ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Public Service Announcement: If you've replaced your roof... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=317721)

Rain Man 09-27-2018 12:07 AM

Public Service Announcement: If you've replaced your roof...

...update your homeowner's insurance policy.

I replaced my roof in 2016 due to a hail claim. I got my annual insurance policy update (20+ legalese pages), and I happened to notice that it said to check my reported roof age because that affects my cost.

It turns out that the claims department doesn't talk to the billing department, so they didn't update my roof age when it was replaced. They were assuming that I had a 20+ year old roof, and the difference in policy cost is notable - over $400 per year for my house. I updated the records and my premium went down notably.

Now I'm going through the hassle of trying to get credit back for the last two years where I've overpaid. It seems like a straightforward argument, but we'll see how much fighting it takes.

I just thought I'd share this, because it's a big price difference. I didn't know that it was that important, and I assumed that the insurance company had the right date given that it was replaced via a claim.

Nickhead 09-27-2018 12:18 AM

that's like asking the government to repeal a tax ROFL

FAX 09-27-2018 01:31 AM

Another sad tale that exemplifies the anguish experienced by those who dismiss the advantages of thatch.

FAX

kysirsoze 09-27-2018 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 13766088)
that's like asking the government to repeal a tax ROFL

Well maybe not repeal, but the government certainly repays taxes if it can be shown they weren't owed. This is different, of course, but I'd be surprised if they didn't make this right. Good way to lose a customer.

JD10367 09-27-2018 02:38 AM

The Claims department is probably staffed by assholes from Maine.

Nickhead 09-27-2018 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 13766110)
Well maybe not repeal, but the government certainly repays taxes if it can be shown they weren't owed. This is different, of course, but I'd be surprised if they didn't make this right. Good way to lose a customer.

he knows im only kidding :thumb:

:D

Hog's Gone Fishin 09-27-2018 05:30 AM

It's to the insurance companies advantage to not update roof replacement. They don't want to pay for a new roof and then lower your rate.

having 17 rent houses I need to make sure my policy is updated as I had about 10 roofs replaced 2 years ago.

This was a good thread to bring to peoples attention. Thanks Rainman.

BTW I really wanted to vote for PMII but I didn't. Has he replaced Gaz as the new poll default?

rabblerouser 09-27-2018 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 13766115)
The Claims department is probably staffed by assholes from Maine.

Massachusetts.

Massholes.

Discuss Thrower 09-27-2018 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 13766146)
Massachusetts.

Massholes.

https://youtu.be/Ao3lqNqXZrg

emaw82 09-27-2018 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 13766108)
Another sad tale that exemplifies the anguish experienced by those who dismiss the advantages of thatch.

FAX

10/10. Would read (and laugh) again.

Rain Man 12-10-2018 11:07 PM

As an update on this, I've been fighting with USAA Insurance about this. Here's what they said:

1. They admitted that they've overcharged me $400 or so a year for the past two years, but they're not going to refund the overcharge, with the implied conclusion here that they're crooks.

2. They admitted that their systems don't talk to each other, so even though their claims department covered the new roof, the information was never passed to their policy department to update the policy. So it's their fault that I was being overcharged because they're incompetent.

3. They admitted that they're still overcharging me, but their system does not allow them to update the home's features and update the rate once it's been established for the year. They recommended that I continue to be overcharged this year, and next year they'll set it to the proper level. I am not making this up.

What's just as bad is that they were incredibly snarky about it. I got treated so badly that my wife took over to try to salvage it, and she contacted them separately and was treated just as rudely. I then gave them one last chance because they were being morons and I thought surely one person there had the ability to problem solve, but no - strike three. Just incredibly rude and uncaring people these days. We've noticed that they've been cutting their customer service for several years, and apparently their customer service center is now being run using labor from the Starkville Institute for the Socially Inept.

If you ever consider buying some insurance, do me a favor. Contact USAA and get a quote that takes a long time and a lot of work to prepare, and then tell them that you're not buying it because of this thread.

I hope they all get trapped in a fire that's not covered by insurance.

arrwheader 12-10-2018 11:38 PM

I had USAA awhile back because I was in the Army and bought into the whole service thing. Yea until my buddy who works as an insurance broker talked me into shopping. Oh my was I getting completely bent over by them. Not only was my insurance outrageous I was also being insured with the lowest possible coverage that barely would have covered shit.

**** USAA.

Hog's Gone Fishin 12-10-2018 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13951236)
As an update on this, I've been fighting with USAA Insurance about this. Here's what they said:

1. They admitted that they've overcharged me $400 or so a year for the past two years, but they're not going to refund the overcharge, with the implied conclusion here that they're crooks.

2. They admitted that their systems don't talk to each other, so even though their claims department covered the new roof, the information was never passed to their policy department to update the policy. So it's their fault that I was being overcharged because they're incompetent.

3. They admitted that they're still overcharging me, but their system does not allow them to update the home's features and update the rate once it's been established for the year. They recommended that I continue to be overcharged this year, and next year they'll set it to the proper level. I am not making this up.

What's just as bad is that they were incredibly snarky about it. I got treated so badly that my wife took over to try to salvage it, and she contacted them separately and was treated just as rudely. I then gave them one last chance because they were being morons and I thought surely one person there had the ability to problem solve, but no - strike three. Just incredibly rude and uncaring people these days. We've noticed that they've been cutting their customer service for several years, and apparently their customer service center is now being run using labor from the Starkville Institute for the Socially Inept.

If you ever consider buying some insurance, do me a favor. Contact USAA and get a quote that takes a long time and a lot of work to prepare, and then tell them that you're not buying it because of this thread.

I hope they all get trapped in a fire that's not covered by insurance.

I need to renew my rentals next month, I will give them a call.It should be fun because I had like $178,000 in claims in 2017.

Buehler445 12-10-2018 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 13951296)
I need to renew my rentals next month, I will give them a call.It should be fun because I had like $178,000 in claims in 2017.

Holy hell. What happened? I don’t even....

Hog's Gone Fishin 12-11-2018 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13951299)
Holy hell. What happened? I don’t even....

Hail storm. Lost a bunch of roofs.