ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Legal advise needed (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=196886)

xfactor 11-17-2008 11:11 AM

Legal advise needed

Hey Guys/Girls-
I had something come up yesterday and I was wondering how I should approach it. RedXtreme and I had a picture taken in Hawaii at the Pro Bowl in which the photogragher it profitting pretty well from. He has sold it to Maxim Magazine and now to Hellsberg Diamond/KC Star. My question is I know that a public domain photo can be sold by the photographer but that photographer sold it to Hellsberg Diamond who turned that into advertisement. The problem is I haven't given anyone permission to use photo for anything and especially not to a company making money off an image of us. I looked up laws on this and from what I'm understanding you can use a photo in editoral but not advertising without permission. Any thoughts?

Dartgod 11-17-2008 11:17 AM

My advice?

Consult a lawyer, not the morons that inhabit this place.

Goapics1 11-17-2008 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 5226897)
My advice?

Best advice ever.

seclark 11-17-2008 11:18 AM

he went to jareds.
sec

StcChief 11-17-2008 11:26 AM

See a Lawyer

xfactor 11-17-2008 11:31 AM

I agree, I just wanted a few other advise, I didn't think anything about it until people said that ain't right. Basically you are endorsing them without permission. My buddy said do you think they would put an ad with Tony G on it without him getting paid or at the very least compensated somehow? I know there are lawyers on these boards so I was just wondering if I should leave it alone or contact my lawyer? I love to hear others views if that is alright for a company to do that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 5226897)
My advice?

StcChief 11-17-2008 11:33 AM

well then Paging . Amnorix , Hoover

58-4ever 11-17-2008 11:36 AM

My advice... don't get legal advise from ChiefsPlanet members. Also, I remember you from myspace Chiefs groups. More advice from my experiences talking to you: I hope you've matured a lot or this place will eat you alive.

Jilly 11-17-2008 11:38 AM

Don't you put yourself in this position when you decide to wear costumes and pose for pictures as a "celebrity"? I mean, my advice would be to not dress up and allow people to take pictures of you if you're that concerned.

BigRedChief 11-17-2008 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58-4ever (Post 5226943)
My advice... don't get legal advise from ChiefsPlanet members. Also, I remember you from myspace Chiefs groups. More advice from my experiences talking to you: I hope you've matured a lot or this place will eat you alive.

x-factor is a cool dude.

Ty, PM Banyon for his opinion.

RJ 11-17-2008 11:40 AM

I never make a decision regarding legal matters without first consulting ChiefsPlanet.

You might want to PM Zach, he knows everything there is to know about serving legal papers.

Nzoner 11-17-2008 11:50 AM

Show me the money!!

Dave Lane 11-17-2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xfactor (Post 5226933)
I agree, I just wanted a few other advise, I didn't think anything about it until people said that ain't right. Basically you are endorsing them without permission. My buddy said do you think they would put an ad with Tony G on it without him getting paid or at the very least compensated somehow? I know there are lawyers on these boards so I was just wondering if I should leave it alone or contact my lawyer? I love to hear others views if that is alright for a company to do that?

THey are not allowed to use your image without signing a consent form. If its "generic" ie a crowd shot you are not due compensation but a for profit shot of just you two yes you are entitled to compensation. Need to see the pic though, to see what you are talking about for sure. Did you sign any release?

xfactor 11-17-2008 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58-4ever (Post 5226943)

Don't worry brother no one is going to eat me, I've had similar things hear where people feel I spam cause I'm trying to get info out about charity events or Chiefs parties.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jilly (Post 5226948)
Don't you put yourself in this position when you decide to wear costumes and pose for pictures as a "celebrity"? I mean, my advice would be to not dress up and allow people to take pictures of you if you're that concerned.

I never have a problem of people taking pictures with me, I love seeing the smiles especially all the kids. The thing that concerns me is that companies are making money off of an image of me without first asking. Chances are if they would have asked I would have said sure do it. Put yourself in my shoes what would be your attitude if it happened to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 5226949)
x-factor is a cool dude.

Ty, PM Banyon for his opinion.

Thank you brother, i will do that!!

Nzoner 11-17-2008 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xfactor (Post 5226885)
The problem is I haven't given anyone permission to use photo for anything and especially not to a company making money off an image of us.

Yeah,seeing your pic in your outfit makes me want to run right out and buy the mrs a diamond for our anniversary :D