ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Soparanos prequel movie trailer (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=338903)

BigRedChief 06-30-2021 07:45 AM

Soparanos prequel movie trailer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cmVzBtesqA0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CoMoChief 06-30-2021 08:50 AM

yes please

Mennonite 06-30-2021 10:05 AM

lol Talk about striking while the iron is hot.

Otter 06-30-2021 10:12 AM

I will be the first to hack this and make sure it's available for every person with an internet connection to steal. The parasites just keep sucking.</br></br>It was a great series, let it be.

InChiefsHeaven 06-30-2021 10:15 AM

That kid looks just like a young Gandalfini though...

Mennonite 06-30-2021 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven (Post 15726531)

Yeah, but can he breathe like he has a box of Triscuits in his nose?

Otter 06-30-2021 10:23 AM

Lord of the Rings IV: Zombie Gandalf vs Zombie Frodo </br></br>AKA (I suck and have no original thought)

Dayze 06-30-2021 10:35 AM

Quote:

it's his real life son, I think

CoMoChief 06-30-2021 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 15726551)
it's his real life son, I think

I just read that today. Didn't know this wow.

Got daddy's eyebrows and orbital structure

BigRedChief 06-30-2021 02:17 PM

Quote:

Maybe because thats his real life son playing young Dad in the movie?

BigRedChief 06-30-2021 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 15726527)
I will be the first to hack this and make sure it's available for every person with an internet connection to steal. The parasites just keep sucking.

It was a great series, let it be.

On this we can agree.

Every one of those shitty fast and furious movies are still making $1 billion or more. Why do they have to touch one of the best TV series of all time? The studio thinks its going to make $1 billion on this too?

DaneMcCloud 06-30-2021 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 15726991)
On this we can agree.

Every one of those shitty fast and furious movies are still making $1 billion or more. Why do they have to touch one of the best TV series of all time? The studio thinks its going to make $1 billion on this too?

The writer/producer, David Chase, had been planning to do more seasons of The Sopranos at some point but after James Gandolfini's death, that idea was over. The new seasons would have been about Tony not actually dying but turning FBI informant. The series would have been about Tony and his family dealing with the fallout from that decision.

Since that couldn't happen, he decide to do a prequel movie centered around a young Tony Soprano, in this case, played by Gandolfini's actual son.

I doubt the film will break $50 million at the box office, so in reality, it's just a way to jump start another HBO series.

Deberg_1990 06-30-2021 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 15726991)
On this we can agree.

I can tell from the trailer it’s going to be high quality.

I highly doubt the expectations are a billion dollar franchise like the F&F movies.

notorious 06-30-2021 06:27 PM

I hope this is great.

Wallcrawler 07-01-2021 07:23 AM

Never watched the series, outside of a death montage on youtube. So knowing absolutely **** all about the source material, this trailer still looks like a movie I would absolutely pay to see.

notorious 07-01-2021 06:05 PM

Christopher's dad is going to be a center character.

Nice.

I bet that quick scene of Tony banging a chick is him with Charmaine. LMAO

DaneMcCloud 07-01-2021 09:23 PM

I have somewhat of a "Wish List" with this film, especially considering that Alan Taylor directed this film. He directed the episode in which Janice kills Richie Aprile, so I won't be surprised when this film is bloody and shocking.

Considering the film spans the 60's and 70's, I'm hoping we see Ralph Cifaretto cross paths with Tony, just to see Tony kick the living shit out of him one more time.

Joey Pants freaking nailed that role. I think I was literally cheering when Tony killed him.

LMAO

Corey Stoll should make for a great Uncle June, too.

The Franchise 07-01-2021 09:45 PM

I’ve never watched The Sopranos so I don’t have an opinion.

Tribal Warfare 07-01-2021 09:51 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AYGNqUWcOCs" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now if Gandolfini's kid can exude him like this, it'll be awesome

BigRedChief 07-01-2021 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15727082)
The writer/producer, David Chase, had been planning to do more seasons of The Sopranos at some point but after James Gandolfini's death, that idea was over. The new seasons would have been about Tony not actually dying but turning FBI informant. The series would have been about Tony and his family dealing with the fallout from that decision.

OMG that would have been a horrible idea. Stupid TV idea. Bad guys are good or good guys are bad this season.

After he left us wondering whether Tony was alive or dead in that last shot. That was one of the worse endings on TV until GOT season 8 took the title.

Fishpicker 07-01-2021 10:26 PM

I watched Sopranos over and over. I go back and watch episodes still. I have to say that the Sopranos was only great for the first season. Once Nancy Marchand (Livia Soprano) died, the series was merely very good. So I think the prequel can reinvigorate the Sopranos franchise so long as Vera Farmiga and Gandolfini can convincingly antagonize one another.

what role is Joey Diaz playing? anybody know?

BigRedChief 07-01-2021 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 15727189)
I can tell from the trailer it’s going to be high quality.

I highly doubt the expectations are a billion dollar franchise like the F&F movies.

I wasn’t saying it’s going to make a billion $. As long as these reboots or next one in franchises keep making bank, they are going to keep making or remaking the popular stuff we liked at one time.

If this movie is popular, there will be a reboot of the Sopranos except set in this new movie era. And I’m guilty too. If the movie is good, I’ll give the TV series a long look.

Fishpicker 07-01-2021 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 15728749)
he left us wondering

did he?

DaneMcCloud 07-01-2021 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 15728749)
OMG that would have been a horrible idea. Stupid TV idea. Bad guys are good or good guys are bad this season.

After he left us wondering whether Tony was alive or dead in that last shot. That was one of the worse endings on TV until GOT season 8 took the title.

I think it would have been pretty freaking amazing to see how Tony and Carmela Soprano would handle being shipped off to Wisconsin and forced to change their identities and deal with the aftermath of turning on everything and everyone they ever cared about and loved.

The dramatic tension would have been insane and there's no way that Tony would have been able to contain himself - he'd lose it at some point, which would have been awesome and cause even more problems and headache.

Outside of My Blue Heaven, which was a comedy, I really can't think of another film or TV series that dealt with the aftereffects of turning against the Mafia and Tony Soprano's story could have been awesome.

Fishpicker 07-01-2021 10:30 PM

you ever seen My Blue Heaven?

DaneMcCloud 07-01-2021 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpicker (Post 15728759)
you ever seen My Blue Heaven?

Saw it in the theater back in the day but it was a comedy, not a serious drama like Sopranos.

Actually, I'm not even sure I'd call it a comedy because to me, it wasn't very funny (and I love Steve Martin).

ThaVirus 07-02-2021 09:22 AM

It's kind of interesting that I keep reading the sentiment that the show was only truly great for season 1 and went downhill from there. I loved it pretty much the whole way through.

Mennonite 07-02-2021 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 15728969)
It's kind of interesting that I keep reading the sentiment that the show was only truly great for season 1 and went downhill from there. I loved it pretty much the whole way through.

Like I said before, the biggest two issues were that the best characters kept getting killed off without good replacements and the fact that the show started to feel repetitive. The basic concept of a guy dealing with panic attacks due to family problems (both "families") is great but it ran it's course. First Tony has a panic attack due to the geese in his pond migrating which is cool. But then he starts having panic attacks about deli meat. You're retreading the same ground in a very silly way while treating it as a very serious situation. And we also had handful of plots where a new mob guy shows up, causes Tony problems for a season and gets whacked in that year's final episode. It's a fine plot, but they went to the well too many times.

Edit: Am I wrong or was the "Don't Stop Believing" ending intended to drum up enthusiasm for a feature film follow-up back in the day?

notorious 07-02-2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15728699)
I have somewhat of a "Wish List" with this film, especially considering that Alan Taylor directed this film. He directed the episode in which Janice kills Richie Aprile, so I won't be surprised when this film is bloody and shocking.

Considering the film spans the 60's and 70's, I'm hoping we see Ralph Cifaretto cross paths with Tony, just to see Tony kick the living shit out of him one more time.

Joey Pants freaking nailed that role. I think I was literally cheering when Tony killed him.

LMAO

Corey Stoll should make for a great Uncle June, too.

My favorite side character of the show, and that's saying a lot.

"She was a ****in' Whooo-waa!"

I thought Ralph, Jackie, and Tony had their own little crew when they were kids? Ralph missed robbing the card game because he " caught the clap from a hippie broad he was ****in. His dick was dripping like a busted pipe.". LMAO

And this scene.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qx7ePvsdZEU" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mennonite 07-02-2021 10:39 AM

Of all the crimes Ralph Cifaretto committed, stealing the hair of Jonathan Taylor Thomas may have been the worst.

notorious 07-02-2021 10:40 AM

It ended up being a wig, so you might be right.

DaneMcCloud 07-02-2021 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 15728969)

Agreed.

It slowed down a bit after Tony went into a coma and I think the last two seasons could have been condensed into one, but that's really nitpicking at an otherwise amazing 86 episode run.

Sopranos is a top ten tv series of all time.

DaneMcCloud 07-02-2021 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 15729081)

The wig, LOL! I thought that was so great! It was almost as if the writers hated him, too!

LMAO

Mennonite 07-02-2021 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 15729081)

Yeah, he bought that with the money they were going to use to get Sloth's teeth fixed.

TwistedChief 07-02-2021 07:40 PM

I was a little late to The Sopranos and when I was binging it I had endless dreams that I was a target of a mob hit.

It's a seminal drama that ended on an uneven note. I've been waiting for this iteration for awhile and it'll be interesting to see how it ends up and whether there are any spinoffs.

And Carmela Soprano (Edie Falco) is my neighbor. Absolutely lovely and charming woman. And in real life she's friends with Janice Soprano (Aidia Turturro) who regularly watches her place, dogs, kids, etc.

Such good vibes when I think about that show and its cast.

Baby Lee 09-08-2021 11:34 AM

<iframe width="950" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d9Em4ckh878" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mennonite 09-14-2021 01:00 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TheSopranos?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#TheSopranos</a> creator David Chase says he is “extremely angry” with ‘MANY SAINTS OF NEWARK’ going day-&amp;-date on HBO Max.<br><br>“I don’t think, frankly that I would’ve taken the job if I knew it was going to be a day-and-date release. I think it’s awful.”<br><br>(Source: Deadline) <a href="https://t.co/AOlwWd8yYp">pic.twitter.com/AOlwWd8yYp</a></p>&mdash; DiscussingFilm (@DiscussingFilm) <a href="https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1437826600310120450?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 14, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pepe Silvia 09-14-2021 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 15729570)
I was a little late to The Sopranos and when I was binging it I had endless dreams that I was a target of a mob hit.

It's a seminal drama that ended on an uneven note. I've been waiting for this iteration for awhile and it'll be interesting to see how it ends up and whether there are any spinoffs.

And Carmela Soprano (Edie Falco) is my neighbor. Absolutely lovely and charming woman. And in real life she's friends with Janice Soprano (Aidia Turturro) who regularly watches her place, dogs, kids, etc.

Gabagool, OVA HERE.

Pepe Silvia 09-14-2021 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mennonite (Post 15729078)
Of all the crimes Ralph Cifaretto committed, stealing the hair of Jonathan Taylor Thomas may have been the worst.

I thought it looked more like David Spade. ROFL

scho63 09-14-2021 01:06 PM

I was born in Newark.

My Dad was in the middle of all this kind of shit.

Mennonite 09-14-2021 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 15833295)
I thought it looked more like David Spade. ROFL

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rOwNVmZxpww" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Baby Lee 09-14-2021 01:23 PM

Quote:

Man, she has gotten startlingly thin. Anyone catch her on the most recent What We Do in the Shadows?

Fishpicker 09-14-2021 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 15833285)
Gabagool, OVA HERE.

it took me like 12 years to figure what gob-a-goo was. I was already a fan of capicola too.

Otter 09-17-2021 02:58 PM

One of my favorite and funniest scenes

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zsxthFO-HWs" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

staylor26 09-17-2021 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 15838133)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zsxthFO-HWs" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One of the best scenes AND episodes easily.

Fun fact: Steve Buscemi directed it.

Pepe Silvia 09-19-2021 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 15838133)

Mix it with the relish.

SuperChief 09-21-2021 03:18 PM

Quote:

I'm a huge Sopranos fan, so I'm getting in the weeds a bit here:

One of the more interesting things I've seen is how seemingly "disconnected" Edie Falco and James Gandolfini were in real life. Every interview I've seen with her, especially those after his death, Edie's relationship with James seems waaaay different than what I would have expected, given their on-screen chemistry. Just goes to show you how talented she is as an actress.

Otter 09-21-2021 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 15840938)
Mix it with the relish.

Chris- "I'll leave you here you one shoe one who sucks the penis! You know how fast I can run, I'll leave you in the ****ing dust!"

Pepe Silvia 09-25-2021 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 15847609)

One of the more interesting things I've seen is how seemingly "disconnected" Edie Falco and James Gandolfini were in real life. Every interview I've seen with her, especially those after his death, Edie's relationship with James seems waaaay different than what I would have expected, given their on-screen chemistry. Just goes to show you how talented she is as an actress.

He mentioned in an interview years ago that he loved her a lot. I mean he went completely Gaga for her and said “he just loves that woman.”

TwistedChief 09-29-2021 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 15847609)

Edie used to drink a lot but then got sober and had difficulty interacting with the rest of the cast because they were pretty hard-charging in that respect. I imagine that's a large part of it.

I only learned the above through googling when we were getting gifts for our neighbors and had planned for champagne but switched to a nice floral arrangement instead!

Only two days before the prequel drops...

SuperChief 09-30-2021 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 15853213)
He mentioned in an interview years ago that he loved her a lot. I mean he went completely Gaga for her and said “he just loves that woman.”

I don't know much about their relationship from his perspective, so that's cool to hear. I was speaking mainly from her end of things. TC's perspective above ^ shines some good light there, thanks for that addition.

So stoked for the prequel. I'm powering through the series again (for the millionth time) in preparation.

notorious 10-01-2021 06:41 PM

We finally know. From David Chase himself:

Quote:

No matter what song we picked, I wanted it to be a song that would have been from Tony's high school years, or his youth ... When I wrote it, there were three songs in contention for this last song, and 'Don't Stop Believin'' was the one that seemed to work the best. I think it's a really good rock 'n' roll song. The music is very important to me in terms of the timing of the scene, the rhythm of the scene. The song dictates part of the pace. And having certain lyrics of the song, and certain instrumental flourishes happen in certain places, dictates what the cuts will be. I directed the scene to fit the song ... I felt that [Tony and Carmela] had taken the midnight train a long time ago. That is their life. It means that these people are looking for something inevitable. Something they couldn't find. I mean, they didn't become missionaries in Africa or go to college together or do anything like that. They took the midnight train going anywhere. And the midnight train, you know, is the dark train.
On family:

Meadow is filled with nothing but very, very deep emotions about parking her car. But possibly a minute later, her head will be filled with emotions she could never even imagine. We all take this stuff so seriously—losing our keys, parking our car, a winter cold, a summer cold, an allergy—whatever it is. And this stuff fills our mind from second to second, moment to moment. And the big moment is always out there waiting ...

A lot of the audience I gathered doesn't like A.J.; they think he's a useless, spoiled fool. But there's also something about him that is earnest. He's got his father's kind of questioning and kind of little boy innocence. When I see Tony reach across and grab his arm [when he arrives], it makes me feel really good. Not only that, I'll tell you who else is reaching across the table, that's Jim Gandolfini reaching across to Robert Iler in the last scene they're going to do together. I never talked about it with them, but I know for a fact.
On the final moment:

I said to Gandolfini, the bell rings and you look up. That last shot of Tony ends on 'don't stop,' it's mid-song. I'm not going to go into [if that's Tony's POV]. I thought the possibility would go through a lot of people's minds or maybe everybody's mind that he was killed. He might have gotten shot three years ago in that situation. But he didn't. Whether this is the end here, or not, it's going to come at some point for the rest of us. Hopefully we're not going to get shot by some rival gang mob or anything like that. I'm not saying that [happened]. But obviously he stood more of a chance of getting shot by a rival gang mob than you or I do because he put himself in that situation. All I know is the end is coming for all of us.

I thought the ending would be somewhat jarring, sure. But not to the extent it was, and not a subject of such discussion. I really had no idea about that. I never considered the black a shot. I just thought what we see is black. The ceiling I was going for at that point, the biggest feeling I was going for, honestly, was don't stop believing. It was very simple and much more on the nose than people think.

Halfcan 10-01-2021 09:51 PM

The Dickie story was pretty good. It had a young Tony Soprano in it for a few scenes as well. It left me wanting an entire series.

Dallas Chief 10-01-2021 10:18 PM

Really good. Brought back a lot of old feelings about the show.Hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did.

Gadzooks 10-01-2021 11:04 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d_5gxLBlnrs" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

underEJ 10-01-2021 11:24 PM

I enjoyed it too. Maybe not as much as the show which I loved from the very first episode. I am one of the few who actually really liked the ending. What’s it like to live knowing any open door is a potential hit? I needed 86 episodes (okay maybe they could have done it in 75) to actually understand the geese panic attack fully. I actually kind of felt the panic for him in that last scene. In this movie, Vera Farmiga was fantastic. Corey Stoll too. And little Gandolfini has so much of his dad in him. I liked the Dickie story but it wasn’t anywhere as ****ed up as Tony’s family story from the series. Perhaps the Junior interplay could have been stronger to meet the burden of that deep knowledge of Junior from the show. Dickie just seemed a bit shallow compared to the rest of the characters. Even Christopher as a baby has seasons of character development. Dickie seemed like an awesome guest star in an episode. It’s not a huge gripe. I really did enjoy it

BigRedChief 10-02-2021 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 15865815)
We finally know. From David Chase himself:

What the hell does that solve? We don't "finally" know shit. He did that on purpose. He wanted to leave it as he is dead, no he's not. All these years later he's still being ambiguous. As the creative guy, he can chose how he wants it to end. We get to tell him forever how much we hate his choice.

That wasn't a choice that needed to be made. We didn't need Tony to die or live happily ever after. He set it up with all the people coming in and out, the dramatic music swelling, Tony looking up, everyone seemingly happy, we are expecting something eventful to happen and then completely dark.

People thought their cable had went out because it was such a weird choice. They called their cable companies demanding to know how the show ended.

One of the worst choices ever to end a popular show.

Mennonite 10-02-2021 12:19 PM

I think he set it up the cliffhanger/non-ending to put pressure on HBO for a Soparanos movie.

BigBeauford 10-02-2021 06:01 PM

Sucked. Came for a Sopranos movie, and watched some weak social commentary on race relations.

MTG#10 10-02-2021 06:31 PM

It's getting shit on big time on Reddit. I enjoyed it for the most part, but can Hollywood produce one single script that doesn't revolve around how evil white people are? It's getting tiresome.

Easy 6 10-02-2021 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 15866843)
Sucked. Came for a Sopranos movie, and watched some weak social commentary on race relations.

Wha?

Really?

Mephistopheles Janx 10-02-2021 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15866865)
It's getting shit on big time on Reddit. I enjoyed it for the most part, but can Hollywood produce one single script that doesn't revolve around how evil white people are? It's getting tiresome.

Just one?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vw2FOYjCz38" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But perhaps you mean something new and not a long standing character?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X2m-08cOAbc" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But Janx... that is a Ryan Reynolds comedy, of course it won't be about how evil white people are!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-FmWuCgJmxo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ok Janx... I'm not talking about super hero movies. I'm talking about real films.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JVc8SI5CAKw" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Janx, Clint made that movie... not "Hollywood".

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Kd82bSBDE84" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

/all movies currently showing in theaters

cosmo20002 10-02-2021 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 15866426)
What the hell does that solve? We don't "finally" know shit. He did that on purpose. He wanted to leave it as he is dead, no he's not. All these years later he's still being ambiguous. As the creative guy, he can chose how he wants it to end. We get to tell him forever how much we hate his choice.

That wasn't a choice that needed to be made. We didn't need Tony to die or live happily ever after. He set it up with all the people coming in and out, the dramatic music swelling, Tony looking up, everyone seemingly happy, we are expecting something eventful to happen and then completely dark.

People thought their cable had went out because it was such a weird choice. They called their cable companies demanding to know how the show ended.

Agree. The ending was bullshit. It wasn't clever or creative. It was just lazy and dumb.

Easy 6 10-02-2021 07:16 PM

Beauford with that particular critique gives me genuine pause, think I'll rent it for $5 instead of paying full boat plus popcorn and sides

cosmo20002 10-02-2021 07:26 PM

Movie was ok...that's it.

Best parts were the Silvio and Paulie impressions from the guys playing the young versions.

I kept seeing all these articles touting the return of Ray Liotta to the mobster genre...
Spoiler!

Also, future mob movies should be banned from using Rolling Stones music. That's a Scorsese thing. He owns that.

MTG#10 10-03-2021 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx (Post 15866889)
Just one?

Okay, I was obviously exaggerating...but my point still remains. If you haven't noticed the trend the last few years you have your head in the sand.

And it's not just movies, it's shows as well...probably even moreso.

Mephistopheles Janx 10-03-2021 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15867324)
Okay, I was obviously exaggerating...but my point still remains. If you haven't noticed the trend the last few years you have your head in the sand.

I think I get you. You are done seeing white people portrayed in a negative light and would like to see them portrayed in a positive light and standing up for the little guy.

If you want to see white people being kind to others and being uplifted as good people:

The Help:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aT9eWGjLv6s" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Green Book:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QkZxoko_HC0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hidden Figures:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5wfrDhgUMGI" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigBeauford 10-03-2021 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 15866907)
Beauford with that particular critique gives me genuine pause, think I'll rent it for $5 instead of paying full boat plus popcorn and sides

It's on HBO Max if you have that service (might be the best streaming service). That said, it feels like a major bait and switch. Aside from my other critiques about this being a race commentary, this also feels like a Dickie origin story, and not a Tony one. The whole thing is superfluous and unnecessary, and feels like a complete waste. I know folks criticized El Camino for being unnecessary to Breaking Bad, but this turns those sentiments up to an 11 for anyone that was a fan of the Sopranos.

Otter 10-03-2021 09:43 AM

David Chase Signs HBO Overall Deal, Opening Door to Potentially More ‘Sopranos’

The 'Sopranos' creator strikes a five-year deal to create new content for HBO Max.

Chase has inked a five-year, first-look deal with the company to develop content for HBO, HBO Max and Warner Bros. Pictures Group.

To be clear, there is no statement yet on what Chase’s new content might be. But the deal announcement coincides with Chase’s long-awaited Sopranos prequel movie, The Many Saints of Newark, hitting theaters and HBO Max. Chase said in a recent interview he “might” be open to making a sequel to the film, and Many Saints director Alan Taylor likewise told The Hollywood Reporter that Chase (pictured above on the set of Many Saints with Taylor) said “maybe” when asked about mining more content out of the New Jersey mob scene.

Many Saints primarily follows Tony Soprano’s uncle Dickie Moltisanti (Alessandro Nivola), while the film’s teenage Tony Soprano (Michael Gandolfini, son of the original show’s star James Gandolfini) is mainly an observer. The film’s conclusion leaves viewers with the impression that there could be more story that focuses on young Tony as he enters the world of organized crime.

“David Chase is one of the most gifted storytellers working in the film and television industry,” said Casey Bloys, chief content officer of HBO and HBO Max. “HBO has had a long and celebrated creative partnership with David, and this deal affords us a wonderful opportunity to continue this relationship at HBO and HBO Max.”

Added Toby Emmerich, chairman of Warner Bros. Pictures Group, “David has a singular voice and is a gifted writer and filmmaker. His work is pure and authentic, and highly compelling for a broad audience. The critical reception of The Many Saints of Newark speaks to David’s mastery of both film and television. We are thrilled to keep David in the Warner Bros. family.”

The Sopranos has enjoyed a resurgence in streaming popularity during the pandemic, with a younger generation of viewers discovering the series for the first time. The series premiered in 1999 and ran for six seasons. Many Saints is available now on HBO Max.

Easy 6 10-03-2021 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 15867339)
It's on HBO Max if you have that service (might be the best streaming service). That said, it feels like a major bait and switch. Aside from my other critiques about this being a race commentary, this also feels like a Dickie origin story, and not a Tony one. The whole thing is superfluous and unnecessary, and feels like a complete waste. I know folks criticized El Camino for being unnecessary to Breaking Bad, but this turns those sentiments up to an 11 for anyone that was a fan of the Sopranos.

You've effectively killed any interest I had in this, thanks a lot!!1

BigBeauford 10-03-2021 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 15867402)
You've effectively killed any interest I had in this, thanks a lot!!1

Sorry bud. Don't just take my word for it: it's getting slammed on IMDB and Rottentomatoes by user reviews.

Easy 6 10-03-2021 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 15867407)
Sorry bud. Don't just take my word for it: it's getting slammed on IMDB and Rottentomatoes by user reviews.

Thats a shame, definitely expected better from Chase

MTG#10 10-03-2021 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 15867414)
Thats a shame, definitely expected better from Chase

If you're a big Sopranos fan you should still give it a shot. This seems to be a love it or hate it movie with not much in between.

MTG#10 10-03-2021 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx (Post 15867334)
I think I get you. You are done seeing white people portrayed in a negative light and would like to see them portrayed in a positive light and standing up for the little guy.

If you want to see white people being kind to others and being uplifted as good people:

I don't need to see movies like that either, just anything that doesn't go out of its way to point out how evil white people are. If race relations are the main plot of the movie/show its one thing, but damn near every other thing I watch has to throw in subtle jabs that have nothing to do with the overall plot. I get it, we're all pieces of shit and we're the only race who's racist. :rolleyes:

Easy 6 10-03-2021 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15870166)
If you're a big Sopranos fan you should still give it a shot. This seems to be a love it or hate it movie with not much in between.

I've watched every single episode at least once, huge fan

But if the story is primarily about Dickie Moltisanti, with a bunch of racial justice themes shoehorned in... I'll still watch it, but won't be in a big hurry to do so

When a liberal like Beauford is basically saying "the racial stuff seemed out of place and heavy handed" its probably pretty bad

BigBeauford 10-03-2021 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 15870204)
I've watched every single episode at least once, huge fan

But if the story is primarily about Dickie Moltisanti, with a bunch of racial justice themes shoehorned in... I'll still watch it, but won't be in a big hurry to do so

When a liberal like Beauford is basically saying "the racial stuff seemed out of place and heavy handed" its probably pretty bad

We will get right to telling you the origin story of Dickie (that's right you schmucks!), but first let's take 20 minutes to remind you how much America was sucky for black folks back in the day. Come on, remeeeeember.

Mephistopheles Janx 10-03-2021 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 15870196)
I don't need to see movies like that either, just anything that doesn't go out of its way to point out how evil white people are. If race relations are the main plot of the movie/show its one thing, but damn near every other thing I watch has to throw in subtle jabs that have nothing to do with the overall plot. I get it, we're all pieces of shit and we're the only race who's racist. :rolleyes:

So what you want is the vast majority of media that is out there. :spock:

I looked through this list (https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...1-best-movies/) and found, perhaps, two movies on the list that "goes out of its way to point out how evil white people are".

Easy 6 10-03-2021 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 15870273)
We will get right to telling you the origin story of Dickie (that's right you schmucks!), but first let's take 20 minutes to remind you how much America was sucky for black folks back in the day. Come on, remeeeeember.

Yeah man I just don't see the need for that side story in a gangster drama

But I DID enjoy the Master Genius episodes, where it turns out Hesh had ripped off tons of black artists back in the day... that kinda stuff definitely happened, and it made for an interesting story

Dallas Chief 10-03-2021 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 15866843)

I didn't get that at all. Maybe because I don't give a shit about social commentary and people of all colors were equally despicable in the movie? Name one character that was a hero. I surely cannot.

Dallas Chief 10-03-2021 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 15866426)

Oh come on, the credits rolled 15 seconds later. Do you actually know anyone that did that or did you just read that in Entertainment Weekly?