ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Willow streaming series happening on Disney+ (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=334464)

Tribal Warfare 10-20-2020 05:49 PM

Willow streaming series happening on Disney+

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: A Willow TV series is coming to Disney+. <a href="https://t.co/yAHi24LyT6">https://t.co/yAHi24LyT6</a> <a href="https://t.co/Y3rJebUvX4">pic.twitter.com/Y3rJebUvX4</a></p>&mdash; IGN (@IGN) <a href="https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1318618428991803392?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 20, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

lawrenceRaider 10-20-2020 05:56 PM

Anyone watch Willow recently? Does it hold up?

htismaqe 10-20-2020 06:00 PM

Sounds cool to me.

DaneMcCloud 10-20-2020 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 15261947)

Yeah, I showed Willow to one my kids a few years ago and we both loved it!

It holds up "for me" but I loved the movie the first time I saw in theaters and have owned it on DVD for decades.

This series has been in the works for more than 2 years, so I'm glad it finally all came together. I'll miss the chemistry between Val Kilmer and Warrick Davis but I'm sure they'll cast an excellent actor in a similar role.

Buehler445 10-20-2020 06:20 PM

I was a total Willow dork when I was a kid.

Deberg_1990 10-20-2020 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15261972)

It holds up "for me" but I loved the movie the first time I saw in theaters and have owned it on DVD for decades.

This series has been in the works for more than 2 years, so I'm glad it finally all came together. I'll miss the chemistry between Val Kilmer and Warrick Davis but I'm sure they'll cast an excellent actor in a similar role.

Same. I’ve always loved it. Kilmer Was an absolute star as Madmartigan.

I enjoyed showing it to my kids a few years ago and they loved it too.

Deberg_1990 10-20-2020 08:45 PM

Quote:

Absolutely. Except the effects. Which were one of the first CGI effects on film if I remember right?

Frazod 10-20-2020 08:48 PM

God I despised this movie. It was nothing more than a lame medieval retelling of Star Wars with a midget Luke and Kilmer as Han Solo. I saw it in the theater and it just pissed me off. Never understood the fascination with it. At all.

DaneMcCloud 10-20-2020 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15262390)
God I despised this movie. It was nothing more than a lame medieval retelling of Star Wars with a midget Luke and Kilmer as Han Solo. I saw it in the theater and it just pissed me off. Never understood the fascination with it. At all.

LMAO

I remember this!

IIRC, the hate wasn't quite to the level of Signs but it was pretty close.

Man, I miss those days when we had a bunch of cool people just chillin' and shootin' the shit.

Frazod 10-20-2020 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15262488)
LMAO

I remember this!

IIRC, the hate wasn't quite to the level of Signs but it was pretty close.

Man, I miss those days when we had a bunch of cool people just chillin' and shootin' the shit.

Heh. I didn't flat out hate it, but I was majorly disappointed considering the talent involved. It wasn't bad on the level of Dune, or Signs, or Batman and Robin; it was just lazy and lame. Hell, this was as much a rehashing of the original Star Wars as Force Awakens. At least Lucas ripped himself off. Ron Howard had already made some really good movies (Cocoon, Night Shift, Splash) and I was expecting more.

First warning flare of Lucas going to hell, too, although that didn't occur to me at the time.

In fairness, this may also be one of those movies that I would have appreciated more had it come out when I was younger. Had I been 13 instead of 23, it might have enjoyed it. But I wasn't.

And I'm always happy to talk about this stuff with you. You sharing your Hollywood insider stuff is one of the coolest things about this board. :thumb:

Buehler445 10-20-2020 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15262576)
Heh. I didn't flat out hate it, but I was majorly disappointed considering the talent involved. It wasn't bad on the level of Dune, or Signs, or Batman and Robin; it was just lazy and lame. Hell, this was as much a rehashing of the original Star Wars as Force Awakens. At least Lucas ripped himself off. Ron Howard had already made some really good movies (Cocoon, Night Shift, Splash) and I was expecting more.

First warning flare of Lucas going to hell, too, although that didn't occur to me at the time.

In fairness, this may also be one of those movies that I would have appreciated more had it come out when I was younger. Had I been 13 instead of 23, it might have enjoyed it. But I wasn't.

And I'm always happy to talk about this stuff with you. You sharing your Hollywood insider stuff is one of the coolest things about this board. :thumb:

I was pretty young when I saw it. And totally dorked out when I saw it. I think my brother watched it so I thought it was awesome. And my brother (9 years older) was a huuuuuuuge dork.

JD10367 10-21-2020 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15261972)

Well, Warwick Davis is alive and kicking at 50, and Kilmer hasn't done much in the past 15 years so maybe they'll reunite. I mean, Kilmer has done such outstanding work lately as the voice of KITT in the failed "Knight Rider" reboot, TV series guest shots, cartoon voices and movie cameos...

hometeam 10-21-2020 07:31 AM

Quote:

I watched it for about the 50th time a few months back, your boy val kilmer look like a skinny twig compared to his fatness in say.. macgruber of recent note.

Was a decent lil movie.

htismaqe 10-21-2020 08:42 AM

I love Willow myself.

Maybe I didn't get the connection because I don't give one shit about Star Wars. :D

DaneMcCloud 10-21-2020 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 15262903)
Well, Warwick Davis is alive and kicking at 50, and Kilmer hasn't done much in the past 15 years so maybe they'll reunite. I mean, Kilmer has done such outstanding work lately as the voice of KITT in the failed "Knight Rider" reboot, TV series guest shots, cartoon voices and movie cameos...

Kilmer has had bouts with throat cancer and physically, he's a shell of what he was during his prime.

I doubt his body would hold up on a 3-6 month shoot.

And FWIW, Voice-over actors and artists make a metric **** TON of money. INSANE amounts of money.

Deberg_1990 10-21-2020 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15263259)
Kilmer has had bouts with throat cancer and physically, he's a shell of what he was during his prime.

And FWIW, Voice-over actors and artists make a metric **** TON of money. INSANE amounts of money.

Yea, its a shame his health let him down. He had some great later career roles in stuff like 'Kiss, Kiss, Bang Bang' and 'Spartan'

Its strange he never became a huge star, because he was really great at everything. Comedy, drama, action...

htismaqe 10-21-2020 10:54 AM

Quote:

All true.

I still love Kilmer. He's really shown character with his cancer battle. Gotta admire the guy.

And yes, voice-over work is BIG money. And it's not just cartoons and movies anymore, more and more Hollywood types are doing video games, which I love.

lawrenceRaider 10-21-2020 11:22 AM

Quote:

I've been told I've got a great voice. How the hell would I get in on some of that action?

Also, thanks for the rec. I'll get Willow watched with my kids. I loved it back in the day.

ToxSocks 10-21-2020 11:35 AM

Gah, i hated that movie as a kid. HATED it.

DaneMcCloud 10-21-2020 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 15263481)
I've been told I've got a great voice. How the hell would I get in on some of that action?

Generally speaking, most voice-over artists have their Bachelor's in Drama and a Master's in Fine Arts. There are some people that have had success without acting classes and college but these days, those are far and few between, unless we're talking about children, but even those kids take acting and drama classes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 15263481)
Also, thanks for the rec. I'll get Willow watched with my kids. I loved it back in the day.

FYI, it's on Disney+ in 4K.

DaneMcCloud 10-21-2020 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15263379)
All true.

I still love Kilmer. He's really shown character with his cancer battle. Gotta admire the guy.

And yes, voice-over work is BIG money. And it's not just cartoons and movies anymore, more and more Hollywood types are doing video games, which I love.

I know a few voice actors and for me, that's the life. Most of them work from their own home studios and record in real time over internet, even pre-COVID.

I was over at Disney Animation studios a few years ago discussing scoring an upcoming series (which unfortunately, I had to pass at the time) and Mandy Moore was doing voice-overs and singing for the Tangled animated series.

Talk about a Pro's Pro. She was amazing.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-21-2020 01:05 PM

Leprechaun...Hobbit edition

lawrenceRaider 10-21-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15263629)
Generally speaking, most voice-over artists have their Bachelor's in Drama and a Master's in Fine Arts. There are some people that have had success without acting classes and college but these days, those are far and few between, unless we're talking about children, but even those kids take acting and drama classes.

What, you mean my accounting degrees won't help? :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15263629)
FYI, it's on Disney+ in 4K.

Good to know. I'll be signing back up to watch Mandalorian when it starts up.

DaneMcCloud 10-21-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 15264013)
What, you mean my accounting degrees won't help? :)

Hey, a degree in Finance hasn't stopped me from doing what I wanted in the Entertainment world, so I doubt it would stop you, if that's your passion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 15264013)
Good to know. I'll be signing back up to watch Mandalorian when it starts up.

I can't ever envision a time when I don't have Disney+ because there's just much great content, especially for kids under 16 to watch, whether it's shows like Brain Games or Weird But True to the Muppets, the Disney Animation catalog, etc.

I'd never seen Weird But True until last month and my 8 year old is hooked, so we watch an episode per night. It's a really fun show because they do everything from science experiments to survival tips in Alaska, and the hosts are young and energetic.

lawrenceRaider 10-22-2020 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15264194)
Hey, a degree in Finance hasn't stopped me from doing what I wanted in the Entertainment world, so I doubt it would stop you, if that's your passion.

I can't ever envision a time when I don't have Disney+ because there's just much great content, especially for kids under 16 to watch, whether it's shows like Brain Games or Weird But True to the Muppets, the Disney Animation catalog, etc.

I'd never seen Weird But True until last month and my 8 year old is hooked, so we watch an episode per night. It's a really fun show because they do everything from science experiments to survival tips in Alaska, and the hosts are young and energetic.

Both my kids spend very little time watching any shows these days, son 14 and daughter 11 (tomorrow). Both game with their friends in pretty much all their free time.

We I rotate our streaming subscriptions based on what my wife and I are interested in watching. If we clear out everything we wanted to see, I cancel the subscription until new content is out, and we've exhausted options on what we are actually watching on other subs.

htismaqe 10-22-2020 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15264194)

It's funny. My girls are 16 and 19 now.

They stopped watching "TV" years ago. My youngest' viewing consists of TikTok, Youtube, Instagram, and iFunny. Also Vine when it was a thing.

My wife and my mother-in-law drive almost 100% of our streaming consumption.

Deberg_1990 10-22-2020 01:14 PM

My kids watch ZERO cable tv.

if they watch anything its Netflix or youtube. occasionally Disney+

htismaqe 10-22-2020 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 15266324)
My kids watch ZERO cable tv.

if they watch anything its Netflix or youtube. occasionally Disney+

Yeah, my kids don't even watch Netflix or Disney+.

They used to watch Disney Channel like 10 years ago but that's about it.

Deberg_1990 11-14-2021 08:44 AM

It’s happening!

https://youtu.be/CPqk9k91TEk

Fish 05-26-2022 06:56 PM

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tbbveDpUZv4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sure-Oz 05-26-2022 10:13 PM

This looks great

Buehler445 05-27-2022 12:10 AM

The Brownies are back. I’m in.

I loved this shit as a kid. Wife put it on recently. Didn’t age well but wasn’t the worse. I’ll watch this.

Fish 09-13-2022 11:21 AM

Warwick Davis, man. Dude is ageless..

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DJjAU798ulo" title="Willow - Official Trailer (2022) Warwick Davis | D23 Expo 2022" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigRichard 09-13-2022 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 16460755)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DJjAU798ulo" title="Willow - Official Trailer (2022) Warwick Davis | D23 Expo 2022" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This actually looks pretty good.

ToxSocks 09-13-2022 12:36 PM

I have a child hood hate for Willow that has carried over into adult hood.

Sure-Oz 09-13-2022 12:54 PM

This looks so good

hometeam 09-14-2022 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 16460955)
I have a child hood hate for Willow that has carried over into adult hood.

YOU GET WILLOW UFGOODS NAME OUT OF YOUR MOUTH HES A SAINT

DJ's left nut 09-14-2022 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 16460755)

Well I'll be damned - that looks pretty good!

And I have no real fond memories of Willow either. Kinda remember just being mostly annoyed by Warwick Davis's voice and the redhead chick making me feel kinda funny in my stomach...

Fish 09-14-2022 03:18 PM

I really liked the idea of the original Willow. But I thought the movie itself was pretty underwhelming. Surprised how decent this looks.

Buehler445 09-14-2022 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 16463155)
I really liked the idea of the original Willow. But I thought the movie itself was pretty underwhelming. Surprised how decent this looks.

You must be older than me. I was a kid when I saw it and I was all in on the Mad Mardigan stuff (which has aged....we'll call it poorly), not so much the magic and shit, but the swords, I was there, man.

Buehler445 09-14-2022 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16463129)
Well I'll be damned - that looks pretty good!

And I have no real fond memories of Willow either. Kinda remember just being mostly annoyed by Warwick Davis's voice and the redhead chick making me feel kinda funny in my stomach...

Ahhhh, Sorsha. That's the only time I've ever wanted to get kicked in the face. ROFL

Fish 09-14-2022 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 16463770)
You must be older than me. I was a kid when I saw it and I was all in on the Mad Mardigan stuff (which has aged....we'll call it poorly), not so much the magic and shit, but the swords, I was there, man.

I've always been a goofy scifi nerd, so I definitely enjoyed it back in the day. I just thought it could have been so much better. I felt they nerfed Willow in a weird way that was basically dictated by the running plot line, and it came off as weak and inconsistent. I don't know, it was cool and weird. But unfulfilling..

Buehler445 09-14-2022 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 16463775)
I've always been a goofy scifi nerd, so I definitely enjoyed it back in the day. I just thought it could have been so much better. I felt they nerfed Willow in a weird way that was basically dictated by the running plot line, and it came off as weak and inconsistent. I don't know, it was cool and weird. But unfulfilling..

Fair enough.

mr. tegu 09-15-2022 07:45 AM

I’ve never heard of this.

listopencil 09-17-2022 07:36 AM

Nope. Not gonna watch it. Too many white people.

BigRichard 09-18-2022 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 16471660)
Nope. Not gonna watch it. Too many white people.

We will probably find out it was Willow's wife who was behind all of the powerful magic of Willow and only she will be able to save the day.

Fish 12-01-2022 01:16 PM

First 2 episodes are out. It's OKish.

srvy 12-01-2022 05:07 PM

I am suspicious of anything House Mouse + anymore. I'd can it if not for my son and daughter getting some good out of it.

Buehler445 12-01-2022 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 16637906)
I am suspicious of anything House Mouse + anymore. I'd can it if not for my son and daughter getting some good out of it.

Before you shitcan it, watch Andor. Even if you don't give a **** about Star Wars, watch Andor.

Mosbonian 12-03-2022 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 16637478)
First 2 episodes are out. It's OKish.

You are giving it more credit than I will...

I had some hopes that Disney might not make a mess like they have lately. But the first 2 episodes aren't giving me any reason to hold out hope.

lawrenceRaider 12-04-2022 12:42 PM

Watched the first episode. More cringe than 13 year old girls being forced to talk to 13 year old boys.

End of the episode made me consider watching episode 2.

Tribal Warfare 01-13-2023 01:31 PM

It's ok,a few issues that you want to avoid little kids watching concerning lesbian interactions. The finale's end scene was badass

DJ's left nut 01-13-2023 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 16731679)
It's ok,a few issues that you want to avoid little kids watching concerning lesbian interactions. The finale's end scene was badass

They're really gonna go ahead and have Kit and Jade go straight up lesbian, eh?

{sigh}

Well, at least they didn't telegraph it from the very first scene or anything. I'm like 4 episodes in - it ain't great. The trailer definitely made it look better than it was.

And I guess there's a reason Warwick Davis didn't have the cultural cache of Peter Dinklage. Dinklage is a fantastic actor who's a dwarf. Davis is a Dwarf who acts because they needed a dwarf. He actually pretty much sucks at it.

ToxSocks 01-13-2023 02:38 PM

I'm happy to hear this show is garbage. Cancel this spawn of satan!

DJ's left nut 01-13-2023 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 16731804)
I'm happy to hear this show is garbage. Cancel this spawn of satan!

'Garbage' is strong.

I mean, it's better than Obi-Wan...

Now THAT was garbage. Why couldn't they have put the effort into it that they put into Andor?

It's just so damn blatant when they half-ass one of these things.

Tribal Warfare 01-13-2023 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16731786)
They're really gonna go ahead and have Kit and Jade go straight up lesbian, eh?

{sigh}

Yep full on lesbian action, I'd keep little kids away unless you want to have a " discussion" why girls are making out with each other.

They also blatantly stole a Young Guns Lou Diamond Phillips quote too

Third Eye 01-17-2023 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 16731961)
Yep full on lesbian action, I'd keep little kids away unless you want to have a " discussion" why girls are making out with each other.

They also blatantly stole a Young Guns Lou Diamond Phillips quote too

Do we really still live in a world where a girl kissing a girl warrants a “discussion”? Also, why are we putting “discussion” in quotes?

Tribal Warfare 01-19-2023 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 16742926)
Do we really still live in a world where a girl kissing a girl warrants a “discussion”? Also, why are we putting “discussion” in quotes?

Yes, for children who are 5-8 years old which would trickle down to the sex talk or Birds and the Bees.

DJ's left nut 01-22-2023 11:35 AM

Watched the 'cursed castle' episode on Friday - that was the best episode so far by far. Actually pretty decent.

Here's hoping it continues trending in that direction because 3 more episodes like that and it can reasonably be salvaged as a solid series.

MarkDavis'Haircut 01-22-2023 01:09 PM

Everything must be ruined nowadays with wokeness.