ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Need recommendations for a new TV show to watch (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=286031)

MTG#10 08-28-2014 05:25 PM

Need recommendations for a new TV show to watch

I dont have enough shows to watch right now to fulfill my couch potato appetite so I need some suggestions. I have access to virtually anything so there shouldn't be any limitations.

I'd prefer it be a current show, but anything that has started in the last 10 years or so is acceptable. I'm leaving out comedies since everyone's sense of humor varies greatly.

Some of my favorite shows in no particular order:

Breaking Bad
True Blood (except last 2 seasons)
Fargo
Boardwalk Empire
Game of Thrones
Bates Motel
American Horror Story (this last season was teh gay)
Hell on Wheels
Homeland
Justified
The Leftovers
Shameless
True Detective
Vikings
House of Cards
Dexter (except the last couple seasons)
Southland
Banshee
Deadwood
The Sopranos
Silicon ValleyThe Tudors
Six Feet Under
Rome

Shows that I watch or have watched occasionally but could take them or leave them:

The Walking Dead
Tyrant
Orange is the New Black
Under the Dome
Sherlock
The Wire
Californication
Heroes
Weeds
Downton Abbey

Shows a lot of people like that I couldn't get into, or absolutely couldn't stand:

Sons of Anarchy
Supernatural
Penny Dreadful
Arrow
Masters Of Sex
Mad Men
Prison Break
Most cop/detective shows on local television like NCIS and CSI
Black Sails
The News Room (I actually liked it until the liberal propaganda became so blatant it made me want to puke)

Im about to give The Blacklist a try, dont have very high expectations though for some unknown reason.

GloucesterChief 08-28-2014 05:29 PM

Luther. Only 14 episodes but it is great.

Clyde Frog 08-28-2014 05:32 PM

The Bridge

Rain Man 08-28-2014 05:42 PM

Catch up on past episodes of Arrested Development or It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

The Franchise 08-28-2014 05:43 PM

I heard this show called "Full House" is pretty good.

Silock 08-28-2014 05:44 PM

The Blacklist is AWESOME. You won't be disappointed.

Falling Skies is solid.

Rush is great, and very new.

listopencil 08-28-2014 05:47 PM

Battlestar Galactica (2004), Archer, Dr. Who (2005-).

listopencil 08-28-2014 05:49 PM

Also, An Idiot Abroad.

MTG#10 08-28-2014 05:52 PM

Awesome list so far, thanks guys!

MTG#10 08-28-2014 05:54 PM

I have been meaning to try out Battlestar Galactica. Not a big sci-fi fan but I did love Star Trek TNG and DS9.

Urc Burry 08-28-2014 05:59 PM

Orphan Black is amazing

listopencil 08-28-2014 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 10857439)
I have been meaning to try out Battlestar Galactica. Not a big sci-fi fan but I did love Star Trek TNG and DS9.

It is really, really good. In my opinion the show either transcends the genre (Episodic Sci Fi TV) or takes it to its highest form.

Clyde Frog 08-28-2014 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 10857416)
Also, An Idiot Abroad.

win! nice call and hilarious.

listopencil 08-28-2014 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clyde Frog (Post 10857510)
win! nice call and hilarious.

My son and I watched it together and there were times that we were laughing uncontrollably, which is fairly uncommon.

Clyde Frog 08-28-2014 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 10857521)
My son and I watched it together and there were times that we were laughing uncontrollably, which is fairly uncommon.

It was my "run on the treadmill" show for about two weeks. I nearly fell off 2-3 times from laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. The episode with the Yogis and the one with hugging tent come to mind. The way "Kahl" just speaks his mind without regard to who is around is incredible.

Shag 08-28-2014 06:52 PM

Firefly

MTG#10 08-28-2014 06:53 PM

Loved firefly, that should have been on my list

Shag 08-28-2014 06:54 PM

Quote:

Also, An Idiot Abroad.

First two seasons were fanstastic - some of the hardest laughs from tv I've had in a long time. The third season was terrible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 10857472)
It is really, really good. In my opinion the show either transcends the genre (Episodic Sci Fi TV) or takes it to its highest form.

+1 on BSG. Fantastic show.

Shag 08-28-2014 06:55 PM

The Americans is pretty good, too.

SAUTO 08-28-2014 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clyde Frog (Post 10857310)
The Bridge

Is this really good? I've got this season on the dvr.

Anyone watch hell on wheels? Edit, see mtg does. I've got to finish breaking bad, 6 episodes left, then I'm catching all of th previous hell on wheels episodes then I've got this season dvring
Posted via Mobile Device

TribalElder 08-28-2014 07:06 PM

Lilyhammer

DaveNull 08-28-2014 07:15 PM

Black Mirror from the BBC. Only three long episodes, but each are great. Charlie Brooker is a damn fine critic and does a good job running his own show.

GloucesterChief 08-28-2014 07:41 PM

BBC Top Gear. It is not a car show with comedy, it is a comedy show with cars.

BWillie 08-29-2014 01:28 AM

You watch a ton of ****ing shows. I dont think you ned anymore. Id just scratch True Blood and The Walking Dead. I mean, it doesnt get much worse than those

MTG#10 08-29-2014 03:04 AM

I know it looks like a lot but when you're all caught up on everything there's only so many new episodes a week and a lot of those shows have ended. I normally only have 3-5 episodes to watch per week.

Baby Lee 08-29-2014 03:48 AM

Quote:

Also, An Idiot Abroad.

Seconded, send the perfectly hilarious cynical British suburbanite out to see the world.
Beautifully shot.
If you don't know Karl Pilkington, get to know about him.
We was a guy who worked at Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant's radio station who cracked them up with his observations. He's not trying to be funny. He just sees the world oddly.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/the...ngton-has-ever

http://www.pilkipedia.co.uk/wiki/ind...uotes_By_Topic

He also famously has 'a head like an orange. I think he looks like a bald scruffy Seth McFarlane with Downs.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lbquzm95Pk1qcbnbm.jpg

Anyway they send him around the world to festivals, carnivals, wonders and activities and cajole him to participate. Think 'Human Planet' for a fuddy duddy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vPA6-E0b15k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/p7gL9ofxl0g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There's four seasons to keep you busy.

MTG#10 08-29-2014 05:11 AM

Only British film or comedy I've ever liked was Sean of the Dead. Just can't get into British tv/movies for some reason. I think it's becauseI have a hard time with their accent and how fast they speak. I'll give it a shot though.

Baby Lee 08-29-2014 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 10859365)
Only British film or comedy I've ever liked was Sean of the Dead. Just can't get into British tv/movies for some reason. I think it's becauseI have a hard time with their accent and how fast they speak. I'll give it a shot though.

Not Top Gear or The Office.

Actually, it's worth it for the visuals alone.

Buehler445 08-29-2014 06:32 AM

Made a similar thread awhile back. A little different because I've missed a lot of the classics.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=258883

To your list is add Falling Skies, Suits, Longmire, Magic City and White Collar.

I'd also look up Burn Notice. For mindless time wasters Scrubs and That 70s Show are pretty funny.

unlurking 08-29-2014 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 10859365)

The more you watch, the more you get accustomed to it.

I have to agree with both An Idiot Abroad and Top Gear, although I would put Top Gear above any other recommendation in this thread. I loved BSG, but Top Gear is just hilarious. It's a mix of the coolest cars and some funny idiots doing car related challenges all across the world.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QrqSee60baM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Baby Lee 08-29-2014 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 10859445)
The more you watch, the more you get accustomed to it.

I have to agree with both An Idiot Abroad and Top Gear, although I would put Top Gear above any other recommendation in this thread. I loved BSG, but Top Gear is just hilarious. It's a mix of the coolest cars and some funny idiots doing car related challenges all across the world.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QrqSee60baM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It can get a little formulaic, and the 'races' that so often end the same can be tedious at times, so I prefer episodes stretched out. But then there are bits like this.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QQh56geU0X8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

htismaqe 08-29-2014 08:08 AM

I don't see Psych or Community mentioned anywhere...

lcarus 08-29-2014 09:35 AM

Rescue Me. I think Netflix has it. Great show (at least until about season 4 where it kinda "jumps the shark")

Clyde Frog 08-29-2014 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 10857849)
Is this really good? I've got this season on the dvr.

Anyone watch hell on wheels? Edit, see mtg does. I've got to finish breaking bad, 6 episodes left, then I'm catching all of th previous hell on wheels episodes then I've got this season dvring
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes. It is a different take on the classic mismatched cop drama. I also like that it doesn't use cheesy racial stereotypes even though they are on the US-Mex border. With so many shows and movies having that recycled feel; its nice to have a fresh look at a particular genre.

unlurking 08-29-2014 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10859514)
It can get a little formulaic, and the 'races' that so often end the same can be tedious at times, so I prefer episodes stretched out. But then there are bits like this.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QQh56geU0X8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

True, and to be completely honest, I usually flip through the reasonably priced car segments. The Reliant Robin piece still makes me laugh, and I've seen it dozens of times now.

My favorite episodes these days are usually when they do specials from other countries. And then, they also do some amazingly fun car technology comparison/review pieces...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5gFGX43vubM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BWillie 08-29-2014 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10859539)
I don't see Psych or Community mentioned anywhere...

Good light hearted show..no new episodes now though :(

htismaqe 08-29-2014 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 10860217)
Good light hearted show..no new episodes now though :(

Yeah, it sucks. Fortunately, we didn't ever watch it on cable, so we're not out of episodes yet.

DMAC 08-29-2014 11:52 AM

Rick & Morty

Baby Lee 08-29-2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 10860154)
True, and to be completely honest, I usually flip through the reasonably priced car segments. The Reliant Robin piece still makes me laugh, and I've seen it dozens of times now.

My favorite episodes these days are usually when they do specials from other countries. And then, they also do some amazingly fun car technology comparison/review pieces...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5gFGX43vubM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Did you see this one? Amazing. I actually cried watching it.

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/96981433" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/96981433">Top Gear - Porsche 918 Spyder sub ita</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user20152301">Francesco Miotto</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_AuhjpQPs1M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

unlurking 08-29-2014 01:20 PM

Oh yeah. I'm not normally a Porsche guy, but that 918 is something else.

That must be one heck of a fun job. Hell, Jeremy is like a middle aged 14 year old.

Baby Lee 08-29-2014 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 10860362)
Oh yeah. I'm not normally a Porsche guy, but that 918 is something else.

That must be one heck of a fun job. Hell, Jeremy is like a middle aged 14 year old.

And he punched Piers Morgan.

unlurking 08-29-2014 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10860371)
And he punched Piers Morgan.

Yes!

Started reading World According to Clarkson recently. Guy is funny as hell.

NewChief 08-29-2014 01:37 PM

You might try Rectify. First season is on netflix. It's gotten a lot of critical hype but not much popularity. A good friend of mine is one of the writers.

BSG is solid and don't let fact that it's scifi dissuade you.

Perineum Ripper 08-29-2014 04:06 PM

House..I really like that series..don't know if you have seen any episodes of it

MTG#10 08-29-2014 04:13 PM

House is good but I can only watch so much of it since every episode is pretty much exactly the same.

MTG#10 08-29-2014 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10860401)
You might try Rectify. First season is on netflix. It's gotten a lot of critical hype but not much popularity. A good friend of mine is one of the writers.

BSG is solid and don't let fact that it's scifi dissuade you.

Noted.

So far my list of shows to try in order are:

BSG
Rectify
An Idiot Abroad
Rescue Me
Suits
Psyche

Ive checked out every suggestion but so far those are the ones that interest me the most. Thanks again guys.

cosmo20002 08-29-2014 04:36 PM

The Following

MTG#10 08-29-2014 04:51 PM

Is The Following the one with Kevin Bacon? If so I couldnt get into it.

Love 24 but damn that show stresses me out.

Baby Lee 08-29-2014 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 10860788)
Noted.

So far my list of shows to try in order are:

BSG
Rectify
An Idiot Abroad
Rescue Me
Suits
Psyche

Ive checked out every suggestion but so far those are the ones that interest me the most. Thanks again guys.

What are you in the mood for

BSG - sweeping plot, allegory on Iraq war
Rectify - moody and slow moving, but in a contemplative way
An Idiot Abroad - diverse wide ranging and a lot you haven't seen before on our planet, or haven't seen in quite the way you do here
Rescue Me - all sorts of tones that usually add up well. Frat humor of a station house, dramatic family drama, angry, wistful, herioc
Suits - high stakes legal drama, but isn't a case of the week type of show so much as a power and information struggle in a firm.
Psyche - light, almost silly but usually funny, think The Mentalist as a burnout Gen-Xer who is obsessed with pop culture and lives to joke with and on his buttoned up buddy since childhood teaming up to outwit the traditional police [ie, hide that his Sherlock by the seat of his pants skills are psychic eminations] and in the process help them clear cases.

If you want lighter fare

Psyche, An Idiot Abroad, Rescue Me and Suits in that order.

Is you want heavier fare
BSG and Rectify in that order.

MTG#10 08-29-2014 05:02 PM

I dont really try shows based on moods, just whether or not I think I'll like them.

I watched the first episode of The Blacklist last night, good acting but seemed really far-fetched and overdone. I'll give episode 2 a shot though. There's not many network shows I enjoy for this reason. 90% of my favorite shows are cable shows.

Baby Lee 08-29-2014 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 10860879)
I dont really try shows based on moods, just whether or not I think I'll like them.

I watched the first episode of The Blacklist last night, good acting but seemed really far-fetched and overdone. I'll give episode 2 a shot though. There's not many network shows I enjoy for this reason. 90% of my favorite shows are cable shows.

I watch shows with a wide array of moods, but what I watch in the moment depends on what I'm in the mood for then.

For instance, I would rarely watch say Psyche with a fresh GoT on tap, but I might AIA. Psyche is silly, while AIA is funny and beautiful and informative.

If I'm tired I might not watch Suits because I'd have to remember the double crosses and double-double crosses. But if I'm alert that kind of intrigue would be right up my alley.

Sitting down on a particular night you'd never have a preference between GoT, Bates Motel and Shameless

Also, the Suits thing reminded me. Scandal might be one you like, soapy, but flawlessly scripted and acted. Well flawless is debatable because it stretches credibility on some of it's plotting, but is damn gripping political intrigue.

Bwana 08-29-2014 05:23 PM

Mountain Men
Bering Sea Gold
Gold Rush Alaska

All solid shows.

MTG#10 08-29-2014 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10860905)
Sitting down on a particular night you'd never have a preference between GoT, Bates Motel and Shameless

If I had all three ready to watch I'd watch them in order from least liked to most, I always save the best for last. So it'd be Bates, Shameless, then GoT. :thumb:

SAUTO 08-29-2014 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10860932)
Mountain Men
Bering Sea Gold
Gold Rush Alaska

All solid shows.

I watch all of them lol.

Under the ice is great too . Crazy mothers. New episodes tonight I think
Posted via Mobile Device

listopencil 08-29-2014 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 10859514)

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QQh56geU0X8" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Yes. That is one of my favorite bits of TV ever.

GloucesterChief 08-29-2014 07:40 PM

The Destroying a Hilux is the best bit that Top Gear has done in my opinion.

Anyway, British shows I enjoyed:

Dr. Who
Top Gear
Luther
Blackadder
Yes Minister
A Bit of Fry and Laurie
That Mitchell and Webb Look

OldSchool 08-29-2014 08:18 PM

Did you ever watch Dexter?

MTG#10 08-30-2014 10:57 AM

Yeah its on my list in the OP...it was a great show that went two seasons too long. And the ending was terrible.

Rausch 08-30-2014 11:00 AM

FRINGE.

Starts very slow in season 1 but gains steam.
(Positive: all eps available on netflix and hulu.)

Bwana 08-30-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 10861132)
I watch all of them lol.

Under the ice is great too . Crazy mothers. New episodes tonight I think
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree, everyone on that entire show is a little off. I think you would have to be to be doing that stuff. The Kelly boys crack me up. It's like they brought them up from the back hills of Arkansas and dropped them off on the ice sheet to gain maximum hillbilly effect.

SAUTO 08-30-2014 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 10862940)
I agree, everyone on that entire show is a little off. I think you would have to be to be doing that stuff. The Kelly boys crack me up. It's like they brought them up from the back hills of Arkansas and dropped them off on the ice sheet to gain maximum hillbilly effect.

Lol I thought they were from Boston due to their accents. Knuckleheads for sure...
Posted via Mobile Device

SuperChief 08-30-2014 02:41 PM

If you watch a comedy, go with The Office. You won't regret it.

Your favorites list is pretty identical to mine. I'd definitely take a look at The Shield and The Killing.

MTG#10 08-30-2014 02:57 PM

I like the American version of The Office, does that count? I'm not really looking for comedies or sitcoms so much as I am 45-60 min series

Baby Lee 08-30-2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 10863302)
I like the American version of The Office, does that count? I'm not really looking for comedies or sitcoms so much as I am 45-60 min series

Can't believe I referred to it without expressly recommending it. If you haven't seen BBC's Planet Earth Series [Planet Earth, Frozen Planet and Human Planet] it is some of the most visually stunning and fascinating series ever. I've said in the past, it justifies the invention of TV, certainly HDTV. They travel the ends of the earth to document the most varied and rare of wildlife and terrain. They filmed many many things that hadn't even been SEEN by human eye before, let alone recorded.

Here's a hastily retrieved sampling, licensing doesn't allow narration, but it is as important an aspect of the production as anything as it's a even measured explanation of the import and context of what you are watching.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WjGVpRzqgik" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tribal Warfare 08-30-2014 04:43 PM

The Knick

Directed by Steven Soderbergh and starring Clive Owen

Buehler445 08-30-2014 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 10863619)
The Knick

Directed by Steven Soderbergh and starring Clive Owen

How is that? I haven't decided whether or not to get into it.

Baby Lee 08-30-2014 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 10863638)

Have just seen the first episode, but I found it fascinating, and Clive Owen was a BAUCE.

The poor nurse who had to remedy his condition.

Otter 08-30-2014 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 10857278)
Orange is the New Black

AKA - Clam Oz

listopencil 08-30-2014 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 10862485)
Yeah its on my list in the OP...it was a great show that went two seasons too long. And the ending was terrible.

Blackadder is on Netflix now. I don't know if you'll get into it. I enjoyed it as a teen, and my 16 year old son enjoyed it, but my attention wandered when he was watching it this Summer.

MTG#10 08-30-2014 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 10863643)
AKA - Clam Oz

Oz was a great show, I forgot about that one. I may have to start that over again one of these days.

Baby Lee 08-30-2014 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 10863948)
Oz was a great show, I forgot about that one. I may have to start that over again one of these days.

An interesting long term experiment might be to intersperse watching an episode of Oz, then an episode from the Law and Order franchise, lather rinse repeat through the series' run.

Both shows pretty much wring out the New York dramatic actors roster, and mostly the 'good guys' in one show are the 'bad guys' in the other.

GloucesterChief 08-30-2014 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 10863771)
Blackadder is on Netflix now. I don't know if you'll get into it. I enjoyed it as a teen, and my 16 year old son enjoyed it, but my attention wandered when he was watching it this Summer.

The first season wasn't that great and they were still finding the characters roles. After that it is one of the funniest series ever made. The final episode though is heartbreaking.

Still you can't beat the casting: Rowan Atkinson, Tony Robinson, Hugh Laurie, and Stephen Fry.

Tribal Warfare 08-31-2014 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 10863638)

If you can't stand the sight of blood then this show isn't for you, outside of that it's fascinating and the acting is top notch.

TribalElder 09-01-2014 09:33 AM

It was probably mentioned but

The Killing - on netflix