ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Updates regarding the 17 Game Schedule in 2021 from Peter King (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=337278)

FloridaMan88 03-01-2021 10:27 AM

Updates regarding the 17 Game Schedule in 2021 from Peter King

From his column today:

Link: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ia-peter-king/

Quote:

- The 17-game schedule is highly likely in 2021. No surprise there. TV partners and NFL schedulers are working under the assumption that the 17-game schedule (the way was paved for it last March when players approved a new CBA) will debut in 2021.

- The league calendar gets pushed back one week, with a likely Feb. 13 Super Bowl in Los Angeles. No extra bye—17 games in 18 weekends. Super Bowl LVI, originally scheduled for Feb. 6, 2022 and airing on NBC, has not been officially moved yet. The league hasn’t said a word about moving the game to officials in Los Angeles. But the NFL won’t start the season on the ratings-quashing Labor Day Weekend, and the league doesn’t want to add an extra regular-season bye week. So that adds up to Feb. 13, which would be the latest Super Bowl in history.

- The best game of 2021, Aaron Rodgers versus Patrick Mahomes, is on track. Really, only one game in 2021 would rival Green Bay-Kansas City. That’s Tampa Bay at New England, with Tom Brady’s return to Foxboro. Pittsburgh at Green Bay is interesting too, with the very likely last meeting of Ben Roethlisberger and Rodgers. Brady in Foxboro is great theater, of course. But Rodgers-Mahomes is a much better game, with two passers at the peak of their powers.

- A note about how the league configured the extra game: When the NFL was choosing options, the formula that prevailed—follow me now—was AFC versus NFC, cross-conference matchup from two years ago, 2021 matchup based on 2020 standings. Now that you’re totally confused, here’s an example: The four AFC West teams played the four NFC North teams in 2019. In 2020, Kansas City finished in first place in the AFC West, Green Bay first in the NFC North. So in 2021, it’s AFC West against NFC North, and 1-versus-1 from ‘20 becomes Green Bay versus Kansas City. I will bet you a Kroll’s West cheeseburger with an ice-cold Spotted Cow that the networks will brawl over this ratings-gold game. This game alone is reason enough for the league to rush the 17th game onto the 2021 schedule.

- Hearing it’s most likely to be AFC hosting all 16 newly invented games in 2021. Then NFC teams hosting in 2022. If that’s how it goes, it’s the fairest way. Competitive equity is the key. You don’t want three NFC East teams playing eight at home and the fourth playing nine at home.

htismaqe 03-01-2021 10:30 AM

Tampa / New England would be a terrible football game. It's not even close to the matchup of KC / GB.

alpha_omega 03-01-2021 10:30 AM

Thanks for the update...still don't like it.

FloridaMan88 03-01-2021 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15567675)
Tampa / New England would be a terrible football game. It's not even close to the matchup of KC / GB.

The only drama would be to see when/if Brady/Belichick embrace each other postgame.

Rain Man 03-01-2021 10:32 AM

I really don't need a 17th game. In fact, I don't even want one.

Shag 03-01-2021 10:50 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">every team&#39;s 17th game in 2021<br><br>SEA at PIT<br>LAR at BAL<br>ARI at CLE<br>SF at CIN<br><br>GB at KC<br>CHI at LV<br>MIN at LAC<br>DET at DEN<br><br>WFT at BUF<br>NYG at MIA<br>DAL at NE<br>PHI at NYJ<br><br>NO at TEN<br>TB at IND<br>CAR at HOU<br>ATL at JAX<br><br>*per Peter King who says a 17th game is &quot;highly likely&quot; in be added in 2021</p>&mdash; Warren Sharp (@SharpFootball) <a href="https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1366402919613034497?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 1, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

htismaqe 03-01-2021 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 15567682)

You're going to get one. The NFL doesn't care what YOU want.

FloridaMan88 03-01-2021 10:53 AM

Carolina at Houston if Watson ends up getting traded to the Panthers will have some intrigue.

louie aguiar 03-01-2021 10:54 AM

Quote:

I agree- not a fan of 17 games. Seems like a shameless money grab.

DaneMcCloud 03-01-2021 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15567738)

It's a damn shame, too.

As much as I enjoy the NBA playoffs from April-June, I'll rarely tune into a regular season game, unless it's just an amazing matchup between two of the top 6 teams in the NBA, because they play 82 games in a season, which is just too many games, IMO, to determine the top 16 of 30 teams.

Now, the NFL is going to have 17 regular season games, in addition to three rounds of playoff games featuring 14 of 32 teams, in order to determine a champion? That's insane. The old system of 12 teams was just fine.

Plus, the good teams stand to lose more than the bad teams in a 17 game season with 7 playoff teams per conference.

It's much easier for a great team to stumble than it is for a middling team to win an "upset" but when you're designing the season AND the playoffs for upsets, why even bother watching until the playoffs?

wazu 03-01-2021 11:10 AM

I hate that they are pushing the season later. Go earlier when the weather isn't complete shit for half the country. If it's about Labor Day weekend, just make that weekend a bye after week 1. Or better yet play 2 games before Labor Day and actually move the end of season schedule up a week.

htismaqe 03-01-2021 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15567777)
It's a damn shame, too.

As much as I enjoy the NBA playoffs from April-June, I'll rarely tune into a regular season game, unless it's just an amazing matchup between two of the top 6 teams in the NBA, because they play 82 games in a season, which is just too many games, IMO, to determine the top 16 of 30 teams.

Now, the NFL is going to have 17 regular season games, in addition to three rounds of playoff games featuring 14 of 32 teams, in order to determine a champion? That's insane. The old system of 12 teams was just fine.

Plus, the good teams stand to lose more than the bad teams in a 17 game season with 7 playoff teams per conference.

It's much easier for a great team to stumble than it is for a middling team to win an "upset" but when you're designing the season AND the playoffs for upsets, why even bother watching until the playoffs?

Yep.

Much like basketball (you talked about the NBA, but NCAA is similar) they're moving towards 2 seasons. One season for everybody, and another season just for the good teams. Wait until they expand the playoffs again.

morphius 03-01-2021 11:26 AM

It is hard enough keeping people healthy to the playoff's, adding another game makes it even more difficult. Plus the current schedule sort of makes sense. Right now there are 2 games difference between you and everyone in your division that are set up to help balance the scale for the lower finishing team from the previous year. Do we really need a third? Plus it means that there is a more likely chance that you will play the team in the regular season once before you see them in the SB.

Mecca 03-01-2021 11:28 AM

You have to see the long game here. The eventual goal of all this is simple. 18 games, 18 games works because it makes expansion easier. The easy number you get with 18 games is 40 teams.

With that you probably get 2 byes a year, expanded playoffs etc. With that plan you lengthen the season and increase profit by alot.

It's about money.

Deberg_1990 03-01-2021 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 15567797)
It is hard enough keeping people healthy to the playoff's, adding another game makes it even more difficult. Plus the current schedule sort of makes sense. Right now there are 2 games difference between you and everyone in your division that are set up to help balance the scale for the lower finishing team from the previous year. Do we really need a third? Plus it means that there is a more likely chance that you will play the team in the regular season once before you see them in the SB.

We are getting very near to ‘load managing’ in the NFL.

Who cares about September and October games?

I’ll take a healthy team in December and January over winning home field advantage anyday. See Tampa Bay.

Coochie liquor 03-01-2021 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 15567732)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">every team&#39;s 17th game in 2021<br><br>SEA at PIT<br>LAR at BAL<br>ARI at CLE<br>SF at CIN<br><br>GB at KC<br>CHI at LV<br>MIN at LAC<br>DET at DEN<br><br>WFT at BUF<br>NYG at MIA<br>DAL at NE<br>PHI at NYJ<br><br>NO at TEN<br>TB at IND<br>CAR at HOU<br>ATL at JAX<br><br>*per Peter King who says a 17th game is &quot;highly likely&quot; in be added in 2021</p>&mdash; Warren Sharp (@SharpFootball) <a href="https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1366402919613034497?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 1, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Every AFC team plays at home the last week?

tyecopeland 03-01-2021 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coochie liquor (Post 15567804)

I dont think theybare just throwing all these at the end. Id imagine they are going to mix them in somewhere.

CoMoChief 03-01-2021 11:44 AM

They'll put DAL @ NE on prime time, because ya know....**** the fans.

Mecca 03-01-2021 11:46 AM

I fully expect in 20 years we'll talk about how the NFL has a 22 week regular season, expanded playoffs and his the season starts in August and ends in March.

Deberg_1990 03-01-2021 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15567819)
I fully expect in 20 years we'll talk about how the NFL has a 22 week regular season, expanded playoffs and his the season starts in August and ends in March.

Roster sizes to jump to 85 players like the NCAA?

Mecca 03-01-2021 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 15567844)
Roster sizes to jump to 85 players like the NCAA?

I think they'll increase, it's an easy way to get the union on board, more jobs. It's why the union loves expansion.

morphius 03-01-2021 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 15567800)

I’ll take a healthy team in December and January over winning home field advantage anyday. See Tampa Bay.

Yup, we could end up with teams resting start players a bit more often to lower their risk. I doubt it will happen with one game, but the next logical step will be adding 2 or 3 more games, either play all equal seeds in the other conference or play another full division in your own conference.

Deberg_1990 03-01-2021 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15567849)
I think they'll increase, it's an easy way to get the union on board, more jobs. It's why the union loves expansion.

They will almost certainly have to increase. I guess they did this year right?

And yes teams will have to think about managing playing time amongst certain players.

Which would lead to lower quality games. But the NFL doesn’t care about that.

DaneMcCloud 03-01-2021 12:16 PM

With legalized sports betting coming to all US states by 2025, the NFL won't give a shit about its onfield product and will relish in an NCAA-style tournament to end their season because their revenue stream will increase exponentially.

So much for "The good of the game".

KChiefs1 03-01-2021 01:19 PM

Quote:

Me neither.

I want 18 games.

KChiefs1 03-01-2021 01:21 PM

Quote:

why even bother watching until the playoffs?

So I assume you don’t like watching football.

displacedinMN 03-01-2021 02:08 PM

Quote:

It's a damn shame, too.

NBA and NHL seasons are too long now. Adding time to the NFL seems just dumb.

Hog's Gone Fishin 03-01-2021 02:23 PM

We already get to watch the Chiefs play 19 games a year.

Now it's gonna B 20

Why Not? 03-01-2021 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coochie liquor (Post 15567804)

Yes. The plan, at least according to King, is to alternate 17th week hosting by conference. So AFC in 2021, NFC in 2022 and so on. Whether that sticks or they actually eliminate inter divisional games during the final week, I guess we’ll see.

GoForIt 03-01-2021 02:39 PM

Eventually the bye will go away too once they expand the playoffs to 16 teams.

Chief Pagan 03-01-2021 02:58 PM

They are going to intentionally bump the SB one week later at this late date?

I would think people that have booked flights and hotel rooms already might be a bit annoyed ?

Mecca 03-01-2021 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoForIt (Post 15568114)
Eventually the bye will go away too once they expand the playoffs to 16 teams.

I disagree if anything I could see them adding byes to extend the season, more weeks more tv money.

Why Not? 03-01-2021 03:02 PM

It’s the NFL. They’ll do whatever they want. We’ll complain about it and come the first week of September through the second week of February, we’ll all be on the couch.

DaneMcCloud 03-01-2021 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 15568000)
So I assume you don’t like watching football.

I've had Sunday Ticket since 2003 so you're wrong, as usual, once again.

DaneMcCloud 03-01-2021 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 15568068)
NBA and NHL seasons are too long now. Adding time to the NFL seems just dumb.

I wouldn't mind it so much if there weren't so many truly bad football teams. I mean, the very first year the NFL decides to expand the playoffs, a team made it with a sub .500 record, which is utterly ridiculous.

I watch the NFL to see great games and matchups, not so I can see shit teams like the Lions, Jets, Jaguars, Bears, Giants, et al, upset a great team.

One more regular season game will not only dilute the talent on field due to injuries but the overall quality play will decrease, not increase, because there's only so much trauma the human body can endure without breaking down.

And it's going to totally **** the record books.

displacedinMN 03-01-2021 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15568164)
I wouldn't mind it so much if there weren't so many truly bad football teams. I mean, the very first year the NFL decides to expand the playoffs, a team made it with a sub .500 record, which is utterly ridiculous.

I watch the NFL to see great games and matchups, not so I can see shit teams like the Lions, Jets, Jaguars, Bears, Giants, et al, upset a great team.

1 more regular season game will not only dilute the talent on field due to injuries but the overall quality play will decrease, not increase, because there's only so much trauma the human body can endure without breaking down.

Nice.

Also, with the injury thing. Would they consider adding more to the roster and upping the cap.

Or is that diluting the product?

DaneMcCloud 03-01-2021 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 15568168)
Nice.

Also, with the injury thing. Would they consider adding more to the roster and upping the cap.

Or is that diluting the product?

Well, the NFL increased the Practice Squad from 10 to 16 due to COVID this past season and allowed teams to call up guys due to injury without forcing them to go on waivers in order to return to the PS.

But as we all saw, there was a shortage of available offensive lineman and I don't recall any Practice Squad players on any team making a huge breakthrough. So yeah, I expect the product to be diluted because there is a limited number of men who can play in the NFL with even average competitiveness.

Good depth is going to be of paramount importance, which isn't exactly easy...

htismaqe 03-01-2021 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15567888)
With legalized sports betting coming to all US states by 2025, the NFL won't give a shit about its onfield product and will relish in an NCAA-style tournament to end their season because their revenue stream will increase exponentially.

So much for "The good of the game".

Yep.

HemiEd 03-01-2021 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15567799)

It's about money.

That is all you needed to say

tyecopeland 03-01-2021 04:38 PM

Quote:

To be fair, even without expanded playoffs that sub .500 team was making the playoffs.

Gary Cooper 03-01-2021 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15567675)

Here's the million dollar question. Will this game (or any game) be in front of a sold out stadium? If not, Tom Brady returning to Boston doesn't mean as much.

Mecca 03-01-2021 04:41 PM

You guys are gonna be so pissed when they expand out to 40 teams.

Deberg_1990 03-01-2021 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyecopeland (Post 15568265)
To be fair, even without expanded playoffs that sub .500 team was making the playoffs.

Yea, the whole thing is out of whack already. There were 3 teams better than the Washington football club left out of the playoffs.

DaneMcCloud 03-01-2021 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyecopeland (Post 15568265)

Well, that's true because they won their division.

But it still sucks and perfectly illustrates why an expanded playoff format only hurts the better teams.

The NFL should seed the playoffs based on record, not "Divisional Champ" but it'll probably never happen.

BigRedChief 03-01-2021 04:51 PM

I thought if they got a 17 game schedule the players got a 2nd bye? So you push the super Bowl back another week? WTF if going to clash with the SB in Feb.? It’s sports dead time.

BigRedChief 03-01-2021 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JudasRising20 (Post 15568267)
Here's the million dollar question. Will this game (or any game) be in front of a sold out stadium? If not, Tom Brady returning to Boston doesn't mean as much.

Everyone who wants a vaccine will have had a chance to get one by the first NFL game in Sept. I expect full stadiums. But..... may have to prove you have been vaccinated?

Azide22 03-01-2021 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15567738)

Yep, was same for 7th team in playoffs. Don't like it, they don't care. Why not just go to 8 for crying out loud. We already know they'd go to 18 regular season games if they could.

Azide22 03-01-2021 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 15568292)
I thought if they got a 17 game schedule the players got a 2nd bye? So you push the super Bowl back another week? WTF if going to clash with the SB in Feb.? It’s sports dead time.

NBA All-Star game? Yeah, I don't care either.

ROYC75 03-01-2021 05:23 PM

Quote:

That it is, ALL STATS ARE IN PLAY TO BE BROKEN, AGAIN! :shake:

ChiefsCountry 03-01-2021 06:16 PM

Chiefs Planet circa 1978 damn NFL why you switching to a 16 game schedule.

Molitoth 03-01-2021 06:38 PM

and there goes the record books...

FloridaMan88 03-01-2021 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 15568292)

2022 Winter Olympics are supposed to start February 4, 2022... and NBC is scheduled to broadcast the Super Bowl and the Olympics.

IowaHawkeyeChief 03-01-2021 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 15567800)

There's no way Tampa wins all those road games with full stands... The were lucky as **** to win against NO and GB, even the WFT gave them a game. They then got lucky with the Chiefs losing Fisher, Brit Reid and the officials...

I will take home field all day long in a normal season, last year was the exception.

dlphg9 03-01-2021 08:50 PM

Hmmm don't like the 17 games at all, but silver lining...

Now we can see what Patrick can do when playing 16 full games instead of sitting week 17 he will probably play and then can sit week 18.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 03-01-2021 08:52 PM

They may have to consider letting teams make substitutions or a certain number of time outs for it. The game will stretch out

HayWire 03-01-2021 08:55 PM

Quote:

Yep. Never thought Id say it but it's becoming even more watered down.

alanm 03-01-2021 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 15567732)
<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" class="" style="position: static; visibility: visible; width: 506px; height: 743px; display: block; flex-grow: 1;" title="Twitter Tweet" src="https://platform.twitter.com/embed/Tweet.html?dnt=false&embedId=twitter-widget-0&frame=false&hideCard=false&hideThread=false&id=1366402919613034497&lang=en&origin=https%3A%2F%2Fww w.chiefsplanet.com%2FBB%2Fnewreply.php%3Fdo%3Dnewreply%26p%3D15567732&theme=light&widgetsVersion=889 aa01%3A1612811843556&width=550px" data-tweet-id="1366402919613034497" frameborder="0"></iframe>
<script async="" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I sure as hell hope KC doesn't play Green Bay week 17. Hell they couldn't be that stupid with the chance both QB's are sitting out.<iframe scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.6e189c4f2b6d88c453045806323cdcf3.html?origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.chiefsplanet.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe" frameborder="0"></iframe>

staylor26 03-01-2021 09:21 PM

So ****ing stupid

RunKC 03-01-2021 09:25 PM

Unfortunately it will be a Chad Henne and backup game. That I’m sure.

But really these players need to demand a 2nd bye week being added to the schedule. One in the first half of the season and one in the second half.

Would really help, especially with rookies.

Halfcan 03-01-2021 11:11 PM

The NFL can go **** itself after that SB scam. WWE has more credibility.

Hog's Gone Fishin 03-02-2021 12:31 AM

Mahomes will be the first QB to hit 6000 yards in a single season.

BossChief 03-02-2021 01:39 AM

Will the added game being the salary cap up?

htismaqe 03-02-2021 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 15568685)

Well to be sure, the added game was part of the broadcasting rights negations, as were any discussions of adding an 18th game (or more) so indirectly, I would guess the answer is "yes".

KChiefs1 03-02-2021 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15568160)
I've had Sunday Ticket since 2003 so you're wrong, as usual, once again.

So more football is bad huh? :thumb:

KChiefs1 03-02-2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 15568394)
Chiefs Planet circa 1978 damn NFL why you switching to a 16 game schedule.

I know...what a bunch of ****ing morons. :facepalm:

KChiefs1 03-02-2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 15568685)

More $$$$$$$ for everyone!

It's bad though. :thumb:

Deberg_1990 03-02-2021 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 15568676)
Mahomes will be the first QB to hit 6000 yards in a single season.

Good lord I hope not. That would mean he’s playing way too much, throwing too much and the defense and run game sucks.

jjkrueg 03-02-2021 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanm (Post 15568582)
I sure as hell hope KC doesn't play Green Bay week 17. Hell they couldn't be that stupid with the chance both QB's are sitting out.<iframe scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/widget_iframe.6e189c4f2b6d88c453045806323cdcf3.html?origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.chiefsplanet.com" title="Twitter settings iframe" style="display: none;" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe" frameborder="0"></iframe>

It’s a 17th game, doesn’t mean it’s week 17.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk