ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chris Jones pending [contract] situation (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=327107)

O.city 12-04-2019 10:05 AM

Chris Jones pending [contract] situation

OK, so I was in the camp earlier in the season (right or wrong) that he was a great pass rusher inside but struggled against the run inside.

Yeah, I was wrong.

He's improved on that a lot this year, he's a complete all around player. He dominated Gabe Jackson and company inside against Oakland. That's not easy. He was splitting doubles, making dudes look foolish.

You've gotta keep that guy around. He's a top 10 defensive player in the league at this point, it's tough to let those guys walk.

What is everything thinking now?

Chiefspants 12-04-2019 10:07 AM

It's important to point out that the "top ten" argument was said about Houston and Berry.

Halfcan 12-04-2019 10:10 AM

Sign him to a long term deal. Pay him what is due. Give the guy his cheddar. Make him a Chief for life. Jones and the Chiefs forever!

arrwheader 12-04-2019 10:11 AM

yea he's great but we gotta pay mahomes and also still field a team so don't think he is sticking around if he's asking aaron donald cash.

Buehler445 12-04-2019 10:11 AM

My opinion is the same as it’s been. If he’ll take less-than-Donald money I’m in. Probably tag and trade otherwise. I do think his attitude given his contract situation and his flexibility moving to the outside has made him more valuable to us. I just can’t get him to Donald money if I’m pulling the trigger.

In hindsight, I wish we just would have given him Frank Clark’s money and found a JAG at DE. Because MOTHER ****ER.

ToxSocks 12-04-2019 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 14633332)
It's important to point out that the "top ten" argument was said about Houston and Berry.

It was said about Kelce and Hill too.

Stop being so damn afraid of contracts.

My thinking is the same as it's ever been. Blue chip players make big plays in big games and that's why you pay to keep them.

You don't build rosters around JAG's, you build them around difference makers.

-King- 12-04-2019 10:15 AM

Whew....by the title I thought he got in some trouble off the field or something.

pugsnotdrugs19 12-04-2019 10:17 AM

I’m torn as **** on this one.

I’ll wait and see the rest of the season, that’s where he will make his money (or not).

Pablo 12-04-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 14633349)
Whew....by the title I thought he got in some trouble off the field or something.

No shit. That title sucks all the dicks. Put me into a little panic.

Mike in SW-MO 12-04-2019 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 14633349)

Because... Chiefs.

We are preconditioned to that response.

pugsnotdrugs19 12-04-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 14633345)

This is definitely the reason you keep him, if you do.

You look at a game like Oakland this past week, why are we beating them so handily? I don’t think the gap is THAT big in terms of coaching, but we definitely have the edge.

The big key is difference making talent. Oakland doesn’t have enough yet to compete with Kansas City. Most teams don’t.

Then there’s the flip side of the argument, which regardless of which example people want to use (Berry, Houston, Clark to some degree here early), all revolves around injuries. If Jones starts to break down physically, we’ll be in a damn tough spot.

Hammock Parties 12-04-2019 10:21 AM

the fact he's playing DE now too adds to his value

if he goes the rest of the year without getting nicked you have to sign him

RunKC 12-04-2019 10:27 AM

Quote:

My thinking is the same as it's ever been. Blue chip players make big plays in big games and that's why you pay to keep them.

Difference makers like Eric Berry, Justin Houston and now Frank Clark. Oh and how about Sammy Watkins?

Putting a shit ton of your capital into one entity, especially when you have a $200 million QB, is not exactly smart stuff.

Most of our playmakers have been cheap players or rookies.

ptlyon 12-04-2019 10:28 AM

The only pending situation for Chris Jones is how many times he makes Brady scream like a little girl on Sunday

kcjayhawks5 12-04-2019 10:31 AM

I would tag and trade him. He had a great year last year but this year he’s just another guy and he doesn’t impact the games like a guy that is wanting to get paid like Aaron Donald.

DaFace 12-04-2019 10:35 AM

Do I want to keep him? Absolutely. I just don't think we can justify it given the upcoming contracts that are going to need to be paid.

Chicago is a lesson that one player cannot a championship make.

staylor26 12-04-2019 10:35 AM

This ****ing thread title gave me instant anxiety thanks a lot O.City

:cuss:

KChiefs1 12-04-2019 10:36 AM

Frank Clark him.

BlackHelicopters 12-04-2019 10:36 AM

Don’t overpay this under achieving clown.

Tribal Warfare 12-04-2019 10:36 AM

Depends if KC can get premium draft picks en masse then I'm in favor of tagging and trading Chris Jones.

Positional value has changed for this team since PMII isn't as durable as we hoped.

improving the OL and RB positions supercedes the defensive holes in the LB and CB corps.

It's all about protecting Mahomes to ensure a legitimate 10-15 year SB window.

staylor26 12-04-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackHelicopters (Post 14633386)
Don’t overpay this under achieving clown.

What a stupid ****ing take. Underachieving? :facepalm:

Dude has 21.5 sacks in the last 2 years (25 games). If that’s “underachieving” I’d love to see what him overachieving would look like.

Marcellus 12-04-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14633379)
Do I want to keep him? Absolutely. I just don't think we can justify it given the upcoming contracts that are going to need to be paid.

Im in this camp. I want to keep him but if he plans to absolutely break the bank then nope. Tag and trade baby, tag and trade.

Hoover 12-04-2019 10:41 AM

For me it all depends.

I love the guy, and think he's great, but there are two factors. One, what's the cost to keep him. Two, what can I get for him.

Just the way the Chiefs are constructed (meaning cap situation) I'm more willing to shop him, especially if I can get a first round pick and another mid round pick. Those picks not only help fill immediate holes on the roster (Oline, LB, CB, RB, and TE) but they help manage the cap and keep the roster young.

So while I'd love to keep Chris Jones, I think the team would be better after a draft that contains two first rounders at key positions.

BlackHelicopters 12-04-2019 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14633391)
What a stupid ****ing take. Underachieving? :facepalm:

Dude has 21.5 sacks in the last 2 years (25 games). If that’s “underachieving” I’d love to see what him overachieving would look like.

No need to use obscenities when referencing my opinion.

-King- 12-04-2019 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14633379)

Well sure, but the problem wasn't him. The problem was the QB they chose. If they had Mahomes and Mack, they'd have a championship. So that's not really an apples to apples comparison

lawrenceRaider 12-04-2019 10:44 AM

As an FYI, both Gabe Jackson and Rodney Hudson are basically playing on one leg, so I wouldn't make much of a performance against them last time out.

staylor26 12-04-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackHelicopters (Post 14633406)
No need to use obscenities when referencing my opinion.

It was probably the dumbest take on CP that I’ve seen all season and that says a lot. Congrats?

staylor26 12-04-2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 14633410)
As an FYI, both Gabe Jackson and Rodney Hudson are basically playing on one leg, so I wouldn't make much of a performance against them last time out.

Lol “one leg” yea sure buddy LMAO

O.city 12-04-2019 10:47 AM

If you can get a Frank Clark haul from the trade, I would explore it.

Problem with that is where will the picks be. If a team like Miami would trade one of their firsts or something for him, yeah, lets do that.

I'm just not high on letting drafted, developed players walk. I realize sometimes you have to, but damn, that's ideally what you want and now you wanna let him go.

The Frank Clark deal just kills you.

Hydrae 12-04-2019 10:54 AM

With the seeming break out by Nnadi and Saunders he is more expendable. If we can resign Ogbah I would be fine with a tag and trade deal for Jones.

O.city 12-04-2019 10:56 AM

The smart thing is probably the tag and trade and use those resources to build a younger cheaper defense.

But you have to hit on those picks.

Halfcan 12-04-2019 10:56 AM

Donald

Last 3 Games: 7 Combined Tackles 3 Sacks

Year: 38 Combined Tackles 9.5 Sacks

Jones

Last 3 games: 13 Combined tackles 3 Sacks

Year: 27 Combined Tackles 6 Sacks

Jones has 19 Pass Deflections in his Career.

Halfcan 12-04-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 14633410)

How about the first game where you had 1 good drive and sucked ass the rest of the game- does that count?

notorious 12-04-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 14633371)
The only pending situation for Chris Jones is how many times he makes QBs scream like a little girl in the playoffs

fyp

RunKC 12-04-2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14633425)
If you can get a Frank Clark haul from the trade, I would explore it.

Problem with that is where will the picks be. If a team like Miami would trade one of their firsts or something for him, yeah, lets do that.

I'm just not high on letting drafted, developed players walk. I realize sometimes you have to, but damn, that's ideally what you want and now you wanna let him go.

The Frank Clark deal just kills you.

Frank Clark is part of a larger, more developed problem this franchise has had for several years. The Chiefs have paid huge money to players on long deals and it has killed them. The risk is just way too large.

We were killed by the Justin Houston deal, then the Tamba Hali deal, then the Eric Berry deal and now the Frank Clark deal. Stop making that mistake.

I would also add just how good of a job Daley has done with this DL. Take out Frank Clark and Chris Jones. Now ask yourself what the other guys like Saunders, Nandi, Ogbah and Tanoh have done? Looks like Daley has coached these guys up quite a bit.

Ward is a FA after next year and deserves a deal. You can likely get Ogbah back at a far cheaper price than Jones. I’d sign them and also another player with the remaining $$ instead of paying Jones Frank Clark money.

O.city 12-04-2019 11:02 AM

If you're worried about big deals though, I'm not sure you can not do that.

The QB they wanna give the biggest deal ever has been pretty injury prone, are we supposed to be worried about that?

Bad luck just sucks sometimes.

DaFace 12-04-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 14633407)
Well sure, but the problem wasn't him. The problem was the QB they chose. If they had Mahomes and Mack, they'd have a championship. So that's not really an apples to apples comparison

Yeah, fair point. Still, I just don't think Jones is the difference between getting there and not. I'd rather spend a little money on upgrading the LBs and OL rather than paying Jones a massive amount on a line that has some nice developing talent.

O.city 12-04-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14633474)
Yeah, fair point. Still, I just don't think Jones is the difference between getting there and not. I'd rather spend a little money on upgrading the LBs and OL rather than paying Jones a massive amount on a line that has some nice developing talent.

There's definitely a line of thinking that today's best defenses are about having 11 guys that are good players. Not great per say, but just good solid players everywhere.

Instead of the stars and somewhat scrubs model that is.

Red Dawg 12-04-2019 11:13 AM

We have already have one 20 mil guy on the DL. We can't afford two. One of them is history.

chiefforlife 12-04-2019 11:16 AM

I dont want to turn this into another "Frank Clark sucks" thread (because he doesn't) but I sure would have rather given his money to our own home grown Chris Jones.
Now we are in a position where we probably cant pay both and it appears that CJ is the better player of the two.
I like Clark and believe he has helped our D improve but I do not like the overall cost associated with acquiring him. If it ends up costing us Chris Jones it only makes Franks deal even worse for the Chiefs.
I really hope we can find a way to keep CJ.

ToxSocks 12-04-2019 11:17 AM

Give me a SB win this year and idgaf what they do with Chris Jones in 2020.

Red Dawg 12-04-2019 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 14633497)
Give me a SB win this year and idgaf what they do with Chris Jones in 2020.

Totally agree.

smithandrew051 12-04-2019 11:26 AM

Tag him. Listen to offers. Trade if blown away by an offer.

Extend him if you aren’t blown away by an offer.

I don’t think we should be married to any player except Mahomes. Everyone else is available for the correct compensation.

lawrenceRaider 12-04-2019 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14633420)
Lol “one leg” yea sure buddy LMAO

Hudson has a badly sprained ankle and Jackson is dealing with an MCL injury.

You tell me now that works out for moving around at north of 300 lbs trying to block guys north of 300 lbs.

I really don't know why we are playing Jackson. Good was playing extremely well, and our OL play has dropped off since Jackson came back.

UChieffyBugger 12-04-2019 11:34 AM

When he got his sack on Sunday he got up and lapped up the crowd and was kind of laughing...it was great to see and when Chris gets going his energy is infectious and gets both his team mates and the crowd buzzing. Imo we'd be crazy to let him go.

Gravedigger 12-04-2019 11:35 AM

He's good, bordering great, but will he continue his play after he's paid is the question, and for how long? We just don't have a great history with players after they've been paid. Chris Jones looks like a steadfast addition for KC for many years to come, but we've been burned before by incorrect choices. It's a tough spot no doubt, especially since so many fans are behind him.

Chiefspants 12-04-2019 11:36 AM

Quote:

I'm not fundamentally opposed to signing him.

Mahomes and the OL need to take priority imho, though. The Andrew Luck is a big lesson that the Chiefs need to follow.

Iconic 12-04-2019 11:42 AM

Still so ****ing stupid we gave Clark that autistic contract when it should have been Jones. Now we are in this situation thinking it might be better to deal Jones than keep him.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 12-04-2019 11:43 AM

We can’t afford Jones tbh. We are going to need 3 new WRs as well and some linebackers

O.city 12-04-2019 11:46 AM

There's always the back of the mind issue that guys in the locker room will notice when you go pay guys form the outside and then a guy develops in house and you don't wanna pay him.

Jones has done pretty much everything you ask him to do, it'll be tough to let him go.

TwistedChief 12-04-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14633555)
There's always the back of the mind issue that guys in the locker room will notice when you go pay guys form the outside and then a guy develops in house and you don't wanna pay him.

Houston, Berry, Fisher, LDT, Kelce, Hill all say hi.

I think they gotta find a way to pay him. Our pass rush is non-existent without him.

Shouldn't someone have reminded everyone in this thread already that the salary cap is a myth?

WarChief 12-04-2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrwheader (Post 14633338)
yea he's great but we gotta pay mahomes and also still field a team so don't think he is sticking around if he's asking aaron donald cash.

Defence already isn’t great, so you want to take more talent away from it? You can’t build around Mahomes when you lose your best players and he’s not on the field because the D can’t stop a nosebleed.

Buckweath 12-04-2019 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 14633512)
Tag him. Listen to offers. Trade if blown away by an offer.

Extend him if you aren’t blown away by an offer.

I don’t think we should be married to any player except Mahomes. Everyone else is available for the correct compensation.

You win.

Plan A should be to resign him at 18-19M per season.

Plan B is tagging him and listening to offers.

staylor26 12-04-2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14633555)

Jones has done pretty much everything you ask him to do, it'll be tough to let him go.

Lol O.concerned

O.city 12-04-2019 12:17 PM

I don't think it's a big deal, especially in today's NFL, but it's definitely noticed.

Look at Jones and the stuff coming out about him seeing what Clark got and that being where he wants to get.

The Clark deal pretty much ended the Jones long term talk here I think.

staylor26 12-04-2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14633613)
I don't think it's a big deal, especially in today's NFL, but it's definitely noticed.

Look at Jones and the stuff coming out about him seeing what Clark got and that being where he wants to get.

The Clark deal pretty much ended the Jones long term talk here I think.

Yea and that’s probably the only person that really gives a ****, Jones, not the “locker room”.

Chief Pagan 12-04-2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

I was one of the ones skeptical about paying Hill full market value. Obviously the allegations against him changed the market, but Hill signed a fairly team friendly deal. His per year salary is up there but the guaranteed amount is not.

So I think that is a great deal for KC.

So as others are saying, if he will take a team friendly deal do it. If he wants full market value, tag and trade.

O.city 12-04-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14633619)
Yea and that’s probably the only person that really gives a ****, Jones, not the “locker room”.

Well, Jones is a pretty integral part of the locker room, no? I'd imagine one of the team leaders being a bit flustered about this or that would be noticed elsewhere.

staylor26 12-04-2019 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14633624)
Well, Jones is a pretty integral part of the locker room, no? I'd imagine one of the team leaders being a bit flustered about this or that would be noticed elsewhere.

Yea he’s so “flustered” he didn’t hold out or anything :rolleyes:

It’s not an issue.

PAChiefsGuy 12-04-2019 12:25 PM

Tough situation because of the contract Clark has and what we gave up to get Clark. You gotta just be real careful that Jones is going to continue to play as well as he has. Too often players get a big contract and fall off, especially dlineman.

O.city 12-04-2019 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14633632)
Yea he’s so “flustered” he didn’t hold out or anything :rolleyes:

It’s not an issue.

So he showed up for all the offseason stuff? I thought I remembered him skipping some stuff.

Chief Roundup 12-04-2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14633469)

The QB they wanna give the biggest deal ever has been pretty injury prone, are we supposed to be worried about that?

What???? He has not been injury prone. Geez where do some of you come up with this kind of stuff.

O.city 12-04-2019 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 14633643)
What???? He has not been injury prone. Geez where do some of you come up with this kind of stuff.

Was being rhetorical.

But he has had some injury history, IIRC, dating back to Tech. But it's football, guys get hurt.

staylor26 12-04-2019 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14633642)
So he showed up for all the offseason stuff? I thought I remembered him skipping some stuff.

He was here for the start of TC in great spirits. He’s shown no signs of being bitter/unhappy. It’s not an issue. Stop making something out of nothing.

O.city 12-04-2019 12:44 PM

Ok, if you say so.

Flying High D 12-04-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 14633371)
The only pending situation for Chris Jones is how many times he makes Brady scream like a little girl on Sunday

BoneCrusher style

Chief Northman 12-04-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcjayhawks5 (Post 14633377)
I would tag and trade him. He had a great year last year but this year he’s just another guy and he doesn’t impact the games like a guy that is wanting to get paid like Aaron Donald.

JFC what have you been watching?

pugsnotdrugs19 12-04-2019 12:49 PM

I wanna get serious about the offensive line here. It needs to happen.

We’ve got 2 UDFAs and a 6th round pick starting from guard to guard. That’s not good enough.

It might mean trading Jones to make a more serious investment, but that’s what I’d do if we have to.

staylor26 12-04-2019 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14633675)
Ok, if you say so.

Ironic considering I’m not the one making baseless speculation.

O.city 12-04-2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14633688)
Ironic considering I’m not the one making baseless speculation.

I said "ok, if you say so" and moved on. I'm not sure what baseless claim I'm making?

Molitoth 12-04-2019 12:57 PM

I know it's unfair to Chis Jones to lump him in with all of the other huge contracts the Chiefs have given out... but quite honestly the Chiefs ****ing suck at giant contracts in the last 15 years.

Beaten dog syndrome. Tag and Trade.

The Bears and Rams aren't winning a superbowl with their studs on the DL.

staylor26 12-04-2019 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14633691)
I said "ok, if you say so" and moved on. I'm not sure what baseless claim I'm making?

“If you say so” implies a grudging acceptance of something.

BlackHelicopters 12-04-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14633691)

Relax O. Dude likes to argue. Go do a couple of implants and pocket ten grand.

Hog's Gone Fishin 12-04-2019 01:28 PM

It would sure be nice if Mahomes takes a team friendly deal. I don't expect it to happen but if I were Mahomes I'd do it.

What the hell are you gonna buy with 40 mil that you can't buy with 20 mil?????

O.city 12-04-2019 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackHelicopters (Post 14633739)
Relax O. Dude likes to argue. Go do a couple of implants and pocket ten grand.

Ha, yeah right.

It's all drill and fill here for me today. I placed a few this year because the rep let me use the equipment on a trial base, didn't care for it. Implant placement isn't really my thing. I'll stick to bread and butter dentistry and let you big fellas do that stuf.

kccrow 12-04-2019 02:44 PM

I would tag and trade, to be honest.

Nnadi and Saunders are playing well there and really helped plug up the interior run issues from a DLine standpoint. I think you bring back Pennel on a small deal and add a draft pick there. A damned solid crop of DTs coming out in the draft this year.

I think the resources that will be required to retain Jones could be better used. Put the resources into other spots that are a little light in the draft, such as DE, and retain guys like Ogbah. Maybe go after a good LB or a CB harder in FA.

frozenchief 12-04-2019 03:18 PM

Can't let him walk. Football is won in the trenches and linemen are crucial on both sides of the ball. If our O-line were any good we wouldn't be talking about the Chiefs' offensive issues.

So when we have a good defensive lineman like we do in Jones, don't let him walk.

xztop123 12-04-2019 03:20 PM

is there no way to cut bait with the frank clark one? and maybe watkins even tho i think he’s more valuable than clark

el borracho 12-04-2019 03:25 PM

Chris Jones is like the bear from the Revenant; he savages the opponent.

I am open to trade if someone wants to make an absurd offer, but I am very comfortable paying him.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 12-04-2019 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xztop123 (Post 14634037)
is there no way to cut bait with the frank clark one? and maybe watkins even tho i think he’s more valuable than clark

Can’t cut bait with Clark. Watkins will be gone