ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Have you/do you plan on moving to some other state when you retire? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=322937)

BigRichard 05-14-2019 12:15 PM

Have you/do you plan on moving to some other state when you retire?

Just wondering who on here has or is planning on moving when they retire? What is the destination? Anyone planning on making a jump to another country? Belize? Italy? Mexico?

The wife and I would definitely consider moving out of country but it would definitely be a tropical location.

Rain Man 05-14-2019 12:24 PM

I'm still several years away, but I've strongly considered it and idly look at places. Our house prices are strong enough in Denver that I could sell and buy a nice place for half the price in many other parts of the country, freeing up retirement cash.

However, I haven't found a place that can compete with Denver yet. I need low humidity, few bugs, attractive architecture, good access to parks and trails, good access to restaurants, no weird social culture (too far right or left), and generally a western landscape. The closest I've found is Santa Fe, but I don't necessarily think it's an improvement, just something different.

Some of the foreign places are intriguing, but I'm not sure I've got the guts to do that given things like health care that I'll need when I'm older. I'm not a tropical guy so central America doesn't draw me in. Some place like Portugal could be interesting, but I don't really need to learn another language.

I'm not sure the finances really work to move, either. My house has an apartment that generates revenue, so I'd have to free up a ton of cash to offset that. Probably the only thing that would make me move is an inability to use stairs, and hopefully that's a long ways off.

BigRichard 05-14-2019 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14267817)
I'm still several years away, but I've strongly considered it and idly look at places. Our house prices are strong enough in Denver that I could sell and buy a nice place for half the price in many other parts of the country, freeing up retirement cash.

However, I haven't found a place that can compete with Denver yet. I need low humidity, few bugs, attractive architecture, good access to parks and trails, good access to restaurants, no weird social culture (too far right or left), and generally a western landscape. The closest I've found is Santa Fe, but I don't necessarily think it's an improvement, just something different.

Some of the foreign places are intriguing, but I'm not sure I've got the guts to do that given things like health care that I'll need when I'm older. I'm not a tropical guy so central America doesn't draw me in. Some place like Portugal could be interesting, but I don't really need to learn another language.

I'm not sure the finances really work to move, either. My house has an apartment that generates revenue, so I'd have to free up a ton of cash to offset that. Probably the only thing that would make me move is an inability to use stairs, and hopefully that's a long ways off.

Thanks Rainman! I have an interesting job opportunity possibly coming my way which would allow me to work from home with very occasional travel. The wife and I had been looking to move to Florida or North Carolina as they seemed to have some of the better options for what I work with but if I can be any where who knows what I might consider. We may just head for our retirement destination about 20 years earlier than planned.

I believe the only requirement for this job is to be in the US time zones as the work is all with places in the US.

Why Not? 05-14-2019 01:04 PM

Still a couple of decades away and some of it will depend on if we have grandkids, etc. but I don’t see a scenario where we don’t live out the golden years back home(Hawaii).

OKchiefs 05-14-2019 01:07 PM

I'd consider Southeast Asia. You can live like a king with relatively little money.

Rain Man 05-14-2019 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 14267928)
I'd consider Southeast Asia. You can live like a king with relatively little money.

When my wife and I were in Cambodia last year, we had that thought. It was very nice, and the area we were in seemed to have enough western tourists that we didn't get constantly hassled by street vendors. Cambodia could be a bit hot in the summer, though, so it would have to be a place that had consistent power and air conditioning.

The street vendors are a make or break thing for me, by the way. I hate getting constantly sold to when I'm walking down the street. I had some idiot run up and grab me from behind in Hong Kong, trying to sell me a fake watch, and I don't respond well to being grabbed from behind.

Steron 05-14-2019 01:14 PM

The wife and I have considered Colorado. We have elderly parents (in their 70's) with varying health so it isn't an option right now. We live in southern Virginia and I am to the point in my life that I hate Summer here. Too hot. Too humid.

Rain Man 05-14-2019 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 14267921)
Still a couple of decades away and some of it will depend on if we have grandkids, etc. but I don’t see a scenario where we don’t live out the golden years back home(Hawaii).

I was in Tucson last week, and I really like that city. It's very scenic, and despite being a desert it's got lots of nice landscaping. It might be too hot, and I wonder how often I'd be chasing tarantulas and scorpions out of my shoes, but I'd consider it.

An uber driver there also told me that "Arizona wine country" was nice in places like Sonoita. Have you ever been there? I looked it up and it seems a bit small for my tastes, but it sounded nice.

displacedinMN 05-14-2019 01:19 PM

If I am lucky, Okoboji, Iowa Apr-Dec,
Arizona (Next door to Lewdog) Jan-Mar

Why Not? 05-14-2019 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14267950)
I was in Tucson last week, and I really like that city. It's very scenic, and despite being a desert it's got lots of nice landscaping. It might be too hot, and I wonder how often I'd be chasing tarantulas and scorpions out of my shoes, but I'd consider it.

An uber driver there also told me that "Arizona wine country" was nice in places like Sonoita. Have you ever been there? I looked it up and it seems a bit small for my tastes, but it sounded nice.

No I haven’t. I kinda find most areas of AZ outside of the Phoenix metro to be a little to weird, desert dwellerish for me. Tucson is beautiful on the outskirts but a true hole on the inside

Mephistopheles Janx 05-14-2019 01:25 PM

I currently live in the Denver burbs but am moving to the sticks just outside of KC as of July 1. I am retiring at 38, in the sense that I am retiring from working for corporations or small businesses furthering the interests of people that don't give a shit about me.

The wife is a school teacher and will pay the house note. I'm going to do the homestead thing and feed us along with starting up a part time business based on the fruit trees I have on the property I'm buying.

The humidity and heat is going to suck but I would have needed to sell body parts on the black market to afford a run down mobile home on a city plot with two blight infested trees around the Denver area.

Old Dog 05-14-2019 01:30 PM

Have certainly considered doing so, but the grand kids (3 of them ranging form 7-11) currently live within 100 miles of our current location. We currently get to see them every few weeks at least and keep them for the weekend. I don't think that's something I'm willing to give up.......after they are all grown, Costa Rica, Belize, or Mexico are certainly possibilities though.

ChiliConCarnage 05-14-2019 01:31 PM

I think I'd retire somewhere else in a state with no income tax. I'm not particularly close to retirement so I haven't put much thought into it. No winter would be nice too but not real hot.

I'm not sure if that combination is available

eDave 05-14-2019 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14267950)

I'm dating a woman from Sierra Vista and her family runs a ranch in Sonoita. Been there a few times. Not a place I could live, but it's beautiful up there. Especially when it snows.

Rain Man 05-14-2019 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx (Post 14267962)
I currently live in the Denver burbs but am moving to the sticks just outside of KC as of July 1. I am retiring at 38, in the sense that I am retiring from working for corporations or small businesses furthering the interests of people that don't give a shit about me.

The wife is a school teacher and will pay the house note. I'm going to do the homestead thing and feed us along with starting up a part time business based on the fruit trees I have on the property I'm buying.

The humidity and heat is going to suck but I would have needed to sell body parts on the black market to afford a run down mobile home on a city plot with two blight infested trees around the Denver area.

You're going feral? How many acres do you need to do that?

Clyde Frog 05-14-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 14267921)

Same. Once I save enough to retire comfortably I'm going back home to rot and watch 7am football until I die.

Mephistopheles Janx 05-14-2019 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14267974)
You're going feral? How many acres do you need to do that?

I will be on 9.87 acres but not quite feral as you defined in your thread. The guy living there already has 4 plots set up for food, a 24x24 greenhouse, trees, grapevines, and more.

I'll be definitely be working the land in the method first laid out by Mesopotamians and refined in Kansas.

Rain Man 05-14-2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx (Post 14267985)
I will be on 9.87 acres but not quite feral as you defined in your thread. The guy living there already has 4 plots set up for food, a 24x24 greenhouse, trees, grapevines, and more.

I'll be definitely be working the land in the method first laid out by Mesopotamians and refined in Kansas.

Honestly, that's probably the best way to go about it. Wandering around and sleeping under trees might get old.

Randallflagg 05-14-2019 01:52 PM

We're both retired. Still live in Kansas but we have 60 acres in Wyoming and are building a second home there.

We both came from somewhere else 35 years ago and settled in the KC area. This is, and will always be, home for us.

Randallflagg 05-14-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14267998)
Honestly, that's probably the best way to go about it. Wandering around and sleeping under trees might get old.

ROFL

Did that for far too long in the Army........

BIG_DADDY 05-14-2019 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage (Post 14267971)
I think I'd retire somewhere else in a state with no income tax. I'm not particularly close to retirement so I haven't put much thought into it. No winter would be nice too but not real hot.

I'm not sure if that combination is available

Florida, leave for the Summer.

JakeF 05-14-2019 01:55 PM

If you enjoy living simply then there are a lot of other options. Even moving down to Texas and living in an RV park has its perks. It is very cheap and much safer in terms of crime. If you can find an RV park with people you like then it's great. You can also move out to the edge of nature and live in a cabin type home. Much less stress and much cheaper. You can still drive into a nearby town and buy stuff but its borderline Unabomber situation. Do what you want and not be bothered.

Mephistopheles Janx 05-14-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 14268013)

The reverse snowbird!

Rain Man 05-14-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steron (Post 14267943)
The wife and I have considered Colorado. We have elderly parents (in their 70's) with varying health so it isn't an option right now. We live in southern Virginia and I am to the point in my life that I hate Summer here. Too hot. Too humid.

I've looked all over Colorado as a hobby. Most of the nice places wouldn't allow me to free up cash from my house because their housing markets are expensive. But there are some exceptions.

Pueblo doesn't have a good reputation here. It's a low-growth remnant of the old economy. But it's got really good housing prices and it's big enough to have some good variety of restaurants and stuff. This place is really cool if you like older houses and urban living: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-07656?view=qv. This is more of a suburban setting, but the house is kind of cool: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-17293?view=qv

We also like Palisade in western Colorado as an affordable place. The architecture is pretty pedestrian, but the views are really nice. They have big mesas, and grow peaches and lavender there. I don't see any wow houses for sale in the town itself right now, but here's a place nearby: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-85027?view=qv

Coochie liquor 05-14-2019 01:57 PM

I live in the best state in the country. I’ll die before I move.

Rain Man 05-14-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coochie liquor (Post 14268024)
I live in the best state in the country. I’ll die before I move.

How did I miss that you're a fellow Colorado resident?

MagicHef 05-14-2019 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14267817)

I'm not sure if Western WA checks your boxes or not. It's very wet in winter, but surprisingly dry during summer. I also don't know if it qualifies as a western landscape, as it has plenty of mountains but it also has trees and water. Every other item on your list it fits quite well.

Easy 6 05-14-2019 02:12 PM

Oh yes, I’ve thought long and hard about it and researched it... when mom passes I’ll be packing up and heading for Pensacola, Fla

BIG_DADDY 05-14-2019 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14268016)
I've looked all over Colorado as a hobby. Most of the nice places wouldn't allow me to free up cash from my house because their housing markets are expensive. But there are some exceptions.

Pueblo doesn't have a good reputation here. It's a low-growth remnant of the old economy. But it's got really good housing prices and it's big enough to have some good variety of restaurants and stuff. This place is really cool if you like older houses and urban living: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-07656?view=qv. This is more of a suburban setting, but the house is kind of cool: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-17293?view=qv

We also like Palisade in western Colorado as an affordable place. The architecture is pretty pedestrian, but the views are really nice. They have big mesas, and grow peaches and lavender there. I don't see any wow houses for sale in the town itself right now, but here's a place nearby: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-85027?view=qv

Nice houses for sure.

BIG_DADDY 05-14-2019 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14268043)
Oh yes, I’ve thought long and hard about it and researched it... when mom passes I’ll be packing up and heading for Pensacola, Fla

How do you like it there? What are the cops like?

Hammock Parties 05-14-2019 02:16 PM

I think I'm going to move to Springfield, retire in my grandparents' house and die in it.

BIG_DADDY 05-14-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

The housing prices there are the bomb

Rain Man 05-14-2019 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 14268040)
I'm not sure if Western WA checks your boxes or not. It's very wet in winter, but surprisingly dry during summer. I also don't know if it qualifies as a western landscape, as it has plenty of mountains but it also has trees and water. Every other item on your list it fits quite well.

I've only been to Seattle and the Olympic peninsula. Seattle has been a traffic nightmare both times, so I'd prefer Denver. But the Olympic peninsula would be nice. I thought Port Angeles was very nice in the one hour I visited. I'm not sure if it's too small for the long term, though. I like big-city amenities.

JakeF 05-14-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 14267928)

Pick a place where kidnapping Americans isn't the leading industry for the area.

tooge 05-14-2019 02:26 PM

I've lived many places in the US. I've lived in KC area, Texas, Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northern Cal and Southern Cal. I've spent lots of time in Florida also. The best place I ever lived was Okinawa, Japan. Great weather, great food, beautiful land, oceans, beaches, fresh fish and vegetables, nice people, and almost non existent crime. I'd go back and retire there in a heartbeat. From there its fairly easy to travel to SE Asia, Austrailia, etc.

ptlyon 05-14-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14268064)
I've only been to Seattle and the Olympic peninsula. Seattle has been a traffic nightmare both times, so I'd prefer Denver. But the Olympic peninsula would be nice. I thought Port Angeles was very nice in the one hour I visited. I'm not sure if it's too small for the long term, though. I like big-city amenities.

Then may I suggest Jupiter, FL?

Easy 6 05-14-2019 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 14268047)
How do you like it there? What are the cops like?

To be honest I’ve never set foot there

But I love being near the ocean, just that whole beach culture thing

It’s the perfect size for me at 50k, but probably feels much bigger with the military presence as well as being a hub for the surrounding area... big enough to have everything I need, but not so big that it takes me an hour to get to work 5 miles away

I narrowed in on the panhandle because of cost of living concerns, as well as seeming to have a less hectic, more country vibe than the overcrowded peninsula

Love to fish, love hot n sunny weather, love the ocean.. it just seems perfect for me

Mephistopheles Janx 05-14-2019 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14268048)
I think I'm going to move to Springfield, retire in my grandparents' house and die in it.

From parent's basement to grandparent's house. Your journey will be complete.

:D :D :D

/joking

Rain Man 05-14-2019 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 14268067)
I've lived many places in the US. I've lived in KC area, Texas, Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northern Cal and Southern Cal. I've spent lots of time in Florida also. The best place I ever lived was Okinawa, Japan. Great weather, great food, beautiful land, oceans, beaches, fresh fish and vegetables, nice people, and almost non existent crime. I'd go back and retire there in a heartbeat. From there its fairly easy to travel to SE Asia, Austrailia, etc.

What are housing prices like? I like the Japanese.

MIAdragon 05-14-2019 02:32 PM

Looking to buy something nice on the north shore of Oahu for that exact reason.

BucEyedPea 05-14-2019 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 14267796)
Just wondering who on here has or is planning on moving when they retire? What is the destination? Anyone planning on making a jump to another country? Belize? Italy? Mexico?

The wife and I would definitely consider moving out of country but it would definitely be a tropical location.

I don't believe in retirement. Retirement kills.

I don't plan on moving unless I need a survival bunker in case of a war. I've been looking into locations for that.

MagicHef 05-14-2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14268064)

Agreed on Seattle, it's a nightmare and I only go there when I need to. Port Angeles is tiny, if you wanted to live on the peninsula I'd recommend Port Townsend (lots of historic buildings) or Bainbridge Island. Bellevue and the surrounding towns are big-city-esque without the issues of Seattle, mainly because they still enforce the laws there. Parts of Tacoma are surprisingly nice, especially by the water (Dash Point, Ruston).

When I moved here I always thought it would be temporary and I'd end up moving back to Colorado. Now it's grown on me and I would probably have a hard time leaving.

cooper barrett 05-14-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 14268069)
Then may I suggest Jupiter, FL?

I bet rub and tugs are hard to get there right now.

suzzer99 05-14-2019 02:55 PM

I plan on semi-retiring and traveling the world a digital vagabond - living wherever I feel like as long as like, then moving on to the next place - hopefully in a year or two.

tooge 05-14-2019 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14268079)
What are housing prices like? I like the Japanese.

I'm not sure but I'll bet most are pretty inexpensive. There were some guys I was stationed with that lived there much longer and bought homes. They were nice homes and there is no way they could have afforded them on what we made if they weren't reasonable.

Easy 6 05-14-2019 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 14268116)
I plan on semi-retiring and traveling the world a digital vagabond - living wherever I feel like as long as like, then moving on to the next place - hopefully in a year or two.

You did really nice work on your Mexican trip, get you a monetized blog thing going and hit the road...

tooge 05-14-2019 03:03 PM

Here you go. Okinawa Japan. Nice view.
https://okinawa.bookoo.com/i/69844308

BIG_DADDY 05-14-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14268070)

It’s the perfect size for me at 50k, but probably feels much bigger with the military presence as well as being a hub for the surrounding area... big enough to have everything I need, but not so big that it takes me an hour to get to work 5 miles away

I narrowed in on the panhandle because of cost of living concerns, as well as seeming to have a less hectic, more country vibe than the overcrowded peninsula

Love to fish, love hot n sunny weather, love the ocean.. it just seems perfect for me

You could save all kinds of money on taxes in Puerto Rico.

BucEyedPea 05-14-2019 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 14268013)

Yep. If I could afford a second home it would be either in Maine or rockies, possibly even the rockies in Alberta.

BucEyedPea 05-14-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx (Post 14268015)
The reverse snowbird!

Snowbirds leave for summer and arrive in November or December for the winter.

I call the Q-Tips.

BucEyedPea 05-14-2019 03:20 PM

Quote:

You fit in well there with all the military there. It also has gorgeous beaches.

BIG_DADDY 05-14-2019 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 14268147)
Yep. If I could afford a second home it would be either in Maine or rockies, possibly even the rockies in Alberta.

Alaska and Florida. There's a combo

CaliforniaChief 05-14-2019 03:23 PM

Oh for sure yes. LOLOLOLOLOL

Make my money in California, spend it elsewhere.

I'd love to have a place on a lake in Minnesota for the summers, maybe the Carolinas/Georgia/Virginia the rest of the year.

warrior 05-14-2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14268070)

Hope you like lots of humidity and chances of tornadoes every two weeks. The beaches are pretty nice though-white sand. Destin is not far away and has some gorgeous blue water beaches.

BucEyedPea 05-14-2019 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 14268157)
Alaska and Florida. There's a combo

Yeah. That's a different but nice one.

BucEyedPea 05-14-2019 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior (Post 14268166)
Hope you like lots of humidity and chances of tornadoes every two weeks. The beaches are pretty nice though-white sand. Destin is not far away and has some gorgeous blue water beaches.

Since when are there tornadoes every two weeks there?

warrior 05-14-2019 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 14268169)
Since when are there tornadoes every two weeks there?

Since I've been here since last September. Fort Walton is the 10 most dangerous City because of the storms and its just 20 minute's from Pensicola

chinaski 05-14-2019 03:32 PM

Mid 40's here. I certainly won't be retiring in Southern California, that's for damn sure, too crowded here.

I want rural property, my wife is on board with that for the most part as well. Going to have to stick with warmer climates though, my wife is finished with Winters and cold weather. She grew up in the North East.

We have family in the Carolina's and Virginia, so most likely it will be somewhere back in that area. I'm thinking Western South Carolina. Greenville area perhaps. I need Mountains.

If not there, probably Texas or Tennessee. We have family there as well...

We may retire in our 50's, we are fairly financially secure right now.

Easy 6 05-14-2019 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 14268145)
You could save all kinds of money on taxes in Puerto Rico.

Oh I bet, and the women are surely easy on the eyes... but I kinda like it here in Murica :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 14268156)
You fit in well there with all the military there. It also has gorgeous beaches.

Read a lot about those beaches, oh yeah it’s the place for me... the fresh and saltwater fishing is amazing

But the best part is I could be at your place for some pork marsala in short order!

Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior (Post 14268166)

Yeah humidity is just part of the deal down there, but as long as there’s a body of water to jump in while I’m out and AC at the house... I’d be golden

Mephistopheles Janx 05-14-2019 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14268195)
Oh I bet, and the women are surely easy on the eyes... but I kinda like it here in Murica :D

PR has been 'Murica since 1898! You don't need a passport, the same money, and the vast majority of the population speaks English at least conversationally.

MahiMike 05-14-2019 03:51 PM

Hate to make this a DC thread but I was JUST googling where to disappear to as a conservative hermit. Tired of being scared by the Libtard zombies.

Seriously considering getting an Airstream and roaming the country looking for a nice conservative town to retire to.

wisconsinchief 05-14-2019 03:59 PM

I live in Wisconsin, but grew up in KCMO. When I retire, we're moving to Nixa Missouri.

EPodolak 05-14-2019 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14267942)
When my wife and I were in Cambodia last year, we had that thought. It was very nice, and the area we were in seemed to have enough western tourists that we didn't get constantly hassled by street vendors. Cambodia could be a bit hot in the summer, though, so it would have to be a place that had consistent power and air conditioning.

The street vendors are a make or break thing for me, by the way. I hate getting constantly sold to when I'm walking down the street. I had some idiot run up and grab me from behind in Hong Kong, trying to sell me a fake watch, and I don't respond well to being grabbed from behind.

Yeah, but are they worse than Bronco fans?

Rain Man 05-14-2019 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 14268203)
Hate to make this a DC thread but I was JUST googling where to disappear to as a conservative hermit. Tired of being scared by the Libtard zombies.

Seriously considering getting an Airstream and roaming the country looking for a nice conservative town to retire to.

I'm not meaning to generalize, but isn't that pretty much any town in America with fewer than 50,000 people and no college?

Easy 6 05-14-2019 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx (Post 14268199)
PR has been 'Murica since 1898! You don't need a passport, the same money, and the vast majority of the population speaks English at least conversationally.

Heh, yes I’m aware of all that... but would prefer the stability of mainland US in my later years

Mephistopheles Janx 05-14-2019 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14268252)
Heh, yes I’m aware of all that... but would prefer the stability of mainland US in my later years

Gotcha... I'm betting that a lower murder per capita rate would be to your liking as well. :D

Easy 6 05-14-2019 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx (Post 14268269)
Gotcha... I'm betting that a lower murder per capita rate would be to your liking as well. :D

You have a bright future as a Puerto Rican travel guide, Mr Janx

I wish all of them well, served with some outstanding American soldiers from there... hard charging, award winning guys

LoneWolf 05-14-2019 04:55 PM

Winter and Summer in Maui (we already own a condo on Kaanapali beach) and spring and fall in Kansas.

cooper barrett 05-14-2019 04:57 PM

Something wrong with Sedona AZ The old Beverly Hills crowd is dieing off, need new old blood

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14268016)

Pueblo doesn't have a good reputation here. It's a low-growth remnant of the old economy. But it's got really good housing prices and it's big enough to have some good variety of restaurants and stuff. This place is really cool if you like older houses and urban living: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-07656?view=qv. Gotta love the bags of pellets in MBR Nice touch

This is more of a suburban setting, but the house is kind of cool: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-17293?view=qv

1st house needs a walk through, something says reproduction ceilings new not old trim or a podge. What's the deal with being for sale several times and price at 350K to 450K?? Back yard not completed since it looks like 2012. A Will Robinson home?

DeepPurple 05-14-2019 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 14268203)

I live in The Villages, Florida. It started in 1968 as a trailer park on Hwy 441 about 60 miles north west of Orlando. About 1990 the developer brought in his son from upper Michigan (Mark Farner & Ted Nugent area), and he began the actual housing development. It's now 40 square miles and population 130,000 over the age of 55. No one under 19 can live here or visit for more than 30 days a year. The population 99% white, African Americans about 1%. If any African Americans want to move here, I say come on. In our villa section of 80 villas, three are AA. They want the same things as white people, a safe place to live out your retirement years.

I moved here in 2011, I'll be 69 in July. For major sports, Tampa is a 90 minute drive south on I-75, College you have Gainesville a 60 minute drive north, that's the Florida Gators. I'm a Seminole Fan, that's in Tallahassee a little further north. Once you live here a while, you really don't want to go elsewhere too often. The news we get from Orlando, and they have as many murders as any city in the north. Orlando is not a great place to live.

I was familiar with Florida, I grew up in St. Petersburg from 4th grade (1959) to 1977, then moved to Pensacola (home of Naval Aviation) until 1982. Lived in Savannah the rest of the 80's and then moved to Maryland for 22 years. I retired in 2004 and after both my parents were deceased I retired here in 2011.

We have 12 championship golf courses, 10 of them are 27 hole layouts. We have 35 nine hole executive golf courses (par 3's). We are divided in about 75 Villages with about 1200 homes in each village. Each village has a pool and a rec center. Rec Centers have tennis courts and pickleball courts, that's really big here. They now have a championship on CBSSports. We also have larger Regional Rec Center with pools, I guess we've got about 90 pools all together.

We have 3 town squares, each one has a live band play everyday from 5pm to 9pm, usually classic rock, oldies, disco, etc. Each square has a theater with 8 screens. The Villages is about 75% Republican and our county (Sumter) had the highest total for Trump than any county in Florida, and of course Trump won Florida.

Here's a square, this one is Lake Sumter Landing. Did I tell you, you can drive a golf cart anywhere within The Villages, there are over 50,000 carts here. Some people don't even own a car anymore. The Florida Turnpike goes right by here, so you can be in Orlando in one hour. The Gulf Beaches are about two hours to Clearwater, which is the best.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_aWflL2jDpW...Sumter_lzn.jpg

A band and the dance floor at Lake Sumter Landing Square.

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/me...et-s-dance.jpg

All of the Fox News people or any conservative with a book will be at our Barnes & Nobles

https://www.villages-news.com/wp-con...64-600x400.jpg

The original square was Spanish Springs

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/me...rings-town.jpg

The newest square Brownwood, opened in 2013

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5e/bb...41ceefc455.jpg

Live Webcam at each square aimed at the bandstand and dance floor. If a picture doesn't come up, keep refreshing since each camera is limited to 500 viewers.

The Villages Webcams

The Developer's Website for home information and resales

https://www.thevillages.com/lifestyle/

Mosbonian 05-14-2019 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepPurple (Post 14268328)
I live in The Villages, Florida. It started in 1968 as a trailer park on Hwy 441 about 60 miles north west of Orlando. About 1990 the developer brought in his son from upper Michigan (Mark Farner & Ted Nugent area), and he began the actual housing development. It's now 40 square miles and population 130,000 over the age of 55. No one under 19 can live here or visit for more than 30 days a year. The population 99% white, African Americans about 1%. If any African Americans want to move here, I say come on. In our villa section of 80 villas, three are AA. They want the same things as white people, a safe place to live out your retirement years.

I moved here in 2011, I'll be 69 in July. For major sports, Tampa is a 90 minute drive south on I-75, College you have Gainesville a 60 minute drive north, that's the Florida Gators. I'm a Seminole Fan, that's in Tallahassee a little further north. Once you live here a while, you really don't want to go elsewhere too often. The news we get from Orlando, and they have as many murders as any city in the north. Orlando is not a great place to live.

I was familiar with Florida, I grew up in St. Petersburg from 4th grade (1959) to 1977, then moved to Pensacola (home of Naval Aviation) until 1982. Lived in Savannah the rest of the 80's and then moved to Maryland for 22 years. I retired in 2004 and after both my parents were deceased I retired here in 2011.

We have 12 championship golf courses, 10 of them are 27 hole layouts. We have 35 nine hole executive golf courses (par 3's). We are divided in about 75 Villages with about 1200 homes in each village. Each village has a pool and a rec center. Rec Centers have tennis courts and pickleball courts, that's really big here. They now have a championship on CBSSports. We also have larger Regional Rec Center with pools, I guess we've got about 90 pools all together.

We have 3 town squares, each one has a live band play everyday from 5pm to 9pm, usually classic rock, oldies, disco, etc. Each square has a theater with 8 screens. The Villages is about 75% Republican and our county (Sumter) had the highest total for Trump than any county in Florida, and of course Trump won Florida.

Here's a square, this one is Lake Sumter Landing. Did I tell you, you can drive a golf cart anywhere within The Villages, there are over 50,000 carts here. Some people don't even own a car anymore. The Florida Turnpike goes right by here, so you can be in Orlando in one hour. The Gulf Beaches are about two hours to Clearwater, which is the best.

All of the Fox News people or any conservative with a book will be at our Barnes & Nobles

Live Webcam at each square aimed at the bandstand and dance floor. If a picture doesn't come up, keep refreshing since each camera is limited to 500 viewers.

The Villages Webcams

Live in Jax.....thinking about moving to The Villages myself when I retire in a couple of years. Might want to chat with you about it sometime.

BigRedChief 05-14-2019 05:35 PM

Had been in KC for 16 years. My wife and I always talked about moving to the water or beach when our son got out of High School. Not retirement. Dont work as much as I use to but a call came about 2 weeks before graduation for a job in Florida. So it kinda worked out for us according to our long term plan.

MahiMike 05-14-2019 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 14268332)
Live in Jax.....thinking about moving to The Villages myself when I retire in a couple of years. Might want to chat with you about it sometime.

Funny thing. Jax is rated #5 city but I don't see it.

https://thestir.cafemom.com/politics...esa_arizona/20

Thanks Deep Purple for the Villages tip. My dad actually stayed there some w/folks from KC.

rabblerouser 05-14-2019 05:58 PM

I'll work until I die...

srvy 05-14-2019 06:06 PM

Wife wants to move back home to Philippines when we both retire. Baguio City the coolest climate of the Islands. Davao City is another option and is the safe city in the Philippines. The local governance doesn't **** around there. Its also popular with westerners because of that fact.

My wife is a lot younger than I so I will probably be dead by then or a drooling zombie and wont even know I am not home. I am really not that keen on it.

Randallflagg 05-14-2019 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepPurple (Post 14268328)

The Villages Webcams

I've got a good friend that lives in the area - plays in a band that frequently plays gigs at the Villages - "Rocky and the Rollers" -pays well. He also does the cruise ship thing, too.

GloucesterChief 05-14-2019 06:15 PM

Looking at three places but it is a long way off:

-Hampton Roads, VA
-Bremerton/Silverdale, WA
-Accra, Ghana

stevieray 05-14-2019 06:20 PM

I'll die on a ladder in KC.

As it should be.

Actually before the lil one the wife and I were going to travel the country, stay in RV parks.

Goal was to see the country & paint a sign/mural in every state.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 05-14-2019 06:20 PM

We're kicking around some destinations now that retirement is within sight.

Possibly Gulfport, Mississippi or Albuquerque, NM.

Mephistopheles Janx 05-14-2019 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 14268376)
I'll die on a ladder in KC.

As it should be.

Actually before the lil one the wife and I were going to travel the country, stay in RV parks.

Goal was to see the country & paint a sign/mural in every state.

How difficult is it to find gigs as a mural painter in states outside of your hometown? I gotta think that people are going to think local before reaching out to people from other areas... no?

Or does your mural work have a following and you are known enough that people call you?

/interdasting stuff