ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Archives (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Typical Roy Williams team. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=16182)

milkman 03-23-2001 10:47 PM

Why anyone was concerned about losing Williams to NC before this season remains a mystery to me. I haven't had an oportunity to see this year's edition until tonight, but this team resembles every other team that Willams has put on the hardwood in seasons past.
His idea of a physical presence is a center that lacks anything resembling athleticism. The rest of the team lacks physicality, athleticism, or quickness.
As long as he recruits these types of teams, he'll always fall short of the Final Four.
He's the Marty of college hoops.

DaWolf 03-23-2001 11:12 PM

Well you have to give Illinois their props, they are a very tough team. KU had played well to get to this point, but realistically they should lose to these guys. Illinois is deeper and they are the No 1 seed for a reason. As I type this though, if KU could just hit some free throws, they'd be leading. Such is life...

1punkyQB 03-23-2001 11:49 PM

I'm a Jayhawk fan, but it's hard not to be frustrated with Roy right now. He's taken less talented (on paper, anyway) groups to the Final Four, but when he has NBA-caliber players, it's disappointment after disappointment. Hopefully Miles and Simien will add two things obviously missing-a true point guard and muscle. Don't these guys have access to a weight room? The Illini players looked like they just got out of Joliet after a couple years of pumping iron. By comparison, WNBA centers could've shown more than Chenowith did.

ChiefsFanatic 03-24-2001 12:13 AM

I think that Collison is kicking himself right now. If he had just made some free throws. I honestly think that KU could have won this game, but they did not execute very well. Boschee looked afraid to shoot when he had the chance. Hinrich started the game out of control, and Gregory took some three point shots that made you say "WTF?"

But, it was most definately the free throw shooting. Plain and simple.

As far as Illinois being a good team, they really suprised me. I think it was one of the best defensive performances I have seen. And, Punky, those players that Illinois has did not get that big in the weight room. They came that big. Those guys were not ripped, they were wide.

And, I might be a homer, but the officials made some of the worst calls I have seen in a while. That one play when Hinrich stole the ball and was on the break away and Williams slapped his arm, and no foul was called, RIDICULOUS.

But, I hope Illinois beats Arizona.

1punkyQB 03-24-2001 12:28 AM

Point being that KU's players weren't nearly as strong and physical as IU's and could benefit from weight training(Chenowith in particular. Gotten bigger since he was a frosh, but still scrawny). Heck, Dennis Rodman practically molded himself into a rebounding bully.

Archie F. Swin 03-24-2001 09:09 PM

This was the first time I saw Illinois play . . . man, their tough!

It seems they had 7 men on the court at any given time and they were all over the ball.

As for KU, not a good time to lack depth . . . Chenowith is absolutely worthless.

I never could figure out why 7'tall men (Chenowith & Ostertag) would stand 3 feet from the basket and still attempt a layup . . . WTF?! . . take that shi+ to the HOLE!

Illinois was smart in fouling Gregory . . . hell, I could maintain his FT%!

Boschee barely showed up

Officials ?. . . well lets just say Bob knight has killed men for less.

See ya next season Roy!

At least with the Royals every win is a suprise.

Pitt Gorilla 03-25-2001 01:40 AM

Williams has always been a great recruiter and a terrible coach. I'm not a big KU fan, but I do rememer the UTEP game where the big O had six straight points and then sat the rest of the game. I just don't get him.
BTW, KU lost to 1 seed Illinois and MU lost to 1 seed Duke. I think the one seed that wins, if one of them does, the school that lost to THEM should get bragging rights, or something:)

RJ 03-25-2001 02:57 AM

No great shame in losing to Illinois. They're a quick team with good shooters and they play great D. Their #1 seeding was most definitely deserved. Frank Williams is one of the best players I've watched this year. I'd like to see him go up against Duke's Jason Williams, but I hope it doesn't happen during this tournament.

Luzap 03-25-2001 04:19 AM

Frank Williams was definitly in a class of his own. Combine that with the depth they had (we were sucking air), and we didn't stand a chance.

I'm not a bb expert, but I believe missing FTs and other easy shots is a result of exhaustion.

The KU team, however, is very young. With a little bit of depth, and another year of experience under their belts they could contend for a championship.

As to Roy's coaching in this game, what could he have done? The players were not executing their offense. Every time they did, they rallied.

Luz
al maguire thinks great things are ahead for this team...

milkman 03-25-2001 07:39 AM

Pitt,
Who exactly has Williams recruited that qualifies him as a great recuiter?
With the exception of Paul Pierce, his players have lacked athleticism, quicks, or a physical presence. Essentially, the players he's drafted have been nothing more than a bunch of stiffs. Watch over the next couple seasons as Quinn Snyder and Mizzou overtake the Jayhawks as the premier team in the conference.

oleman47 03-25-2001 08:15 AM

milkman

How can you say this is a "typical Williams team", while admitting you only have seen them play once?

Secondly, NBA has Pollard, Vaungh, LaFrentz, Ostertag, plus Pierce.

Thirdly, Williams is an outspoken opponent of goon basketball. The game should not be a contest of weight rooms. Even the NBA is trying to upgrade from this type of BB.

Fourth. KU has had troubles with turnovers all season and this catches up with you as the competition gets better, ie better defenses.

Fifth. Those KU players you distain this season will be back next year, so will get once again an annual peak at them before they go to the NBA.

Chiefs Pantalones 03-25-2001 08:18 AM

I'm curious? Is Roy Williams Marty Schottenheimer's brother?

CG

:D

Chiefs Pantalones 03-25-2001 08:23 AM

Are they related in anyway? I remember awhile back, a reporter was interviewing Roy, and I don't know how Marty was brought up, but the reporter asked him if he like Marty S.? He said, "Yes, Marty and I are really good friends, we talk quite a bit."

CG

thinks Roys taking lessons from the "losing when it counts the most" guru... :D

just kidding with everyone!

milkman 03-25-2001 08:25 AM

If you were building an NBA team, would any of the guys you mentioned, other than Pierce, be on your wish list? They certainly wouldn't be on mine. Most of those guys are replacable parts.
You're right though. I might be a little off the mark with that "typical" comment. Vaughn was a better guard than either Hinrick(sp) or Bosche.
There are a lot of athletic players that are solid sudents and ctizens.

Chiefs Pantalones 03-25-2001 08:34 AM

Vaughns waiting for John Stockton to retire so he can get some freakin playing time. His playing time has increased, though, since 97.

CG

Say No to Jazz, and say YES to Lakers!!!!

GO LAKERS AND CHIEFS!!!!!!

sorry Proctor! I know how you love your Jazz