ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Fireplace and chimney - value vs function (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=321232)

007 02-09-2019 03:41 PM

Fireplace and chimney - value vs function

We have recently renovated our family room (thanks Bugeater) and exposed our fireplace that had been blocked by our entertainment center. Now the cold air that radiates off it has caused our room to be 2 degrees colder. Out of curiosity, I checked the temp at the base of the fireplace and its 54 degrees.

So now I'm debating what makes more sense. Remove it or renovate it so this is less of an issue. Not sure I can afford either option right now but curious what others have done in similar situations.

Rain Man 02-09-2019 04:08 PM

Is it just radiant temperature change through the bricks or stones or whatever, or is it a draft through the flue?

007 02-09-2019 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14099132)
Is it just radiant temperature change through the bricks or stones or whatever, or is it a draft through the flue?

The fireplace opening is completely boarded up. We haven't used this since 2004. I feel this is all radiant.

Mennonite 02-09-2019 04:19 PM

Was your "entertainment center" a giant ball of insulation by any chance?

Rain Man 02-09-2019 04:19 PM

It seems like there's nothing that can fix radiant problems other than to put something in front of it (inside or outside) that would slow it down. But the flow would be based on distance, so I wonder if a fair amount of it is cold air in the flue, since that has a shorter distance to travel.

We had a water line that would freeze in our house whenever the temperature got below zero, and we couldn't figure it out. We assumed it was on an exterior wall, which seemed really wrong. Eventually we mentioned it to a contractor doing another project, and he figured it out. The line was inside an interior wall, but it ran next to a vent pipe that went up and out the roof. In subzero weather, the cold air inside that vent pipe was cold enough that it would freeze the water line that was running parallel an inch or two away from it.

So I bet your flue is part of the problem. If you don't use it, can you put a hard cap on the top of it? Edit: or blow it full of foam insulation or something nonflammable so a cap doesn't kill the next owner.

displacedinMN 02-09-2019 04:23 PM

In our old house we did a gas insert. Best move!!! Warm when we needed it. Off when we were done.

TrebMaxx 02-09-2019 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 14099154)
In our old house we did a gas insert. Best move!!! Warm when we needed it. Off when we were done.

This!

007 02-09-2019 04:42 PM

Quote:

It's already equipped for gas. We sealed the front of the fireplace but didn't put a hard cap on the chimney. This thing was even worse before I boarded it up. The brick chimney runs from the ground to the roof which doesn't help.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b02272f8e4.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...54940cbc7e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4dbf248f03.jpg

O.city 02-09-2019 04:48 PM

I’ve got a gas one upstairs in the kitchen eating area that we rarely use but a real wood one in the basement that I’ve been using a lot lately.

I’m just a fan of the real wood heat and smell but it is kind of a pain to have to clean and such

notorious 02-09-2019 04:57 PM

There is a TON of thermal transfer. The great thing about brick is it retains heat.....but it also retains cold.

All you have between you and the outside is a layer of sheetrock and a mass of chilled brick.

Bwana 02-09-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Yeah I have a wood insert with a blower that is great on the coldest winter nights.

Today's high was 0 and there is a nasty wind chill on top of that. I should have it going now.

Rain Man 02-09-2019 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14099196)
I’ve got a gas one upstairs in the kitchen eating area that we rarely use but a real wood one in the basement that I’ve been using a lot lately.

I’m just a fan of the real wood heat and smell but it is kind of a pain to have to clean and such

My house in high school had a wood stove in the basement, and it somehow became my job to get/keep the fire going after I got home from school. It was a major pain in the ash.

I got home from school around 3:30 and went to work around 4:30, and my mom got home around 5:00. They wanted it roaring by the time she got home. If the fire was still going it wasn't terrible - just put some more wood in it and stir it around. But if the fire had gone out, which was a 50/50 proposition, I'd spend half an hour messing with it, which was generally my only free time of the day. Having a wood stove is a great way to get your teenage kid to move out of the house if you want to launch them.

Rain Man 02-09-2019 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 14099208)
There is a TON of thermal transfer. The great thing about brick is it retains heat.....but it also retains cold.

All you have between you and the outside is a layer of sheetrock and a mass of chilled brick.

Our house is brick, and I've noticed over the years that it's nice in a place like Denver, where the nighttime temperature drops a lot. I think it keeps the house at a more even temperature in the summer. But if you have a week where it's 100 degrees, then it eventually turns into a kiln.

007 02-09-2019 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 14099208)

Kind of what I thought. Basically an icebox on my wall. The flu needs repaired as well but I've ignored that since we don't use it. Wish I could just tear it all off but that costs about a much as repairing it.

frozenchief 02-09-2019 05:07 PM

We have a wood stove that we use when it gets cold. Really helps. The 7.0 earthquake in November, though, cracked our chimney and so now we have to wait till summer to repair because mortar repairs need the chimney to be 45 degrees for 48 hours in a row.

We’ve really enjoyed our wood stoves. They really warm up the house. I’d find a way to make yours functional but that’s just me.

O.city 02-09-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14099214)
My house in high school had a wood stove in the basement, and it somehow became my job to get/keep the fire going after I got home from school. It was a major pain in the ash.

I got home from school around 3:30 and went to work around 4:30, and my mom got home around 5:00. They wanted it roaring by the time she got home. If the fire was still going it wasn't terrible - just put some more wood in it and stir it around. But if the fire had gone out, which was a 50/50 proposition, I'd spend half an hour messing with it, which was generally my only free time of the day. Having a wood stove is a great way to get your teenage kid to move out of the house if you want to launch them.

Yeah they’re a pain

We just use ours randomly in the basement. If we’re okaying poker or something down there I’ll fire it up or if we’re gonna watch a football game or something

I’d like to use it more as it’ll heat up the basement like a champ and save me some propane

Rain Man 02-09-2019 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14099230)
Yeah they’re a pain

We just use ours randomly in the basement. If we’re okaying poker or something down there I’ll fire it up or if we’re gonna watch a football game or something

I’d like to use it more as it’ll heat up the basement like a champ and save me some propane

I did a study of heating fuels once for a client. If you can get off propane, it's worth a lot of money to you. Propane was way more expensive than gas or even electric heat.

O.city 02-09-2019 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14099243)
I did a study of heating fuels once for a client. If you can get off propane, it's worth a lot of money to you. Propane was way more expensive than gas or even electric heat.

I really wish I could get natural gas ran up here but not likely unless I hit the powerball

oldman 02-10-2019 10:49 AM

I'd bet part of that is cold air coming down the chimney. Since cold air is heavier than warm, it'll just sit there until it's warmed. I'd go with an insert. My folks had one and it came in handy more than once when the power went out.

007 02-10-2019 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 14100033)
I'd bet part of that is cold air coming down the chimney. Since cold air is heavier than warm, it'll just sit there until it's warmed. I'd go with an insert. My folks had one and it came in handy more than once when the power went out.

I assume you mean a had insert. Could you link a few. I've only seen what is available at local big box stores and don't really like how they look.

Also, doyesnt an insert still need the chimney? How does that stop the cold air?

Sorry for stupid questions but I really don't know shit about this stuff.

displacedinMN 02-10-2019 11:22 AM

They will put insulation around areas so cold air does not come in. Put a cap on the top of the chimney. Our guy wanted to take insulation out of the garage. I said no, so he had to get some at home depot.

There has to be someone around that specializes in this-that is not Lowes, HD, etc.

Mine was a Heat-n-Glo. Here is the website for the retail company in Maple Grove, MN
http://www.fireside.com/browse/inserts

JakeF 02-10-2019 11:43 AM

Most of them are garbage, let heat out as much as they heat the room. Get one with a door and a blower.

Randallflagg 02-10-2019 11:46 AM

We put a set of "ventless" gas logs into our former wood burner fireplace - closed the flue and it works like a charm....it usually got fairly cold with nothing burning in it - but these logs seem to do the trick. The flue stays closed and I filled up the ash clean out with a BUNCH of insulation - problem solved.

Yehoodi 02-10-2019 10:12 PM

We got an insert with a blower and it really heats the room. We did not use it this year. We put a piece of flat metal in place of the damper and cut a hole in it and feed the flue pipe coming out of the stove.

The blower really helps as it basically blows the air over/though the cast iron stove and into the room.

Bugeater 02-10-2019 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14100074)
I assume you mean a had insert. Could you link a few. I've only seen what is available at local big box stores and don't really like how they look.

Also, doyesnt an insert still need the chimney? How does that stop the cold air?

Sorry for stupid questions but I really don't know shit about this stuff.

No, a gas log doesn't use the chimney. It's vented out of the back.

This is what it would look like:

http://seodersleri.club/wp-content/u...-fireplace.jpg

007 02-11-2019 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 14100801)
No, a gas log doesn't use the chimney. It's vented out of the back.

This is what it would look like:

http://seodersleri.club/wp-content/u...-fireplace.jpg

Except I have no access out of the back without breaking bricks.

Bugeater 02-11-2019 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14100812)
Except I have no access out of the back without breaking bricks.

Don't you have a sledgehammer?

Renegade 02-11-2019 06:17 AM

Just get a ventless gas fireplace. That is what I built into my house.

displacedinMN 02-11-2019 06:51 AM

Our new house comes out the side like what bugeater shows.

The old house was vented out the top of the chimney-then capped.

luv 02-11-2019 08:29 AM

Not sure exactly how they work, but, since my dad isn't a fan of fireplaces, he put in pellet stoves both in living room and basement. It was great during the ice storm when we were without electricity for a week. He plugged one into the generator, so we had heat.

007 02-11-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comanche (Post 14100876)
I have always owned a FP my entire life and would not have a house without one. That said, I am NOT an "expert" FP technician . My following advice is provided with that disclosure in case your house burns down. Please contact a professional prior to making changes.

1. You are so lucky to have a fireplace/chimney! Some people would kill to have one!

2. You mentioned that the temp at the BASE of the FP is 54 degrees. If the problem was simply "radiant", coming through the brick chimney, it should be cold up higher as well as below. Most FPs have a metal box and possibly a metal flue liner that should also provide more insulation separation from the outside bricks. Some FPs have "fire brick" in the box that are more dense than other brick.

3. You said that the problem was better when your entertainment center was blocking the FP. That also seems to indicate that the problem is with the FP opening itself and NOT "radiant" cold from the outside bricks. Have you checked to see if you have a FP damper? This helps to close off the chimney opening going through the roof. You mentioned that the FP had been converted to gas, perhaps they removed the damper when the conversion took place?

4. A leaky or missing fireplace damper can cost as much as several hundred dollars of heat loss right up your chimney. Also, the damper can be manually opened and closed depending upon your needs at any given time.

5. If your entertainment center helped insulate the area, why don't you purchase a glass FP cover for the opening? Some of them are very attractive, have doors that open/close, and can serve the same purpose the entertainment center provided. You can even buy one that has very dark, smoky glass that hides anything behind it (except the fire light). Lose the plywood cover.

6. If it has been converted to gas already, why aren't you using it? Gas fake log fire inserts don't cost very much depending on the quality and they are very nice in the winter. They also provide a nice ambiance during other parts of the year. Alternatively, perhaps you could go back with using wood. Cleaning the ash isn't such a big problem as some have said.

7. I have always owed a wood burning fireplace and I have never experienced the issues you have described.

7. Gas or wood, install a carbon monoxide and smoke detector.

Long post. Short answers.

It wasn't converted. It was gas and wood from day one when the house was built based on house plans.

It has a damper but didn't stop cold air in the winter. That's why I put up the plywood. Only way to stop it.

I posted pictures earlier in the thread so you can see the current setup.

It also had glass doors that did nothing to stop the cold either. The other reason I opted for the plywood.

Now it's exposed so I need to do something to solve all the issues. I'm never going to burn wood so gas or electric are my only options.

007 02-11-2019 03:59 PM

Just got off the phone with a local fireplace dealer. They were talking about $7000 units. **** that.

I just need something that fills the hole and at least looks presentable. I don't even care if it heats.

Yeah yeah. Get your mind or if the gutter.

Bugeater 02-11-2019 05:24 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZY3J3Y_OU0w" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

007 02-11-2019 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 14102028)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZY3J3Y_OU0w" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

New TV would be cheaper lol

O.city 02-11-2019 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14101911)
Just got off the phone with a local fireplace dealer. They were talking about $7000 units. **** that.

I just need something that fills the hole and at least looks presentable. I don't even care if it heats.

Yeah yeah. Get your mind or if the gutter.

Do you have any friends or know anyone in construction? They may be able to help you out a lot cheaper

007 02-11-2019 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14102563)
Do you have any friends or know anyone in construction? They may be able to help you out a lot cheaper

I do but he's busy with other more important things right now. :D

Bugeater 02-12-2019 12:55 AM

Yeah like posting on Chiefsplanet.com

Otter 02-12-2019 05:35 AM

Have you considered starting and maintaining a fire in the fireplace to offset the radiant cold until March rolls in?

007 02-12-2019 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 14102716)
Have you considered starting and maintaining a fire in the fireplace to offset the radiant cold until March rolls in?

I've lived in three homes with fireplaces and never used any of them. None have given me this issue.

To answer your question, no. I really have no desire to put an open flame in my house. I know your comment was in jest but decided to take it seriously anyway. :) I really don't even like having the gas line next to the fireplace. Its amazing after all these years, none of my kids ever turned it to release the gas. Probably the one thing they never defied my instructions on. LMAO

Skyy God 02-12-2019 08:25 AM

I had a chimney knocked out when I redid my roof.

It had (at one time) served as the vent for the hot water heater. Seems like serious overkill, but they did build the shit out of old houses.

Fish 02-12-2019 08:30 AM

Might have to just burn the house down and start over...

Infidel Goat 02-12-2019 08:56 AM

I used the cardboard from one of my daughter's science fair experiment.

I taped it inside the base of the fireplace just above the glass exposure so that nobody can see it, and it actually made a lot of difference in our room at virtually no cost. :shrug:

htismaqe 02-12-2019 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14102722)
I've lived in three homes with fireplaces and never used any of them. None have given me this issue.

To answer your question, no. I really have no desire to put an open flame in my house. I know your comment was in jest but decided to take it seriously anyway. :) I really don't even like having the gas line next to the fireplace. Its amazing after all these years, none of my kids ever turned it to release the gas. Probably the one thing they never defied my instructions on. LMAO

If the gas line is right there, why not put a gas fireplace insert in?

We have one and it saves our bacon when the power goes out. It can easily heat half the house (or more with fans).

A Salt Weapon 02-12-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14099243)

I basically do heating comparisons for a living, now granted up here is different and Nat Gas isn’t an option in my city. Oil is the most common, but between oil, electric, and propane propane is considerably the better option if the person can afford the upfront cost to upgrade. New construction it’s not even close.
You can’t beat gas, 96% efficient and little to no maintenance costs.
I sell a lot of gas fireplaces too, it’s the least efficient way to burn gas but people like the aesthetics of them.

007 02-12-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14102924)
If the gas line is right there, why not put a gas fireplace insert in?

We have one and it saves our bacon when the power goes out. It can easily heat half the house (or more with fans).

It already had a gas log in it. Heat just went straight up the chimney. Barely warmed the room at all when we tried it. Saw no point even using it at that point.

I'm only going to do gas or electric once we remove that plywood so whatever we get has to blow heat into the room.

Rain Man 02-12-2019 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14102820)

The heat would just go out the roof.

007 02-12-2019 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 14102820)

Then I could fix some of bullshit they did when they built the place

Bugeater 02-12-2019 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14103593)
Then I could fix some of bullshit they did when they built the place

Uhhh...no. The time to do that would have been before I did all that work to the room.

Don't EVEN think about that now...:grr:

007 02-12-2019 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 14103647)
Uhhh...no. The time to do that would have been before I did all that work to the room.

Don't EVEN think about that now...:grr:

No you couldn't. I'm taking about the dumbass vent system they did.

RetiredSeniorChief 02-12-2019 06:22 PM

It's cold air coming down the chimney (Cold air sinks). Just stuff some insulation up there out of sight or cut a piece of blue board or both. Just remove if you choose to use the chimney in the future or sell the house.

007 02-12-2019 06:29 PM

Is anyone using a ventless gas insert. Is there much of a lingering smell when using it.

Edit

Eh. Think I'll keep it simple and just get an electric.

Wonder of I have to get the gas line removed or not.

Bob Dole 02-12-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetiredSeniorChief (Post 14103710)
It's cold air coming down the chimney (Cold air sinks). Just stuff some insulation up there out of sight or cut a piece of blue board or both. Just remove if you choose to use the chimney in the future or sell the house.

Or close the flu.

If you have a ready source of wood, you can heat a fairly large house all winter with a good insert with fans. Like a Buckstove.

TrebMaxx 02-12-2019 06:36 PM

Do you have a ash box on the outside of the chimney? If you do have one you can go either way, vented or vent less. The vent can go through the ash box. I only know about a vented system and it worked very well.

007 02-12-2019 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrebMaxx (Post 14103743)
Do you have a ash box on the outside of the chimney? If you do have one you can go either way, vented or vent less. The vent can go through the ash box. I only know about a vented system and it worked very well.

Nope. Dumbasses didn't build one into it.

LiveSteam 02-12-2019 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 14100879)
Not sure exactly how they work, but, since my dad isn't a fan of fireplaces, he put in pellet stoves both in living room and basement. It was great during the ice storm when we were without electricity for a week. He plugged one into the generator, so we had heat.

They are nice.. John Deer had few made and sold them.
Friend that works for JD brought one home for his unheated machine shop. Takes about a half hour. But it warms that old half barn, half chicken coup, turned into a machine shop, right up.

LiveSteam 02-12-2019 07:06 PM

Interested in a electric fireplace?
I can fix it.. My dads a TV repair man. He's got ultimate set of tools..

Bugeater 02-12-2019 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 14103777)
Interested in a electric fireplace?
I can fix it.. My dads a TV repair man. He's got ultimate set of tools..

You need to take those ultimate tools and your ass down to Topeka to fix the brick on his chimney.

BWillie 02-12-2019 09:32 PM

I'd rather have a home that didn't even have a fireplace. Who uses them anymore. They are just a pain in the ass and you have to clean them and repoint them if you use them. Dumb. Doesn't really save you any money either.

A Salt Weapon 02-12-2019 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14103926)
I'd rather have a home that didn't even have a fireplace. Who uses them anymore. They are just a pain in the ass and you have to clean them and repoint them if you use them. Dumb. Doesn't really save you any money either.

It’s fun to roast marshmallows with the kids inside.
Also doubles as a very effective attitude adjuster during Christmas time. Wrap some empty boxes and place them under the tree before Christmas. Every time a kid acts up throw one of the “presents” into the fireplace. Attitude changes real quick after that.

LiveSteam 02-12-2019 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 14103789)
You need to take those ultimate tools and your ass down to Topeka to fix the brick on his chimney.

We can do that this spring.

LiveSteam 02-12-2019 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14103926)

Absolute 100% nonsense..
I can heat my entire split entry ranch home with my wood burning stove in the basement.
It does make the basement uncomfortable and to warm to hangout in.
I wouldn't own a home in the upper midwest,without some type of fireplace to heat my home, if all else fails.. Upper Midwest and East coasts are cold mother ****ers in the winter time.

007 02-12-2019 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 14103995)
Absolute 100% nonsense..
I can heat my entire split entry ranch home with my wood burning stove in the basement.
It does make the basement uncomfortable and to warm to hangout in.
I wouldn't own a home in the upper midwest,without some type of fireplace to heat my home, if all else fails.. Upper Midwest and East coasts are cold mother ****ers in the winter time.

wood burning stoves are awesome. Fireplaces are more or less just to look pretty.

RetiredSeniorChief 02-12-2019 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14104003)
wood burning stoves are awesome. Fireplaces are more or less just to look pretty.

I have a Lopi woodstove but I only use it when it is single digits or lower to keep my gas bill stable as it will get too hot in the house otherwise. The thing heats 2500 sq ft no problem and we only have birch and spruce up here. They are good to have in the event of a power outage or furnace failure. Once you get the modern ones up to temp there's hardly any smoke and ash is minimal and the ash is a good addition to garden compost. It also has a cooktop if you are a prepper type.

LiveSteam 02-13-2019 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14104003)

They will keep you and the family from freezing to death.

LiveSteam 02-13-2019 12:09 AM

https://www.northlineexpress.com/fir...kaAtAOEALw_wcB

007 02-13-2019 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiveSteam (Post 14104056)

Looking into those electric movable fireplace mantles right now.

LiveSteam 02-13-2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14104125)
Looking into those electric movable fireplace mantles right now.

I have one for sale. Gonna try and send pics and info to your Facebook message thing. If it doesn't work? Bugs has pics and info he can send you. $300.00 is what the man is asking for it. New and never used

WhiteWhale 02-13-2019 06:42 PM

I have something that slides and covers the flute when I'm not using it.

But I have a wood burning stove.

My carbon footprint is yuuuuuge. I don't pay much to heat my house.

highBOLTage 02-13-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 14105341)
I have something that slides and covers the flute when I'm not using it.

But I have a wood burning stove.

My carbon footprint is yuuuuuge. I don't pay much to heat my house.

Burning wood is carbon neutral. And if you are burning dry wood in an epa stove, you are pretty much smoke-free. I burn pretty much 24/7 through winter as primary heat.

Great Expectations 02-13-2019 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007 (Post 14103726)
Is anyone using a ventless gas insert. Is there much of a lingering smell when using it.

Edit

Eh. Think I'll keep it simple and just get an electric.

Wonder of I have to get the gas line removed or not.

Very, very slight smell. Most of the smell is just after you get it going.