ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop If you dont get this POS server fixed (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=236416)

DaFace 11-06-2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D2112 (Post 7150350)

Not specifically, but I've dug all over the place. Trust me, if it was something I could figure out by digging around and trying shit, I would have. I probably wasted 40-60 hours screwing with the damn thing during a two-week period a while back.

Donger 11-06-2010 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 7150357)
So...what is it like?

I feel like Bill Paxton's character in True Lies.

2112 11-06-2010 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 7150343)

Donation sent.

+1

Donger 11-06-2010 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D2112 (Post 7150378)
+1

Cheap bastard.

2112 11-06-2010 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7150359)
Not specifically, but I've dug all over the place. Trust me, if it was something I could figure out by digging around and trying shit, I would have. I probably wasted 40-60 hours screwing with the damn thing during a two-week period a while back.

Holy shit..lol..well, like it hasnt been said eleventy billion times already. thanks for everything you do! I know the pay isnt as good as it was when you were an employee of RainMan Inc LTD ™ :evil:

R8RFAN 11-06-2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 7150269)
Would money actually solve the issues? If so, there should be a fund raiser.

it is probably an optimization issue in MYSQL, That would be the place I would start looking first.

R8RFAN 11-06-2010 06:04 PM

I take that back because I rarely see a database error message when the site is having issues, lemme think a few minutes....

2112 11-06-2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 7150386)
it is probably an optimization issue in MYSQL, That would be the place I would start looking first.

This place has a massive ****ed up database ;) and MYSQL is a ****ing pain in the ass. when you dont allow guests it runs like a champion.

Buck 11-06-2010 06:06 PM

I just donated $10 with the stipulation that I'll donate more if a Donation Request thread is created for a new server...

R8RFAN 11-06-2010 06:07 PM

I notice the site hangs, wonder if you may have a bad stick of ram or possibly a hard drive failure in the early stages?

R8RFAN 11-06-2010 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D2112 (Post 7150390)
This place has a massive ****ed up database ;) and MYSQL is a ****ing pain in the ass. when you dont allow guests it runs like a champion.

Well, actually unless they have a very old server, it should handle a thousand or so on at once with some slowdown but not crashing... I had over 750 online at once on my server.. and it barely got over a 2 on the server load

I know at peak times, especially after a loss this place is hard to get on but during the week this should not be happening... Still think it may be a bad stick of ram or a hard drive beginning to stick and fail

DaFace 11-06-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 7150400)
I notice the site hangs, wonder if you may have a bad stick of ram or possibly a hard drive failure in the early stages?

Eh, maybe, but I doubt it. The basic underlying condition is that we occasionally have a query that just gets "stuck." Many times, it's a completely innocuous query (like the one that grabs the posts for a thread), so it's not that the specific query is the issue. But when one gets stuck, it locks the POST table, which causes tons of others to back up behind it.

Most of the time, the stuck query eventually finishes up, and the rest then complete. That's what is happening when we have a 15-30 second lag here and there.

Other times, the query just gets stuck for an insane amount of time. They're supposed to time out after a few minutes, but often don't for some reason. When that happens, it can take the place down for a long time until MySQL eventually croaks and resets itself. By that point, the stuck query has driven our server loads through the roof, so it takes even longer for the average load to come back down far enough for vB to let people back in. That's generally the issue we've seen on gamedays.

I THINK it has something to do with our memory allocation (key_buffers and stuff like that), but my tweaks don't seem to make any difference.

DaFace 11-06-2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 7150409)
Well, actually unless they have a very old server, it should handle a thousand or so on at once with some slowdown but not crashing... I had over 750 online at once on my server.. and it barely got over a 2 on the server load

I know at peak times, especially after a loss this place is hard to get on but during the week this should not be happening... Still think it may be a bad stick of ram or a hard drive beginning to stick and fail

Our POST table is over 2 gigs in size - that's much more of a likely culprit than heavy user load. I've added a couple indexes, but that obviously hasn't helped much.

2112 11-06-2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7150418)
Eh, maybe, but I doubt it. The basic underlying condition is that we occasionally have a query that just gets "stuck." Many times, it's a completely innocuous query (like the one that grabs the posts for a thread), so it's not that the specific query is the issue. But when one gets stuck, it locks the POST table, which causes tons of others to back up behind it.

Most of the time, the stuck query eventually finishes up, and the rest then complete. That's what is happening when we have a 15-30 second lag here and there.

Other times, the query just gets stuck for an insane amount of time. They're supposed to time out after a few minutes, but often don't for some reason. When that happens, it can take the place down for a long time until MySQL eventually croaks and resets itself. By that point, the stuck query has driven our server loads through the roof, so it takes even longer for the average load to come back down far enough for vB to let people back in. That's generally the issue we've seen on gamedays.

I THINK it has something to do with our memory allocation (key_buffers and stuff like that), but my tweaks don't seem to make any difference.

You dont restart MYSQL when it lags? it's an automated reset?

DaFace 11-06-2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D2112 (Post 7150426)
You dont restart MYSQL when it lags? it's an automated reset?

If I'm around, I do. If not, it hangs until mysql crashes and restarts itself.