ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Fox: The Passage (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320499)

keg in kc 01-16-2019 11:58 AM

Fox: The Passage

Sure everyone saw the millions of commercials during the playoffs. Premiered Monday, based on a series of books by Justin Cronin. Basically the books were post-apocalyptic in setting, before and after the outbreak of a vampiric virus. Won't say much else, because it's fairly complicated, and I'm not sure how the series will or will not (or even can) follow the books.

Pilot episode was a good one.

Miles 01-16-2019 12:13 PM

I enjoyed the books and thought it would make a good series. Disappointed it’s on a regular network but will give it a chance.

Baby Lee 01-16-2019 12:15 PM

Didn't see the most glowing of reviews. Think I'll wait to throw it on the pile until I hear some good word of mouth.

Sure-Oz 01-16-2019 08:41 PM

It'll be a good show & get cancelled I'm sure. It's Fox

lawrenceRaider 01-17-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 14043940)
I enjoyed the books and thought it would make a good series. Disappointed it’s on a regular network but will give it a chance.

Books are pretty good reads. I'll see this show.

Hoopsdoc 01-19-2019 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 14046402)
Books are pretty good reads. I'll see this show.

The books are flat out amazing, I thought. I was heavily disappointed in the first episode but then I knew I would be. There’s no way they could accurately represent everything in the books in a one hour television show.

My wife seemed to love it.

KS Smitty 01-19-2019 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc (Post 14051760)
The books are flat out amazing, I thought. I was heavily disappointed in the first episode but then I knew I would be. There’s no way they could accurately represent everything in the books in a one hour television show.

My wife seemed to love it.

I was really unhappy with it. It seems the only things they're using is the basic premise and character names. That said if I hadn't read the books I may have been more impressed. I'll give it a few more episodes but I don't think it's for me.

hometeam 01-21-2019 10:16 PM

Watched it, really liked it, hope it delivers.

Dallas Chief 01-22-2019 05:57 PM

Read the books through at least twice each and I can’t even recognize the storyline. They are way off course so far with this. I’ll watch maybe one or two more in the hope that it gets back on track somehow. And what’s with the stupid promos featuring Tainted Love? The books were more “The Road” than this Twilightish nonsense over the first two episodes.

keg in kc 01-22-2019 06:23 PM

Episode two didn't do much for me.

sully1983 01-23-2019 10:33 AM

who's Zach Morris in this? I haven't seen him in anything since Saved by the Bell.

I'll try and give it a watch since the previews are sorta intriguing .

Baby Lee 01-23-2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sully1983 (Post 14066697)
who's Zach Morris in this? I haven't seen him in anything since Saved by the Bell.

I'll try and give it a watch since the previews are sorta intriguing .

You completely missed NYPD Blue?!?!

Frosty 02-11-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas Chief (Post 14065234)
Read the books through at least twice each and I can’t even recognize the storyline. They are way off course so far with this. I’ll watch maybe one or two more in the hope that it gets back on track somehow. And what’s with the stupid promos featuring Tainted Love? The books were more “The Road” than this Twilightish nonsense over the first two episodes.

How so? I just started rereading the first two books in preparation to reading the third and I was surprised at how close the series is to the book so far.

** Book spoilers coming **

The basic premise of Wolgast and Doyle recruiting convicts for the experiments and then being required to take Amy even though they don't feel good about it. The show drops Doyle who still has a bit part to play and doesn't have the nuns or zoo scene. Wolgast taking Amy to the fair and then surrendering to the small town sheriff is there.

The show splits off there and introduces the badass black woman (replacing the black nun, I guess) and brings the ex-wife into the story but Wolgast ends up in Colorado with Amy while they experiment on her like in the book anyway. The woman convict replaces Babcock, I guess, but that's minor. The time at the Chateau is being drawn out a little too much for my taste but if the show follows the book at all, tonight's show should be the one where shit goes down now that Carter has turned.

** Bigger spoilers here **

I'm really wondering how they will handle the next part of the book as there is basically a hundred year jump into the future. They could spend a lot more time with Wolgast and Amy hiding from the virals but that would basically turn into the Walking Dead. They will have to make the jump to the post (current?)-apocalyptic future at some point, requiring a whole new cast, unless they are going to really change the story there.

NewChief 02-11-2019 01:30 PM

I have a feeling that the TV series for this will do to the books what the Magicians series did. Just totally ruined for me.

If people start singing its praises, I'll consider watching.

Dallas Chief 02-12-2019 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 14101224)
How so? I just started rereading the first two books in preparation to reading the third and I was surprised at how close the series is to the book so far.

** Book spoilers coming **

The basic premise of Wolgast and Doyle recruiting convicts for the experiments and then being required to take Amy even though they don't feel good about it. The show drops Doyle who still has a bit part to play and doesn't have the nuns or zoo scene. Wolgast taking Amy to the fair and then surrendering to the small town sheriff is there.

The show splits off there and introduces the badass black woman (replacing the black nun, I guess) and brings the ex-wife into the story but Wolgast ends up in Colorado with Amy while they experiment on her like in the book anyway. The woman convict replaces Babcock, I guess, but that's minor. The time at the Chateau is being drawn out a little too much for my taste but if the show follows the book at all, tonight's show should be the one where shit goes down now that Carter has turned.

** Bigger spoilers here **

I'm really wondering how they will handle the next part of the book as there is basically a hundred year jump into the future. They could spend a lot more time with Wolgast and Amy hiding from the virals but that would basically turn into the Walking Dead. They will have to make the jump to the post (current?)-apocalyptic future at some point, requiring a whole new cast, unless they are going to really change the story there.

I don’t want to spoil it for the non readers so I’ll just point out a few key elements/plot lines

Amy’s age, ethnicity, and personality
Lacey/Wolgast relationship
Richards/Wolgast relationship
Avian flu/Project Noah
Lila Wolgast even being a major character
Horace Guilders presence at the Chateau
The appearance of the virals( The Twelve)
Babcock is a hot chick (wtf)
The multiple escapes or attempted escapes made by Amy
Sykes/Richards having a thing

I could go on. IMHO, they made a bunch of unnecessary plot changes that at the end of the day, make this a drastically different story. And it all starts with Amy.