ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Bills/ Bengals [cancelled - process in OP] (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=346826)

cmh6476 01-03-2023 08:15 AM

Bills/ Bengals [cancelled - process in OP]

In case anyone needs it spelled out, we would play at a neutral site if the AFCCG ends up being Chiefs vs. Bills. All other scenarios abide by the usual rules (so any other game the Chiefs play will be at home).

Old posts:
Spoiler!

Lzen 01-03-2023 08:20 AM

Will be interesting to see how they handle this. Adding another week to the season sounds like something that would be a logistics nightmare for the entire league. Not to mention fans that already have flights and hotels booked will be screwed. Of course, no matter what they do, some will be unhappy.

TLO 01-03-2023 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 16705639)
Will be interesting to see how they handle this. Adding another week to the season sounds like something that would be a logistics nightmare for the entire league. Not to mention fans that already have flights and hotels booked will be screwed. Of course, no matter what they do, some will be unhappy.

It's unfortunate, but there's going to be angry people no matter what the decision. I don't know what the right call is, I just know I'm glad I'm not the one making the decision

cmh6476 01-03-2023 08:23 AM

Quote:

Yes. I hope our fanbase doesn't come out being jerks about it, whatever happens. I can't imagine we would, but there are always a few exceptions. At this point if they just simply cancel the game and go from there, who cares?

Dartgod 01-03-2023 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmh6476 (Post 16705644)
Yes. I hope our fanbase doesn't come out being jerks about it, whatever happens. I can't imagine we would, but there are always a few exceptions. At this point if they just simply cancel the game and go from there, who cares?

I can have compassion and empathy for the guy in the hospital and still be pissed if they push the entire NFL schedule back one week. I have plane and game tickets in Vegas this weekend and will not be happy if that game is rescheduled.

Imon Yourside 01-03-2023 08:27 AM

Quote:

I would think playing right away today would be the best option for the fans but I'm sure the players aren't ready yet.

BleedingRed 01-03-2023 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 16705647)
I can have compassion and empathy for the guy in the hospital and still be pissed if they push the entire NFL schedule back one week. I have plane and game tickets in Vegas this weekend and will not be happy if that game is rescheduled.

This,

But not only this, the other 30 Teams don't deserve punishment because neither team wanted to continue the game. (Regardless if its right or wrong)

cmh6476 01-03-2023 08:28 AM

Quote:

I can understand that. I was also thinking about all those Bills fans that made the trip to the game last night. How they heck are they supposed to make a reschedule work? And what about all the money they spent on travel? I feel for all of them.

TwistedChief 01-03-2023 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmh6476 (Post 16705644)
At this point if they just simply cancel the game and go from there, who cares?

Well, probably fans of the Bengals and Bills who would clearly be disadvantaged as a result as it relates to potential postseason seeding.

BleedingRed 01-03-2023 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 16705654)
Well, probably fans of the Bengals and Bills who would clearly be disadvantaged as a result as it relates to potential postseason seeding.

To be fair that was those Teams' DECISION last night. It would be a unfair advantage to allow them to play the game which they choose to NOT play.

Coogs 01-03-2023 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imon Yourside (Post 16705651)
I would think playing right away today would be the best option for the fans but I'm sure the players aren't ready yet.

The window for playing today is probably pretty small right now.

Dartgod 01-03-2023 08:31 AM

I think the best solution that will be the least impactful to all NFL teams, including the Bengals and Bills, is to resume the game tomorrow and then reschedule their week 18 games for Monday night.

BleedingRed 01-03-2023 08:32 AM

As far as I am concerned both teams decided last night to forfeit the game.

Hoover 01-03-2023 08:32 AM

This is a shit sandwich for everyone involved, Bengals, Bills, and the NFL.

I think the best thing to do is just not play the game. Then do the seeding by winning %.

Chiefs would have the #1 seed, but still need to win.

Buffalo and Bengals still have a shot at the #1 seed.

kcclone 01-03-2023 08:32 AM

Quote:

That would be a league wide nightmare. If anything, it seems like let the Bills/Bengals play this weekend, then push the 4 teams affected to that following week.

Let the other 28 teams play this weekend.

BleedingRed 01-03-2023 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcclone (Post 16705662)
That would be a league wide nightmare. If anything, it seems like let the Bills/Bengals play this weekend, then push the 4 teams affected to that following week.

Let the other 28 teams play this weekend.

You literally cannot do this because of playoffs

TwistedChief 01-03-2023 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 16705656)
To be fair that was those Teams' DECISION last night. It would be a unfair advantage to allow them to play the game which they choose to NOT play.

It's an unfair advantage to allow them to choose to play a game in the next few days or next week that they chose not to continue last night because someone nearly died on the field?

Yeah, that seems like a solid and persuasive argument.

kcclone 01-03-2023 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 16705657)
The window for playing today is probably pretty small right now.

They flew back to Buffalo, didn't they? I see no logistical way to play today.

Spott 01-03-2023 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 16705652)
This,

But not only this, the other 30 Teams don't deserve punishment because neither team wanted to continue the game. (Regardless if its right or wrong)

I don’t know that the other 30 teams view getting an extra week off as punishment. I’m sure the players would be all for it.

scho63 01-03-2023 08:36 AM

There is no easy answer, there will be plenty of critics, and life goes on.

It is the way it is.

BleedingRed 01-03-2023 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 16705665)
It's an unfair advantage to allow them to choose to play a game in the next few days or next week that they chose not to continue last night because someone nearly died on the field?

Yeah, that seems like a solid and persuasive argument.

Yes because of playoff implications, it IS an unfair advantage.

We had a player off himself in front of our COACH and GM and we played two days later, as scheduled.

"Nearly Died"

We have seen players become PERMANENTLY PARALYZED and they continued to play.

The unfair advantage is some teams would be RESTING players next week. Now this throws a wrench into the entire seeding issue.

BleedingRed 01-03-2023 08:37 AM

Ravens can win the division

Chiefs can get one seed

The implications of this single game to the entire playoff seedings are kinda huge.

notorious 01-03-2023 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 16705670)

It is the way it is.

(shrugs shoulders and nods head in agreement)

TwistedChief 01-03-2023 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 16705671)
Yes because of playoff implications, it IS an unfair advantage.

We had a player off himself in front of our COACH and GM and we played two days later, as scheduled.

"Nearly Died"

We have seen players become PERMANENTLY PARALYZED and they continued to play.

The unfair advantage is some teams would be RESTING players next week. Now this throws a wrench into the entire seeding issue.

Do you think the Chiefs would've played the game if Belcher had killed himself in the parking lot immediately before the game? Answer: no.

We now know that he didn't die on the field. But at the time, none of those players had any idea if he'd make it to the hospital or even off the field alive. Not the same as a guy being taken away by an ambulance on a stretcher with fear of a potential paralyzing injury.

arrwheader 01-03-2023 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank Hill (Post 16705642)
It's unfortunate, but there's going to be angry people no matter what the decision. I don't know what the right call is, I just know I'm glad I'm not the one making the decision

Yea it is unfortunate but I think the Bills just need to take the loss and move on. The score was 7-3, although there was much game to be played and this situation takes all control out of their hands...totally unfair thing BUT the other outcomes have way more effect on the league and other teams.

simplest thing would be 1 of two option.

1. Resume the game tomorrow.
2. Bills take the loss.

The first one makes the team play on a short week and calls into question the very thing this whole deal is about, players safety. That is a bad look imo.

If it was a the Chiefs in this situation I would rather go into the PO as a 2 seed then play 2 games in 4 days and then another short week into the playoffs potentially. Risking further injury and especially after the team is shell shocked.

Just forfeit the game move on.

I think you can also look at it like an OT game in reverse where the arguments are both teams should touch the ball etc. Well, the game has to end at some point as unfair as it is that Mahomes didn't get to touch the ball in the 18 AFCCG. I know that the situation is completely different but freak injury (assuming the cardiac arrest was from injury) made the game be canceled and you just take the final score.

luv 01-03-2023 08:40 AM

I would think they play tonight or tomorrow night. I know there's no MNF games the last week of the season, but Bills/Patriots and Bengals/Ravens games could be played Monday night.

There's really no way to be completely fair to the Bills or Bengals, or to the fans and stadium staff that will have to rearrange things.

BleedingRed 01-03-2023 08:43 AM

Forfeiting the game for both teams is only thing that makes sense

LoneWolf 01-03-2023 08:47 AM

Easy solution is to play the game tomorrow and move their week 18 games from Sunday to Monday. Then you make sure if they have to play on wildcard weekend that their games are on Sunday and not Saturday. This gives both teams one day extra rest as compared to a normal Thursday night game for their games on Monday and still gives them the same amount of rest as any of the teams that have to play on Saturday the first week of the playoffs.

This has the least amount of disruption to the rest of the league and still treats the Bengals and Bills with as much fairness as possible.

dirk digler 01-03-2023 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 16705683)
I would think they play tonight or tomorrow night. I know there's no MNF games the last week of the season, but Bills/Patriots and Bengals/Ravens games could be played Monday night.

There's really no way to be completely fair to the Bills or Bengals, or to the fans and stadium staff that will have to rearrange things.

National championship game is Monday night though.

Tough decision but I think they need to play it tomorrow or the Bills take the L.

arrwheader 01-03-2023 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 16705686)
Forfeiting the game for both teams is only thing that makes sense

or this (see my post above) Call it a tie or whatever but it makes 0 sense to me to have these guys play on short week 4 days apart after a guy about died on a field and or adjust the entire league which has massive implications on multiple fronts.

It is a freak occurrence everyone has to understand that and as such it needs to be mitigated as much as possible, that being keep it between the two teams.

cmh6476 01-03-2023 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 16705691)
Easy solution is to play the game tomorrow and move their week 18 games from Sunday to Monday. Then you make sure if they have to play on wildcard weekend that their games are on Sunday and not Saturday. This gives both teams one day extra rest as compared to a normal Thursday night game for their games on Monday and still gives them the same amount of rest as any of the teams that have to play on Saturday the first week of the playoffs.

This has the least amount of disruption to the rest of the league and still treats the Bengals and Bills with as much fairness as possible.

There is also one Monday Night Football game in the Wild Card Round of the Playoffs now, which helps.

displacedinMN 01-03-2023 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 16705670)

It is the way it is.

I know it is not quite the same, but admin has the same issues when calling off school for snow.

Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

We didnt today-and parents are mad. But it is not snowing, it may snow later.
Cant win or make everyone happy.

CupidStunt 01-03-2023 08:49 AM

To me playing tomorrow, and their next games next Monday, seems quite logical.

I 1000000% support not playing yesterday, but what is the argument against tomorrow? Obviously we all hope for Hamlin's recovery, but none of the players or coaches can change that. He'll have his family and a ton of other support there. I'm just not sure what good it does the team sitting at home. And it seems like after the initial shock wears off, of course it's still a tragedy, but life has to go on... especially if we get the best news possible that he's recovering.

Eleazar 01-03-2023 08:51 AM

Quote:

There's nothing wrong with objecting to a league plan that would upset a travel and a vacation that have been paid for. People acting like you can't talk about anything but the player's health are being ridiculous.

dirk digler 01-03-2023 08:52 AM

pft

Quote:

We await further information regarding Bills safety Damar Hamlin, who remains at last word in critical condition at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center after experiencing cardiac arrest on the field during last night’s game. We have nothing at this time to say about any other issues in the NFL, and we have suspended coverage of all other topics or subjects until further notice.

That said, there is a significant open question as to the status of what was one of the most significant late-season Monday night games in years. The NFL said during a conference call held not long after midnight that it will address the status of the game at the appropriate time.

It’s currently unclear when the appropriate time will be. The simple reality is that, with Week 18 set to commence in only four days, there’s not much time for last night’s game to resume, without significant alterations to the remainder of the schedule for the 2022 season.

One possibility would be to move the game to the coming weekend, with all of Week 18 moved back by a week — and with the playoffs nudged back by a week and the bye between the conference championship games and the Super Bowl eliminated. That happened in 2001, when a full week of September games was postponed until the very end of the regular season after 9/11, with the playoffs delayed by a week and only seven days between the conference championships and the Super Bowl.

The other possibility would be to cancel the game, and to determine playoff seeding based on winning percentages, given that the Bills and Bengals would have played only 16 games. The NFL was prepared to implement such measures during the 2020 season, when it seemed very possible that the pandemic would result in the cancellation of one or more games.

However the schedule plays out, neither the Bills nor the Bengals should be expected to play again until the appropriate medical professionals believe that the men who were directly affected by last night’s events are able to do so. At a time when mental health receives more attention than ever, it’s critical that the people affected by last night’s incident are in the right and proper frame of mind to continue playing football, under any circumstances.

Eleazar 01-03-2023 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CupidStunt (Post 16705699)

I 1000000% support not playing yesterday, but what is the argument against tomorrow?

That makes the most sense to me. The league could push their final game back to Monday night as an accommodation, maybe do the same for a wild card round game if they play in one.

Otherwise, just eliminate the bye week before the Super Bowl and move everything back a week.

People should grant that the NFL is in an impossible situation here, and there is no solution that is going to make everyone happy or be completely fair to everyone.

arrwheader 01-03-2023 08:55 AM

Quote:

I 1000000% support not playing yesterday, but what is the argument against tomorrow? Obviously we all hope for Hamlin's recovery, but none of the players or coaches can change that. He'll have his family and a ton of other support there. I'm just not sure what good it does the team sitting at home. And it seems like after the initial shock wears off, of course it's still a tragedy, but life has to go on... especially if we get the best news possible that he's recovering.

I agree with most of this.

I think a part of it is they are wanting to see what happens with him because if you play Wednesday and he passes away or is deemed status up in the air or something during or before the game then what? It could take awhile for test before they know his situation and especially if you are going to try and play tomorrow. All the logistics involved in that.

That is why I think playing may not even happen and I am not sure that it should.

cmh6476 01-03-2023 08:56 AM

Quote:

and, the opportunity for the team to rally behind him and this tragedy

BigBeauford 01-03-2023 08:56 AM

Quote:

I'm sure it was a traumatic moment and a day off seems appropriate, but I think tommorow (today)is go time. If myself and other military folks can continue on after losing a brother, these men have it in them to continue on as well. Hell, I've worked in an office job where a guy collapsed and died walking up the stairs that everyone loved (they even broke out the wall defibrillator kit in front of many people to shock him back), and we continued working the next day.

Eleazar 01-03-2023 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 16705705)
pft
Quote:

We await further information regarding Bills safety Damar Hamlin, who remains at last word in critical condition at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center after experiencing cardiac arrest on the field during last night’s game. We have nothing at this time to say about any other issues in the NFL, and we have suspended coverage of all other topics or subjects until further notice.

That said, there is a significant open question as to the status of what was one of the most significant late-season Monday night games in years.

PFT: "Because we're afraid people will roast us on Twitter, we've suspended all coverage of all other issues in the NFL beyond Damar Hamlin's health.

Anyway, there's the open question of when the game will be rescheduled..."

:doh!:

mr. tegu 01-03-2023 08:59 AM

Just schedule it for tomorrow and make the other games Monday. By tomorrow (and any time today really) they will likely know the long term prognosis of the player so the uncertainty and mystery will be gone.

TLO 01-03-2023 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 16705691)

This is the solution I'm leaning towards

smithandrew051 01-03-2023 09:03 AM

If the game (understandably) can’t be played today or tomorrow, then the only option that makes sense to me is to cancel it and not award a victory to either. Win percentage determines seeding, followed by head to head.

It isn’t fair to the Bengals and Bills, but I don’t see an option that would be fair to them and the rest of the league.

I know it sounds callous, but it’s probably best to keep the unfair things limited to as few of teams as possible.

Hoover 01-03-2023 09:09 AM

Quote:

One possibility would be to move the game to the coming weekend, with all of Week 18 moved back by a week — and with the playoffs nudged back by a week and the bye between the conference championship games and the Super Bowl eliminated. That happened in 2001, when a full week of September games was postponed until the very end of the regular season after 9/11, with the playoffs delayed by a week and only seven days between the conference championships and the Super Bowl.

The other possibility would be to cancel the game, and to determine playoff seeding based on winning percentages, given that the Bills and Bengals would have played only 16 games. The NFL was prepared to implement such measures during the 2020 season, when it seemed very possible that the pandemic would result in the cancellation of one or more games.
I think option two is the only viable option.

For the life of me I can't see the NFL not playing, or only having one game on weekend where there were going to have two stand alone Saturday games and a full slate on Sunday.

I really thing the best case is to simply not play the game and simply move on to next week. It gives the Bengals and Bills time to move on. It doesn't disrupt the rest of the season or the playoffs.

Marcellus 01-03-2023 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 16705721)
If the game (understandably) can’t be played today or tomorrow, then the only option that makes sense to me is to cancel it and not award a victory to either. Win percentage determines seeding, followed by head to head.

It isn’t fair to the Bengals and Bills, but I don’t see an option that would be fair to them and the rest of the league.

I know it sounds callous, but it’s probably best to keep the unfair things limited to as few of teams as possible.

The 2 teams involved are the only 2 teams it should affect. It is what it is.

Hoover 01-03-2023 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 16705721)

Exactly.

The problem is that it will appear to be rather cruel to the Bills. They fall out of first place, lose a player, and still have to play a tough divisional game next week.

The Bengals lock up the division under this scenario correct, so maybe the Ravens are butt hurt, but hey there team is a mess anyway.

smithandrew051 01-03-2023 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 16705731)

Yeah I agree.

It sounds cold and all, but that’s the only way.

Abba-Dabba 01-03-2023 09:13 AM

Quote:

However the schedule plays out, neither the Bills nor the Bengals should be expected to play again until the appropriate medical professionals believe that the men who were directly affected by last night’s events are able to do so.
Wonder how many employers would allow their employees to take an indefinite amount of time off if one of the coworkers goes down with a heart attack? Try it next time Chuck from IT or Larry from Grounds goes down. See how many days you get.

Not to be insensitive or anything. But aren't these guys football players? Don't they portray themselves as gladiators and warriors? Know what a gladiator and warrior does when the guy next to them goes down? Keeps going.

This isn't even the first time this has happened on the field of play. Some how Hank Gathers dying on the court and what happened after is somehow forgotten. There is no time to reschedule. Extending the whole league a week is a nonstarter. Bills should either accept they need get back on the field by tomorrow or accept the forfeit.

RaidersOftheCellar 01-03-2023 09:14 AM

Apparently the Bills already flew back to Buffalo. I'm guessing it won't be resumed tonight.

They need to figure out a way to complete this game soon. What happened is really unfortunate, but if the exact same thing had happened to him a few days before the game, would anyone be talking about cancelling the game permanently? I highly doubt it.

Red Dawg 01-03-2023 09:14 AM

America is so weak.

luv 01-03-2023 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 16705693)
National championship game is Monday night though.

Tough decision but I think they need to play it tomorrow or the Bills take the L.

I'm sure the games could be aired on networks not airing the National Championship.

smithandrew051 01-03-2023 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 16705734)
Exactly.

The problem is that it will appear to be rather cruel to the Bills. They fall out of first place, lose a player, and still have to play a tough divisional game next week.

The Bengals lock up the division under this scenario correct, so maybe the Ravens are butt hurt, but hey there team is a mess anyway.

It sucks. The whole situation is shit. No way around it.

But this game just isn’t fair sometimes. Seasons get wrecked in week 1 when franchise QBs go down with season ending injuries. Careers get ruined due to freak accidents. It’s not ****ing fair, but every team faces the same or similar risk every week.

RaidersOftheCellar 01-03-2023 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberSponge (Post 16705736)
Wonder how many employers would allow their employees to take an indefinite amount of time off if one of the coworkers goes down with a heart attack? Try it next time Chuck from IT or Larry from Grounds goes down. See how many days you get.

Not to be insensitive or anything. But aren't these guys football players? Don't they portray themselves as gladiators and warriors? Know what a gladiator and warrior does when the guy next to them goes down? Keeps going.

This isn't even the first time this has happened on the field of play. Some how Hank Gathers dying on the court and what happened after is somehow forgotten. There is no time to reschedule. Extending the whole league a week is a nonstarter. Bills should either accept they need get back on the field by tomorrow or accept the forfeit.

Yep. I'd say leave it up to the Bills. If they're not up for it within the next few days, they need to forfeit.

Shiver Me Timbers 01-03-2023 09:17 AM

Quote:

Right with you Dart. I have already changed my schedule once, due to not realizing the game would be on Saturday. Bought tickets that said Sunday Game. Tickets then came TBA. Meeting friends who fly to Europe the following week.

Hammock Parties 01-03-2023 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 16705740)

But this game just isn’t fair sometimes.

This is going to go down with the Music City Miracle and Wide Right in Bills lore.

boilertiger 01-03-2023 09:17 AM

They could just play week 18 out as normal and only resume the Bengals Bills game if needed the following week (pushing back the playoffs). If this happens, its highly likely the game is a dead rubber for Bengals and they will just sit all their starters.

Marcellus 01-03-2023 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberSponge (Post 16705736)

I don't want to here these guys compare themselves to soldiers, warriors, or sports being similar to going to war ever again.

I get last night was traumatic, hell I wasn't in the mood to watch football let alone play it afterwards but its time to man up and stop playing victim. This is life, it was an unfortunate accident and the guy is still alive.

Ming the Merciless 01-03-2023 09:19 AM

Quote:

1000% this. if they cant / dont want to play it, then they should just concede the L and move on.

CupidStunt 01-03-2023 09:20 AM

Quote:

Cancelling it effects more teams than just them. If they use win percentage, the Ravens could beat Cincy next week and still not get the division. They need Cincy to play this game and lose.

I understand your point, but that's the whole thing. There's no solution that doesn't effect more than just these 2 teams. That's why I'm quite certain they'll play it. The logistics aren't even that hard. It's just handling the PR and making it a fair and reasonable situation for the players to have to play.

Abba-Dabba 01-03-2023 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaidersOftheCellar (Post 16705742)
Yep. I'd say leave it up to the Bills. If they're not up for it within the next few days, they need to forfeit.

Absolutely. The show must go on. Just the way it is.

Graystoke 01-03-2023 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 16705738)
America is so weak.

What?

arrwheader 01-03-2023 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boilertiger (Post 16705748)
They could just play week 18 out as normal and only resume the Bengals Bills game if needed the following week (pushing back the playoffs). If this happens, its highly likely the game is a dead rubber for Bengals and they will just sit all their starters.

Logistics.

All the people buying tickets and trying to plan for playoff games not knowing where or when it is to be played?

Besides the game outcome IS needed in any scenario.

CupidStunt 01-03-2023 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boilertiger (Post 16705748)

I want to like the idea, but the "if needed" part is redundant - it's absolutely guaranteed that some team(s) will need an outcome to this game to determine their seeding or season altogether. Other than the Bills-Bengals themselves, that is.

TEX 01-03-2023 09:22 AM

Quote:

Fact.

Ming the Merciless 01-03-2023 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 16705746)
This is going to go down with the Music City Miracle and Wide Right in Bills lore.

100%

Marcellus 01-03-2023 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CupidStunt (Post 16705753)
Cancelling it effects more teams than just them. If they use win percentage, the Ravens could beat Cincy next week and still not get the division. They need Cincy to play this game and lose.

I understand your point, but that's the whole thing. There's no solution that doesn't effect more than just these 2 teams. That's why I'm quite certain they'll play it. The logistics aren't even that hard. It's just handling the PR and making it a fair and reasonable situation for the players to have to play.

You don't really cancel anything, play tonight or tomorrow or Buffalo takes the L and you move on.

There is no "fair" at this point. That ship already sailed. It just is what it is and the 2 teams involved, mainly Buffalo will have to to take the hit if it comes down to it.

We have heard 1,000 times since last night its just a game, ok then well just take the L. Injuries affect the outcome of games all the time.

Ming the Merciless 01-03-2023 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 16705738)
America is so weak.

if only the mods could show some strength and ban your ass, you god damn bundle of logs

CupidStunt 01-03-2023 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrwheader (Post 16705758)
Logistics.

All the people buying tickets and trying to plan for playoff games not knowing where or when it is to be played?

Besides the game outcome IS needed in any scenario.

It's not logistics. They'll make that work easy enough (just like during covid), the stadiums will sell out all the same, viewers will tune in all the same (maybe even moreso).

It's PR and their genuine or feigned concern for "making" the 2 teams play after an "appropriate" amount of time.

arrwheader 01-03-2023 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CupidStunt (Post 16705753)

I think the scenario of what someone mentioned about playing tomorrow then pushing games back Monday and adjusting those teams PO sched to the later game is what makes the most sense however,

I think that is not accounting for the Bills players and what they will think about that. They may have a mutiny about it. You also make two teams play on a short week after a freak injury. You take that situation out of it if you just don't play it and let everyone reset for Ssunday. If you just treat it like the bills lost a key player and lost the game because of it then it is easier.

Ming the Merciless 01-03-2023 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrwheader (Post 16705771)
If you just treat it like the bills lost a key player and lost the game because of it then it is easier.

If they can't play by Thursday night, and be willing to play by the following Monday then they should absolutely take an L

arrwheader 01-03-2023 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 16705763)
You don't really cancel anything, play tonight or tomorrow or Buffalo takes the L and you move on.

There is no "fair" at this point. That ship already sailed. It just is what it is and the 2 teams involved, mainly Buffalo will have to to take the hit if it comes down to it.

We have heard 1,000 times since last night its just a game, ok then well just take the L. Injuries affect the outcome of games all the time.

The more i think about it that is where I am at. Bills should treat it like a key player got hurt (Josh Allen) and they lost the game. Move on.

They were down when it happened. Sucks but everything else just makes it more complicated.

notorious 01-03-2023 09:28 AM

They shouldn’t adjust the playoffs. Play the makeup game tomorrow, week 18 on Monday. Give them the Sunday slots for the wildcard round.

We don’t need to get too carried away here.

Hammock Parties 01-03-2023 09:29 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">(Ignoring games canceled by player strikes.)</p>&mdash; Quirky Research (@QuirkyResearch) <a href="https://twitter.com/QuirkyResearch/status/1610297041350967297?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 3, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Abba-Dabba 01-03-2023 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 16705749)
I don't want to here these guys compare themselves to soldiers, warriors, or sports being similar to going to war ever again.

I get last night was traumatic, hell I wasn't in the mood to watch football let alone play it afterwards but its time to man up and stop playing victim. This is life, it was an unfortunate accident and the guy is still alive.

I don't want to hear it either. Hype themselves like they are going to war then hide behind a curtain when some real shit hits the fan. Not like these men don't try to physically hurt each other every play anyway. Get over it an move on. He's alive and in a place receiving the attention he needs. Get you million dollar asses back out there and entertain us!

Graystoke 01-03-2023 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 16705766)
if only the mods could show some strength and ban your ass, you god damn bundle of logs

Mods please make this happen.

arrwheader 01-03-2023 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CupidStunt (Post 16705768)
It's not logistics. They'll make that work easy enough (just like during covid), the stadiums will sell out all the same, viewers will tune in all the same (maybe even moreso).

It's PR and their genuine or feigned concern for "making" the 2 teams play after an "appropriate" amount of time.

Yea true but you are talking about not knowing if a game is even going to be played or when the playoffs will start and what seeding is what. Idk i think there is a lot more that goes into it than just the fans getting tickets but yae covid is a good point they had contingency plans.

SithCeNtZ 01-03-2023 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 16705740)

But this game just isn’t fair sometimes. Seasons get wrecked in week 1 when franchise QBs go down with season ending injuries. Careers get ruined due to freak accidents. It’s not ****ing fair, but every team faces the same or similar risk every week.

It's actually not nearly as bad of a situation as people are making it out to be. Yes it sucks for the Ravens maybe, but for the two teams involved there are upsides even if no one wants to talk about it. The fact is, is that they both essentially got a bye week this week, playing one quarter of football. And if it's called a tie and the chiefs win then both teams get to rest their starters next week as well. Give guys time off if they need a mental health break. So you got two weeks to rest up your team and refocus and yes while you'd love the bye in the playoffs and homefield, 2 weeks off is still 2 weeks off. By the time the second round starts both teams will have played less than the chiefs in the past month. You can't say that's nothing.

ThyKingdomCome15 01-03-2023 09:30 AM

C'mon roger, hurry up.

SupDock 01-03-2023 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15 (Post 16705789)
Lol, the NFL isn't adding a 19th for only one game.

If they did, it would most likely be this game that is the only one played week 19.

Ming the Merciless 01-03-2023 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupDock (Post 16705794)
If they did,

they wont