ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Mellinger: Marcus Peters is gone. The Chiefs have some explaining to do. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=314080)

KCrockaholic 02-24-2018 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13434817)
Is it possible that Peters ****ed up on his assignments so much that it compromised the defense?

I'd lean towards no, but he is a freelancer style. The reason he's traded has zero to do with his on field production.

lcarus 02-24-2018 03:36 AM

Assuming, just for fun, that the return the Chiefs will get is a late 1st, late 5th, and next years probably-late 2nd, that's a win for the Rams. I mean, if you had 3 picks like that you'd be damn lucky to get 1 player who is among the best of the best at his position. Especially as important as a corner is on a modern-day NFL roster.

I see no way this is a win for KC. Unless the return is quite a bit more than we all expect. They're either stupid or they were forced into a position where they had to take a loss and get back whatever they could. It's sad that I don't know 100% for sure it's not the stupid option.

Also, Peters won in this trade. I'm sure he's happy to go to LA....

KCrockaholic 02-24-2018 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 13434829)
Assuming, just for fun, that the return the Chiefs will get is a late 1st, late 5th, and next years probably-late 2nd, that's a win for the Rams. I mean, if you had 3 picks like that you'd be damn lucky to get 1 player who is among the best of the best at his position. Especially as important as a corner is on a modern-day NFL roster.

I see no way this is a win for KC. Unless the return is quite a bit more than we all expect. They're either stupid or they were forced into a position where they had to take a loss and get back whatever they could. It's sad that I don't know 100% for sure it's not the stupid option.

Also, Peters won in this trade. I'm sure he's happy to go to LA....

All of this is probably the truth. Other than at this point we're still debating over what we got in return.

Coochie liquor 02-24-2018 05:47 AM

What am I gonna get in return for buying my first jersey in at least a decade? ****ing loved rocking my fairly new MP22 Jersey. The Clarks owe me a new jersey. If I knew buying a jersey would end this way, I woulda got a ****ing Sutton jersey.

007 02-24-2018 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coochie liquor (Post 13434844)
What am I gonna get in return for buying my first jersey in at least a decade? ****ing loved rocking my fairly new MP22 Jersey. The Clarks owe me a new jersey. If I knew buying a jersey would end this way, I woulda got a ****ing Sutton jersey.

Thats why I got a jersey number hardly any player for the Chiefs ever chooses and put my last name on it.

Chiefs Moon 02-24-2018 06:44 AM

"At least it would be something that didn’t leave the sinking suspicion that the Chiefs just caved to the ugliest parts of their fan base and the weakest part of human nature by avoiding discomfort even as it sets them back competitively."

Check me on this-- Is Sam saying many in the Chiefs fan base are....deplorable? And the Chiefs appear to have taken cues from bigots to make this particular personnel decision?

If that's what Sam suspects, that's quite a charge. Some might call it ugly.

I don't like Sam's insinuation the Chiefs caved to racist Chiefs fans. At all. To end his piece with that accusation not only isn't helpful, it's divisive and irresponsible. How do the Chiefs defend themselves?

Here's a thought: Peters may have been a poor fit for this locker room. He was kicked off his team in college. Was there subtle racism in that decision? Did Washington cave to a Neanderthal fan or alumni base? Or, was Peters out of line and deserved his punishment?

There's an arrogance and condescending tone to Sam's piece that I find off-putting. He has painted the top people in the Chiefs organization as weak, uncaring, cynical, and lacking character. Sam wanted Bob Sutton fired. Fine. Many of us would have welcomed that. But Andy Reid saw a different, more pressing problem: His defense was too old, too slow, and too soft. We also know Peters quit on his team and had to be suspended for, perhaps, for more than what happened on the field of play. So maybe his locker room was in trouble-- and that's not up for a vote. If Reid suspects his message or Sutton's isn't respected, he has to make changes. That's true in any company.

Sam obviously doesn't like the way Andy Reid is running his team and the defensive side of the ball. Got it. Good topic for all. But this?

"the sinking suspicion that the Chiefs just caved to the ugliest parts of their fan base and the weakest part of human nature"

Really? Where do we go from here?

Reid/Veach decided to rebuild their defense. But, not the way Sam declared necessary. Now that the Chiefs have traded Peters (accommodated Peter's request?), Sam says their motives are toxic, not the player who has a history of toxicity-- and I'm not talking about the anthem. I don't have to. There's so many other incidents to justify a trade. A trade that hasn't been announced.

The Chiefs drafted Peters. That's on them. If they move him and get fair value, what the hell is wrong with that? They are trying to correct a past mistake. A drafting mistake. We don't even know what we got back for Peters. Why write the article when the transaction isn't known beyond that a trade was agreed to? Why publish an insidious charge regarding the character of those running the Chiefs? It's hard to unring that bell. Does Sam know something we don't?

Marcus Peters is loaded with talent. Maybe he'll be a Hall of Fame DB. But the decision to move this particular player isn't prima facie evidence the Chiefs caved to a vocal, racist fan base.

This is something the writer should have to defend. He leveled the charge. Sam-- a brilliant writer-- does not stand on higher moral ground. Yes, there are some fans who harbor prejudice, but to accuse the Chiefs to caving to that distinct minority is a bridge too far. For me.

Warrick 02-24-2018 07:07 AM

Classic cp meltdown

jspchief 02-24-2018 09:39 AM

Lol at the the Donald speculation. And they aren't getting a first either. I'll bet dollars to dimes that this is a net loss in talent.

jspchief 02-24-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Is it possible that Peters ****ed up on his assignments so much that it compromised the defense?

Did you watch the games? Peters was almost never thrown at. The guy shut down his half of the field.

Coogs 02-24-2018 09:42 AM

Quote:

I'm going to go with yes here. Numbers back it up. So does the eye test.

jspchief 02-24-2018 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 13435035)
I'm going to go with yes here. Numbers back it up. So does the eye test.

You have to be joking. His play on the field is the last thing to factor into this.

Coogs 02-24-2018 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 13435042)
You have to be joking. His play on the field is the last thing to factor into this.

No, I'm not really joking. I think he compromised the entire defense on a play by play basis.

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-24-2018 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrick (Post 13434863)
Classic cp meltdown

Justified.

KCCHIEFS27 02-24-2018 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 13434729)
I know...3 of the top 11 picks were CBs in 2016. How dare they think that.

CHunt has his "yes men" in place...

Name me one CB, if they went down with injury, a teams playoff chance/super bowl chances would greatly diminish.

Red Beans 02-24-2018 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 13435042)

Maybe, but maybe not. There's the possibility that he said, "**** the old man, and this scheme" and was freelancing a shit ton. I don't watch enough film to know. But it is a possibility.