ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Mark Cuban: "The NFL is 10 years away from an implosion." (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282526)

J Diddy 03-24-2014 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10513352)
For every person that is "turned off" of the NFL because of fantasy football, 10 more are turned on to it because of it.

All power to them. My preferences are based on my tastes rather than 10 other people.

keg in kc 03-24-2014 12:35 PM

I quit playing fantasy football probably 10 years ago now (christ), but I watch more games now than ever, and I love seeing all the stats.

As far as the original story, I think Cuban's nuts. To me, the only real danger to the NFL right now is the concussion issue. I love having Thursday games. Although I do agree that spreading to other nights would be overkill, and Saturdays need to remain the purview of college football.

MahiMike 03-24-2014 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10513215)
I don't get the bitching about MNF and fantasy football.
MNF has been on for 45 years. If you don't feel like watching it anymore or don't want to stay up that late, then don't.

There's been Sunday night games for 25 years. So Thursday night has been the only real semi-recent expansion. I think it is a bit unfair for the teams to have such a short week, but no one is forcing me to watch.

I understand not wanting to participate in fantasy football, but I don't understand how its existence makes anyone less interested in football or to like it any less.

Most of the complaining seems to be of the 'grumpy old man' variety. It's not exactly how it used to be, so you don't like it.

When I was your age we had to gather around a staticky radio and imagine what was happening. And WE LiKED IT THAT WAY!

cosmo20002 03-24-2014 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10513338)
Not really.

This is a sport where teams sell only about a half million tickets per year, most sell out, and the worst paid attendance is still about 80%. Attendance matters a lot more in MLB, NBA, and Hockey. NFL, not so much.

Lets take a weird, wild, crazy, unlikely disaster scenario where every team suddenly goes to 50% attendance. Thats what, $10MM/year maybe? TV money DWARFS that. They still want to sell out because, why not its extra money, and also half-empty stadiums look bad, but they will be nowhere near hurting if they have to cut prices a bit as long as the TV ratings continue as they are, and they will.

From an owner's perspective, the optimal stadium would probably be 10000 lower level sideline seats for the die-hard fans willing to pay for great seats and 500 luxury suites.

cosmo20002 03-24-2014 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10513360)
Another question these NFL doomsayers need to answer is, what else are you going to do in the Fall and Winter on Sunday? (If you live in San Diego or Southern Florida, be quiet, you don't count). Go to church? OK fine, you get back from church at about noon, now what? And when I ask what else are you going to do, I don't mean YOU, but the millions of Joe Sixpacks who are fueling the NFL machine. At least baseball has to compete against Summer recreation, but the NFL happens while most of the country is a dark, frigid wasteland and most people want to stay in.

Spend more quality time with the family, duh.

mr. tegu 03-24-2014 12:41 PM

I do find it ironic that people on a football message board are complaining about an oversaturation of the NFL.

alnorth 03-24-2014 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10513384)
From an owner's perspective, the optimal stadium would probably be 10000 lower level sideline seats for the die-hard fans willing to pay for great seats and 500 luxury suites.

Well, there is a competitive advantage to having 60k people in an enclosed bowl yelling when the other team is on offense, but beyond the high-dollar tickets you listed, if the NFL owner has to practically give the other 30-40k tickets away, they will, and won't be hurt much by that.

GoChargers 03-24-2014 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 10513391)
I do find it ironic that people on a football message board are complaining about an oversaturation of the NFL.

So being a fan of the product means never criticizing it and always being satisfied with the direction it's going in?

WhiteWhale 03-24-2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10513215)
I don't get the bitching about MNF and fantasy football.
MNF has been on for 45 years. If you don't feel like watching it anymore or don't want to stay up that late, then don't.

There's been Sunday night games for 25 years. So Thursday night has been the only real semi-recent expansion. I think it is a bit unfair for the teams to have such a short week, but no one is forcing me to watch.

I understand not wanting to participate in fantasy football, but I don't understand how its existence makes anyone less interested in football or to like it any less.

Most of the complaining seems to be of the 'grumpy old man' variety. It's not exactly how it used to be, so you don't like it.

Fantasy football would ruin my experience. Plus, I think it looks like a stupid game to play. It doesn't impact how I enjoy a game because other people play it.

What fantasy football is doing is making fans more narrow minded,in turn making discussion about it more annoying.

alnorth 03-24-2014 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10513387)
Spend more quality time with the family, duh.

If the lights are on, the heat is working, the internet is up, and there's food in the fridge, then your obligations are fulfilled. I suppose you could also grunt an acknowledgement if you happen to see a family member walk by.

KCUnited 03-24-2014 01:01 PM

More comparable to the UFC. I went from watching every event to not even knowing when it's on (last night) and the UFC is more popular than ever.

Chiefnj2 03-24-2014 01:06 PM

If for some reason ratings were to drop to basketball levels, Roger will just send a team or two overseas and cash in on foreign revenue.

mr. tegu 03-24-2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChargers (Post 10513421)
So being a fan of the product means never criticizing it and always being satisfied with the direction it's going in?

I guess you are correct. When I desire to purchase a book at the bookstore I often find myself complaining about being inundated with books. It is the same when I go to a Royals game. I just hate being bombarded with MLB stuff everywhere.

cosmo20002 03-24-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10513422)
Fantasy football would ruin my experience. Plus, I think it looks like a stupid game to play. It doesn't impact how I enjoy a game because other people play it.

What fantasy football is doing is making fans more narrow minded,in turn making discussion about it more annoying.

I like FF. It's gambling and makes more games more interesting.
But I also realize that no one else gives a shit about my team. FF people should probably keep that in mind more often.

Discuss Thrower 03-24-2014 01:50 PM

1) Oversaturation in the United States.
2) Impossible to grow support for the game of football, let alone a professional league, in both the developed world outside of the US and Canada as well as the developing world.
3) One on-field death will force the NCAA and NFL to radically change the rules of play to non-collision as well as scare parents into forbidding their children from playing the sport.

Cuban's absolutely right on this.