ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Games "Just a matter of time until KC gets an NBA team" (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=315442)

eDave 05-19-2018 07:06 AM

"Just a matter of time until KC gets an NBA team"

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">NBA Executive: “Jarrett, going to be real honest with you, Kansas City will get an NBA team at some point. It’s a real thing I’ve heard from multiple sources. Just a matter of time. Seattle and KC to me are most valuable markets for league expansion when it makes sense.”</p>&mdash; Jarrett Sutton (@JarrettTSutton) <a href="https://twitter.com/JarrettTSutton/status/997522223073234944?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 18, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MVChiefFan 05-19-2018 07:19 AM

I really hope this happens, because I’m getting kind of tired of rooting for the Phoenix Suns. The first time they’ve ever had the #1 pick and I’m POSITIVE they’ll find a way to screw it up.

Discuss Thrower 05-19-2018 07:22 AM

Seems logical to me, though I think barring some magic economic boom that KC is saturated on an avenues for sports spending.

Load the bench up with KU/KSU/WSU/MU G-League / Euro caliber dudes and hope the lottery gods are favorable.

GloucesterChief 05-19-2018 07:32 AM

Nah, KC and Seattle are the threats that the NBA uses to extract taxpayer money for new stadiums for its existing teams.

Just like LA was for the NFL. I am betting St. Louis and Oakland now move into that position.

ptlyon 05-19-2018 07:37 AM

Mahomes will play point guard when he's not busy winning Lombardi's

ChiliConCarnage 05-19-2018 07:42 AM

I think that died with OKC. The NBA should be looking at international expansion

Rasputin 05-19-2018 08:07 AM

I just assume Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

GloucesterChief 05-19-2018 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage (Post 13561997)
I think that died with OKC. The NBA should be looking at international expansion

OKC was basically the NBA and the owners colluding to commit fraud against the city of Seattle.

KChiefs1 05-19-2018 08:46 AM

I don't believe it.

Best22 05-19-2018 09:02 AM

Maybe if someone relocates

Or if there is relocation plus the addition of one more team

OKC is hardly a problem. A Kansas City team could draw from a larger fanbase than OKC (Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska)

Simply Red 05-19-2018 09:24 AM

Not to be ugly - but I should hope so, Oklahoma City has a team!

Eleazar 05-19-2018 09:57 AM

It seems like the NBA has the least parity in championships among the major sports, so I did some digging. Looks like it is true.

---

Number of teams that have won championships since 1990:

MLB: (16) CIN, MIN, TOR, ATL, NYY, MIA, ARI, ANA, BOS, CHW, STL, PHI, SFG, KC, CHC, HOU
NFL: (14) NYG, WAS, DAL, SF, GB, DEN, STL, BAL, NE, TB, PIT, IND, SEA, PHI
NHL: (13*) PIT, MON, NYR, NJD, COL, DET, DAL, TB, CAR, ANA, CHI, BOS, LAK
NBA: (10**) CHI, HOU, SAS, LAL, DET, MIA, BOS, DAL, GSW, CLE

In progress:
*3 of the 4 remaining teams have never won a Stanley Cup.
**All four remaining teams have won the Finals since 1990.

-

Number of cities with a championship since 1990 that are not a top-10 media market:

MLB: (7) CIN, MIN, TOR, MIA, ARI, STL, KC
NFL: (8) GB, DEN, STL, BAL, TB, PIT, IND, SEA
NHL: (6*) PIT, MON, COL, DET, TB, CAR
NBA: (4**) SAS, DET, MIA, CLE

In Progress:
*1 of the 4 remaining teams is in a top-10 media market
**3 of the 4 remaining teams are in a top-10 media market

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-19-2018 10:01 AM

I would worry about Kansas City continuing to support the team after the initial shine wears off. They already lost one NBA franchise, albeit in a different era, and they've already abandoned the Royals again. Kansas City is a fairweather sports town.

GloucesterChief 05-19-2018 10:03 AM

The problem with the NBA is that one superstar or two superstars on one team can pretty much dominate an era due to the number of players in the NBA being smaller. The NHL kind of has an answer to this as a goalie that is hot can pretty much bring a lesser talented team through the playoffs and even win a cup ie Roy in Montreal.

Eleazar 05-19-2018 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 13562127)
The problem with the NBA is that one superstar or two superstars on one team can pretty much dominate an era due to the number of players in the NBA being smaller. The NHL kind of has an answer to this as a goalie that is hot can pretty much bring a lesser talented team through the playoffs and even win a cup ie Roy in Montreal.

I can see the argument about a team in the NHL riding a hot goaltender a long way, but isn't that kind of apples to oranges? Even a great individual performance a la Patrick Roy isn't going to be repeated every year. In the NBA, the handful of dominant players remain more or less dominant all the time.