ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Anyone Watching the Ken Burns doc on Muhammad Ali? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=339899)

Easy 6 09-22-2021 06:00 PM

Anyone Watching the Ken Burns doc on Muhammad Ali?

On PBS, of course… episode 3 starts tonight at 7

Stumbled onto episode 1 just as it started Monday and have been glued to it ever since, it honestly may be Burns best work IMHO… it doesn’t hurt that it’s a modern subject, so there’s SO much great footage, pics and radio calls

I’m not even some big boxing history fan, but damn it’s riveting tv nonetheless… turn it on now if you can

Simply Red 09-22-2021 06:17 PM

No, sounds awful.

Simply Red 09-22-2021 06:19 PM

But I'll give it a go for you buddy.

Pablo 09-22-2021 06:19 PM

I listened to him on a podcast talking about it and it does sound like he feels like he's made his masterpiece. I'll check it out sometime

Beef Supreme 09-22-2021 06:22 PM

No.

stumppy 09-22-2021 06:26 PM

Episode 4 is on here. I caught #2 the other night and have the others set to record.

It makes me miss that era of boxing.

EPodolak 09-22-2021 06:32 PM

It's good, no surprise. I've missed some of it, but the segment on the first Frazier fight had material I'd never seen or heard of before.

Easy 6 09-22-2021 07:02 PM

“Whatever you do, don’t stop the fight… I’m gonna eat that halfbreeds heart out of his chest” - Joe Frazier to his trainer Eddie Futch before the Thrilla In Manilla

Damn

stumppy 09-22-2021 07:11 PM

I forgot how brutal that fight with Frazier was.

mlyonsd 09-22-2021 07:20 PM

Missed the first episode because of that debacle in Baltimore Sunday but have watched the rest. Very awesome. A lot of stuff I did not know.

Easy 6 09-22-2021 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 15849571)

“We went over there Champions, and came back old men”

He should’ve retired after that, or at the very least after he got redemption on Spinks… too many people around him were blinded by the glitz, just letting him get destroyed in pointless matches toward the end

Letting Holmes bludgeon him like that was criminal, throw in the towel you greedy bastards

cdcox 09-22-2021 08:19 PM

This thread is the first I heard about this series. Turns out my wife has been recording it for us to watch later. She's awesome.

Kman34 09-22-2021 08:28 PM

Shit.. I forgot about this... Hope they replay it all of them so I can get them on my DVR..

mlyonsd 09-22-2021 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 15849642)
This thread is the first I heard about this series. Turns out my wife has been recording it for us to watch later. She's awesome.

Ken Burns was involved. You're going to enjoy it no matter how you felt about Ali back in the day.

cdcox 09-22-2021 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 15849658)
Ken Burns was involved. You're going to enjoy it no matter how you felt about Ali back in the day.

Big fan.

stumppy 09-22-2021 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 15849616)
“We went over there Champions, and came back old men”

He should’ve retired after that, or at the very least after he got redemption on Spinks… too many people around him were blinded by the glitz, just letting him get destroyed in pointless matches toward the end

Letting Holmes bludgeon him like that was criminal, throw in the towel you greedy bastards

I agree. Too many people riding the gravy train.

And talk about malpractice, how many Dr.'s missed the Parkinson's diagnosis.

Kman34 09-22-2021 09:08 PM

I will always prefer boxing over UFC.. Prime Ali was beautiful to watch.. I just don't feel that way about the octagon fights.. There was just nothing like a big heavy weight championship fight. Sadly the heavy weight division now just doesn't have anyone I want to root for..

Easy 6 09-22-2021 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 15849676)
I agree. Too many people riding the gravy train.

And talk about malpractice, how many Dr.'s missed the Parkinson's diagnosis.

His so called doctors should’ve died in jail for malpractice, they had to have seen it

suzzer99 09-22-2021 09:31 PM

Set my DVR to record. Thanks for the reminder!

Graystoke 09-23-2021 06:53 AM

I watched all 4 episodes. I am a huge fan as I grew up with Ali.
My Dad hated this guy and me and my brother loved him.
Truly a GREAT WATCH!

D.A.P. 09-23-2021 01:52 PM

Have it DVRed

Easy 6 09-23-2021 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graystoke (Post 15849876)
I watched all 4 episodes. I am a huge fan as I grew up with Ali.
My Dad hated this guy and me and my brother loved him.
Truly a GREAT WATCH!

Ah, it appears I missed the first one, most likely covering his childhood… I’ll be on the lookout for that

Reeeally did love this series, complicated men sure make great subjects for documentaries

Graystoke 09-23-2021 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 15850613)
Ah, it appears I missed the first one, most likely covering his childhood… I’ll be on the lookout for that

Reeeally did love this series, complicated men sure make great subjects for documentaries

Things I didn't know:
Ali hit more pussy then punches landed on Frazier's face. He was married four times, and had nine children by six women. I bet he has some children unaccounted for out there for sure.

Easy 6 09-23-2021 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graystoke (Post 15850634)
Things I didn't know:
Ali hit more pussy then punches landed on Frazier's face. He was married four times, and had nine children by six women. I bet he has some children unaccounted for out there for sure.

Ha… he was a prolific philanderer, no doubt about it

Tribal Warfare 09-23-2021 02:33 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7cTHNmeF8eU" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

alpha_omega 09-23-2021 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 15849571)

This.

Flipped across it for a couple of minutes last night just at that point. Need to check out the whole series.

Easy 6 09-23-2021 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha_omega (Post 15850663)
This.

Flipped across it for a couple of minutes last night just at that point. Need to check out the whole series.

Yeeeah buddy, pretty sure I’ve never seen a boxing match so brutal and prolonged… they absolutely beat the hell out of each other

The way the doc made it seem, Frazier earned Ali’s respect in that one, but not the other way around, because Ali had just said one too many horrible things about him over the years

EPodolak 09-23-2021 03:47 PM

Later in their lives when Ali's impairment was obvious Frazier would say 'tell me now who won those fights'. Zero love lost.

Easy 6 09-23-2021 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EPodolak (Post 15850803)
Later in their lives when Ali's impairment was obvious Frazier would say 'tell me now who won those fights'. Zero love lost.

Yeah it’s a shame they couldn’t get past it, but Ali was pretty damn ruthless with his words over the years… I guess Joe just couldn’t let it go

cosmo20002 09-23-2021 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 15850821)
Yeah it’s a shame they couldn’t get past it, but Ali was pretty damn ruthless with his words over the years… I guess Joe just couldn’t let it go

...despite Frazier supporting Ali during some rough years, even giving him money. For that, Frazier got to be called a "Tom" by Ali.
Ali was a dick.

Easy 6 09-23-2021 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 15851415)
...despite Frazier supporting Ali during some rough years, even giving him money. For that, Frazier got to be called a "Tom" by Ali.
Ali was a dick.

Yeah the backstory on that really shed some light

Ali was just gangster ruthless early on, he would sell anyone out to get ahead

But one thing that spoke to me, is that his public bluster didn’t always match who he was behind the scenes… one day he’s a firebrand preaching the tenets of the Nation of Islam, the next he’s hosting all kinds of white people at his training retreat

He was many things, but I will never call him truly hateful… he was only that way with Frazier because he was the only guy who truly tested him

KChiefs1 09-23-2021 10:47 PM

Another woke documentary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baby Lee 09-23-2021 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kman34 (Post 15849688)
I will always prefer boxing over UFC.. Prime Ali was beautiful to watch.. I just don't feel that way about the octagon fights.. There was just nothing like a big heavy weight championship fight. Sadly the heavy weight division now just doesn't have anyone I want to root for..

Wilder/Fury was full of promise, and the leadup matchups to them facing off had plenty of great content in their own right, . . too bad Wilder wore himself out with his ridiculous outfit before the fight itself.

And though he's not 'exciting' Canelo Alverez is as potent a mix of proficient and tough as **** as any weight group has had in a while. I rarely go in rooting for him and always leave respecting him.

And Golovkin, don't forget Golovkin.

Easy 6 09-23-2021 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 15851459)
Another woke documentary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burns had no choice, if you’re talking Ali there is no avoiding woke talk… and it was portrayed masterfully here

No sides were taken, it was all presented matter of factly IMO… and I’ve criticized Burns plenty for letting his lefty views invade his story over the years

But that wasn’t the case here at all, this was a warts and all honest look IMVHO

BigRedChief 09-23-2021 11:18 PM

I didn’t know about the fighting in Britain where he rubbed his American brashness in the Brits face. Wore a crown into the ring.

Also rented a bus, drove to Listons house at 1:00 am, leaned on the horn and woke him up. Liston comes out of his house enraged. Ali looks like he’s having the time of his life.

I’ll take you out in the 8th round but if you want to go to heaven I’ll take you out in 7. Lol

Easy 6 09-24-2021 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 15851489)
I didn’t know about the fighting in Britain where he rubbed his American brashness in the Brits face. Wore a crown into the ring.

Also rented a bus, drove to Listons house at 1:00 am, leaned on the horn and woke him up. Liston comes out of his house enraged. Ali looks like he’s having the time of his life.

I’ll take you out in the 8th round but if you want to go to heaven I’ll take you out in 7. Lol

Didn’t see it in the doc, but one of my favorites goes something like…

Little did they know when they laid down their money, that they’d witness a total eclipse of the Sonny!

LMAO