ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life *.* 2013 General Fitness Thread *.* (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268371)

NewChief 08-21-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9904338)
I was talking to a buddy in the gym the other night and I thought he was looking not quite with it. His preworkout for that night? A Percocet and a few beers. LMAO

ROFL. I made the mistake one time of taking a flexeril at night right at bedtime (had a crick in my neck) then trying to work out first thing in the morning. My muscles weren't working too well.

Saul Good 08-22-2013 07:55 AM

Started up my sprints again yesterday. They really suck. I'm a little sore today but not too bad.

I've noticed my weight starting to creep up a little bit in the last week. Not a ton, but a pound and a half or so. Seems like a dumb question, but how do you know when you're gaining muscle weight versus fat weight?

I bottomed out to the bottom of my goal for weight and now want to focus on adding five to ten pounds of muscle. I don't feel like I've added fat or slacked off, but I have a hard time believing I suddenly gained that much muscle in a week or two.

I need some direction on how to shift gears from losing bad weight to adding good weight.

Aspengc8 08-22-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9905766)
Started up my sprints again yesterday. They really suck. I'm a little sore today but not too bad.

I've noticed my weight starting to creep up a little bit in the last week. Not a ton, but a pound and a half or so. Seems like a dumb question, but how do you know when you're gaining muscle weight versus fat weight?

I bottomed out to the bottom of my goal for weight and now want to focus on adding five to ten pounds of muscle. I don't feel like I've added fat or slacked off, but I have a hard time believing I suddenly gained that much muscle in a week or two.

I need some direction on how to shift gears from losing bad weight to adding good weight.

Go by the mirror and by your strength levels. Weight is going to fluctuate based on your CHO & water intake, so I stay away from the scale. Maybe once a week if that.

It's going to be very hard to gain muscle without some fat accumulation. Most people who try to go that route end up usually 'spinning their wheels'. I am not advocating eating like a fat-ass, but if adding muscle is your goal don't be afraid of a little fat gain. Just add a little cardio in as 'damage control' every now and then if you feel like your getting too soft. The more muscle you have under it, the higher your BMR will be and the easier to cut fat off once you slower start tapering calories down.

Saul Good 08-22-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 9905804)
Go by the mirror and by your strength levels. Weight is going to fluctuate based on your CHO & water intake, so I stay away from the scale. Maybe once a week if that.

It's going to be very hard to gain muscle without some fat accumulation. Most people who try to go that route end up usually 'spinning their wheels'. I am not advocating eating like a fat-ass, but if adding muscle is your goal don't be afraid of a little fat gain. Just add a little cardio in as 'damage control' every now and then if you feel like your getting too soft. The more muscle you have under it, the higher your BMR will be and the easier to cut fat off once you slower start tapering calories down.

That makes sense. I am noticing that my muscles are getting much more defined now. A lot of that is probably nothing more than not being buried under a thin later of fat anymore.

I plan to keep running about 10-15 miles per week in 5 mile runs (probably more like 10 per week now that I'm also doing sprints). Is that too much cardio? Not enough?

Besides that, my only strength building activity is doing pushups. I'm doing 30 at a time 3-4 times a day. I think that plus the sprints is all I'm going to do for now. I may try to up it in the fall if I'm not getting the results I want. So far, I'm happy with my progress and don't feel like I'm in danger of burning myself out.

Buck 08-22-2013 08:43 AM

I've been hit by this sick bug at work. My throat gas been sore the last couple days, but I thought it was because I choked on my e-cig laughing and I thought it burned my throat.

Woke up today full blown sick. I still want to go to the gym, it should be empty during the morning. Is it a dick move for me to workout sick?

Saul Good 08-22-2013 08:43 AM

To your point about not adding muscle without accumulating fat, will I be able to retain the muscle if I work on losing the fat later? I want to be as muscular as I can without getting bulky. I'm never going to be jacked, but I'm trying to get as defined as I can. Ten pounds total is about the most I'm willing to gain in my attempts to add muscle. Obviously, I'd like the ratio of muscle to fat gained to be as high as possible.

Saul Good 08-22-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9905835)
I've been hit by this sick bug at work. My throat gas been sore the last couple days, but I thought it was because I choked on my e-cig laughing and I thought it burned my throat.

Woke up today full blown sick. I still want to go to the gym, it should be empty during the morning. Is it a dick move for me to workout sick?

Sounds like a sinus infection. Are you hacking up a lung?

Silock 08-22-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9905835)

Don't go and make other people sick. Take a day off.

Buck 08-22-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9905837)
Sounds like a sinus infection. Are you hacking up a lung?

Not quite that baf. I get fleghmy about once every hour. My throat is extremely sore and my back upper right teeth feel like there's something bulging into them from the inside of my face. I had my wisdom teeth out already too.

Saul Good 08-22-2013 08:57 AM

Do you guys use workout partners?

Buck 08-22-2013 09:01 AM

I'm running solo for now but got my roommate to join the same gym, so hopefully I can have a partner 1 day a week.

Aspengc8 08-22-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9905852)

yes. I don't really like training without one. I'm a big fan of pushing past failure (ie intensity), so I cant really do that without one. On the days we cant sync up I tend to use more machines w/bands and use different intensity techniques like rest/pause, or drop sets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9905836)
To your point about not adding muscle without accumulating fat, will I be able to retain the muscle if I work on losing the fat later? I want to be as muscular as I can without getting bulky. I'm never going to be jacked, but I'm trying to get as defined as I can. Ten pounds total is about the most I'm willing to gain in my attempts to add muscle. Obviously, I'd like the ratio of muscle to fat gained to be as high as possible.

All your doing is running and push-ups? And you want to gain 10lbs of muscle off that? Not sure if serious..
I can't even begin to answer your question because pushups and running is not giving your body a reason (ie stressor) to increase its muscle mass. If anything, it will want to decrease it in order to be more efficient at running 5 miles.

Saul Good 08-22-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspengc8 (Post 9905884)
yes. I don't really like training without one. I'm a big fan of pushing past failure (ie intensity), so I cant really do that without one. On the days we cant sync up I tend to use more machines w/bands and use different intensity techniques like rest/pause, or drop sets.

All your doing is running and push-ups? And you want to gain 10lbs of muscle off that? Not sure if serious..
I can't even begin to answer your question because pushups and running is not giving your body a reason (ie stressor) to increase its muscle mass. If anything, it will want to decrease it in order to be more efficient at running 5 miles.

I know plenty of people who have added that much muscle just from pushups and sprints while training for boxing. I figure that I should be able to add five pounds doing what I'm doing. Ten will be a stretch, but I'm okay with that if my only alternative is to make drastic changes.

I like the way I look when I'm thin and toned like I am now. Adding more muscle is a bonus, but I'm not willing to gain a bunch of bulk for a little muscle.

Right now, I look similar to Silock's "before" pics.

Omaha 08-22-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9905852)

Yes. When I can. With busy schedules, if my buddy & I can't workout together consistently, the trick becomes coordinating our routine. I may do a metcon workout that kills my legs and then he wants to do legs the very next day.

Aspengc8 08-22-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9905930)
I know plenty of people who have added that much muscle just from pushups and sprints while training for boxing. I figure that I should be able to add five pounds doing what I'm doing. Ten will be a stretch, but I'm okay with that if my only alternative is to make drastic changes.

I like the way I look when I'm thin and toned like I am now. Adding more muscle is a bonus, but I'm not willing to gain a bunch of bulk for a little muscle.

Right now, I look similar to Silock's "before" pics.

Then you pretty much answered your own questions. Nobody advocated 'drastic' changes. Not sure why everyone gets so confused over this stuff.. it's pretty damn easy. Want to gain muscle, eat more food. Want to lose fat, eat less food. Want to do both at the same time, and your not a beginner, get on TRT. I believe your pretty light (~150lbs or so I think) so it should be pretty easy for you to gain a but just doing basic metcon stuff.