ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports NBA to take on flopping (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=260663)

whoman69 06-19-2012 06:51 PM

NBA to take on flopping

To some NBA fans, flopping is a scourge upon the NBA. Like pump-faking or playing with other superstars, it degrades the ideals of competition on which sport is founded. If the NBA wants to be taken seriously and move beyond record ratings, they must do something drastic.

Luckily, David Stern and his handpicked competition committee are meeting this week to discuss potential fixes. On Monday, they talked specifically about how to hand out punishments after games. From Brian Mahoney for the Associated Press:

The NBA commissioner believes too many players are deceiving referees into calling fouls by falling down, or flopping. So he and the league's newly reformed competition committee met Monday for a discussion about how it can be prevented.

One option, Stern said, is a ''postgame analysis'' in which a player could be penalized if it was determined he flopped. The league retroactively upgrades or downgrades flagrant fouls after review, and along those lines he said that perhaps a player could receive a message from New York saying: ''Greetings from the league office. You have been assigned flopper status.''

''No, I'm joking, but something like that,'' Stern said. ''That sort of lets people know that it's not enough to say 'it's all part of the game.'''

My own joking aside, it would be good if the league could crack down on flopping. I'm not convinced that it's a major issue for the NBA, but it'd be best if it weren't so prevalent. On the other hand, the postgame plan helps underline exactly why it will be hard to stop flopping.

Under this proposal, one man (perhaps suspension/fine czar Stu Jackson) would have to assess all questionable flopping instances on any night. But if flopping is as common as some believe, then that would be a time-consuming process, particularly on nights with 10 or more games. Can a centralized situation do that much work? Would the league have to enforce selectively to make it manageable? Is that fair?

On top of that issue, the entire use of flopping is that it makes the intentional look unintentional. Even when divorced from the clamor of in-game officiating, assessing a charging or blocking foul for intent is a tricky task. Can we really know if a player meant to fall? What should we make of situations where there is legitimate foul-worthy contact and embellishment? Where do they draw the line? If players are allowed to appeal flopping rulings (which seems necessary, especially for this type of transgressions), then we could see arguments over intent usually kept to courtrooms and theological conferences.

In this case, the solution to the War on Flopping might prove much more controversial and difficult to rein in than the crime itself. The NBA and its fans have every right to cry foul over flopping, but they'd do well to consider the unintended consequences of enforcement.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...4016--nba.html

notorious 06-19-2012 07:09 PM

Suspension for the season should work.

Wade will never play another game.

RealSNR 06-19-2012 07:10 PM

At this point I'd be totally fine if they only focused on what is and is not a charge. They should be making it far more difficult for defensive players to get that charging call. Right now most of them can slide in at the very last split second before the offensive player has a chance to change their course on the drive. If they did something like the defensive player has to claim that position on the court counting to one-banana, that would go a long way to making those calls far less prevalent.

That is a rule that the NCAA should ABSOLUTELY be considering as well. Charging calls in college are far ****ing worse than they are in the pros. It's despicable to watch UNC and Duke and some of these other schools prey on the charge.

BigRedChief 06-19-2012 07:11 PM

Its heading down the soccer path quick. They had better do something.

pr_capone 06-19-2012 08:02 PM

Like pump faking?

I have no problem with pump faking. Now... pump faking to get the defender in the air, then purposely jumping into them to draw a foul is bullshit.

Setsuna 06-19-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pr_capone (Post 8689557)
Like pump faking?

I have no problem with pump faking. Now... pump faking to get the defender in the air, then purposely jumping into them to draw a foul is bullshit.

Agreed. That's some bull crap.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 06-19-2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Like pump faking?

Is it my imagination or can we all thank Paul Pierce for that? **** that guy

jd1020 06-19-2012 08:23 PM

Those should be offensive fouls, imo, or they should do with those "fouls" like they do now with that shit Durant made popular where he would sweep his arms around through the defenders if the defender had his hand extended and get the call. They don't call that shit any more.

Pitt Gorilla 06-19-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Like pump faking?

You just described Wade's game.

notorious 06-19-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8690094)
You just described Wade's game.

I believe that Wade has never taken a shot without falling down, too. He knows how to fall without hurting himself better then a professional wrestler.

Demonpenz 06-19-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla (Post 8689596)
Is it my imagination or can we all thank Paul Pierce for that? **** that guy

Reggie and Cherryl

thabear04 06-20-2012 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 8690114)
I believe that Wade has never taken a shot without falling down, too. He knows how to fall without hurting himself better then a professional wrestler.

Tonight game he fall and hurt his hip. Guess he did not practice that flop during the off season.

|Zach| 06-20-2012 01:16 AM

This would be hard to take on in the NBA. It has been cleaned up a lot in the MLS with retroactive punishment.

SPchief 06-20-2012 02:51 AM

Clearly Zach was drawn into this thread.

|Zach| 06-20-2012 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPchief (Post 8690348)
Clearly Zach was drawn into this thread.

Heh, I was just reading yesterday morning something about the NBA's interest in how the MLS has dealt with the issue in a way that uniquely American.