ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   ChiefsPlanet Can we talk about megathreads? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=309332)

DaFace 08-14-2017 11:31 AM

Can we talk about megathreads?

Hey ChiefsPlanet. Can we all agree that, at least at some level, megathreads suck? I mean, if you want to have a megathread in the media center to talk about a TV show, a megathread about a sports team/league other than the Chiefs, etc., that's just fine.

But about Chiefs discussion? A vast majority of the time, those quickly turn into a shit slinging contest from a handful of opinionated posters. A lot of people just avoid them for that reason, yet people feel like they can't post a thread about a topic that was already buried in some sort of megathread because people will just bitch at them for the "repost". It's one of the most frequent complaints we hear from people who aren't on here all the time - it's just hard to keep up in that format. Hell, I'm theoretically on the leadership team around here, and I find myself pretty much just going to Arrowhead Pride or the Star for my Chiefs news and coming here almost out of habit.

The problem is that it's hard to really set "rules" in place that wouldn't feel obnoxious. No threads above 500 posts? That would kill game threads and all of the "legit" megathreads out there. No megathreads on Chiefs topics? Well, what's your definition there?

Until we can come up with a better idea, can we all just agree to try and collectively encourage people to post individual threads on Chiefs topics? That could mean:
  1. If someone posts a thread, and particularly if they take the time to format an article from a different source so that it can be easily read here, say thanks. Give people positive rep. It takes effort (and a tiny bit of thick skin) to post a thread around here, so we should try and appreciate the time it takes.
  2. If there's a thread that is about news that hasn't had its own thread already posted, it's NOT A REPOST. If a mod is having a bad day, we might even boot you from the thread if you gripe at people for a "repost" that is buried in a megathread. And, megathread haters, feel free to discourage this kind of thing in whatever fashion you feel personally suits the situation.
  3. Try not to feel like a Chiefs topic isn't important enough for a thread. I would have loved to have a daily discussion thread on training camp to be able to hear about which scrubs look promising and which should hit the road. Is that in the megathread somewhere? Probably. But I'd have to wade through hundreds of penbrook posts to find it. And no one should have to do that.
  4. If someone posts an ACTUAL repost (where there's another thread specifically on that topic), give them the benefit of the doubt, and try not to be an ass about it. Report the thread to the mods if it bothers you, and we can merge the threads together.

There's a balance somewhere beyond which the whole place would be filled with shit threads and reposts, but we're so far away from that that it's hard to imagine we'd go too far any time soon. So...post more threads, you ****ing assholes. And if someone gives you shit about it, tell them the mods tell them to **** off.

Rasputin 08-14-2017 11:37 AM

I like the Training Camp mega thread with the Tweeter feeder.

Eleazar 08-14-2017 11:38 AM

Megathreads suck and they should all be destroyed.

Direckshun 08-14-2017 11:49 AM

My proposition:

Megathreads make sense for niche discussions -- Mizzou basketball, cooking tips, luv's romantic life, etc.

For Chiefs discussion, there should not be megathreads. Every article that is posted about training camp deserves its own thread (most days).

Rain Man 08-14-2017 11:50 AM

I generally stay out of megathreads, because I don't know what to look for. I like threads where the headline matches the content. Maybe it goes back to all of those standardized tests where you have to pick the headline that matches the article.

Rain Man 08-14-2017 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 13011981)
My proposition:

Megathreads make sense for niche discussions -- Mizzou basketball, cooking tips, luv's romantic life, etc.

For Chiefs discussion, there should not be megathreads. Every article that is posted about training camp deserves its own thread (most days).

This is an idea that is brilliant in its simplicity.

DaFace 08-14-2017 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 13011981)
My proposition:

In most cases, I agree. I'm a bit torn on stuff like the Alex sucks thread, though. It's nice to confine that kind of bullshit to one place.

Bugeater 08-14-2017 11:52 AM

It would also be nice to find a way to confine penbrook's bullshit to one place as well.

Tribal Warfare 08-14-2017 11:55 AM

You want is ironic this may become a megathread

The Franchise 08-14-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13011987)
In most cases, I agree. I'm a bit torn on stuff like the Alex sucks thread, though. It's nice to confine that kind of bullshit to one place.

https://m.popkey.co/2b932f/Wx16e.gif

ModSocks 08-14-2017 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13011943)
Hey ChiefsPlanet. Can we all agree that, at least at some level, megathreads suck?

No.

I like Megathreads. I keep up with the ones im interested in everyday. I like having consolidated information.

With that said, anything newsworthy should be made into a separate thread and should not referred to as a Q just because it was posted in a Megathread. No reason we can't have both.

BlackHelicopters 08-14-2017 11:59 AM

True words, Face.

The Franchise 08-14-2017 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13011998)
No.

I like Megathreads. I keep up with the ones im interested in everyday. I like having consolidated information.

With that said, anything newsworthy should be made into a separate thread and should not referred to as a Q just because it was posted in a Megathread. No reason we can't have both.

This.

ModSocks 08-14-2017 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13011943)

Until we can come up with a better idea, can we all just agree to try and collectively encourage people to post individual threads on Chiefs topics? That could mean:
  1. If someone posts a thread, and particularly if they take the time to format an article from a different source so that it can be easily read here, say thanks. Give people positive rep. It takes effort (and a tiny bit of thick skin) to post a thread around here, so we should try and appreciate the time it takes.
  2. If there's a thread that is about news that hasn't had its own thread already posted, it's NOT A REPOST. If a mod is having a bad day, we might even boot you from the thread if you gripe at people for a "repost" that is buried in a megathread. And, megathread haters, feel free to discourage this kind of thing in whatever fashion you feel personally suits the situation.
  3. Try not to feel like a Chiefs topic isn't important enough for a thread. I would have loved to have a daily discussion thread on training camp to be able to hear about which scrubs look promising and which should hit the road. Is that in the megathread somewhere? Probably. But I'd have to wade through hundreds of penbrook posts to find it. And no one should have to do that.
  4. If someone posts an ACTUAL repost (where there's another thread specifically on that topic), give them the benefit of the doubt, and try not to be an ass about it. Report the thread to the mods if it bothers you, and we can merge the threads together.

There's a balance somewhere beyond which the whole place would be filled with shit threads and reposts, but we're so far away from that that it's hard to imagine we'd go too far any time soon. So...post more threads, you ****ing assholes. And if someone gives you shit about it, tell them the mods tell them to **** off.

This can all be done and still have megathreads. People just need to stop being the Q police just because they read it in a Megathread first.

Frosty 08-14-2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13011998)
No.

This

What DaFace is asking for (more threads, fewer megathreads) won't really work because of the way CP is currently formatted, imo. Relevant threads will quickly drop off the first page amongst all of the poop threads. If off topic threads were kept in their own subforum, then it would work. If not, then it easier to find new info in the megathreads.

As it stands, tighter moderation against off topic BS in the megathreads and relaxation of the Q Police would go a long way in making the current situation better.