprehend other universes.
Posted via Mobile Device

HonestChieffan 02-11-2014 08:57 PM

Did you get a picture dave?

J Diddy 02-11-2014 08:59 PM

How much to send HCF to another universe? I got $5 on it as long as there is no internet access.

Cephalic Trauma 02-11-2014 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Bull (Post 10428455)
How much to send HCF to another universe? I got $5 on it as long as there is no internet access.

+5

notorious 02-11-2014 09:02 PM

The Chiefs are still celebrating their 4 SB win in a row in another Universe.

BigRedChief 02-11-2014 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 10428440)
it has been expanding since its creation in the Big Bang about 13 billion years ago.

not to quibble but we just discovered a 13.6 billion year old universe.:p

ThatRaceCardGuy 02-11-2014 09:03 PM

I'm still having trouble comprehending how you blow a 28 point lead in the second half...now this ? II'm done.

notorious 02-11-2014 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thatguy (Post 10428462)
I'm still having trouble comprehending how you blow a 28 point lead in the second half...now this ? II'm done.

In another Universe, the Chiefs kept rolling in the 2nd half.

We got the shit Universe. I hope my double in the good Universe dies in an AIDS fire.

listopencil 02-11-2014 09:06 PM

Cool. Looking forward to the next data set.

J Diddy 02-11-2014 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10428457)

In that case, how much to send me to another universe? HCF can ****ing have this one.

Bowser 02-11-2014 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thatguy (Post 10428462)

No shit...

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/1260882176/hFD5D15E3/

GordonGekko 02-11-2014 09:08 PM

Hopefully in that other universe the Chiefs have been to the Superbowl a couple more times

J Diddy 02-11-2014 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 10428458)
not to quibble but we just discovered a 13.6 billion year old universe.:p

Here in America ****ers can't vote without identification but yet we listen to some shit cooking in the microwave and we immediately ascertain it's age and what it is.

I call bullshit. The only thing I hear in my microwave is awfully similar to Joe's Apartment.

Dave Lane 02-11-2014 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 10428452)
Did you get a picture dave?

Actually I just got this one...

Fire Me Boy! 02-11-2014 09:13 PM

I'll bet $100 cash money that in one of those other universes that 3rd and 48ers does the laundry.

BigRedChief 02-11-2014 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Bull (Post 10428471)
In that case, how much to send me to another universe? HCF can ****ing have this one.

Most scientists think<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--> parrell universes are more likely than time travel. So you may get your wish.

Dave Lane 02-11-2014 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10428457)

Lead by a white chocolate penii

TimeForWasp 02-11-2014 09:14 PM

This isn't in Science is cool thread so it sucks.

notorious 02-11-2014 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 10428496)
Most scientists think<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--> parrell universes are more likely than time travel. So you may get your wish.

If anyone wants to completely melt their brain, dive into Parallel Universes.

They are Infinite.

Dave Lane 02-11-2014 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsNow (Post 10428502)
This isn't in Science is cool thread so it sucks.

This is too cool to just live there...

Bowser 02-11-2014 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10428495)
I'll bet $100 cash money that in one of those other universes that 3rd and 48ers does the laundry.

Shit, I'd bet cash money he does it in THIS universe, but also admits to it in the other one.

Fire Me Boy! 02-11-2014 09:17 PM

There's a parallel universe out there where everything is exactly the same except Hawk and Omaha switched places for the women they find attractive.

J Diddy 02-11-2014 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 10428495)

I'd be willing to bet that he does it in this one and if he doesn't his wife beats him like a red headed step child.

Dave Lane 02-11-2014 09:18 PM

Quote:

+500

Dave Lane 02-11-2014 09:19 PM

Hawk: Too Fat!

notorious 02-11-2014 09:20 PM

There is a Universe in which Como is right.....

....about EVERYTHING.

Dave Lane 02-11-2014 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10428524)
There is a Universe in which Como is right.....

....about EVERYTHING.

Bizzaro world !!!!

BigRedChief 02-11-2014 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Bull (Post 10428477)
Here in America ****ers can't vote without identification but yet we listen to some shit cooking in the microwave and we immediately ascertain it's age and what it is.

I call bullshit. The only thing I hear in my microwave is awfully similar to Joe's Apartment.

30 years ago our best scientists thought black holes were a myth.

Some current scientists theorize that our entire universe may be a black hole or its a Star Trek like gateway to another universe.

Now, Stephen Hawking (maybe the smartest man on the planet) came out recently with a paper that said the event horizon may not be so clear. That its an apparent horizon. Which means in theory a black hole can show up anywhere.

Bottom line in 10 years, what we know will be totally different.

Dave Lane 02-11-2014 09:32 PM

Thats the beauty of Science. Always learning more and more about our surroundings. Its a damned good time to be alive my friends.

Dayze 02-11-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 10428486)

so bad ass.:thumb:

BigRedChief 02-11-2014 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 10428542)
Thats the beauty of Science. Always learning more and more about our surroundings. Its a damned good time to be alive my friends.

Yeah thats why I'm excited for my son. Hell, I've rediscovered my long ago lost love for astrophysics. The next 50 years is going to be an amazing time to work in the field.

sd4chiefs 02-11-2014 10:04 PM

100 years ago everyone thought our galaxy was our Universe until Edwin Hubble discovered that the Andromeda nebula was another galaxy. Now Scientist say that there may be over 300,000 galaxies in our Universe and each one may have over 300,000 stars. The largest Galaxy found so far has 60 million stars. What if there are over 300,000 Universes or more beyond ours. If God is infinite maybe the multiverse is also. Just saying. :hmmm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...osmic-map.html

patteeu 02-11-2014 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 10428486)

That doesn't really look like a cosmic bruise to me.

Psyko Tek 02-11-2014 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 10428441)
Not necessarily. The concept of a "multi-verse" is not anything new. So not so much a re-definition so much as a clarification.

according to Stan Lee we are universe 616

in DC we are earth one, but there is an earth prime
so it gets confusing
and then there is the bleed...

cosmo20002 02-11-2014 10:39 PM

So fascinating...but makes you a little dizzy trying to make sense of it.

J Diddy 02-11-2014 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 10428550)
Yeah thats why I'm excited for my son. Hell, I've rediscovered my long ago lost love for astrophysics. The next 50 years is going to be an amazing time to work in the field.

Wait

You're an astrophysicist?

Why haven't you helped me with my ****ing astronomy?

-King- 02-11-2014 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10428684)

This is what I' saying. I just have no way of contexualizing any of this.

Cannibal 02-11-2014 10:44 PM

Keep posting this stuff Dave. I've become increasingly interested in it the last couple of years.

Saccopoo 02-11-2014 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10428450)
I can't even begin to comprehend other universes.
Posted via Mobile Device

The bigger question is what's beyond those?

cosmo20002 02-11-2014 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Bull (Post 10428685)

That's a really interesting stuff.

Aquarius
Today February 11, 2014
Daily Overview
It's not easy to get started today -- your energy just seems drained from the moment you get up. That can be an asset, though, as you may find it easier to sort through your various plans.

notorious 02-11-2014 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10428684)

I know.

28 points........

aturnis 02-11-2014 10:51 PM

Quote:

I'll add 5 and empty the couch cushions.

Dayze 02-11-2014 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannibal (Post 10428695)
Keep posting this stuff Dave. I've become increasingly interested in it the last couple of years.

Dave's a good dood and knows his shit.

maybe he'll post a pict of his mother ****ing homemade observatory in his house.
:thumb:

TimeForWasp 02-11-2014 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 10428511)
This is too cool to just live there...

This should have it's own thread, I hate all mega threads actually, but am partial to the Science is cool thread.

Lex Luthor 02-11-2014 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10428707)
That's a really interesting stuff.

Aquarius
Today February 11, 2014
Daily Overview
It's not easy to get started today -- your energy just seems drained from the moment you get up. That can be an asset, though, as you may find it easier to sort through your various plans.

220, 221, whatever it takes.

Fat Elvis 02-11-2014 11:24 PM

For a start, how is the existence of the other universes to be tested? To be sure, all cosmologists accept that there are some regions of the universe that lie beyond the reach of our telescopes, but somewhere on the slippery slope between that and the idea that there are an infinite number of universes, credibility reaches a limit. As one slips down that slope, more and more must be accepted on faith, and less and less is open to scientific verification. Extreme multiverse explanations are therefore reminiscent of theological discussions. Indeed, invoking an infinity of unseen universes to explain the unusual features of the one we do see is just as ad hoc as invoking an unseen Creator. The multiverse theory may be dressed up in scientific language, but in essence it requires the same leap of faith.

— Paul Davies, A Brief History of the Multiverse

Fish 02-11-2014 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 10428759)
For a start, how is the existence of the other universes to be tested? To be sure, all cosmologists accept that there are some regions of the universe that lie beyond the reach of our telescopes, but somewhere on the slippery slope between that and the idea that there are an infinite number of universes, credibility reaches a limit. As one slips down that slope, more and more must be accepted on faith, and less and less is open to scientific verification. Extreme multiverse explanations are therefore reminiscent of theological discussions. Indeed, invoking an infinity of unseen universes to explain the unusual features of the one we do see is just as ad hoc as invoking an unseen Creator. The multiverse theory may be dressed up in scientific language, but in essence it requires the same leap of faith.

Good point. :thumb:

J Diddy 02-11-2014 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 10428759)

and this is called The Twilight Zone

Pants 02-11-2014 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10428505)
If anyone wants to completely melt their brain, dive into Parallel Universes.

They are Infinite.

Which means the Chiefs are actually winning the Superbowl every year in an infinite amount of universes.

NOOICE!

ThatRaceCardGuy 02-12-2014 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10428466)

We got the shit Universe. I hope my double in the good Universe dies in an AIDS fire.

LMAO

-King- 02-12-2014 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10428466)

In that universe, AIDs fires are one of the more honorable ways one can die.

Jimmya 02-12-2014 06:06 AM

Lol....yes! Aids fires

BlackHelicopters 02-12-2014 08:10 AM

The Cheufs have won all 48 Super Bowls in a universe somewhere.

tooge 02-12-2014 08:35 AM

I wonder if the chiefs have won a playoff game in the past 19 years in any of the other universes

Dayze 02-12-2014 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 10429008)
I wonder if the chiefs have won a playoff game in the past 19 years in any of the other universes

we're the laughing stock of the universe.

BlackHelicopters 02-12-2014 08:45 AM

Fascinating

TLO 02-12-2014 10:17 AM

Still can't wrap my mind around this.

mr. tegu 02-12-2014 04:41 PM

So if our bubble is just one of many, does that mean we are being watched like the Truman Show? We are famous!

Also, does this imply that we can get "out" of this bubble and move to another one? Is our bubble touching another bubble somewhere? Is there a definitive divider/border between bubbles? Some kind of membrane that has to be pierced? Do wormholes go just to other galaxies or other bubbles? If the bubbles don't touch what is in the gap between bubbles? Are these bubbles the parallel universes or simply part of this one?

BigRedChief 02-12-2014 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Bull (Post 10428685)
Wait

You're an astrophysicist?

Just a hobbyist. A pedestrian one at that. I can understand something someone wrote but can't create it from scratch. Kind of like I can read a book but not write one.

My son is getting there though. You want to see what he charges?:p

Bowser 02-12-2014 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 10428701)
The bigger question is what's beyond those?

http://giantgag.com/wp-content/uploa...use-trippy.gif

Kiimo 02-12-2014 05:57 PM

I was just getting around to understanding how big ours was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaOPsmlJyw8

notorious 02-12-2014 06:25 PM

This gif just keeps going and going.

Prepare yourselves:

http://a.gifb.in/1232024489_The_size_of_planets.gif

ThaVirus 02-12-2014 06:37 PM

Pretty incredible and tough to even comprehend.

How far away is the "edge" though? 13+ billion light years? I'm not sure we'll ever see it..

TLO 02-12-2014 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10430299)

How far away is the "edge" though? 13+ billion light years? I'm not sure we'll ever see it..

That's my thought too.

Someday, maybe. But not in our life times.

TLO 02-12-2014 06:44 PM

I used to be super into the planets, solar system, universe, etc when I was younger. May have to break outmy old telsescope and nerd out.

hometeam 02-12-2014 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 10430315)
I used to be super into the planets, solar system, universe, etc when I was younger. May have to break outmy old telsescope and nerd out.

I used to eat mushrooms and go on science trips.

Damn those where the days.

suzzer99 02-12-2014 07:10 PM

I've always thought how cool it would be to be alive when we discovered that there were galaxies other than the Milky Way. If we are on the cusp of discovering other universes - that would be pretty cool.

hometeam 02-12-2014 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 10430374)
I've always thought how cool it would be to be alive when we discovered that there were galaxies other than the Milky Way. If we are on the cusp of discovering other universes - that would be pretty cool.

Good way to get murdered by the church!

BLASPHERMERER...ER ?

MahiMike 02-12-2014 07:23 PM

WWJD?

Baby Lee 02-12-2014 07:24 PM

How much to just get to the Universe where everything's the same, but Derrick Thomas puts on his damn seat belt?

That can't be TOO far away?

ThaVirus 02-12-2014 07:29 PM

If our universe is expanding and there are others surrounding/at the edge of ours, what are we expanding into? Are we merging with another universe?

J Diddy 02-12-2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10430398)
If our universe is expanding and there are others surrounding/at the edge of ours, what are we expanding into? Are we merging with another universe?

Getting ready for some more bruises. Like Ike and Tina bruises.

ThaVirus 02-12-2014 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 10430374)
I've always thought how cool it would be to be alive when we discovered that there were galaxies other than the Milky Way.

Damn, how old are you?!?

jiveturkey 02-12-2014 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10430275)
This gif just keeps going and going.

Prepare yourselves:

http://a.gifb.in/1232024489_The_size_of_planets.gif

Pollux looks like pure evil. We need to figure out a way to explore these crazy stars.

Dave Lane 02-12-2014 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 10430315)

You have Jupiter Saturn and the Orion Nebula that are easy views right now.

Dave Lane 02-12-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10430403)
Damn, how old are you?!?

About 80-90 based on that statement LMAO

Fish 02-12-2014 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10430299)

Check this out. Morgan Freeman's Through the Wormhole episode about that. Full video here:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/throu...-the-universe/