ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Tony G...4th best “receiver” of all time? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316663)

BossChief 08-07-2018 08:30 AM

Tony G...4th best “receiver” of all time?

Rice
Moss
Owens

I know Tony was a TE, but he was mostly a receiver.

They are talking about it on Dan Patrick and he brought up Tony, his position and the QBs he had to play with.

Tony above Harrison, Hudson, Fitzgerald and CJ?

Red Dawg 08-07-2018 08:33 AM

He makes a case for it. TE he's one for sure. His stats are so much higher than all others it's crazy. His stats to other TE's is what Rice's are to other WR's.

Halfcan 08-07-2018 08:43 AM

Tony G is the best TE of all time and it is not even close. He could have played two or three more years, but decided not to risk his health. Tony could have been number 2 all time but chose not to take all those hits. He also played in some of the worst offenses and shitty QB's in Chiefs history. He was so dominating- refs refused to call holding against defenses against him.

Simply Red 08-07-2018 08:45 AM

pfft. it was Bobby Sippio

Amnorix 08-07-2018 08:46 AM

I agree Tony G is the best TE of all time. If you had to give me one TE for one game, and both are healthy, I'll take Gronk. But the longevity and health and consistency are huge factors in Tony G's favor.

O.city 08-07-2018 08:52 AM

Gronk will always have the Brady argument against him I think. If you look at what Tony did, with who was throwing him the ball etc.

KChiefs1 08-07-2018 08:58 AM

Tony G...4th best “receiver” of all time?

If he hadn’t played for the shitty Chiefs he would have been #1.

Cowherd was talking yesterday about how great Tony would have been.

https://youtu.be/Fg8CYtKBqUE

Bewbies 08-07-2018 08:58 AM

If Tony G played in a league with defense outlawed and Tom Brady throwing him the ball his numbers would have been absurd.

lawrenceRaider 08-07-2018 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 13662983)
If Tony G played in a league with defense outlawed and Tom Brady throwing him the ball his numbers would have been absurd.

Possibly Rice level stats, though can you imagine what Rice's numbers would look like today?

Mile High Mania 08-07-2018 09:08 AM

Gonzo was definitely a great player, one of the best all-time. Played a long time (17 seasons right? that's pretty stellar) and contrary to many of his peers, he had an insanely higher number of targets... mostly due to the talent around him. As many of said, KC used him as the #1 threat for the most part where as others played alongside 1-2 other top WRs, eating up targets. Hell, he has the 2nd most receptions all-time. Witten is 4th, with Gates being the next TE at 20th.

That's not said to take away from his greatness, as with any "best of all time" list, you have so many factors to consider.

Mile High Mania 08-07-2018 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 13662986)
Possibly Rice level stats, though can you imagine what Rice's numbers would look like today?

I'm not sure how much better they could be quite honestly, that style is why they play the way they do now. We could track someone like OBJ's last few years to those of JR and see.

lawrenceRaider 08-07-2018 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 13662997)
I'm not sure how much better they could be quite honestly, that style is why they play the way they do now. We could track someone like OBJ's last few years to those of JR and see.

Rice >>> OBJ

Mile High Mania 08-07-2018 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 13663008)
Rice >>> OBJ

Without question... I just don't believe Rice would have that greater of a stat sheet playing now than when he did. That bar was set so high, maybe nobody surpasses him.

Buehler445 08-07-2018 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 13662995)
Gonzo was definitely a great player, one of the best all-time. Played a long time (17 seasons right? that's pretty stellar) and contrary to many of his peers, he had an insanely higher number of targets... mostly due to the talent around him. As many of said, KC used him as the #1 threat for the most part where as others played alongside 1-2 other top WRs, eating up targets. Hell, he has the 2nd most receptions all-time. Witten is 4th, with Gates being the next TE at 20th.

That's not said to take away from his greatness, as with any "best of all time" list, you have so many factors to consider.

It's a two edge sword. He got a lot of targets but SO MANY of those were garbage balls.

****, I'm pretty sure Hutard was throwing those passes with his eyes closed.

The thing that makes him even that much more great was he caught everything - and virtually none of it was easy.

In58men 08-07-2018 09:33 AM

AJ Green most underrated WR ever