ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Rumblings of a possible deal for Detroit Collins? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=339906)

gblowfish 09-23-2021 12:23 PM

Rumblings of a possible deal for Detroit Collins?

Let's trade Frank Clark for him straight up!
https://heavy.com/sports/kansas-city...e-discussions/

Al Czervik 09-23-2021 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 15850346)

Hell yes.....

Abba-Dabba 09-23-2021 12:27 PM

instead, how about a 6th or 7th rounder?

Abba-Dabba 09-23-2021 12:28 PM

wonderful idea though. trading away our only real DE

gblowfish 09-23-2021 12:29 PM

If this dude can get Alfred E Niemann off the field, I'm open for about anything.

ToxSocks 09-23-2021 12:29 PM

$3.378M Cap hit. That means that yes, the Chiefs can afford him.

I said this yesterday, but i thought upon looking back that the LB's were woeful against Baltimore, moreso than the DL.

Have to ask ourselves this: Would we rather start Bolton and let him learn on the job and possibly be ready by mid/late season, or would you rather trade for a 31 y/o vet and let Bolton mostly learn on the bench?

smithandrew051 09-23-2021 12:30 PM

I’m really concerned that Niemann would lose snaps if we made this move. We would miss his experience.

(I’m kidding btw)

Red Dawg 09-23-2021 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 15850365)
If this dude can get Alfred E Niemann off the field, I'm open for about anything.

This. Ben is a bum.

ToxSocks 09-23-2021 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 15850368)
I’m really concerned that Niemann would lose snaps if we made this move. We would miss his experience.

Would it be Niemann though? I don't think so. It'd be Bolton losing snaps.

Graystoke 09-23-2021 12:31 PM

Isn't Detroit benching him because lack of effort, being out of position ect?

UChieffyBugger 09-23-2021 12:33 PM

If he's a DE who can help stop the run and provide a few sacks then hell yeah.

TLO 09-23-2021 12:35 PM

How many posts to make this happen??

OnTheWarpath15 09-23-2021 12:35 PM

He's terrible in coverage, and everything you read coming out of Detroit suggests a lack of effort.

No thanks.

Skyy God 09-23-2021 12:35 PM

Collins is 6’ 3”, 255. DE in Spags’ scheme.

You guys don’t football much.

ToxSocks 09-23-2021 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 15850382)
Collins is 6’ 3”, 255.

DE in Spags’ scheme.

Intriguing.

Marcellus 09-23-2021 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graystoke (Post 15850375)
Isn't Detroit benching him because lack of effort, being out of position ect?

Quote:

Collins excels as a run defender and pass rusher, earning PFF grades of 79.8 and 82.3 respectively in those categories through two weeks of the 2021 regular season.
Dont think so.

The Franchise 09-23-2021 12:40 PM

Rumblings? More like someone throwing shit at a wall and then writing an article about how it proceeded to hit the floor.

Sassy Squatch 09-23-2021 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15850386)
Intriguing.

Thats essentially prototypical size for a LEO, right?

ToxSocks 09-23-2021 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 15850391)

Pretty much. An ideal 34 OLB in the Patriots system.

tredadda 09-23-2021 12:47 PM

Has this guy been good anywhere but NE?

Rain Man 09-23-2021 12:48 PM

Maybe I'm alone in this, but the run stats so far don't worry me that much. We played the top running team in the NFL in Week 1, and the Ravens are basically nothing but a running team. They're strong teams, but this is our first loss to either team in the Mahomes era, and it was headed toward a win until the fumble. Let's let Spagnuolo observe and scheme before we make any abrupt moves.

Sassy Squatch 09-23-2021 12:48 PM

Did his time in NE ever overlap with Daly?

Rain Man 09-23-2021 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredadda (Post 15850406)
Has this guy been good anywhere but NE?

Yeah, can he play defense without knowing the plays ahead of time over his radio?

Sassy Squatch 09-23-2021 12:52 PM

He did seem to be at least a decent pass rusher during his time in New England. So presuming we traded for him, do you let him take over the weak side and move Clark over to the strong side primarily so we can put Jones back inside?

MahomesMagic 09-23-2021 12:53 PM

I'll take anyone with a pulse at this point.

Sign me up.

gblowfish 09-23-2021 12:58 PM

Chargers Defense against the run is almost as bad as ours.
Almost.

duncan_idaho 09-23-2021 12:59 PM

That's a deal that makes a lot of sense for all involved.

I'm sure Veach and co. are looking at teams that:

1. Are not in -or look to be falling out of - contention
2. Have edge defenders on the final year of their contact
3. Fit within the financial parameters

Collins is probably the best fit all the way around, if Daly still likes him.

JPH83 09-23-2021 01:03 PM

Would find out how much Olivier Vernon would want as well tbh

gblowfish 09-23-2021 01:12 PM

They should have got Melvin Ingram when they had a chance. Now Pittsburgh is lucky to have him since TJ Watt is out. He's about their only hope as a pass rusher now.

siberian khatru 09-23-2021 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 15850390)
Rumblings? More like someone throwing shit at a wall and then writing an article about how it proceeded to hit the floor.

Exactly. I hate stories like this. "Chiefs linked ..." The only people linking Collins to the Chiefs is the writer of the piece. It's pure speculation: He's on the trading block, Chiefs have a need, he has a connection to a Chiefs coach from his NE days ...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/l0IylOPCNkiqOgMyA" width="480" height="304" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/fx-charlie-always-sunny-l0IylOPCNkiqOgMyA">via GIPHY</a></p>

gblowfish 09-23-2021 01:27 PM

True, it may or may not go down. But interesting to consider, no?

Marcellus 09-23-2021 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 15850512)

If the trade compensation isn't much there is no downside. Might wake some of these guys up a bit.

DJJasonp 09-23-2021 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 15850408)
Maybe I'm alone in this, but the run stats so far don't worry me that much. We played the top running team in the NFL in Week 1, and the Ravens are basically nothing but a running team. They're strong teams, but this is our first loss to either team in the Mahomes era, and it was headed toward a win until the fumble. Let's let Spagnuolo observe and scheme before we make any abrupt moves.

when were nearly 90% sure the ravens were going to run.......we still couldnt stop them (nor get any push from the DL)....and watching Hitchens wait, just to feebly engage a blocker to make it look like he was 'busy'.....is infuriating.

T-post Tom 09-23-2021 01:37 PM

https://c.tenor.com/I4d1QyAghmUAAAAC/hooray-letsgo.gif

Tonka83 09-23-2021 01:40 PM

This is one of those time where you can say "how could it be any worse" and be factually correct. Don't have to worry having the 33rd rated defense. It would be worth a look IMO.

carcosa 09-23-2021 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 15850368)

(I’m kidding btw)

At first I was like huh??

But then i was like haha

siberian khatru 09-23-2021 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 15850512)

Oh, sure, since he's available it's fine to consider whether the Chiefs should pursue him and if he'd be a good fit.

Just from a "journalism" standpoint, a story asserting the Chiefs have been linked to a player -- absent anything such as an actual source connected to the player or either team -- just irks me.

Rain Man 09-23-2021 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJJasonp (Post 15850532)
when were nearly 90% sure the ravens were going to run.......we still couldnt stop them (nor get any push from the DL)....and watching Hitchens wait, just to feebly engage a blocker to make it look like he was 'busy'.....is infuriating.

Well, there's that. Maybe I'm still basking in the glory of shutting down Derrick Henry in the AFC championship game a couple of years ago.

What's Mike Pennel up to these days? He seems to magically make a run defense better.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 09-23-2021 02:09 PM

Fun fact: Melvin Ingram leads the NFL in pressures

Easy 6 09-23-2021 02:18 PM

Good God Almighty…

Last rush defense in several categories
Fifth worst in sacks
Last in pressures

I didn’t realize it was THIS bad

do it
Do It
DO IT

DJ's left nut 09-23-2021 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 15850391)

Also a good Sam candidate.

The issue is the overlap. If he's in at Sam it's presumably on running downs (you don't want him in coverage so Sam is out on passing downs) so if he's at Sam , you still have problems on the edge w/ Jones being green out there and Clark being ineffective in running situations.

If he's at the LEO, you still have an issue w/ the Sam 'backer in base formations (i.e. running downs). Perhaps the hope would be that moving Jones back inside in those situations would yield better run defense?

I guess his best role may end up being what we should've gone after Ingram for - LEO in passing downs. He can probably still generate a little pressure.

But it still leaves us robbing Peter to pay Paul against the run.

SIGN TACO!!!!!!

Gary Cooper 09-23-2021 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 15850612)
Fun fact: Melvin Ingram leads the NFL in pressures

If he can actually stay healthy, I'll be pissed we didn't get him.

Sassy Squatch 09-23-2021 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 15850639)
Also a good Sam candidate.

The issue is the overlap. If he's in at Sam it's presumably on running downs (you don't want him in coverage so Sam is out on passing downs) so if he's at Sam , you still have problems on the edge w/ Jones being green out there and Clark being ineffective in running situations.

If he's at the LEO, you still have an issue w/ the Sam 'backer in base formations (i.e. running downs). Perhaps the hope would be that moving Jones back inside in those situations would yield better run defense?

I guess his best role may end up being what we should've gone after Ingram for - LEO in passing downs. He can probably still generate a little pressure.

But it still leaves us robbing Peter to pay Paul against the run.

SIGN TACO!!!!!!

Is Gay not the SAM backer? Pretty sure Spagnuolo said something about that being where he'd get reps.

Edit: somehow gave the post a thumbs down. Hate that you can't change that shit.

DJ's left nut 09-23-2021 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 15850695)
Is Gay not the SAM backer? Pretty sure Spagnuolo said something about that being where he'd get reps.

I felt like that was their 'ease him in' role last year and that he was going to play more Will this year w/ Bolton as the Sam. At least that's what I would imagine based on their respective skill-sets.

But they also use slightly different LB terminology than I'm used to so I'm not real sure how they utilize a 'buck backer' or whatever they call it.

But if you use conventional terms to describe their roles, I would say that Gay, being far more athletic, is likely to be your 'Will' as conventionally described (coverage backer who occasionally rushes) and Bolton as your Sam (occasionally covers TEs but more frequently in a run support role; physical, downhill player), regardless of what they actually call them.

EDIT: **** YOUR THUMBS DOWN!!! YOU TO GO HELL AND YOU DIE!

Sassy Squatch 09-23-2021 03:05 PM

Do you bring Foster in to bolster our stable of brokedick degenerates?

duncan_idaho 09-23-2021 03:06 PM

I’d think if they added Collins the Chiefs would either be looking to use him as a LE in the 4man base alignment (Clark-Nnadi/Reed-Jones-Collins) or stand him up in a odd set, with Clark and Jones playing 5tech roles and Gay and Collins as your outside backers (335 look, basically).

It would give Spagnuolo some versatility in his defensive alignment and an odd front might let them maximize Jones’ skillset while making best use of what Clark is now. We’ve seen him stand a DE up a bit, but traditionally he likes those 4-man down lineups. Not sure it works.

It definitely would improve their matchup against teams that are looking to use their QB in the run game. Not sure it helps against a more traditional team like the Browns.

Though it would hopefully mean Ben Niemann is no longer an option except in case of injury at LB, so there’s that…

Sassy Squatch 09-23-2021 03:12 PM

Neimann will get his snaps because Reid values MuH eXpErIeNcE, even if the player is a raging dumpster fire taking snaps away from young and promising talent.

DJ's left nut 09-23-2021 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 15850722)
Do you bring Foster in to bolster our stable of brokedick degenerates?

Was there ever a conclusion on his degenerate status? My memory was the first thing was overblown and I don't recall if there was a second thing.

But he was damn good as a rookie.

Bring everyone in. All of 'em. If they're actually defensive ends (not these undersized glorified under-tackles) or linebackers that can play linebacker and not just !@#$ing special teams.

Tell Dave Toub that he's one of the highest paid STs coordinators in the game - that means he doesn't get to have 5 toys on the roster and is going to have to coach up what he has. We aren't carrying this many STs only players anymore because our defense sucks goat-ass.

MMXcalibur 09-23-2021 04:54 PM

I prefer this as opposed to the alternative: hoping magical pixie dust envelops the defense and they improve overnight.

Sassy Squatch 09-23-2021 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 15850836)
Was there ever a conclusion on his degenerate status? My memory was the first thing was overblown and I don't recall if there was a second thing.

But he was damn good as a rookie.

Bring everyone in. All of 'em. If they're actually defensive ends (not these undersized glorified under-tackles) or linebackers that can play linebacker and not just !@#$ing special teams.

Tell Dave Toub that he's one of the highest paid STs coordinators in the game - that means he doesn't get to have 5 toys on the roster and is going to have to coach up what he has. We aren't carrying this many STs only players anymore because our defense sucks goat-ass.

Arrested 5 times in the span of 2017-2018 for various drug charges and domestic violence accusations from that crazy chick he was with. Hasn't played in the 2019 or 2020 seasons due to his ****ed knee. Realistically the dude is ****ing washed but at this point they should be exploring ALL available options, even that moldy corner of the dumpster.

Bill Brasky 09-23-2021 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 15850408)

Shut the **** up with that common sense. We’re trying to blow up the defense here.

kcclone 09-23-2021 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberSponge (Post 15850364)
wonderful idea though. trading away our only real DE

Does it really matter?

Frank might have 2-3 games where he shows up and looks like a top half DE

DJ's left nut 09-23-2021 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcclone (Post 15851401)
Does it really matter?

Frank might have 2-3 games where he shows up and looks like a top half DE

It very much does not.

He's a street free agent caliber player at this point. Remember back when were were picking up guys like Jason Babin in-season?

He probably gave us about what we can expect from The Shart going forward.

Hog's Gone Fishin 09-23-2021 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 15850380)
He's terrible in coverage, and everything you read coming out of Detroit suggests a lack of effort.

No thanks.

Everybody thats ever played in Detroit played below their abilities , Barry Sanders even quit in his prime.

Bump 09-23-2021 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 15851424)
Everybody thats ever played in Detroit played below their abilities , Barry Sanders even quit in his prime.

and Calvin Johnson could have put up a few more 1200+ yd seasons easily

KChiefs1 09-23-2021 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 15850346)

https://media4.giphy.com/media/l0LEI...IRNI/giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baby Lee 09-23-2021 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 15851460)

Is it just me, or is an alarming amount of 'I Think You Should Leave' in that uncanny valley where, you sense that it should be funny, and you try to be amused, and you see that they worked hard on it, . . but it just doesn't work?

Weird, because I like Detroiters a good deal.

Titty Meat 09-23-2021 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 15851411)
It very much does not.

He's a street free agent caliber player at this point. Remember back when were were picking up guys like Jason Babin in-season?

He probably gave us about what we can expect from The Shart going forward.

BREET VEACH GREAT GM

T-post Tom 09-23-2021 11:02 PM

Expect Donks to make a run after losing Chubb & Jewell.

New World Order 09-23-2021 11:47 PM

His cap hit is 13 mil next year. No thanks.

Bowser 09-24-2021 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 15851502)

We'll deal with next year next year. Get him in here.

New World Order 09-24-2021 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15851522)
We'll deal with next year next year. Get him in here.

I’d rather have a guy like Brandin Cooks.

He’s cheap this year and would only cost us a combined 17 mil over the next 2 years. I suspect Texans would move him once they’re looking at 1-5 in about a month.

Let’s get that 18 offense back.

htismaqe 09-24-2021 07:15 AM

We don’t need Cooks. Pringle, Hardman, and Robinson all contributed. We need defense, period.

htismaqe 09-24-2021 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 15851474)
BREET VEACH GREAT GM

We won a Super Bowl. Come on, man.

duncan_idaho 09-24-2021 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 15851502)

Chiefs would be on the hook for only $10M of it and could cut him with no penalty if they need to do that. Detroit would be on the hook for the signing bonus and restructure bonus amounts that are left in dead money.

htismaqe 09-24-2021 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 15850695)

Edit: somehow gave the post a thumbs down. Hate that you can't change that shit.

Gay was learning the Sam position last year. His problem is he can’t get healthy enough to play.

duncan_idaho 09-24-2021 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 15850380)

No thanks.

I don’t care about his coverage grade if he’s primarily playing as a down LE. Dropping him into coverage would be rare in that instance.

And I can’t machine why his effort might be lacking in Detroit.

Hoover 09-24-2021 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 15851523)

He’s cheap this year and would only cost us a combined 17 mil over the next 2 years. I suspect Texans would move him once they’re looking at 1-5 in about a month.

Yes! Had the same thought watching the game last night

YayMike 09-24-2021 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 15851523)

Great idea. Sign me up.

Sassy Squatch 09-24-2021 10:19 AM

Jesus Christ....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jamie Collins + Alex Anzalone in coverage (per <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@PFF</a>) <br><br>13 targets, 13 catches, 168 yards, 2 TDs, 158.3 passer rating</p>&mdash; Jeremy Reisman (@DetroitOnLion) <a href="https://twitter.com/DetroitOnLion/status/1441372810975199233?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 24, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Simply Red 09-24-2021 10:22 AM

LANDON COLLINS HELL YES!!

rtmike 09-24-2021 10:43 AM

Not surprising.
Varch tried to sign him when he first left NE.

Sassy Squatch 09-24-2021 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtmike (Post 15851893)
Not surprising.
Varch tried to sign him when he first left NE.

You mean the second time?

Dunerdr 09-24-2021 10:48 AM

Ok its settled, we are trading for AJ Brown.

rtmike 09-24-2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 15851895)
You mean the second time?

Shit I don't know. How many times he leave them and go back?

BossChief 09-24-2021 01:35 PM

He can’t be on the field against a good QB, so I’d pass. Any QB looking fir a weak link to attack would point out Collins presnap and go no huddle to prevent him from being substituted.

I guess that’s what they do to Neimann though l, so…

Dunerdr 09-24-2021 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 15852115)
He can’t be on the field against a good QB, so I’d pass. Any QB looking fir a weak link to attack would point out Collins presnap and go no huddle to prevent him from being substituted.

Is that assuming hes playing as a line backer? Some believe hed be a DE in this scheme.

duncan_idaho 09-24-2021 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 15852115)

Yeah, if they want him as a LB. No, thank you.

But I suspect he'd be an E for them. So I'm interested.

FlaChief58 09-24-2021 04:42 PM

I'd take an open faced roast beef sandwich over what we have now.

Do it burnt peach!