ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Anyone build anything lately (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=333381)

Perineum Ripper 09-05-2020 02:21 PM

Anyone build anything lately

Since the world has been going to shit, thought I would see if anyone has built anything recently.

With the upcoming release of the 3000 GPUs, I might have to build one. Wife is also about to start a new business, and we will need a bigger better computer anyway.

DaneMcCloud 09-05-2020 02:27 PM

Thanks to Fish, I've got my eyes set on a Ryzen 3900x build for my studio.

I'm still trying to suss out the Thunderbolt/USB 3.1(c) thing because my audio interface supports Thunderbolt but I've not had much luck so far in my limited research in terms of motherboard choices.

vailpass 09-05-2020 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac459 (Post 15149939)
Since the world has been going to shit, thought I would see if anyone has built anything recently.

With the upcoming release of the 3000 GPUs, I might have to build one. Wife is also about to start a new business, and we will need a bigger better computer anyway.

Funny you say that. I just signed up to be notified by Nvidia when the 3080 is released on 9/17. Going to do a Christmas build for one of my boys.

Perineum Ripper 09-05-2020 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15149947)

I'm still trying to suss out the Thunderbolt/USB 3.1(c) thing because my audio interface supports Thunderbolt but I've not had much luck so far in my limited research in terms of motherboard choices.

That should be really good for all that you do, it should be able to handle about anything you throw at it. It’s crazy to watch how quick these new CPUs process everything compared to what was around a few years ago.

Be sure to take some pictures of that build when you get it done, would love to see it.

Perineum Ripper 09-05-2020 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 15149992)
Funny you say that. I just signed up to be notified by Nvidia when the 3080 is released on 9/17. Going to do a Christmas build for one of my boys.

I’m waiting on the 3070, $500 and supposedly going to be better than the 2080Ti. Sign me up for that all day.

htismaqe 09-05-2020 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac459 (Post 15150289)
That should be really good for all that you do, it should be able to handle about anything you throw at it. It’s crazy to watch how quick these new CPUs process everything compared to what was around a few years ago.

Be sure to take some pictures of that build when you get it done, would love to see it.

I just got a system with a Ryzen 5 4500U and it's pretty freaking fast.

htismaqe 09-05-2020 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15149947)

Dude, you're a studio musician. Just go ahead and drop 15K on an iMac Pro. :D

Seriously though, I have Thunderbolt 3 and it's very, very responsive for everything from audio to storage. I run a 2nd display off of TB.

vailpass 09-05-2020 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac459 (Post 15150296)
I’m waiting on the 3070, $500 and supposedly going to be better than the 2080Ti. Sign me up for that all day.

I hope the hype is true. Did you see the power requirements are higher for the 30xx?

Coming out in late night October. They’ll notify you if you want to give your email addy.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...ns/rtx-bundle/

DaneMcCloud 09-05-2020 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15150299)
Dude, you're a studio musician. Just go ahead and drop 15K on an iMac Pro. :D

Seriously though, I have Thunderbolt 3 and it's very, very responsive for everything from audio to storage. I run a 2nd display off of TB.

Which motherboard are you using?

I have a MOTU ES828 Thunderbolt 3/USB 2.0 audio interface and in my conversations with MOTU, there are some specifics that need to happen in order for Thunderbolt to work properly with a PC, including a certain Win 10 driver.

Randallflagg 09-05-2020 06:07 PM

I just recently finished a build of a 67 Precision Bass....built her from parts that took me about a year and a half to locate. She is going to be a Christmas present to my Grandson..

Perineum Ripper 09-05-2020 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 15150325)
I hope the hype is true. Did you see the power requirements are higher for the 30xx?

Coming out in late night October. They’ll notify you if you want to give your email addy.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...ns/rtx-bundle/

I hope it’s true too, it would be a great bang for the buck. I seen the 3080 runs two 8 pin connectors and was recommended 750 power supply.

Now signed up, thanks for the link

Perineum Ripper 09-05-2020 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randallflagg (Post 15150373)
I just recently finished a build of a 67 Precision Bass....built her from parts that took me about a year and a half to locate. She is going to be a Christmas present to my Grandson..

That’s pretty awesome. I have never thought about people putting together instruments, but now that you brought it up. Makes perfect sense and is probably a really rewarding feeling getting something like that built.

hometeam 09-05-2020 06:28 PM

Going to redo my main build a bit with a 3080 or 3090 and a new PSU~ built some ryzen 3600x systems for friends, but no reason to build right now if you have current gen ryzen or back to 6 seriies intel

DaneMcCloud 09-05-2020 07:07 PM

Well, it looks like AMD is out because Thunderbolt does not do well with AMD and audio interfaces. So I guess I'm back to Intel. I already have six SSD's and two external drives so I guess this is probably it.

Intel Core i9-10900K processor
Noctua NH-U12A CPU cooler
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D motherboard
GAMEMAX Power Supply 850W
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600MHz 64GB memory

kcxiv 09-05-2020 07:16 PM

built an all AMD PC in the beginning of the year! 3800x 4600xt. Thing runs well plays all the games in 1080p really well! I mostly play competitive shooters, so it works fine for what i do.

edit- err 5600xt. lol

htismaqe 09-05-2020 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15150332)
Which motherboard are you using?

I have a MOTU ES828 Thunderbolt 3/USB 2.0 audio interface and in my conversations with MOTU, there are some specifics that need to happen in order for Thunderbolt to work properly with a PC, including a certain Win 10 driver.

Oh sorry, wasn't clear. I have an iMac. MacOS has supported TB natively since 1.0

htismaqe 09-05-2020 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15150429)
Well, it looks like AMD is out because Thunderbolt does not do well with AMD and audio interfaces. So I guess I'm back to Intel. I already have six SSD's and two external drives so I guess this is probably it.

Intel Core i9-10900K processor
Noctua NH-U12A CPU cooler
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D motherboard
GAMEMAX Power Supply 850W
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600MHz 64GB memory

Hmm, didn't know about TB and AMD.

That looks like a pretty decently powerful setup though.

DaneMcCloud 09-05-2020 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15150535)
Hmm, didn't know about TB and AMD.

Yeah, me neither, although I've never built an AMD system before because they've always been one notch below Intel for DAW's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15150535)
That looks like a pretty decently powerful setup though.

I hope so because my i4790k build from 2015 is starting to give me fits and Thunderbolt to the MOTU 828es should make a huge difference in terms of CPU usage and buffer settings.

For the past year or so, I've been constantly changing the buffer size throughout the day because the CPU is close to overloading, which is no fun.

Pants 09-05-2020 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 15149992)

Wanna adopt me right quick, vail?

Perineum Ripper 09-06-2020 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15150571)
Yeah, me neither, although I've never built an AMD system before because they've always been one notch below Intel for DAW's.

I hope so because my i4790k build from 2015 is starting to give me fits and Thunderbolt to the MOTU 828es should make a huge difference in terms of CPU usage and buffer settings.

For the past year or so, I've been constantly changing the buffer size throughout the day because the CPU is close to overloading, which is no fun.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.win...ryzen-pc%3Famp

Found this on AMD and TB, don’t know if this will help you out. Thought it had some good information in it.

TambaBerry 09-06-2020 09:37 AM

I'm just going to throw the 3090 into my system to replace my 1080ti and not even think about gpus for like 4-5 years.

htismaqe 09-06-2020 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15150571)

It dawned on me this morning that I remember reading about the future of TB support in MacOS because of the impending switch from Intel to ARM. Can't believe I didn't remember this before but hey, I'm getting older.

Thunderbolt was actually developed by Intel, with cooperation from Apple. I never really gave it another thought because I've been using Apple (and thus Intel) for so long.

BWillie 09-06-2020 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac459 (Post 15149939)

No idea what any of this shit means, but apparently Im going to have buy a gaming PC before this winter for my golf simulator. Im told my $900 laptop with an i9 processor doesn't have a good enough video card to run The Golf Club 2019 at 60fps+ in 1080p.

Can someone point to something $599 or less that will do it and be upgradeable in a couple yrs if I choose to get a 4k projector

DaneMcCloud 09-06-2020 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15151015)
It dawned on me this morning that I remember reading about the future of TB support in MacOS because of the impending switch from Intel to ARM. Can't believe I didn't remember this before but hey, I'm getting older.

Thunderbolt was actually developed by Intel, with cooperation from Apple. I never really gave it another thought because I've been using Apple (and thus Intel) for so long.

Steinberg has always recommended Intel over AMD, so every box I've built since '97 has been Intel based.

Earlier this summer, Fish mentioned how AMD's latest generation processors had surpassed the latest from Intel and after a little bit of research, read that the Ryzen series would definitely make for a powerful DAW. So, I started an Amazon cart with an AMD build at the time and had planned to move forward with it until I had time to further research the compatibility with Thunderbolt.

Unfortunately, it's just not good.

I'll just build another Intel box and hope that it lasts me 4-5 years before needing to replace it. But the main reason for doing so is because I want to take advantage of the Thunderbolt option on the MOTU, which will allow more dedicated horsepower to the DAW and my millions of plugins and less usage on the CPU than USB.

vailpass 09-06-2020 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 15150715)
Wanna adopt me right quick, vail?

Sure, I’d enjoy the conversations. My 21 year old’s best friend lives with us and my two high school boys have so many friends in and out it would probably take me a week or two to figure out you were here.

vailpass 09-06-2020 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TambaBerry (Post 15150998)
I'm just going to throw the 3090 into my system to replace my 1080ti and not even think about gpus for like 4-5 years.

You’re likely going to need a new psu and maybe a mobo as well. And if your cpu isn’t at least i7 9700k you’ll need to upgrade. Also, anything less than a 4K monitor and you won’t realize the full benefits of that beast of a card.

htismaqe 09-07-2020 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15151959)
Steinberg has always recommended Intel over AMD, so every box I've built since '97 has been Intel based.

Earlier this summer, Fish mentioned how AMD's latest generation processors had surpassed the latest from Intel and after a little bit of research, read that the Ryzen series would definitely make for a powerful DAW. So, I started an Amazon cart with an AMD build at the time and had planned to move forward with it until I had time to further research the compatibility with Thunderbolt.

Unfortunately, it's just not good.

I'll just build another Intel box and hope that it lasts me 4-5 years before needing to replace it. But the main reason for doing so is because I want to take advantage of the Thunderbolt option on the MOTU, which will allow more dedicated horsepower to the DAW and my millions of plugins and less usage on the CPU than USB.

You're on the right track. :thumb:

htismaqe 09-07-2020 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 15151939)
No idea what any of this shit means, but apparently Im going to have buy a gaming PC before this winter for my golf simulator. Im told my $900 laptop with an i9 processor doesn't have a good enough video card to run The Golf Club 2019 at 60fps+ in 1080p.

Can someone point to something $599 or less that will do it and be upgradeable in a couple yrs if I choose to get a 4k projector

All that CPU horsepower won't do much good if it has an integrated graphics chipset. Does your laptop have a discrete GPU? If so, what is it?

There's lots of ways to build a cheaper, more powerful PC. Do you still want a laptop? That will be more difficult on a budget but if you're investing in a projector, you might want something more portable than a big ATX case.

BWillie 09-07-2020 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15152345)
All that CPU horsepower won't do much good if it has an integrated graphics chipset. Does your laptop have a discrete GPU? If so, what is it?

There's lots of ways to build a cheaper, more powerful PC. Do you still want a laptop? That will be more difficult on a budget but if you're investing in a projector, you might want something more portable than a big ATX case.

Ideally I would want a laptop so I can have multipurpose but I know going with desktop is cheaper. Going to use a Benq TH671ST 1080p projector but I may decide to move to 4k down the road if they start making golf simulator impact screens that can even display it.

Perineum Ripper 09-08-2020 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 15152671)
Ideally I would want a laptop so I can have multipurpose but I know going with desktop is cheaper. Going to use a Benq TH671ST 1080p projector but I may decide to move to 4k down the road if they start making golf simulator impact screens that can even display it.

Is your budget stuck at $600? Are you going to keep the other laptop, or will you sell it? If you keep the old one, I would suggest building a desktop to play games on

BWillie 09-08-2020 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac459 (Post 15154071)
Is your budget stuck at $600? Are you going to keep the other laptop, or will you sell it? If you keep the old one, I would suggest building a desktop to play games on

Planning on selling the laptop, using portion of those funds for a gaming laptop that has good battery life (when not doing gaming).

I've heard I may need at least a Intel HD Graphics 1060 and probably even better than that (I have Intel HD Graphics 520 on my current laptop). 16 GB ram. An SSD. And enough processing power to run that at 1080p and 60FPS+.

I'll even buy used, I just don't really know what to look for. Graphic cards are so foreign to me, especially laptop ones. I've never been into gaming that required that stuff.

If I can sell my current laptop and find a gaming laptop that can do what is needed, would be willing to spend $999.

Perineum Ripper 09-09-2020 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 15154182)
Planning on selling the laptop, using portion of those funds for a gaming laptop that has good battery life (when not doing gaming).

I've heard I may need at least a Intel HD Graphics 1060 and probably even better than that (I have Intel HD Graphics 520 on my current laptop). 16 GB ram. An SSD. And enough processing power to run that at 1080p and 60FPS+.

I'll even buy used, I just don't really know what to look for. Graphic cards are so foreign to me, especially laptop ones. I've never been into gaming that required that stuff.

If I can sell my current laptop and find a gaming laptop that can do what is needed, would be willing to spend $999.

I’m not that up to date on laptops, but I did find one you might do some looking into.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pavi...&skuId=6409145

Perineum Ripper 09-16-2020 07:25 AM

https://youtu.be/32GE1bfxRVo

Here is some benchmark tests for the new 3080

Pants 09-16-2020 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac459 (Post 15171405)
https://youtu.be/32GE1bfxRVo

Here is some benchmark tests for the new 3080

I subscribe to him. Great video as always and thanks for posting.

It's unbelievable to me how much better this generation is.

Anyone want an RTX 2080 paper weight?

On one hand, my inclination is to regret ever buying the 2080, but it has been so solid for me at 1440p the last two years, I don't think it was actually a waste of my money.

Had I just purchased the 2080 Ti in the last 6 months, the regret would be very deep. LMAO

vailpass 09-16-2020 05:24 PM

Best Buy has the 3080 cards on their site available for purchase on 9/17, except for ASUS’ STRIX version which is delayed.

The Founder’s edition is $699 then they vary all the way up to $769. I’m having a hard time nailing down the differences between the cards other than boost clock, backplate, fans.

This is a big freaking card. The Gigabyte version looks kind of ridiculous. I’m debating whether take the risk of the early adopter vs. the risk of supply running out by December.

Fish 09-16-2020 11:03 PM

So earlier this week, I upgraded from a 24" Dell 1080p 60Hz monitor to a 32" AOC 1440p 144Hz 1ms curved monitor as my main monitor. Holy shit... I really underestimated the difference that higher refresh rate makes. Playing the same games I'm used to is just completely night and day different. I had no idea what I was missing. Been firing up old games all week to test, and it's just so sexy. Don't underestimate that refresh rate....

BWillie 09-17-2020 12:08 AM

I have this shitball desktop
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
16 GB
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GT 710
120 GB SSD that is about full but a 1TB HD

Can't I just buy a GTX 2070 and put it in this and call it a day? Does the kind of video slot matter?

Fish 09-17-2020 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 15172972)
16 GB
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GT 710

Can't I just buy a GTX 2070 and put it in this and call it a day? Does the kind of video slot matter?

What kind of video slot? It all depends on your existing mobo video slots. Not everything just magically works. If you're putting that GeForce GT 710 in a slot that doesn't support it, then yes, that would definitely matter and cause it to work incorrectly. If you're trying to insert a video card into a motherboard that doesn't support it, then you're going to have an issue 100% of the time.

Pants 09-17-2020 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 15172972)
16 GB
Windows 10 Pro
GeForce GT 710

Dang, BWillie, that is pretty ancient.

Also, you're going to be able to find used RTX 2070 (there is no GTX 2070) cards for dirt cheap in a month. The GTX 1070 will be even cheaper.

Perineum Ripper 09-20-2020 08:04 AM

So did anyone get lucky enough to snag a 3080, there are a ton of horror stories about the launch.

vailpass 09-20-2020 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac459 (Post 15178919)
So did anyone get lucky enough to snag a 3080, there are a ton of horror stories about the launch.

I’m waiting for the super editions to come out. Want that extra memory.

https://www.techspot.com/amp/news/86...-rtx-3080.html

KCTea 09-21-2020 07:49 AM

Other than my ever-growing crippling anxiety. No...but am thinking of upgrading the ole iMac.

Perineum Ripper 09-24-2020 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCTea (Post 15183505)
Other than my ever-growing crippling anxiety. No...but am thinking of upgrading the ole iMac.

Never had any dealings with an iMac, know some people love and others hate them. Doesn’t seem like much of an in between.

Perineum Ripper 09-24-2020 11:49 AM

Here is some 3090 for those interested. If I was smart enough to figure it out I would embed it

https://youtu.be/zxVwYbQ7Mdc

Pants 09-24-2020 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac459 (Post 15190095)
Here is some 3090 for those interested. If I was smart enough to figure it out I would embed it

https://youtu.be/zxVwYbQ7Mdc

Here you go, bud.

[Share > Embed > Copy/Paste into the post] :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zxVwYbQ7Mdc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fish 09-24-2020 11:52 AM

8K gaming with the 3090. Holy Christ.

And I love that the first game he tries is Doom...

<iframe width="1280" height="640" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JDUnSsx62j8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pants 09-24-2020 11:59 AM

The whispers for the 3080 have already started in my head.

MUST...

RESIST.

Perineum Ripper 09-24-2020 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 15190099)
Here you go, bud.

[Share > Embed > Copy/Paste into the post] :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zxVwYbQ7Mdc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sweet, appreciate it

hometeam 09-24-2020 08:09 PM

I have been sitting in a discord for 7 days, trying to cop a 3080 with about 10k other people using it as a launching ground.

This morning, i patiently waitied for 8am and the 3090 launch.. no real intention of purchasing one, but, why not try just as an excercise in this whole meme-filed chase for these godlike GPUS.

And yes. I let me add it to my cart.. the site did not break.. and yes, it let me fill out my info, and the site did not break, and YES I got caught up in the hype and pressed checkout, and the site did not break...

and YES I GOT SO ****ING CAUGHT UP I BOUGHT A 3090!

Oh well. PCMR, boys.

Pants 09-24-2020 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 15191127)
I have been sitting in a discord for 7 days, trying to cop a 3080 with about 10k other people using it as a launching ground.

This morning, i patiently waitied for 8am and the 3090 launch.. no real intention of purchasing one, but, why not try just as an excercise in this whole meme-filed chase for these godlike GPUS.

And yes. I let me add it to my cart.. the site did not break.. and yes, it let me fill out my info, and the site did not break, and YES I got caught up in the hype and pressed checkout, and the site did not break...

Oh well. PCMR, boys.

Congrats on your new baby! PCMR.

Fish 09-24-2020 09:32 PM

Quote:

Oh well. PCMR, boys.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a5/8f...f2b18ec2b6.gif

Perineum Ripper 09-25-2020 08:36 AM

Quote:

Oh well. PCMR, boys.

https://www.askideas.com/media/08/Wi...-Dance-Gif.gif

vailpass 09-25-2020 02:59 PM

Quote:

Oh well. PCMR, boys.

Cool. Congrats on the card.

What is a discord?
What is pcmr?

Pants 09-25-2020 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 15192317)
Cool. Congrats on the card.

What is a discord?
What is pcmr?

Discord is an app "for gamers" to talk to each other. Kind of like a super slick forum on your phone (or PC).

PCMR = PC Master Race. You're in it. Congrats. :D

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...resdefault.jpg

vailpass 09-25-2020 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 15192415)
Discord is an app "for gamers" to talk to each other. Kind of like a super slick forum on your phone (or PC).

PCMR = PC Master Race. You're in it. Congrats. :D

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...resdefault.jpg

:D Thanks

vailpass 09-25-2020 08:49 PM

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Users Report Crashes & Black Screens During Gaming

NVIDIA's GeForce RTX 3080's launch has been plagued with a range of issues and as per the latest reports, buyers who did manage to get the cards at launch are now facing severe crashes during gaming. The problems have been reported at the majority of forums which include Computerbase, LinusTechTips, OCUK, and even NVIDIA's own forums.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Users Report Crashes & Black Screens During Gaming, Problem Specific To Custom Variants
According to various forum threads, the issue seems to be specific to the custom variants of the GeForce RTX 3080 graphics card. The main issue that is being reported is that the cards crash to the desktop while gaming which is commonly referred to as CTD. Some users have also reported black screens which are commonly associated with CTD's where the driver simply bugs out. There is no official response from NVIDIA or its AIB partners on the matter yet.

Some users have stated that the crash occurs when the card exceeds boost clocks of 2.0 GHz. We also had our Tech Editor, Keith May, face a similar issue with our custom GeForce RTX 3080 variant from Colorful which had to be returned and evaluated by the AIB themselves.

We can't say for sure if the issue has more so to do with the software-side or if the existing clocks speeds are just too high for the RTX 3080 AIBs to handle. We know for a fact that several AIBs were finalizing clock speeds even after the GeForce RTX 3080 was announced and clock speeds for RTX 3080 custom variants were revealed just a few weeks prior to launch. So it could be that AIBs didn't get the time they needed to evaluate the clock speeds extensively. The same is true for the GeForce RTX 3090 and GeForce RTX 3070 custom models since their clock speeds have not been finalized yet either.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-...during-gaming/

hometeam 09-25-2020 10:45 PM

fortunately i didnt go for a zotac or pny. Founder's edition has the 2 MLSS modules, so fully safe to go above 2.0 ghz, which i plan on at least trying.

Fish 10-19-2020 11:45 PM

So, I just recently experienced my first OS install on an NVMe PCIe M.2 drive. Holy shit, that's fast. 2400MB/s read speed. This is crazy.

Only $52 for a 500GB 3rd gen NVME:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086BGWNY8

I've got another M.2 slot on my mobo, I think I might get a 1TB to run games on, because this is just crazy fast.

htismaqe 10-20-2020 06:29 AM

Yeah those drives are crazy fast. This is first time I've seen them that cheap though!

BWillie 10-21-2020 12:04 AM

Someone build me a gaming computer on the cheap for my golf simulator. Just need 1080p at 60fps. I will give you free positive rep for as long as u live

hometeam 10-21-2020 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 15262720)
Someone build me a gaming computer on the cheap for my golf simulator. Just need 1080p at 60fps. I will give you free positive rep for as long as u live

where do you live?

htismaqe 10-21-2020 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 15262720)

You still in Iowa? I could probably do it for you.

Perineum Ripper 10-21-2020 09:53 AM

You should be able to get hooked up really well between the knowledge that’s around here. It also shouldn’t take a massive budget to get you 1080 and 60fp, 1440 shouldn’t be hard to reach with much more effort

Perineum Ripper 10-21-2020 09:58 AM

Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel Core i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz or equivalent
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7850 or NVIDIA GTX 660 with 2GB video RAM
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 12 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 11 compatible

So that’s the recommended specs for The Golf Club 2019, those are going to be easy to skull **** with all the different parts out there now.

BWillie 10-21-2020 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15262990)
You still in Iowa? I could probably do it for you.

Kansas but have family in Sioux City still.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 15262941)
where do you live?

Shawnee.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wj_W0B6xMqo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

htismaqe 10-21-2020 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac459 (Post 15263210)
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel Core i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz or equivalent
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7850 or NVIDIA GTX 660 with 2GB video RAM
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 12 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 11 compatible

So that’s the recommended specs for The Golf Club 2019, those are going to be easy to skull **** with all the different parts out there now.

Wow. That's a midrange PC. He could get that done for very little money.

BWillie 10-21-2020 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15263384)
Wow. That's a midrange PC. He could get that done for very little money.

Yeah I want to be able to stream my swing to it on camera too so probably a little more than minimum specs. Maybe I'll make YouTube videos about reviewing different stuff and be a nerd.

My Intel Integrated 520 works alot better than I thought it would but would be shameful if I posted videos.

Shiver Me Timbers 10-21-2020 01:59 PM

I just wish I knew what y'all are talking about.
I will show the thread to my youngest son- he will clue me in

Pants 11-06-2020 09:47 PM

As a member of the Master Race, this video made me cringe.

<iframe src="https://www.gamespot.com/videos/embed/6454169/" width="640" height="360" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

jd1020 11-06-2020 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 15308317)
As a member of the Master Race, this video made me cringe.

You'll never take away my -novid!!

DeepPurple 11-07-2020 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiver Me Timbers (Post 15264043)
I just wish I knew what y'all are talking about.
I will show the thread to my youngest son- he will clue me in

I use to built the Universal Monster Models back in the early 60's and I just decided to get back into models again. I just picked up this one on eBay, they're harder to find now since the original companies aren't around, there are about a dozen available on Amazon from reissues by other companies.

This is not even the original version, this is a 1994 reissue by Monogram but it's still in the plastic new, I had to bid on it on eBay to win. I've always been a fan of the Creature of the Black Lagoon since I was 7 years old in '57 and we went to Silver Springs Florida on the glass bottom boat ride and they showed me where the movie was made. Now I live only 30 miles away and I have the movie on my DVR.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/p2AAA...Ba/s-l1600.jpg

hometeam 11-07-2020 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 15263248)
Kansas but have family in Sioux City still.

Shawnee.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wj_W0B6xMqo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Im way late but we can do the damn thing if you want, im a couple hours out but I bet we could figure it out

vailpass 11-10-2020 01:10 PM

I was on the NZXT site today to find a case as the first step in shopping for new build parts for one of my sons for Christmas. I stumbled upon their build service and before I knew I had built a PC and ordered it. Cost $99 to have them assemble it. Lazy? Most definitely. But I have a lot of shit going on all of a sudden for the holidays so I'm trying it out.

Only thing I'm not happy about is the mobo selection. It was limited so I have to add in my own wifi/bluetooth adapter. Good side of that, I can make it wifi 6. Also, they were out of stock on Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 so I had to order from Best Buy but no biggie. Now, what monitors are good right now? Don't know that it needs to be 4k.

Case: NZXT H710Black Red

Cooler:NZXT Kraken X63

Mobo:MSI Z490-A PRO

GPU:MSI GeForce RTX™ 3080 Ventus 3X 10G OC

CPU:Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 2.9GHz

PS:XPG Core Reactor 850W Gold

RAM:G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200MHz2 X 16 GB

Windows 10 HomeHome Edition

Storage:Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB M.2 (2)

TP-Link WiFi 6 Bluetooth 5.0 AX3000 card

Pants 11-10-2020 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 15318612)
I was on the NZXT site today to find a case as the first step in shopping for new build parts for one of my sons for Christmas. I stumbled upon their build service and before I knew I had built a PC and ordered it. Cost $99 to have them assemble it. Lazy? Most definitely. But I have a lot of shit going on all of a sudden for the holidays so I'm trying it out.

Only thing I'm not happy about is the mobo selection. It was limited so I have to add in my own wifi/bluetooth adapter. Good side of that, I can make it wifi 6. Also, they were out of stock on Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 so I had to order from Best Buy but no biggie. Now, what monitors are good right now? Don't know that it needs to be 4k.

Still waiting to get adopted by you. I want a computer JUST like that for Christmas too. LMAO

As far as monitors go, you're looking at:

Size (27" is the sweet spot if you're going for a traditional aspect ratio, of you can just go crazy on the ultrawide)
Resolution (2k vs 4k)
GSync for that juicy Nvidia GPU
Panel type (IPS vs VA vs TN, etc)
Refresh rate (120 Hz+)
HDR options

Good monitors cost a lot but you want to do your son's beast of PC justice.

If you think he will be doing 4K on it, you probably do not need a crazy high refresh rate because even the 3080 can't push 200 frames per second at 4K.

If he will be doing 1440 (2K), you probably want to get a high refresh panel with Gsync for that buttery smooth image.

Panel types are probably less important, but IPS is probably still the best as far as I know. IPS produces the most vivid colors, and has good viewing angles. I honestly just don't think your son will care if you get a TN panel, though.

htismaqe 11-10-2020 03:10 PM

Quote:

Only thing I'm not happy about is the mobo selection. It was limited so I have to add in my own wifi/bluetooth adapter. Good side of that, I can make it wifi 6.

Dude, there's nothing to be unhappy about. Using wifi on a desktop, shame on you. :D

BigBeauford 11-10-2020 03:26 PM

Quote:

Damn thats a sweet rig.

vailpass 11-10-2020 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 15318710)
Still waiting to get adopted by you. I want a computer JUST like that for Christmas too. LMAO

As far as monitors go, you're looking at:

Size (27" is the sweet spot if you're going for a traditional aspect ratio, of you can just go crazy on the ultrawide)
Resolution (2k vs 4k)
GSync for that juicy Nvidia GPU
Panel type (IPS vs VA vs TN, etc)
Refresh rate (120 Hz+)
HDR options

Good monitors cost a lot but you want to do your son's beast of PC justice.

If you think he will be doing 4K on it, you probably do not need a crazy high refresh rate because even the 3080 can't push 200 frames per second at 4K.

If he will be doing 1440 (2K), you probably want to get a high refresh panel with Gsync for that buttery smooth image.

Panel types are probably less important, but IPS is probably still the best as far as I know. IPS produces the most vivid colors, and has good viewing angles. I honestly just don't think your son will care if you get a TN panel, though.

Thanks man, you shared some really useful stuff here. Would you prefer a 27” monitor over a 32” for gaming?

vailpass 11-10-2020 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15318881)
Dude, there's nothing to be unhappy about. Using wifi on a desktop, shame on you. :D

Hah, true. It will be wired, but it just doesn’t seem right for any computer to not have wi-fi capability. Plus he’ll need the Bluetooth for headphones, etc.

vailpass 11-10-2020 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 15318910)
Damn thats a sweet rig.

We’ll see how the NZXT BLD service does. They warranty their work for two years although once the thing is built and posts it’s pretty much on the components after that.

I’m going to miss sitting down and building it. On the other hand, I’m not missing looking all over for components and choosing between hundreds of options this year.

TambaBerry 11-10-2020 05:33 PM

How much would you want to spend on a monitor?

I paid $400 for a 1440p 144hz 27" monitor with gsync and I love it