ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=319738)

TwistedChief 12-20-2018 07:29 PM

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

I'll admit that I don't think CP is a place that would normally appreciate a show like this that's based on 1950s/1960s Jews in NYC. But - it's on Amazon Prime and the second season was just released, and it's the most brilliantly written show I've ever encountered wherever you come from. Smart, funny, EVERYTHING. Incredible casting.

My top five all time that this is trying to break into (as perspective):

Seinfeld
The Wire
Game of Thrones
Black Mirror

If this gets one of you gentiles to consider watching, I'll say it's a success.

Buehler445 12-20-2018 11:07 PM

Fine. I'll take a look.

I am very much a gentile.

Mephistopheles Janx 12-20-2018 11:17 PM

It is a fantastic show. Wife and I decided to watch because we love stand-up and we plowed through the entire first season in about 3 days.

I'm always hesitant about a show's second season because they often fail to recapture the magic that the first had. That said, we are waiting until all episodes are available so we can just smash through it.

007 12-20-2018 11:31 PM

This show is awesome. Started season 1 last year when it dropped and couldn't stop. Season 2 was blasted through in a day. Great show.

Baby Lee 12-21-2018 04:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I can see how Maisel might not be for everyone, but it is exceedingly difficult to argue that it isn't expertly made.

If I were to try to generate what complaints against it would be, it would be that it's twee, busy and talky. But that's Amy Sherman-Palladino's style, and it's a great way to efficiently and movingly tell a story, in the night hands.

It's very 50s, very New York. It's Capra-esque and also quite old-school Howard Hawks with the rapid-fire dialog of His Girl Friday. If you've seen Gilmore Girls, you are ready for it [GG scripts were notoriously twice as long as most 42 minute dramas]. Sorkin tries to do it on occasion [walk and talks], but rarely as elegantly.

It's decidedly 'white' aspiring Jewish, with a lot of 'privilege' on display. I mean, it's the story of a pampered and sheltered young wife moving back home with mommy and daddy [and servants], who leaves the kids with the help to slink out and try to become a standup comic on the sly. Papa is a professor. Mama is a 50s housewife with the attendant obsession with society standing and wistful dreams of spending her life studying art in Paris.

And the entire thing kind of walks a line between perfectly perfect and too perfect. Period details are visually stunning and engrossing, but all the peripheral characters are there to serve the narrative. It's very 'broadway play' in that way [the butcher, the baker, the beat cop, . . . everyone knows the central characters and interacts with them to propel the story forward. . . Tidy].

But it's also dizzyingly constructed so that you only notice if you are of a mind to gripe. Kind of like you can simply enjoy a musical, or sit and stew wondering 'why are people singing all their dialog?!?!'

Brosnahan is the undisputed center of the show, but all the central characters are well constructed. Tony Shalhoub as her father and Kevin Pollack as her father-in-law are particularly good and get meaty moments aplenty.

And perhaps the best part of the entire show is, Maisel is a comedienne who is actually written FUNNY. She's not the fake stilted funny of the usual dramatization of a comedian, written by a non-standup. Her standup bits hold up against actual standups, whether of that era or even today. By the time you're through the episodes, you believe this is a person who could 'make it' in actual showbiz.

<iframe width="949" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/76bH1b9XreE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also, when her family vacationed in the Catskills, there was an outfit that was so jaw-droppingly hot I had to screencap it for posterity. So, if nothing else, it's worth watching for the eye-candy.

007 12-21-2018 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13974642)
I can see how Maisel might not be for everyone, but it is exceedingly difficult to argue that it isn't expertly made.

If I were to try to generate what complaints against it would be, it would be that it's twee, busy and talky. But that's Amy Sherman-Palladino's style, and it's a great way to efficiently and movingly tell a story, in the night hands.

It's very 50s, very New York. It's Capra-esque and also quite old-school Howard Hawkes with the rapid-fire dialog of His Girl Friday. If you've seen Gilmore Girls, you are ready for it [GG scripts were notoriously twice as long as most 42 minute dramas]. Sorkin tries to do it on occasion [walk and talks], but rarely as elegantly.

It's decidedly 'white' aspiring Jewish, with a lot of 'privilege' on display. I mean, it's the story of a pampered and sheltered young wife moving back home with mommy and daddy [and servants], who leaves the kids with the help to slink out and try to become a standup comic on the sly. Papa is a professor. Mama is a 50s housewife with the attendant obsession with society standing and wistful dreams of spending her life studying art in Paris.

And the entire thing kind of walks a line between perfectly perfect and too perfect. Period details are visually stunning and engrossing, but all the peripheral characters are there to serve the narrative. It's very 'broadway play' in that way [the butcher, the baker, the beat cop, . . . everyone knows the central characters and interacts with them to propel the story forward. . . Tidy].

But it's also dizzyingly constructed so that you only notice if you are of a mind to gripe. Kind of like you can simply enjoy a musical, or sit and stew wondering 'why are people singing all their dialog?!?!'

Brosnahan is the undisputed center of the show, but all the central characters are well constructed. Tony Shalhoub as her father and Kevin Pollack as her father-in-law are particularly good and get meaty moments aplenty.

And perhaps the best part of the entire show is, Maisel is a comedienne who is actually written FUNNY. She's not the fake stilted funny of the usual dramatization of a comedian, written by a non-standup. Her standup bits hold up against actual standups, whether of that era or even today. By the time you're through the episodes, you believe this is a person who could 'make it' in actual showbiz.

<iframe width="949" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/76bH1b9XreE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also, when her family vacationed in the Catskills, there was an outfit that was so jaw-droppingly hot I had to screencap it for posterity. So, if nothing else, it's worth watching for the eye-candy.

Season one Episode one has a nice little jaw dropping moment as well. :)

Baby Lee 12-21-2018 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 13974645)
Season one Episode one has a nice little jaw dropping moment as well. :)

I haven't watched the first season since it premiered, are you referring to the decolletage in her first set?

chiefzilla1501 12-21-2018 05:21 AM

I will check it out. I'll inform my genitals as well.

Baby Lee 12-21-2018 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13974652)
I will check it out. I'll inform my genitals as well.

Thing is, she's 'sneaky' hot. She doesn't flaunt sexuality, and she dresses appropriately for a society gal the era. But every once in a while it hits you that her figure is fairly amazing.

BigRedChief 12-21-2018 06:53 AM

We saw season 1 after the emmy win, loved it. Finished watching season 2. We loved it. My wife never, ever re-watches anything. She wants to binge watch the whole series over the holiday break.Cinematography, acting and directing are all top shelf. Loved the Catskills show.

This is a much watch if you haven't seen the show. Something new in this era, feels fresh and not something already done a 100 times.

Baby Lee 12-21-2018 07:05 AM

I'm spoilering this so those who haven't seen it get to experience it fresh, but it's not a plot point so much as something to enjoy for those who have seen it.

I have a . . . particular . . . regimen.

Spoiler!

007 12-21-2018 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13974649)
I haven't watched the first season since it premiered, are you referring to the decolletage in her first set?

Well thats one way to put it. LMAO

cooper barrett 12-22-2018 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13974654)
Thing is, she's 'sneaky' hot. She doesn't flaunt sexuality, and she dresses appropriately for a society gal the era. But every once in a while it hits you that her figure is fairly amazing.

https://houseofhipsters.com/wp-conte...me-decor-2.png

http://ancensored.com/files/images/v...24cce_full.jpg

NSFW

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/336dIYLHA7s?start=102" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

T-post Tom 12-22-2018 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13974642)
Sorkin tries to do it on occasion [walk and talks], but rarely as elegantly.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uqXdG0bPeYA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pitt Gorilla 12-22-2018 01:53 PM

I’ve loved every minute of this show. The dialogue is fast and funny.

Zebedee DuBois 12-22-2018 06:05 PM

I really enjoy the show, it is very well done in acting, costuming, visuals.

Tony Shaloub is a pleasure to watch. His comic timing is superb. I can't think of any role he has done that I didnt enjoy.

Buehler445 12-22-2018 06:39 PM

I started Season 1 last night, it's pretty damned good. Her standup bits were really funny.

TwistedChief 12-22-2018 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13976625)
I started Season 1 last night, it's pretty damned good. Her standup bits were really funny.

Mazel tov, my gentile friend.

vailpass 12-23-2018 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 13974096)
I'll admit that I don't think CP is a place that would normally appreciate a show like this that's based on 1950s/1960s Jews in NYC.

Has anyone told you to go **** yourself for this condescending swipe yet?

But yeah I watched the first episode, seems like it has potential. She reminds me of a girl from my grad school days.
Also were those girls bleaching their bikini areas? I thought that was only for the backdoor?

TwistedChief 12-23-2018 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 13978959)
Has anyone told you to go **** yourself for this condescending swipe yet?

Has anyone told you to go **** yourself as a Broncos fan on a Chiefs message board opining on acceptable media takes?

That said, glad you liked it. It's said that season 1 distracted Von Miller enough that he decided to forego murder this prior offseason.

Baby Lee 01-10-2019 11:20 AM

<iframe width="949" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d4jpyayCojk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

InChiefsHeaven 01-10-2019 11:23 AM

Wife and I just binged it last couple of weeks...I loved it. It has so many cool little interactions, the dialogue is great, the actors are good...I'm pissed I have to wait for season 3 now!

bowener 01-10-2019 02:43 PM

The dialogue and characters in this show are some of the best written and acted in the last decade. TV or film.

Baby Lee 01-10-2019 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 14023060)
The dialogue and characters in this show are some of the best written and acted in the last decade. TV or film.

. . . you hesitated. . .

Mecca 01-11-2019 12:37 AM

This show is really good.

Simply Red 01-11-2019 01:33 AM

My parents really liked it.

Buehler445 01-14-2019 02:02 AM

Just got through both seasons. It was really good.

Honestly, I can’t think of the last comedy I was really into. But for whatever reason I really dug this one. Looking back, I don’t really know why. I’m not really into 60s period pieces. Definitely not a Jew. Not into the club scene or comedy scene much. Know virtually nothing about New York and high society. Other than it is written well enough I give a shit about the characters.

S1 was really funny. Especially the stand up bits. But they also made some jokes that were legit funny in the banter.

S2 was less standup but focused harder on the characters. I obviously care about Miriam, but I thought Joel’s arc was fascinating. The Lenny Bruce stuff at the end worked well and hit home. There was also some ridiculousness that was fairly offputting. Especially the Catskills business was pretty over the top and an outing but once they cut to the business it worked OK.

All in all a really really good watch coming from a guy that was skeptical as hell.

Funniest joke?

Spoiler!

TwistedChief 01-14-2019 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14036566)
Just got through both seasons. It was really good.

Honestly, I can’t think of the last comedy I was really into. But for whatever reason I really dug this one. Looking back, I don’t really know why. I’m not really into 60s period pieces. Definitely not a Jew. Not into the club scene or comedy scene much. Know virtually nothing about New York and high society. Other than it is written well enough I give a shit about the characters.

S1 was really funny. Especially the stand up bits. But they also made some jokes that were legit funny in the banter.

S2 was less standup but focused harder on the characters. I obviously care about Miriam, but I thought Joel’s arc was fascinating. The Lenny Bruce stuff at the end worked well and hit home. There was also some ridiculousness that was fairly offputting. Especially the Catskills business was pretty over the top and an outing but once they cut to the business it worked OK.

All in all a really really good watch coming from a guy that was skeptical as hell.

Funniest joke?

Spoiler!

So I'll see you at temple for Yom Kippur? L'Chaim, you mensch.

In all seriousness, I think it's just brilliantly written and stylishly composed. I am Jewish but more of the self-loathing type so would typically actively avoid something with this subject matter. Yet it hit on all cylinders. Glad you enjoyed.

Deberg_1990 01-14-2019 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 14023982)
My parents really liked it.

My grandparents loved it!

BigBeauford 01-14-2019 08:32 AM

For those who have wrapped this show up, you now have to watch Catastrophe!

Baby Lee 01-14-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 14036772)
For those who have wrapped this show up, you now have to watch Catastrophe!

So easy to hate watch that. . . Sharon is so brittle and Rob is such a pussy. Chris saves that show.

Buehler445 01-14-2019 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 14023778)
. . . you hesitated. . .

...I did...

ROFL

Buehler445 01-14-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13974654)

Brosnan is amazing.

The one who is sneaky about it is Rose.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Kk112C5SNW0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Baby Lee 01-14-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14036882)
Brosnan is amazing.

The one who is sneaky about it is Rose.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Kk112C5SNW0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It was a long-running, low-key tragedy that Marin spent all those prime years making good money to play the harridan ex-wife of loser brother on that show.

SithCeNtZ 01-14-2019 10:29 AM

I thought it was funny and will keep watching, but the show has an annoying habit of bringing up plot points and then, for whatever reason, completely forgetting about them or bringing them up randomly. Characters often randomly change their mind and act differently episode to episode, with no explanation as to what changed(the entire France side plot was a great example).

Buehler445 01-14-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SithCeNtZ (Post 14037104)
I thought it was funny and will keep watching, but the show has an annoying habit of bringing up plot points and then, for whatever reason, completely forgetting about them or bringing them up randomly. Characters often randomly change their mind and act differently episode to episode, with no explanation as to what changed(the entire France side plot was a great example).

:spock:

Really? I thought the Paris bit worked well. It was a little bit unbelievable in terms of the logistics of money and how unbelievably wealthy you'd have to be to accomplish that and shit, but whatever.

There has been some criticism that Rose and her situation didn't change after that little endeavor, but the way I see it, Rose chose to go back to Abe - with the money and lifestyle. And that's the way it had to be.

I think the art classes, while kind of clunky, pointed to the reason why she quit being so passionate about it. She loved the idea of art and living the artists life, until she met girls that were trying to do it. And she "grew up" in a way that the life down that path isn't all roses.

SithCeNtZ 01-14-2019 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14037149)
:spock:

Really? I thought the Paris bit worked well. It was a little bit unbelievable in terms of the logistics of money and how unbelievably wealthy you'd have to be to accomplish that and shit, but whatever.

There has been some criticism that Rose and her situation didn't change after that little endeavor, but the way I see it, Rose chose to go back to Abe - with the money and lifestyle. And that's the way it had to be.

I think the art classes, while kind of clunky, pointed to the reason why she quit being so passionate about it. She loved the idea of art and living the artists life, until she met girls that were trying to do it. And she "grew up" in a way that the life down that path isn't all roses.

But you skipped over the entire part of Abe ending an episode basically having a nervous breakdown for how rediculous the situation is and then magically the next episode he loves everything, learns French, loves the dog, and generally completely changes his uptight, rigid lifestyle out of the blue. Then they come back and he’s basically the same rigid guy as before except he does find rose the job at the university. And that’s just one major thing. How about the entire “insulting the other comic” plot Line? She gets blacklisted, apparently, except she doesn’t but for like 10 minutes of show time, then the comedian hates her so much she sends two guys out to either rough up or kill her manager, except they don’t and they warn her to stop doing acts. The manager ignores it and nothing ever comes of it. It’s not even talked about. Oh and then they run in to the guys sent to hurt her weeks(?) later and the other comedian does nothing but...sets her time slot back. Wow. From blacklisting and kidnapping/ possible assault/murder to knocking her timeslot back AND hiring the manager she was apparently fine with killing a little bit ago. Where did the booking manager who blacklisted her go? Who knows. There’s main points like that and then smaller ones where scenes happen and are never mentioned again. Remember when Abe and the ex-husbands dad split the condo and then it was never talked about again? Like I said, it didn’t stop me from enjoying the show, but this kind of stuff does happen quite a bit.

Molitoth 07-15-2019 06:24 PM

HOLY HAT this show is good.

siberian khatru 07-15-2019 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 14349432)
HOLY HAT this show is good.

Wife and I just started watching it. We both love it.

BigRedChief 07-15-2019 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 14349436)

what the hell have you been watching instead? This show is top shelf.

Baby Lee 07-16-2019 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 14349436)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14349787)

You've ruined tomato juice for me.

siberian khatru 07-16-2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 14349787)

I knew someone would say this.

You know how much streaming episodic TV there is today? How much of it is "must see"? I'd have to watch HOURS of that EVERY night to even begin to keep up. And that would leave no room for sports, which I watch a lot of. And movies.

The beauty of streaming is I can watch it when I want to, days, weeks, months or even YEARS later.

We watched Stranger Things 3 the first weekend it came out. We finished Friday Night Lights a couple of months ago. Hell, we finally watched The Sopranos (even though I knew all the major plot points) and finished that a couple of weeks ago.

We started Veep. Liked it. Need to get back to it.

I want to watch Black Mirror. I started The Expanse and want to get back to that. I still haven't seen Man in the High Castle.

I'm sorry I'm not watching things on everyone else's schedule!

vailpass 07-16-2019 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 14350250)

You know how much streaming episodic TV there is today? How much of it is "must see"? I'd have to watch HOURS of that EVERY night to even begin to keep up. And that would leave no room for sports, which I watch a lot of. And movies.

The beauty of streaming is I can watch it when I want to, days, weeks, months or even YEARS later.

We watched Stranger Things 3 the first weekend it came out. We finished Friday Night Lights a couple of months ago. Hell, we finally watched The Sopranos (even though I knew all the major plot points) and finished that a couple of weeks ago.

I want to watch Black Mirror. I started The Expanse and want to get back to that. I still haven't seen Man in the High Castle.

WHY AREN'T YOU WATCHING THIS SHOW RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

DeepPurple 07-16-2019 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 13974096)
...it's the most brilliantly written show I've ever encountered wherever you come from. Smart, funny, EVERYTHING. Incredible casting.

My top five all time that this is trying to break into (as perspective):

Seinfeld
The Wire
Game of Thrones
Black Mirror

If this gets one of you gentiles to consider watching, I'll say it's a success.

Did you ever watch the HBO series Six Feet Under? That's my favorite all time pick. It was six seasons, 63 episodes, I've seen the entire series 4 times. The cast was Peter Krause, Richard Jenkins, Michael C. Hall, Francis Conroy, Lauren Ambrose, Freddy Rodriguez, Jeremy Sisto and Rachel Griffiths.

Here is the last ten minutes of episode #63 where everybody in the show dies and you see what happens to them. The music is Sia Breathe Me, which became a hit and made her famous from this scene. Most everyone on the show went on to have their own shows. I just saw Freddy Rodriguez last night on Bull, Peter Krause has had several shows, Richard Jenkins is in many movies. Michael C. Hall was Dexter, I could go. To me, this was the Best!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3difXqlpwVc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigRedChief 07-17-2019 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 14350250)

See you need me to manage your TV time. but you owe me.
You need to drop Black Mirror and the Expanse. Both are hit and miss on the quality.Forget the man in the castle. First season was okay but its unsettling to watch a show about Nazi's winning the war, the ovens and the final solution went on etc.

I liked Veep but the wife didn't. Sopranos still holds up today. I've only have a chance to watch 2 episodes of Stranger things.

Get these in your queue ASAP. Chernobyl, Godless for the cinematography, Daredevil and Glow.

Bill is in the mail.ROFL

007 12-07-2019 12:28 PM

Season 3 is available now.

https://twitter.com/PrimeVideo/statu...475333120?s=19

Baby Lee 12-07-2019 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14638472)

God damnit . . . . GODDAMNIT! God, . . . . I'm fine . . . .

Pitt Gorilla 12-07-2019 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14638472)

Awesome.

Baby Lee 12-13-2019 04:30 PM

His dick was so big, even when he cheated on me, . . . his dick was a bigger dick.

InChiefsHeaven 12-18-2019 09:51 AM

Loved season 3, but it was interesting how much musical performance was in it. Not just a quick shot of Shy Baldwin on stage, but whole numbers that he does. It almost feels like the writers were like..."Hey, we don't have to keep writing awesome witty dialog, we can just have a bunch of performance stuff to fill in with..."

Having said that, the performances I'm talking about are really well done and authentic. I read that they created a couple of original songs for this, and you'd never know it, it's that seemless. I do wish we had more of the other characters (Joel, her parents) but since she's on the road, it makes sense that it's more about her. But there was enough of the other stuff to keep me happy, I still give this show top ratings.

The end of this season...oi...I can't wait to see what they do now...

Buehler445 12-18-2019 10:22 AM

Season 3 killed it. I can't think of any specific part they didn't do well. Like ICH said, the musical numbers were really good. Normally that kind of stuff takes me out of it. Luke Cage was the only other time those long musical productions actually worked in the movie off the top of my head. Maybe the one in the 5th Element. But they were really good. Coupled with the filmography.

Brosnan just did an extraordinary job. Just straight slayed it. The comedy was funny and endearing. Actually her introductions of Shy were really good. Like the musical numbers, her introductions just put me in it. It's a small thing, but if they muffed some of those I really don't know where the rest of the show would land.

The interpersonal stuff was as good as any of the seasons. It was all extraordinarily nuanced without beating you over head with any of it. The stuff with her and Bruce was amazing, the rollercoaster with Suzie and Sophie, her and her parents, her and Joel. The bit with Abe and his buddy in Florida hit pretty well. The whole bit was really really good. On that note the writing was TIGHT. It takes a hell of a lot of things to go right to pull of dialogue like that.

I really hope Amazon makes a ****ing mountain of money off of it. This was as good of a production as can be reasonably expected. The showrunners and cast deserve a hit here, because this show is really ****ing good.

Molitoth 12-18-2019 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 14663446)
I do wish we had more of the other characters (Joel, her parents)...

Really? I can see more of Joel being intriguing... but some of the scenes involving the parents are just cringe-worthy.

LESS parents imo.

InChiefsHeaven 12-18-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 14663698)
Really? I can see more of Joel being intriguing... but some of the scenes involving the parents are just cringe-worthy.

LESS parents imo.

This season I suppose. I didn't like what they did with her parents, but I love their interaction and characters. The bit about the commies was quite laborious, I'll grant you that.

TwistedChief 12-26-2019 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14663485)
Season 3 killed it. I can't think of any specific part they didn't do well. Like ICH said, the musical numbers were really good. Normally that kind of stuff takes me out of it. Luke Cage was the only other time those long musical productions actually worked in the movie off the top of my head. Maybe the one in the 5th Element. But they were really good. Coupled with the filmography.

Brosnan just did an extraordinary job. Just straight slayed it. The comedy was funny and endearing. Actually her introductions of Shy were really good. Like the musical numbers, her introductions just put me in it. It's a small thing, but if they muffed some of those I really don't know where the rest of the show would land.

The interpersonal stuff was as good as any of the seasons. It was all extraordinarily nuanced without beating you over head with any of it. The stuff with her and Bruce was amazing, the rollercoaster with Suzie and Sophie, her and her parents, her and Joel. The bit with Abe and his buddy in Florida hit pretty well. The whole bit was really really good. On that note the writing was TIGHT. It takes a hell of a lot of things to go right to pull of dialogue like that.

I really hope Amazon makes a ****ing mountain of money off of it. This was as good of a production as can be reasonably expected. The showrunners and cast deserve a hit here, because this show is really ****ing good.

Nailed it. Just finished the new episodes and I feel the same way. I’m so impressed with the consistency between seasons. The writing alone blows my mind.

MagicHef 12-26-2019 04:57 PM

Great season, my only complaint was that I knew she would out Shy as soon as we saw her find out that he was gay.

BryanBusby 12-26-2019 11:31 PM

Season 3 was better than Season 2 IMO and Season 2 was good. That's a good sign.

TwistedChief 02-19-2022 10:32 PM

It's baaaaaack.

Two episodes at a time.

The ferris wheel scene from episode one is great.

Show is brilliant.

Buehler445 02-20-2022 12:48 AM

Niiiiiiice. Thanks for the heads up. I love this show.

BigRedChief 02-20-2022 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 16154364)
It's baaaaaack.

Two episodes at a time.

Show is brilliant.

Classic scene.:thumb:

BryanBusby 02-20-2022 11:34 AM

them titties are still magnificent

rabblerouser 02-20-2022 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 16154364)
It's baaaaaack.

Two episodes at a time.

Show is brilliant.

Watched both new episodes last night.

The writing, acting, and dialogue on this show is second to none.

Agree with Twisted Chief's assertion of brilliance.

rabblerouser 02-20-2022 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SithCeNtZ (Post 14038795)
But you skipped over the entire part of Abe ending an episode basically having a nervous breakdown for how rediculous the situation is and then magically the next episode he loves everything, learns French, loves the dog, and generally completely changes his uptight, rigid lifestyle out of the blue. Then they come back and he’s basically the same rigid guy as before except he does find rose the job at the university. And that’s just one major thing. How about the entire “insulting the other comic” plot Line? She gets blacklisted, apparently, except she doesn’t but for like 10 minutes of show time, then the comedian hates her so much she sends two guys out to either rough up or kill her manager, except they don’t and they warn her to stop doing acts. The manager ignores it and nothing ever comes of it. It’s not even talked about. Oh and then they run in to the guys sent to hurt her weeks(?) later and the other comedian does nothing but...sets her time slot back. Wow. From blacklisting and kidnapping/ possible assault/murder to knocking her timeslot back AND hiring the manager she was apparently fine with killing a little bit ago. Where did the booking manager who blacklisted her go? Who knows. There’s main points like that and then smaller ones where scenes happen and are never mentioned again. Remember when Abe and the ex-husbands dad split the condo and then it was never talked about again? Like I said, it didn’t stop me from enjoying the show, but this kind of stuff does happen quite a bit.

So, there's some context you're missing :

1. Abe went to Paris to get his wife back. He was pretending to have fun in Paris, he looked at it as an extended vacation...until his wife started talking about buying that apartment, and old Abe came right back. Immediately.

Context.

2. The guys Sophie's manager sent to rough Susie up were from her old neighborhood, Susie and those guys sat on the train and connected...Midge was still blacklisted, Susie's boss at the Gaslight came to tell her that Midge couldn't even use the bathroom...and that's why they pulled their favor with having Midge open for Lenny Bruce, the KING of blacklisted comics.

Like, there's a LOT of subtlety inherent in this show, part of what makes it so great. Body language, facial expressions, implications are all part of it. If you're staring at your phone while listening, you'll miss chunks.

Zebedee DuBois 02-23-2022 12:00 PM

Midge and Joel will eventually get back together. Who can't see that coming?

Graystoke 02-23-2022 12:11 PM

My wife adores this show just because of the wardrobes.
Midges budget for clothes must be insane.
I like it for Abe and that's it. Most of the time its over the top for my taste.

rabblerouser 03-04-2022 07:20 PM

New episodes tonight!

A8bil 03-04-2022 07:29 PM

Brosnahan has Robin Williams-level freneticism at times. She's pretty impressive in her role.

DJ's left nut 03-09-2022 11:16 AM

This show fell apart for me halfway through season 2; stopped watching it.

But man, Rachel Brosnahan is quite hot and has a sneaky great rack.

Baby Lee 03-09-2022 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16182079)

Those skirts they put her in that show how petite her waist is should be against the Geneva Conventions for torture.

And I enjoy it for what it is without expecting it to be anything else, banter, sets, pacing and wit. That's ASP's signature and she's great at it.

Buehler445 03-09-2022 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16182079)

Yeah. Shit got kind of off the rails in Paris. But whatever. My expectations are low. I was super surprised by season 1. 2 was meh. I’ll watch 3 and hope it recatches the magic. If not, whatever. I’m good just watching the eye candy and chuckling at a few moments.

But yeah. Brosnahan is fantastic. Just, out of nowhere smokeshow.

Buehler445 03-09-2022 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 16182202)
Those skirts they put her in that show how petite her waist is should be against the Geneva Conventions for torture.

And I enjoy it for what it is without expecting it to be anything else, banter, sets, pacing and wit. That's ASP's signature and she's great at it.

ROFL. Well said.

And that’s a reasonable expectation and probably about where I sit too.

However in season 1, there were some really compelling moments. I was really surprised. The pull yourself up by the bootstraps business was much better than I expected. Same with the Lenny Bruce stuff. I was really surprised if the impact with those scenes.

Moreover some of the sets were funny. Funnier than I expected.

Anyway, S1 kinda blew me away.

rabblerouser 03-12-2022 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 16182429)
Yeah. Shit got kind of off the rails in Paris.

I loved it, great insight into Abe and Rose.

I'm Abe Weismann. Happy deluding myself in Paris...until she starts talking about buying the apartment.

Of course, Abe quit his job etc., so he should've just listened to her.

I am Abe Weissman.

InChiefsHeaven 03-12-2022 07:02 AM

I actually loved all of this until this season. EP 1 was pretty good, then it frankly started to SUCK...then the last 3 episodes got good again. Wife and I finished it last night. I liked the way it ended, but this season as a whole was probably the worst. The ending saved it though. They have some pretty contrived crap going on, but it feels like it's going to head in the right direction after wandering aimlessly for the better part of this season.

I'll keep watching. And yeah, that waste line...oy...

Baby Lee 03-12-2022 07:41 AM

Are you not familiar with our bicameral system of legislature?

Buehler445 03-23-2022 09:35 PM

Just watched it. I waited until I could binge because hell if I'm going to wait week to week.

They did it again. I was compelled. Normally silly shit like
Spoiler!

would take me out of it, but I was still staying up too late and watching it.

The banter was as good as it ever was. There was a LOT of really funny dialogue. Just really well done. Camera work and blocking remains excellent. And of course costumes and props were excellent. The dialogue stands on it's own but all the little small worldbuilding details really help smooth the silly shit that normally takes me out of it.

Of course, when it got down to it, there was some really compelling moments.

Joel was infallable. Every scene he was in jumped off the screen and his performance said so much that had nothing to do with the words he was saying. Great performance.

Midge was her standard awesome performance that floats the thing.

The 2 mafia guys were really funny. Especially after they investigate May LOL. Hopefully they stick around more.

When
Spoiler!

was damned compelling television, format be damned. That was a ****ing scene.

Lenny Bruce stole the show. He was great in every scene he was in. The last one though is for the ages. Every word out of his mouth was straight compelling even if
Spoiler!

They continue to keep me engaged despite this not being my type of show.

gblowfish 03-24-2022 12:09 PM

Lenny Bruce died of a heroin overdose in Los Angeles in 1966. His career spiraled out of control the last five years of his life from drug abuse. Sad.

The lead chick is pretty hot. Her black corset was...um....inspiring.

I've had a hankerin' for bagels all week... hmmm...

TwistedChief 05-05-2023 06:57 PM

This season - the final one - is absolutely amazing.

I got a chance to talk with Kevin Pollack (Moishe Maisel) last year at the Big Slick and he told me that this show was the best, most cohesive group he's ever worked with. And he's obviously been in almost everything.

Demonpenz 05-05-2023 07:01 PM

Not digging the future segments

TwistedChief 05-05-2023 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 16935111)
Not digging the future segments

Have you seen the roast???????

Not possible to dislike this episode. Episode 6.

Zebedee DuBois 05-05-2023 08:33 PM

Ep.6 did a lot of story telling. I was almost wondering if it was the finale because it tied off a bunch of plot strings.

DJ's left nut 05-05-2023 09:23 PM

Wow.

Credit to y'all - I believe I quit in season 3. She spent the summer in the Hampton's or something. It got real bad, real fast.

Did it get better or is it just not my thing?