ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life The ONLY Thing To Know To Survive An Active Shooter (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=339119)

Lzen 07-20-2021 10:24 AM

The ONLY Thing To Know To Survive An Active Shooter

Just got these in my email and thought they were interesting and informative. Tim Larkin is a self defense guy I have been learning from (Target Focus Training) for years. His guest is an expert on this and he only uses facts. Perhaps this could save some lives. Share with everyone you know.

Pt. 1
https://youtu.be/FDDK0jLsdKQ

Pt. 2
https://youtu.be/nRt2bjdCEO4

Lzen 07-20-2021 10:24 AM

Pt 1

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FDDK0jLsdKQ" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lzen 07-20-2021 10:25 AM

Pt 2

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nRt2bjdCEO4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Skyy God 07-20-2021 11:11 AM

Hopefully a mod can shoot up your stupid thread.

BigRedChief 07-20-2021 11:13 AM

can we get a cliff notes answer?

Skyy God 07-20-2021 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 15747645)
can we get a cliff notes answer?

Serpentine running.

KC_Connection 07-20-2021 11:17 AM

The primary thing, I assume, is to get extremely lucky and not have the shooter anywhere in your immediate vicinity?

Frazod 07-20-2021 11:19 AM

Return fire. The end.

Mennonite 07-20-2021 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 15747659)
Serpentine running.

I wonder if this guy has any advice about dealing with tsetse flies the size of eagles.

BWillie 07-20-2021 11:29 AM

I honestly think I'm just going to play dead. How often has shooter shot people laying on the ground?

I feel like I can hold my breath pretty well.

DaFace 07-20-2021 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 15747668)
The primary thing, I assume, is to get extremely lucky and not have the shooter anywhere in your immediate vicinity?

This is the right answer. I don't fault people for wanting to think about this kind of stuff, but the reality is that dying from an active shooter is an incredibly unlikely way for people to die.

I'd have to look up stats to be sure, but I'd be pretty confident you'd be more likely to die from an accidental gun discharge than from an active shooter.

Mennonite 07-20-2021 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 15747699)
I honestly think I'm just going to play dead.

If the shooter is a grizzly bear you're golden.

Bowser 07-20-2021 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 15747640)

Nah

https://media.tenor.co/images/25c1a5...5c4314b130/raw

frozenchief 07-20-2021 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mennonite (Post 15747693)
I wonder if this guy has any advice about dealing with tsetse flies the size of eagles.

You can't deal with the Flamenco Dancers of Death because they're protected by the Guacamole Act of 1919.

Great reference.

BigRedChief 07-20-2021 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 15747702)
This is the right answer. I don't fault people for wanting to think about this kind of stuff, but the reality is that dying from an active shooter is an incredibly unlikely way for people to die.

I'd have to look up stats to be sure, but I'd be pretty confident you'd be more likely to die from an accidental gun discharge than from an active shooter.

People being afraid of sharks is another. You are more likely to die from a vending machine than a shark.

ClevelandBronco 07-20-2021 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 15747763)
People being afraid of sharks is another. You are more likely to die from a vending machine than a shark.

Maybe. But if you accidentally push the shark button on the vending machine, you’ll wish you were only dealing with an active shooter.

Lzen 07-20-2021 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 15747699)
I honestly think I'm just going to play dead. How often has shooter shot people laying on the ground?

I feel like I can hold my breath pretty well.

Funny thing is that he talks about that. Often times the shooter will shoot again to make sure you're dead.

Lzen 07-20-2021 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 15747640)

Nobody forced you to be here, dumb ass.

Lzen 07-20-2021 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 15747668)

The major thing they talk about is acting quickly. It also deals with the authorities and their plans to deal with active shooters. We have had training on active shooter scenarios at work. I assume many people have these days. But the problem is that often times the people in charge don't really have a good plan to deal with these things.

wazu 07-20-2021 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 15747865)
The major thing they talk about is acting quickly. It also deals with the authorities and their plans to deal with active shooters. We have had training on active shooter scenarios at work. I assume many people have these days. But the problem is that often times the people in charge don't really have a good plan to deal with these things.

Problem is that the answer is pretty clearly that nothing else really works but having armed security in high risk areas to immediately engage the shooter. That has a pretty high cost that is extremely unlikely to ever be needed. There's a value for having peace of mind, though.

lawrenceRaider 07-20-2021 12:41 PM

Quote:

More likely to die from shit falling out of the sky on your head than from an active shooter.

Mennonite 07-20-2021 12:43 PM

"All this machine does is eat change, vend, and crush drunk frat guys trying to get free Zagnut bars."

https://i.imgur.com/drZFK2v.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sl2xyud.jpg

"You're gonna need a less wrinkly dollar."

DaFace 07-20-2021 12:45 PM

Quote:

Following up on my own post, this source says there were 458 accidental gun deaths in the U.S. in 2018. In 2017 (the year of the Las Vegas shooting), there were 117 fatalities from mass shootings in the U.S. according to this source.

So, yeah. You're at least 4x as likely to die from an accident than from a mass shooter.

Mennonite 07-20-2021 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 15747898)

So, yeah. You're at least 4x as likely to die from an accident than from a mass shooter.

Maybe Lee Harvey Oswald was just a real butterfingers?

wazu 07-20-2021 12:53 PM

Quote:

Following up on my own post, this source says there were 458 accidental gun deaths in the U.S. in 2018. In 2017 (the year of the Las Vegas shooting), there were 117 fatalities from mass shootings in the U.S. according to this source.

Not really. If I don't own any guns, and don't ever go hunting or do any of the things that would put me at risk of an accidental gun death, I'd say that number goes way down, probably even lower than the chance of being part of a mass shooting.

Fish 07-20-2021 12:59 PM

The ONLY thing to know? Why not more than one thing? Seems like a complex and spontaneous issue that might require knowing more than one thing.

KCUnited 07-20-2021 01:00 PM

If you fire upon yourself accidently you should definitely return fire on yourself to keep us all on the safe side.

Jewish Rabbi 07-20-2021 01:25 PM

Bill would just try to suck the guy off

Spott 07-20-2021 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 15747987)
Bill would just try to suck the guy off

Probably a smart plan. Nobody turns down a good blowjob.

ptlyon 07-20-2021 01:29 PM

Or a bad one

Bowser 07-20-2021 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 15747935)
If you fire upon yourself accidently you should definitely return fire on yourself to keep us all on the safe side.

https://i.redd.it/bekphnqftcb41.jpg

Perineum Ripper 07-20-2021 01:34 PM

Make yourself as small of a target as possible, keep hard objects between you and the shooter, get your ass to the closest/safest exit.

That’s about as simple as it can be put.

Spott 07-20-2021 01:53 PM

I run a few miles a day, so I feel like I’ve been preparing for this crap my whole life. I just hope when it happens I’m not wearing flip flops.

Why Not? 07-20-2021 01:56 PM

Quote:

Most shit people are afraid of is unlikely to ever occur. Tens of millions of people are terrified of flying and almost anything you can think of has a higher percentage shot of happening than anyone being in a plane crash/incident, let alone dying from one.

AdolfOliverBush 07-20-2021 02:17 PM

Quote:

The odds of dying in a school shooting are less than the odds of winning a Powerball jackpot.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...?noredirect=on

Frazod 07-20-2021 02:52 PM

Assuming a person is unarmed, it seems like grabbing a fire extinguisher and waiting around a corner would be a good plan (assuming you have quick access to one and a corner you can hide behind). Spray somebody in the face with an extinguisher, and they're not going to be doing anything but getting sprayed in the face. His vision is immediately reduced to zero. Also, it would be instinctive/reflexive for the shooter to cover his face, taking the gun out of the immediate equation.

Then bash the ****er over the head with the extinguisher. Until you've made brain soup.

Saulbadguy 07-20-2021 02:57 PM

Challenge the active shooter to a dance-off.

KC_Connection 07-20-2021 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15748079)
Assuming a person is unarmed, it seems like grabbing a fire extinguisher and waiting around a corner would be a good plan (assuming you have quick access to one and a corner you can hide behind). Spray somebody in the face with an extinguisher, and they're not going to be doing anything but getting sprayed in the face. His vision is immediately reduced to zero. Also, it would be instinctive/reflexive for the shooter to cover his face, taking the gun out of the immediate equation.

Then bash the ****er over the head with the extinguisher. Until you've made brain soup.

That all sound well and good, but I'd rather not bring a fire extinguisher to a gun fight myself.

Frazod 07-20-2021 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 15748115)
That all sound well and good, but I'd rather not bring a fire extinguisher to a gun fight myself.

That goes without saying.

Zebedee DuBois 07-20-2021 04:07 PM

There were 37000+ firearm mortalities per the CDC. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/s...ty/firearm.htm

Buehler445 07-20-2021 04:16 PM

Quote:

Eh, kinda. Context matters a lot.

If you have a ton of guns around - especially if you don't use them a ton - you're going to have a far higher than 4x chance of accidental shooting death than a person with 0 exposure to guns.

If you're never around guns you're going to have to be around an accidental discharge or a crime and be a bystandard.

So it's hard to buy that absolutely you're 4x more likely to get blasted by accident than active shooter and apply that to a population.

Cheater5 07-20-2021 04:58 PM

This thread is destined to end up in DC; there are people nearly stroking out wanting to bring up gun control and whatnot.

Jewish Rabbi 07-20-2021 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 15748085)
Challenge the active shooter to a dance-off.

Okay Starlord

eDave 07-20-2021 05:11 PM

I have a habit of knowing where the exits are now.

Coach 07-20-2021 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15747674)
Return fire. The end.

Yeah, listen to this guy folks, he's an expert of it. Hell, he took out his refrigerator for god sakes.

DaneMcCloud 07-20-2021 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 15748282)
Yeah, listen to this guy folks, he's an expert of it. Hell, he took out his refrigerator for god sakes.

Well, to be fair, that refrigerator was a real ****

Hoopsdoc 07-20-2021 05:51 PM

How the hell is this thread not in DC yet?

eDave 07-20-2021 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc (Post 15748310)
How the hell is this thread not in DC yet?

It's not even close to that.

Frazod 07-20-2021 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15748304)

I hate you ****ers. LMAO

lcarus 07-20-2021 06:53 PM

Just reason with the shooter long enough for the social workers to show up.

DaFace 07-20-2021 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 15747916)
Not really. If I don't own any guns, and don't ever go hunting or do any of the things that would put me at risk of an accidental gun death, I'd say that number goes way down, probably even lower than the chance of being part of a mass shooting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 15748192)
Eh, kinda. Context matters a lot.

If you have a ton of guns around - especially if you don't use them a ton - you're going to have a far higher than 4x chance of accidental shooting death than a person with 0 exposure to guns.

If you're never around guns you're going to have to be around an accidental discharge or a crime and be a bystandard.

So it's hard to buy that absolutely you're 4x more likely to get blasted by accident than active shooter and apply that to a population.

You guys are complicating my oversimplification. :harumph:

But yes, you're right. Point still stands that I'm not going to spend much energy thinking about it. I'll just crawl into the fetal position and hope for the best. ROFL

Sorter 07-20-2021 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15748304)

LMAOLMAOLMAO

duncan_idaho 07-20-2021 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 15748377)
You guys are complicating my oversimplification. :harumph:

But yes, you're right. Point still stands that I'm not going to spend much energy thinking about it. I'll just crawl into the fetal position and hope for the best. ROFL

This, exactly.

It’s why I don’t have guns in my house and never will. Why I don’t carry and never will.

The odds of someone invading my home or me being involved in an active shooter event are infinitesimally small. Much smaller than the risk of an accident with a gun if it’s in the house (and with two young kids, that’s the most important thing).

There’s 0.0 percent chance my kids have an accident with a gun in my home if there are none in my home.

Re: active shooter drills, my favorite was the emphasis a previous employer started placing on it right after they moved us into an open office setting.

The instructor met with us in the basement of the building and hadn’t seen our office layout. During his lecture, he mentioned that open office plans were horrible ideas for a lot of reasons, including that they made it much easier for active shooters to rack up higher numbers.

Watching our CAO’s face (she was the one who insisted on the open office plan) during that was priceless.

|Zach| 07-20-2021 07:32 PM

Spent a lot of time with this stuff at work. Active shooters are a pretty big deal for us especially in schools. I respect people's right to carry and understand the urge for a good guy with a gun to act upon a bad guy with a gun but when cops swarm the area there is no magic sign that says you are a good guy. You are just a guy with a brandished firearm and will be treated as the active shooter until it can be confirmed it is not you. The chaos and confusion that comes with active shooter events makes it very dangerous for an armed person.

No problem with people being armed and understand if you are in that situation being armed to defend yourself but you should have it in your head how poorly that decision can go for you. A lot of times people that try to be John Wayne's make situations police respond to much worse...not only active shooters. Just my experience in communications at a police department.

Jenson71 07-20-2021 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 15748032)
Most shit people are afraid of is unlikely to ever occur. Tens of millions of people are terrified of flying and almost anything you can think of has a higher percentage shot of happening than anyone being in a plane crash/incident, let alone dying from one.

I have to tell myself this for about an hour before every flight I go on. I think a lot of it is about giving up 100% control of your life to someone else and there being no survival rate if that person decides he just wants to kill everyone that day.

|Zach| 07-20-2021 07:37 PM

Police killing of Arvada “Samaritan” highlights difficulty in discerning “who’s a good guy and who’s a bad guy”

Three men died Monday in Olde Town Arvada, including police officer and man hailed as hero

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/06/2...-self-defense/

Quote:

Johnny Hurley carried a concealed weapon so he could defend himself and others should there ever be a threat, his friends said.

When the moment came on Monday, he drew his weapon and charged toward a gunman in Olde Town Arvada only to be killed a short time later by a responding Arvada police officer, investigators said. Hurley was holding the gunman’s AR-15 after shooting him when the officer arrived, police said.

Hurley’s death once again sparked questions about how Colorado law enforcement reacts to armed people who are acting lawfully in self-defense. Many of the hundreds of thousands of gun owners in Colorado keep their weapons in case they need to defend themselves or others.

But in chaotic moments, police can mistakenly believe someone trying to help is a threat.

“It’s a difficult thing,” said Pete Blair, executive director of Advanced Law Enforcement Rapid Response Training at Texas State University, which trains law enforcement officers how to respond to active shooters. “You’re asking people to make split-second decisions about who’s a good guy and who’s a bad guy and obviously mistakes happen.”

Jimmy Graham, owner of Centennial self-defense training program Able Shepherd, trains civilians for exactly these scenarios. He said people carrying guns should only intervene in active shooter situations if they reasonably believe they can do so effectively and safely. Target practice is important, but people also need to complete scenario-based training on movement and tactics, he said.

“This is a responsibility and it has to be realistic,” he said. “They need to have skills beyond shooting cans down by the river.”

“You need to be prepared”
Hurley is not the first Coloradan defensively using a gun to be shot by police. Aurora police in August 2018 shot and killed 73-year-old Richard “Gary” Black after the grandfather used his gun to shoot and kill a naked man who kicked in his front door and attacked his 11-year-old grandson.

Prosecutors decided that the officer who killed Black should not face criminal charges.

A year earlier, the law enforcement investigation into a shooting at a Thornton Walmart that left three dead was slowed because multiple people drew weapons when shots rang out. Police poring through video recordings of the shooting had to rule out each person who drew a weapon as a suspect in the shooting.

“They have to understand that there’s nothing that distinguishes them from a bad guy to a police officer,” Blair said.

Graham’s instructors teach people to protect themselves from being mistakenly shot by police. If a person drew their weapon to defend themselves, they should loudly communicate to police that they are trying to help and make sure police are aware of their presence to avoid surprising them. People should also holster their weapons and make their hands visible, Graham said.

“You know (law enforcement) are coming, so you need to be prepared for that second part, too,” he said.

Officials have not said whether Hurley announced himself to arriving officers or how he reacted to their arrival.

Graham said he sees a spike in the number of people interested in his training after any major active shooter event.

“A really difficult situation”
Active shooters have become more common and more deadly over the past two decades, FBI data shows. Between 2000 and 2004, the FBI recorded an average of seven active shooter situations a year. Between 2015 and 2019, the average was 26 a year.

In the first five years of the study’s two-decade timeframe, an average of 22 people were killed by active shooters every year. By the last five years, the average had grown to 91 killings every year.

Data compiled by the FBI shows that civilians successfully stopping an active shooter is extremely rare. Of 345 active shooters recorded between 2000 and 2019, four were killed by civilians. The vast majority were killed or arrested by police.

Police don’t usually undergo extensive training about identifying a “good guy with a gun” outside of running through some scenarios in weapons training that involve armed people who are not suspects, said Paul Taylor, a former police officer and assistant professor at the University of Colorado Denver who studies police decision-making.

“It’s not something that’s really stressed or talked about,” Taylor said. “It’s acknowledged that it could happen.”

The dispatch information officers receive will also greatly influence how they handle a situation, he said.

“You roll up on scene and someone is pointing a gun at someone and how much time are you going to take before you take action?” Taylor said. “It’s a really difficult situation.”

David Lane, a Denver civil rights attorney, said officers should issue a warning to the armed person to drop their gun before opening fire. If the person doesn’t comply and police reasonably saw him as a threat, prosecutors will see the shooting as justified, he said.

It’s unclear whether police issued commands to Hurley or what dispatch information the officer who shot Hurley had received.

The Jefferson County 911 communications center denied a public records request by The Denver Post for audio recordings of 911 calls and dispatch communications related to the Olde Town Arvada shooting, citing the ongoing investigation.

Arvada police officers are not equipped with body cameras. Investigators on Friday released video from a security camera showing the gunman ambush Officer Gordon Beesley, but did not release any video connected to Hurley’s actions or death.

Titty Meat 07-20-2021 08:18 PM

You might be surprised when that fight or flight kicks in. I hid the time I experienced it

ThyKingdomCome15 07-20-2021 08:28 PM

Don't get shot.

BWillie 07-20-2021 08:36 PM

I'm really surprised casinos don't get shot up more. Seems like such easy targets. Something I've always thought about. When I'm sitting in the poker room, I'm kind of a sitting duck.

Jewish Rabbi 07-20-2021 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 15748497)
You might be surprised when that fight or flight kicks in. I hid the time I experienced it

Bill I feel like it’s story time for this comment

Pablo 07-20-2021 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 15748530)
Bill I feel like it’s story time for this comment

Prolly just a Friday night in Westport

BWillie 07-20-2021 08:49 PM

People always talk about guns for protection but Im sure wearing a Kevlar vest wherever you go would certainly be safer.

Titty Meat 07-20-2021 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 15748534)
Prolly just a Friday night in Westport

I've shared this before. It was an early Sunday evening in Westport I was working an event outdoors it was packed maybe 300 people? Shit was winding down all off a sudden I hear a loud pop. I knew what it was immediately at that point adrenaline kicked in I didnt think just reacted on instinct there was a bathroom not even 50 ft away I just hid in there. Everyone was screaming and shit it was pretty chaotic. Of course nobody knew wtf was going on at the time but what happened in some piece of shit saw some guys who beat the **** out of him a few years prior, so this moron pulls out a gun shoots in their general direction the bullet ends up striking an innocent person in the throat he died almost instantly, the bullet traveled through him and hit someone else too thankfully they survived. This all happened within a few hundred feet of me but there was so many people I had no idea what the **** was going on.

It took a few months for them to find and arrest the guy. He only got 18 years too. The family ended up suing and hired a private investigator whom was a total dick to talk to and it sucks the whole staff had to relive that moment going through all of that but I understand. Something I'll never forget and just how much we really take life for granted.

DeepPurple 07-20-2021 09:22 PM

In Florida where I live the only mass shooting I can remember was the Parkland School shooting in 2018 where 17 were killed. School shooters know that the one place that you can't carry a concealed weapon is on school property, only the school police can have a weapon.

Otherwise in a state with a population of about 20 million, there is about 2 million concealed licenses in the state, and about 17,000 more each month. I've had one for almost ten years and carry my pistol everywhere I go. So, going by those figures if there were about 500 people in a crowd not in a school, about 50 of those people would have a concealed weapon. I believe this one of the reasons we don't see mass shooters fooling around in Florida.

In the retirement community I live, there is a population of 140,000 of which about 20,000 are military veterans and we also have a large number of retired police officers, so our concealed weapon percentages are probably even higher. The only time I really worry is when I go to one of the squares to listen to music with about 1,000 other people, but considering the makeup of the community and the figures I stated, I feel pretty safe that no one is going to really try anything.

The biggest crowd we had was in 2019 when actor Gary Sinise brought his Lt. Dan Band to one of our squares, Lake Sumter Landing, about 10,000 were there that night, just think the average age was 65.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pt6-1K_qIdY" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

|Zach| 07-21-2021 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepPurple (Post 15748620)
In Florida where I live the only mass shooting I can remember was the Parkland School shooting in 2018 where 17 were killed.

You mean in your area of Florida where you live? Or are we forgetting about one of the most lethal mass shootings in US history the pulse night club shooting.

lawrenceRaider 07-21-2021 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 15748817)
You mean in your area of Florida where you live? Or are we forgetting about one of the most lethal mass shootings in US history the pulse night club shooting.

Oh noes, you owned him!

Jewish Rabbi 07-21-2021 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 15748854)
Oh noes, you owned him!

|Pussy| was probably there that night.

PunkinDrublic 07-21-2021 07:42 AM

Quote:

Yeah but the shark scenerio is a lot more hilarious.

Lzen 07-21-2021 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 15747930)
The ONLY thing to know? Why not more than one thing? Seems like a complex and spontaneous issue that might require knowing more than one thing.

Agreed. I realize that title is more click bait than anything. However, I do trust and respect Tim Larkin. And the guy he has talking about this is apparently well respected, too.

Lzen 07-21-2021 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 15748421)
Spent a lot of time with this stuff at work. Active shooters are a pretty big deal for us especially in schools. I respect people's right to carry and understand the urge for a good guy with a gun to act upon a bad guy with a gun but when cops swarm the area there is no magic sign that says you are a good guy. You are just a guy with a brandished firearm and will be treated as the active shooter until it can be confirmed it is not you. The chaos and confusion that comes with active shooter events makes it very dangerous for an armed person.

No problem with people being armed and understand if you are in that situation being armed to defend yourself but you should have it in your head how poorly that decision can go for you. A lot of times people that try to be John Wayne's make situations police respond to much worse...not only active shooters. Just my experience in communications at a police department.

I'm sure there's some truth to this but it is more about the time it takes police to arrive. Or in the case of Parkville, they were cowardly and did not go into the school for over 10 minutes, well after the shooter had done all his killing and left. Every time, it's a good guy with a gun that stops a bad guy with a gun, whether that's a security guard, police, or an armed citizen.

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-21-2021 08:06 AM

Active shooter is just another good reason to carry an UZI.

Dallas Chief 07-21-2021 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepPurple (Post 15748620)
In Florida where I live the only mass shooting I can remember was the Parkland School shooting in 2018 where 17 were killed. School shooters know that the one place that you can't carry a concealed weapon is on school property, only the school police can have a weapon.

Otherwise in a state with a population of about 20 million, there is about 2 million concealed licenses in the state, and about 17,000 more each month. I've had one for almost ten years and carry my pistol everywhere I go. So, going by those figures if there were about 500 people in a crowd not in a school, about 50 of those people would have a concealed weapon. I believe this one of the reasons we don't see mass shooters fooling around in Florida.

In the retirement community I live, there is a population of 140,000 of which about 20,000 are military veterans and we also have a large number of retired police officers, so our concealed weapon percentages are probably even higher. The only time I really worry is when I go to one of the squares to listen to music with about 1,000 other people, but considering the makeup of the community and the figures I stated, I feel pretty safe that no one is going to really try anything.

The biggest crowd we had was in 2019 when actor Gary Sinise brought his Lt. Dan Band to one of our squares, Lake Sumter Landing, about 10,000 were there that night, just think the average age was 65.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pt6-1K_qIdY" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ummm, Orlando?

DeepPurple 07-21-2021 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas Chief (Post 15749097)
Ummm, Orlando?

Since Pulse was a club that served alcohol, it falls into the same category as the Parkland School, concealed weapons are not allowed in establishments that serve more alcohol than food.

Frazod 07-21-2021 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepPurple (Post 15749484)
Since Pulse was a club that served alcohol, it falls into the same category as the Parkland School, concealed weapons are not allowed in establishments that serve more alcohol than food.

To that I say, so what? Unless I'm going someplace where they have metal detectors, wand or otherwise actively search for weapons, I carry. Period. Gun free zones are the dumbest goddamn thing in the history of dumb things.

Raiderhater 07-21-2021 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 15748934)
Agreed. I realize that title is more click bait than anything. However, I do trust and respect Tim Larkin. And the guy he has talking about this is apparently well respected, too.

The title may be a bit on the click baitish side but, not by much. Yes, every situation is going to be different in some regards. What the title is referring to however, is not the minute details of a gun fight but, rather, the over all proven effectiveness of forcefully engaging the threat as quickly as possible. That is what they are selling, the over all strategy, not the tactics.

Lzen 07-21-2021 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderhader (Post 15749545)
The title may be a bit on the click baitish side but, not by much. Yes, every situation is going to be different in some regards. What the title is referring to however, is not the minute details of a gun fight but, rather, the over all proven effectiveness of forcefully engaging the threat as quickly as possible. That is what they are selling, the over all strategy, not the tactics.

Thank you, Jamie. You said it much more eloquently than I could.

DeepPurple 07-21-2021 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15749526)
To that I say, so what? Unless I'm going someplace where they have metal detectors, wand or otherwise actively search for weapons, I carry. Period. Gun free zones are the dumbest goddamn thing in the history of dumb things.

I agree, gun free zones are stupid if you've passed a background check and can carry anywhere most of time, what difference would that make? Since it was a nightclub, they probably did run a metal detector past you. Plus, the shooter at Pulse chose his target because it was a gay club, with most gays as liberals they wouldn't of probably sought out a concealed permit anyway. Other than one or two off-duty cops working security, they were the only roadblock and his weapon was superior to theirs. Could of just as well happen in New York of California.

Coach 07-21-2021 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15748368)
I hate you ****ers. LMAO

Our job is done here, Dane. ROFL