ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs With huge game vs. Oakland ahead, here’s why Chiefs’ Berry sat late against Seahawks (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=319885)

T-post Tom 12-26-2018 07:15 PM

With huge game vs. Oakland ahead, here’s why Chiefs’ Berry sat late against Seahawks

With a towel over his head, Eric Berry watched on from the sideline as third-year safety Jordan Lucas took over his spot and played alongside Daniel Sorensen for the Seahawks’ final possession of the Chiefs’ 38-31 loss Sunday.

In Berry’s absence, Seattle completed a couple of deep passes and scored one more time to push the game out of reach.

Down by only four points with four minutes to go when Berry came out, the Chiefs were without their best defensive player for the second week in a row during crucial moments late in the fourth quarter.

After sitting the second half against the Chargers — including during L.A.’s game-winning 2-point conversion — Berry exited Sunday’s game following Seattle’s penultimate drive with 7:31 to play.

“You’ve got to go off of his feeling,” Chiefs coach Andy Reid said. “He hasn’t played in two years. I’m aware of that. I just, I don’t want to take any steps backward and neither does he. So we understand that. With the extended drives, snaps came out funny.

“He had every intention of going into the fourth quarter. It was just so many snaps he can take right now. He’s easing back into it. I have full trust in him. It’s not a matter. If he could’ve gone a half, we would’ve gone a half.”

Berry wound up playing in 69 of 80 defensive snaps Sunday — his highest since playing 70 in the 2017 season-opening win against the Patriots where he suffered the season-ending Achilles injury.

Berry didn’t have a hard cap to his snap limit, and Reid said the communication between the coaching staff and the safety was open throughout the game. It didn’t help that Seattle had possession the edge in time of possession 35:02 to the Chiefs’ 24:58.

“His numbers got up,” Reid said. “He was good right there. That was plenty. Again, just not taking anything back. And getting his legs back.

“There’s a lot to it. Not just that part of the injury, but getting his body back into playing.”

Though the Seahawks ran most plays away from Berry, the veteran had an undeniable influence on the game.

For rookie Charvarius Ward, Berry’s presence had a calming effect.

With Kendall Fuller out and Orlando Scandrick relegated to the sideline, the cornerback was making his first career start on the biggest of stages: Sunday Night Football. Primetime. A chance to clinch the No. 1 seed and home field advantage was on the line.

But for as anxious as he felt, Ward also felt like he was in good hands because Berry was playing with him.

“I was happy he was out there,” Ward said. “I wouldn’t have wanted to be out there if he wasn’t. He helped me out a lot. He’s a coach on the field. He knows all their plays, all their routes. He was telling me all the signals because I didn’t know all the signals and stuff. So he helped out a lot.”

Though Berry was missing from the final minutes of the game, Ward said he felt confident enough in the defensive call to play without Berry. In fact, Ward didn’t notice he was missing.

“I didn’t know he was out, to be honest,” Ward said. “I was focused in on my man. We were running a lot of man, so I was focused in on my man really.”

The Chiefs will wrap up the regular season Sunday afternoon against Oakland with a No. 1 seed and an AFC West title on the line for a third consecutive week. Berry’s limitations for that game aren’t yet known, but he was a full participant in Wednesday’s practice.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article223582415.html

Rain Man 12-26-2018 07:18 PM

Berry's status is now play to play.

pugsnotdrugs19 12-26-2018 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13988711)

Spirit to spirit.

Halfcan 12-26-2018 07:28 PM

69 snaps and no impact plays.

We Quality not Quantity.

T-post Tom 12-26-2018 07:28 PM

Quote:

Is Bob Sutton smart enough to create/understand the algorithm for using EB in conjunction with the game plan and game situation? After 2 close games where the defense failed in the waning minutes....the magic 8 ball says

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/6c/4d/b0/6...agic--ball.jpg

Hog's Gone Fishin 12-26-2018 07:29 PM

It's all good . The playoffs are what matter now and he'll be there.

Chiefaholic 12-26-2018 07:29 PM

Richest cheerleader in the NFL.

BossChief 12-26-2018 07:39 PM

If he can be 100% for the playoffs, that’s all that really matters.

Same with Sammy, Spencer, Kendall and Larry.

FlaChief58 12-26-2018 07:39 PM

Someone needs to kick the shit out of his spirit until it agrees to tell Berry to get his ass in there and earn his paycheck

Chiefaholic 12-26-2018 07:49 PM

He just pulls himself at the most inopportune times. When we REALLY HAVE to HAVE him on the field, he's on the sideline with a damn towel on his head. All I gotta say is if the Bolts are ahead of the Donks, and Berry pulls himself from the game if the game's on the line, I will lose my cool with him.

FloridaMan88 12-26-2018 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-post Tom (Post 13988722)
Is Bob Sutton smart enough to create/understand the algorithm for using EB in conjunction with the game plan and game situation? After 2 close games where the defense failed in the waning minutes....the magic 8 ball says

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/6c/4d/b0/6...agic--ball.jpg

Sutton can’t figure out the correlation between his soft zones easily giving up conversions on 3rd and 5 or 6 and the Chiefs inability to get off the field on defense, which drives up Eric Berry’s snap count.

dlphg9 12-26-2018 07:52 PM

Eh, who cares Berry played almost the whole game and they still sucked and weren't able to stop them. I thought he would be a difference maker, but I was wrong. Too many injuries and shitty cancer ruined a HoF career.

Flying High D 12-26-2018 08:01 PM

Need more spirit updates.

threebag 12-26-2018 08:02 PM

Haglunds 15.6

Berry 1.4

Chief Northman 12-26-2018 08:02 PM

So Ward admits he doesn’t know the signals.

Guys who don’t know the signals on my teams are called “pine riders”. This admission from Ward says all you need to know about coaching/accountability on this team.

threebag 12-26-2018 08:06 PM

https://i.chzbgr.com/full/6560375808/h179AB8ED/

TEX 12-26-2018 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Northman (Post 13988774)

Guys who don’t know the signals on my teams are called “pine riders”. This admission from Ward says all you need to know about coaching/accountability on this team.

This.

Bugeater 12-26-2018 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 13988737)
If he can be 100% for the playoffs, that’s all that really matters.

Same with Sammy, Spencer, Kendall and Larry.

Hold on tight to your dreams.

chinaski 12-26-2018 08:48 PM

There used to be a Liquor store in Raytown called Spirt World, maybe Berry should hit that place up.

JakeF 12-26-2018 09:07 PM

Quote:

Our secondary coaches are all name, no substance.

Berry and the Coaching staff can't figure out how to give Berry a few snaps off early in the game so that he is on the field during the 4th quarter? A combination of incompetence and don't give a shit apparently.

TimeForWasp 12-26-2018 09:09 PM

Quote:

I thought he was talking about signals from the other team.

Frazod 12-26-2018 09:19 PM

Will all due credit to our horrible secondary, from what I saw, Wilson laid several passes in so perfectly that even excellent defenders couldn't have covered them. He was absolutely on fire. And considering how absolutely horrible he looked against the Vikings, it was really ****ing maddening. :banghead:

Bugeater 12-26-2018 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13988873)
Will all due credit to our horrible secondary, from what I saw, Wilson laid several passes in so perfectly that even excellent defenders couldn't have covered them. He was absolutely on fire. And considering how absolutely horrible he looked against the Vikings, it was really ****ing maddening. :banghead:

Yep, that's a point many seem to be missing. Seems like opposing QBs always have their best days against the Chiefs.

Frazod 12-26-2018 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 13988877)
Yep, that's a point many seem to be missing. Seems like opposing QBs always have their best days against the Chiefs.

It was like he wasn't the same guy who suited up against Minnesota. He was overthrowing EVERYBODY. He looked like a Frankenstein mashup of Huard and Cassel that night. That's what I was expecting; not some otherworldly combination of Dan Marino and Hawkeye from Last of the Mohicans.

Red Dawg 12-26-2018 09:27 PM

Berry being a prick. Entire coaching staff should be fired. They have accomplished nothing. Have any of the rookies gotten better?

Chief Roundup 12-26-2018 09:27 PM

If Berry can only play a half then he should play the 2cd half as part of our adjustments.

JakeF 12-26-2018 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 13988886)
If Berry can only play a half then he should play the 2cd half as part of our adjustments.

You are smarter than our coaching staff!!

Frazod 12-26-2018 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 13988898)
You are smarter than our coaching staff!!

My ashtray is smarter than our coaching staff.

Bugeater 12-26-2018 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13988901)
My ashtray is smarter than our coaching staff.

ooh, there's a great idea! Post a picture of something that is smarter than our coaching staff!

https://store.rammfence.com/Images/WP_1.jpg

Frazod 12-26-2018 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 13988906)
ooh, there's a great idea! Post a picture of something that is smarter than our coaching staff!

LMAO I don't know if the intrawebs have the bandwidth for it.

greg63 12-26-2018 11:19 PM

Quote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images...d_400x400.jpeg

T-post Tom 12-26-2018 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13988873)

I agree that Wilson had some good throws. BUT the DBs should know when to play the ball & when to play the receiver. That moonshot that burned Ward on the right sideline is a good example. He should have worked for position to separate the ball from the receiver after the catch. He had no hope of tracking the ball for a pick or deflection.

And the safties are rarely in the right position. They seldom help over the top on deep balls. And they are rarely in position to make a play on the ball in general. That's almost every play. Coaches & players both need to up their game.

Again, Wilson did have a decent outing. He's hard to beat on his homefield.

Ass Rockah 12-26-2018 11:47 PM

Berry looked lost out there against Seattle. I don’t know if he hit up one of our many legal weed shops before kickoff but he looked baked, red blood shot eyes, complete and total collapse in the secondary but as bad as he was it wasn’t nearly as bad as Ward with the pink dreads. Lmfao you won’t win a playoff game with pink dreads on the field.

Otter 12-26-2018 11:51 PM

Can you imagine not working for 2 years but showing up everyday at the office standing around watching your coworkers hit the mats and take hits while you do NOTHING?

This whole situation is bizarre.

Otter 12-26-2018 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ass Rockah (Post 13988986)
Berry looked lost out there against Seattle. I don’t know if he hit up one of our many legal weed shops before kickoff but he looked baked, red blood shot eyes, complete and total collapse in the secondary but as bad as he was it wasn’t nearly as bad as Ward with the pink dreads. Lmfao you won’t win a playoff game with pink dreads on the field.

I thought the exact same thing: "this guy looks like a pothead that should be at a Fish concert".

God bless your spirit berry the fairy!

Chief Northman 12-27-2018 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 13988988)
Can you imagine not working for 2 years but showing up everyday at the office standing around watching your coworkers hit the mats and take hits while you do NOTHING?

Been saying this from the get-go, but don’t speak too loudly or you will get attacked by the “Berry can do no wrong” mafia.

Something is rotten in that locker room.

T-post Tom 12-27-2018 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ass Rockah (Post 13988986)
you won’t win a playoff game with pink dreads on the field.

You can overcome a lackluster defense & pink dreads when you have HFA & the most prolific offense in the NFL. We'll save you a spot on our bandwagon when the Chiefs defeat the Saints in the next Super Bowl. Good news for Hag fans, Wilson's golf game is only going to get better with his extra down time this off-season.

WhiteWhale 12-27-2018 12:30 AM

Quote:

*swish*

philfree 12-27-2018 01:03 AM

This whole process has been confusing but it looks like LDT is coming off IR and we've already gotten Dirty Dan back from IR(for better or worse) and now it seems we'll have EB for the playoffs. Win or lose seems the plan is working out.

Nzoner 12-27-2018 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 13988988)

Somewhat similar to Bob Sanders 2006,and look how that post season played out.

T-post Tom 12-27-2018 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 13989030)
This whole process has been confusing but it looks like LDT is coming off IR and we've already gotten Dirty Dan back from IR(for better or worse) and now it seems we'll have EB for the playoffs. Win or lose seems the plan is working out.

Dirty Dan - The Sixteen Million Dollar Man :(

Ass Rockah 12-27-2018 08:04 AM

Earl Thomas comes back from holdout didn’t even practice and has 3 picks in 3 games. I wonder where he’ll end up next year but I keep hearing KC

htismaqe 12-27-2018 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Northman (Post 13988998)
Been saying this from the get-go, but don’t speak too loudly or you will get attacked by the “Berry can do no wrong” mafia.

Something is rotten in that locker room.

He said the situation is bizarre. You go straight for the locker room having gangrene. ROFL

Ribbs67 12-27-2018 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 13988854)
Our secondary coaches are all name, no substance.

Berry and the Coaching staff can't figure out how to give Berry a few snaps off early in the game so that he is on the field during the 4th quarter? A combination of incompetence and don't give a shit apparently.

THIS!!! 1,000,000 times over. Stupid is as Stupid does! How on Earth can they not figure this out! There is no explanation for their incompetence...used to think it was Sutton's fault, but it's beyond that now. Reid is the HC of this sinking ship. If he can't sound the alarm and get it righted by stepping in and taking control..then he's to blame now. I used to think it was neat that he took Mahomes under his wing and spent so much time coaching him up when he came off the field. In reality he does it so he doesn't have to watch the Defense play either. Utter horseshit! If he refused to do anything..Fat Andy has to go as well with Sutton in the off-season. Simple as that..

htismaqe 12-27-2018 10:10 AM

Fire Andy Reid.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

O.city 12-27-2018 10:16 AM

Once you give him snaps off early, he's going to get cold and stiff and have to warm back up.

They've played the last couple games like preseason game 2 and game 3 for him.

It should be full on every snap now.

Ribbs67 12-27-2018 10:33 AM

Don't get me wrong I like Andy..but damn it's frustrating watching him sit around and look like all he cares about is the offense..even if it's not the case. You can't tell me that public perception isn't just that. Haven't even brought in his obvious ( well documented clock mismanagement skills.) So much talent on this team.( On the offensive side) that I feel he tries to be too cute sometimes..and out coaches himself. Mahomes is best when he uses quick reads and gets the ball out quickly. Last half of the season, he has looked Shakey in the pocket.. indecisive. Sure he's made some amazing plays..he's going to do that. But he's at his best when the ball is out quickly. Andy rarely uses tempo anymore..unless we are down by 2 scores late. Instead Pat is back there running for his life, looking deep for a banged up Reek at 75%. "Fire Andy?" Maybe not...but tell me I'm wrong. His play calling isn't the greatest either in big drive situations...keep laughing...

The Franchise 12-27-2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13989338)
Once you give him snaps off early, he's going to get cold and stiff and have to warm back up.

They've played the last couple games like preseason game 2 and game 3 for him.

It should be full on every snap now.

He'd better play the full Raiders game.

Ribbs67 12-27-2018 10:42 AM

And seriously...the old addage of well if EB takes snaps off he will get cold...is old and played out! Dude is a VERY well paid professional football player?. How in the hell do the special teams guys ever go out for a play and make it back to the sidelines without being carted off? It's a ridiculous argument. Really..if you want to be out there, stay warmed up like everyone else on the damn team does. Be there for your damn team. If he would have / could have made a play in either of those games and had a stop someway? Hell the whole damn team including Maholmes could have rested this last game! ( He's banged up also). Quit covering for the damn guy, that obviously has no heart or spirit that gives a damn!

I've always had his back up until these last few games and hearing his comments afterwards..just a bad look all around.

FlaChief58 12-27-2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ribbs67 (Post 13989313)
THIS!!! 1,000,000 times over. Stupid is as Stupid does! How on Earth can they not figure this out! There is no explanation for their incompetence...used to think it was Sutton's fault, but it's beyond that now. Reid is the HC of this sinking ship. If he can't sound the alarm and get it righted by stepping in and taking control..then he's to blame now. I used to think it was neat that he took Mahomes under his wing and spent so much time coaching him up when he came off the field. In reality he does it so he doesn't have to watch the Defense play either. Utter horseshit! If he refused to do anything..Fat Andy has to go as well with Sutton in the off-season. Simple as that..

This right here is why incest is illegal

Ribbs67 12-27-2018 11:23 AM

Damn bro..u really know how to hurt a guy...lol

Ribbs67 12-27-2018 11:32 AM

I don't want Andy fired..but I would like him to step up and do something about the defensive situation. If you can't or don't want to do anything about his good friend Bob Sutton..then at least manage situations better that he can control. That's all I was saying. He's the HC. This has fallen on him now unfortunately because his DC is failing him. Sutton has to go..and I hope he doesn't take this season and team down with him.

Ribbs67 12-27-2018 11:43 AM

I'm tired of feeling the way I do about this team. I've become bipolar. Happy go lucky and giggling like a school girl watching the offense. Then while watching the defense..I have terrets..and cuss like a sailor. The rollercoaster ride is almost unbearable at times. I've said what I've felt like I needed to say. From now on I'm going to try and be more positive.. because this is truly ruining the game experience for me. I love this team, and when my team's lose, it affects me( like I think it does you guys all weekend sadly). Looking forward to this game this weekend.and I hope we win this one going away. Go Chiefs!

BossChief 12-27-2018 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pest (Post 13989408)
He'd better play the full Raiders game.

Depends on the score.

ptlyon 12-27-2018 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 13989523)
Depends on the score.

Yeah, if we're up 14 going into the last five minutes of the game, we should be fine.

ARROW2 12-27-2018 12:10 PM

So much bitching and whining for the 1 seed for only the second time in chiefs history. Damn, enjoy the shit and this time we have a franchise qb.

ptlyon 12-27-2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARROW2 (Post 13989541)
So much bitching and whining for the 1 seed for only the second time in chiefs history. Damn, enjoy the shit and this time we have a franchise qb.

I'm trying man. I'm trying real, Damn, hard.

MahiMike 12-27-2018 12:14 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CyBcHUe4WeQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bugeater 12-27-2018 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARROW2 (Post 13989541)

3rd time. KC was 1 seed in both 95 & 97.

R Clark 12-27-2018 12:18 PM

They ain't 1 seed yet. 2 game skid hell ya panic is real

Bugeater 12-27-2018 12:28 PM

Oh, and that too.

Ribbs67 12-27-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 13989525)
Yeah, if we're up 14 going into the last five minutes of the game, we should be fine.

Just checking..this isn't sarcasm....right.. :hmmm:

ptlyon 12-27-2018 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ribbs67 (Post 13989590)
Just checking..this isn't sarcasm....right.. :hmmm:

What do you think

Ribbs67 12-27-2018 01:41 PM

I think that since I'm staying positive...that we will be fine.... ( As long as Sutton slips on some Ice coming into the stadium..and throws a hip...

Bugeater 12-27-2018 01:44 PM

I think ptlyon thinks we're doomed.

Frazod 12-27-2018 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 13989550)
3rd time. KC was 1 seed in both 95 & 97.

At least we won't be 13-3 this time.

GloryDayz 12-27-2018 03:07 PM

Quote:

[IMG]
http://s0.thejournal.ie/media/2013/07/head-dent-630x421.jpg[/IMG]

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...99_224x423.jpg

https://crackedratedg.files.wordpres...picture-77.png

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.9...XQHaFj&pid=Api

ARROW2 12-27-2018 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13989660)
At least we won't be 13-3 this time.

I.believe 97 was a 2 seed but will.look it up

ARROW2 12-27-2018 04:49 PM

Had to take a couple for the league....er I mean team

ARROW2 12-27-2018 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARROW2 (Post 13989872)
I.believe 97 was a 2 seed but will.look it up

You are corredt, third time. It's the charm...

OnTheWarpath15 12-27-2018 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 13989525)

:clap:

Flying High D 12-27-2018 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ribbs67 (Post 13989409)
And seriously...the old addage of well if EB takes snaps off he will get cold...is old and played out! Dude is a VERY well paid professional football player?. How in the hell do the special teams guys ever go out for a play and make it back to the sidelines without being carted off? It's a ridiculous argument. Really..if you want to be out there, stay warmed up like everyone else on the damn team does. Be there for your damn team. If he would have / could have made a play in either of those games and had a stop someway? Hell the whole damn team including Maholmes could have rested this last game! ( He's banged up also). Quit covering for the damn guy, that obviously has no heart or spirit that gives a damn!

I've always had his back up until these last few games and hearing his comments afterwards..just a bad look all around.

Somebody just told CP how the cow ate the cabbage.