ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Would you consider Josh Jacobs at 29? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=321149)

staylor26 02-05-2019 07:56 PM

Would you consider Josh Jacobs at 29?

Just got done watching his tape, and I’d have to say I’d be tempted. Normally I’m against a RB in the 1st, but this guy truly has elite upside. He runs very hard, he’s quick with good speed, he can catch the ball out of the backfield and is damgerous in space, and he can block/pass protect very well. He has some ridiculous blocks in his highlight video.

Would you trade our 1st for a guy like Kamara on a 4 year rookie contract with the 5th year option? That’s incredible value that we’re honestly unlikely to get at corner or safety all the way down at 29 for instance.

I still probably wouldn’t do it, but I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t consider it.

O.city 02-05-2019 08:03 PM

No

Never

BryanBusby 02-05-2019 08:03 PM

With how many needs the Chiefs have right now, I would not.

staylor26 02-05-2019 08:07 PM

Lol I knew this wouldn’t be a popular idea on CP.

Again, small chance I pull the trigger, but if we sign a couple defensive starters in free agency and a #2 TE, I’d be tempted.

RunKC 02-05-2019 10:14 PM

Yes absolutely. Nerds can figure stats and what not, but the foundation to playoff football is stopping the run and running the ball.

DJ's left nut 02-05-2019 10:34 PM

No.

Willie Lanier 02-06-2019 12:08 AM

Not just no but HELL NO

We have far too many needs superseding tailback to address...

I wouldn't be mad if the first rounder was on offense, but that position is at the very least solid

O.city 02-06-2019 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14093202)
Yes absolutely. Nerds can figure stats and what not, but the foundation to playoff football is stopping the run and running the ball.

Nah.

The pats ran for all those yards against kc and stopped the run and should have lost.

You can find rbs everywhere.

htismaqe 02-06-2019 10:18 AM

No.

O.city 02-06-2019 10:28 AM

Even if he turns into an elite RB, do you get the value you would from a really good say, corner or safety or DL?

I just don't think there is a lot of difference between an elite RB and a really good RB. So much depends on the OL, the scheme etc. that I think you can pretty much take a guy every so many years in the 3 or 4 round, run him down and pick up another one.

The shelf life is so short, even taking them in the first and getting 5 years, you may or may not get 5 years out of him physically.

Look at it this way, the Giants took Barkley at what, 2? He was the rookie of the year, looked awesome. I still think it was probably the wrong choice as long as they have Eli.

El Jefe 02-06-2019 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14093701)
Even if he turns into an elite RB, do you get the value you would from a really good say, corner or safety or DL?

I just don't think there is a lot of difference between an elite RB and a really good RB. So much depends on the OL, the scheme etc. that I think you can pretty much take a guy every so many years in the 3 or 4 round, run him down and pick up another one.

The shelf life is so short, even taking them in the first and getting 5 years, you may or may not get 5 years out of him physically.

Look at it this way, the Giants took Barkley at what, 2? He was the rookie of the year, looked awesome. I still think it was probably the wrong choice as long as they have Eli.

Agree completely, look at Zeke, best RB in football, but he cant win the game himself.

O.city 02-06-2019 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Jefe (Post 14093725)
Agree completely, look at Zeke, best RB in football, but he cant win the game himself.

I've had this conversation before, but I guess we can again LOL>

Zeke is for sure a badass dude. Great RB. Elite, top of the line RB.

I still think the Cowboys would have been better served taking Ramsey there and a RB later.

RunKC 02-06-2019 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14093508)
Nah.

The pats ran for all those yards against kc and stopped the run and should have lost.

You can find rbs everywhere.

I’d prefer TJ Yeldon, but I’m just saying I wouldn’t rule it out. If the board is bare at 29 I would rather take Jacobs than a lesser player to simply reach for defense.

O.city 02-06-2019 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14093770)
I’d prefer TJ Yeldon, but I’m just saying I wouldn’t rule it out. If the board is bare at 29 I would rather take Jacobs than a lesser player to simply reach for defense.

If the board is that bare, they've set it wrong.

Year after year we see RB's come from late in the draft. Why would we take one that early.

htismaqe 02-06-2019 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14093788)

Year after year we see RB's come from late in the draft. Why would we take one that early.

This.

RunKC 02-06-2019 11:57 AM

Quote:

Late rd RB’s are not Josh Jacobs. Most of them are 1 dimensional. Phillip Lindsay nor Damien Williams can be tough, tackle breaking between the tackle runners. Spencer Ware was slow.

Jacobs is a faster Kareem Hunt, and in an offensive league, he’s what could put us over the top.

This offense struggled at times without Kareem. I really don’t want to put it all on Pat to have to pull miracles out of his ass every time.

Again Jacobs isn’t my first choice, but this offense would be in god mode with him.

htismaqe 02-06-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14093891)
Late rd RB’s are not Josh Jacobs. Most of them are 1 dimensional. Phillip Lindsay nor Damien Williams can be tough, tackle breaking between the tackle runners. Spencer Ware was slow.

Jacobs is a faster Kareem Hunt, and in an offensive league, he’s what could put us over the top.

This offense struggled at times without Kareem. I really don’t want to put it all on Pat to have to pull miracles out of his ass every time.

Again Jacobs isn’t my first choice, but this offense would be in god mode with him.

Pat pulled off just as many miracles WITH Hunt as he did without. The "need" is overblown.

O.city 02-06-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14093891)

Was Kareem one dimensional? How about Kamara? The list is long man. You don't need an all world back.

The Rams had a non dimensional RB. Still had to put it on the QB to win.

It's a QB league, the Chiefs have the best one going right now and we want to take the ball out of his hands more? No thanks.

If you want to help Pat, build up the OL, get the defense better, get him more pass catching weapons, then improve the RB spot if you want.

Chris Meck 02-06-2019 12:17 PM

dude. NO. As bad as our defense was, and people want a RB in the first?

O.city 02-06-2019 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 14093947)
dude. NO. As bad as our defense was, and people want a RB in the first?

It's not even that for me. If they want to take a TE or a WR or an OL in the first, go for it. Make a strength stronger.

I'm just not ever going to take a RB that early.

O.city 02-06-2019 12:22 PM

I dont' think Jordan Howard really fits what Nagy wants, I might call them up and see if they'd take a 5th for him.

htismaqe 02-06-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14093954)
It's not even that for me. If they want to take a TE or a WR or an OL in the first, go for it. Make a strength stronger.

I'm just not ever going to take a RB that early.

This.

Chargem 02-06-2019 02:36 PM

Hell no to a RB in the first, probably no matter what the situation is nevermind the Chiefs actual situation on defense this coming year.

Just to add another reason why it is never right to draft a RB in the 1st, on top of all of the other ones people already mentioned, is do you trust a rookie RB to pick up blitzes on third down at an NFL level? If he fails at that you're putting Pat at risk, or the alternative is your 1st round pick is a 2 down back his first year plus. No thanks.

Mecca 02-06-2019 03:17 PM

It depends, if they have a really good FA period it could be an option.

kccrow 02-06-2019 06:58 PM

No.

Chief Northman 02-06-2019 08:23 PM

Not enough of a body of work on Jacobs to merit using a 1st on him. It is great that he is low mileage, but he ran by committee behind one of the nation’s best offensive units. Too many unknowns, and not enough talent differential to a lot of guys you can get on Day 2/3.

O.city 02-06-2019 08:40 PM

I’d take the kid from OU later and hope he stays healthy

T-post Tom 02-07-2019 02:14 AM

NO no NO

LanTera 02-07-2019 05:33 AM

I just hope no

UChieffyBugger 02-07-2019 07:40 AM

Quote:

Because it's been proven that the vast majority of the elite rb's playing today were taken in the first round. Hunt and Kamara seem to have given folks the false notion that it's easy to get a very good rb in the later rounds but there's a big difference between "elite" and "good" imo.

As for the question. Yes, i'd do it if we are getting the next Zeke/Gurley/Bell/Gordon etc. Becaise as much as the defense needs help, I think the offesnse needs some pieces too just to keep it at a high level for next year.

O.city 02-07-2019 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 14095109)
Because it's been proven that the vast majority of the elite rb's playing today were taken in the first round. Hunt and Kamara seem to have given folks the false notion that it's easy to get a very good rb in the later rounds but there's a big difference between "elite" and "good" imo.

As for the question. Yes, i'd do it if we are getting the next Zeke/Gurley/Bell/Gordon etc. Becaise as much as the defense needs help, I think the offesnse needs some pieces too just to keep it at a high level for next year.

There just isn't that big of a difference between a good back and an elite one. They don't bring that much value.

staylor26 02-07-2019 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14095166)
There just isn't that big of a difference between a good back and an elite one. They don't bring that much value.

While there’s some truth to that, Gurley/Kamara/Hunt/Elliot/Gordon were all in the playoffs (not Hunt technically but the team was you get the point) and the Steelers missed out without Bell.

Elite RB’s certainly make a difference in terms of winning football games, and there’s no denying that. Just because they’re not entirely difficult to replace doesn’t mean they don’t make a big difference.

staylor26 02-07-2019 09:00 AM

Again, I’m with you guys on the don’t take a RB high thing, but we’re talking about pick 29 here. If you can get an elite RB at 29 I think you’d be silly not to at least consider it. I’m pretty sure there will be a defensive player that I’d prefer still on the board, but the truth is a guy like Dee Ford is probably as good as it gets there.

If a genius like Bill was willing to do it last year for a guy that’s not even elite, I don’t understand why people think it’s so crazy.

O.city 02-07-2019 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14095185)
While there’s some truth to that, Gurley/Kamara/Hunt/Elliot/Gordon were all in the playoffs (not Hunt technically but the team was you get the point) and the Steelers missed out without Bell.

Elite RB’s certainly make a difference in terms of winning football games, and there’s no denying that. Just because they’re not entirely difficult to replace doesn’t mean they don’t make a big difference.

Eh, that's true.

I'm not trying to come off saying they aren't good to have. Sure, if you have one it's nice.

But I'm not spending a first looking for one. Atleast at 29, you can maybe justify it because there isn't going to be a lot of elite blue chippers left by then, but still.

There is just too much evidence every year that they can be found everywhere.

And in terms of Hunt, doesn't that kind of reiterate my point? The Chiefs lost Hunt, threw in a RB they signed for pennies and he did what he did in the playoffs.

O.city 02-07-2019 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14095211)
Again, I’m with you guys on the don’t take a RB high thing, but we’re talking about pick 29 here. If you can get an elite RB at 29 I think you’d be silly not to at least consider it. I’m pretty sure there will be a defensive player that I’d prefer still on the board, but the truth is a guy like Dee Ford is probably as good as it gets there.

If a genius like Bill was willing to do it last year for a guy that’s not even elite, I don’t understand why people think it’s so crazy.

That's the problem though. A Dee Ford player brings just as much value, if not more, than an elite level RB. From a usage standpoint, from a money standpoint etc.

Getting a Dee Ford type player on a 5 year contract for cheap is super ass valuable, especially when you can get say, 80% of (insert elite RB) in the 3rd or 4th round.

staylor26 02-07-2019 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14095227)
That's the problem though. A Dee Ford player brings just as much value, if not more, than an elite level RB. From a usage standpoint, from a money standpoint etc.

Getting a Dee Ford type player on a 5 year contract for cheap is super ass valuable, especially when you can get say, 80% of (insert elite RB) in the 3rd or 4th round.

A Dee Ford is also likely going to take much more time and development, where RB could give you elite play from day 1. Would you really take Dee Ford’s 5 years over those elite RB’s?

I’m kind of playing devil’s advocate here, but I’m open to it.

O.city 02-07-2019 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14095236)
A Dee Ford is also likely going to take much more time and development, where RB could give you elite play from day 1. Would you really take Dee Ford’s 5 years over those elite RB’s?

I’m kind of playing devil’s advocate here, but I’m open to it.

Sure, that's not wrong.

But I can also find an UDFA RB that can give me good play at RB from day one as well while said Dee Ford player is developing a little.

I think Ford's developmental curve was a little stunted due to injury and playing time, hopefully that wouldn't be the norm.

staylor26 02-07-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14095240)
Sure, that's not wrong.

But I can also find an UDFA RB that can give me good play at RB from day one as well while said Dee Ford player is developing a little.

I think Ford's developmental curve was a little stunted due to injury and playing time, hopefully that wouldn't be the norm.

Both good points, like I said I’d lean against it, but I can see a scenario where he’s in my top 5.

O.city 02-07-2019 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14095246)
Both good points, like I said I’d lean against it, but I can see a scenario where he’s in my top 5.

I'm kind of at the point where I just want them to take a good player that can help, pretty quickly.

Be it a ILB, Safety, Guard whatever.

I won't be pissed if they take a RB that late in the first, once you get back there it is what it is.

But if they take Jacobs with Hockerson or someone like that on the board, that would suck.

staylor26 02-07-2019 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14095248)
I'm kind of at the point where I just want them to take a good player that can help, pretty quickly.

Be it a ILB, Safety, Guard whatever.

I won't be pissed if they take a RB that late in the first, once you get back there it is what it is.

But if they take Jacobs with Hockerson or someone like that on the board, that would suck.

Agreed. Ideally, Jacobs goes before our pick and pushes a defensive prospect down.

O.city 02-07-2019 09:36 AM

One other thing with taking a RB there, is that while you do get 5 cheap years, you pretty much aren't going to think about resigning them after that. 5 years of wear and tear and they'll be worn down.

It's probably a non factor, what with how short careers are anyway, but it's alteast a talking point i'm bringing up after having 2 cups of coffee this morning.

O.city 02-07-2019 09:38 AM

I just don't think Andy values them high enough to take one in the first. That to me kind of makes it a non starter.

I just don't think he'd ever allocate that resource to one there, with how good he is at scheming them.

RunKC 02-07-2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14095222)
Eh, that's true.

I'm not trying to come off saying they aren't good to have. Sure, if you have one it's nice.

But I'm not spending a first looking for one. Atleast at 29, you can maybe justify it because there isn't going to be a lot of elite blue chippers left by then, but still.

There is just too much evidence every year that they can be found everywhere.

And in terms of Hunt, doesn't that kind of reiterate my point? The Chiefs lost Hunt, threw in a RB they signed for pennies and he did what he did in the playoffs.

30 yards on 10 carries?

Damien is a really good receiving back, but he’s not a tough between the tackles, get extra yards by breaking tackles back.

I’m with staylor here. Jacobs isn’t my first choice, but he should be considered. I see him and think “man that guy really is a faster Kareem Hunt.”

Board should have multiple defensive stars for us though. It’s a deep class.

O.city 02-07-2019 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14095307)
30 yards on 10 carries?

Damien is a really good receiving back, but he’s not a tough between the tackles, get extra yards by breaking tackles back.

I’m with staylor here. Jacobs isn’t my first choice, but he should be considered. I see him and think “man that guy really is a faster Kareem Hunt.”

Board should have multiple defensive stars for us though. It’s a deep class.

In the playoffs, Williams had 35 carries for 160 yards and 2 TD's, caught 10 passes for 91 yards and 2 TD's.

And that is supposed to make me want to spend a first round pick on a RB to replace him because player runs better between the tackles?

Nah, no thanks.

Grab a guy in the 3rd or 4th round to do that if you want to.

Best22 02-07-2019 10:47 AM

Our offense “struggled” without Kareem?

I think that’s because we played tougher opponents. Once Hunt was cut, we played Oaklandx2, Chargers, Seattle, Ravens, Colts, and Pats. 5 playoff teams. And we still averaged 29.6ppg vs those playoff teams.

We need premier, starting caliber defensive players. We have a great shot at getting one in the first round. It can’t be wasted on an offensive luxury

Which RB actually won the Superbowl? Burkhead, White, and Michel.

staylor26 02-07-2019 10:53 AM

Umm Sony Michel had 336 yards and 6 TD’s in the postseason. I don’t think he’s the example you want to use.

htismaqe 02-07-2019 10:55 AM

We don't need a RB.

Best22 02-07-2019 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14095398)
Umm Sony Michel had 336 yards and 6 TD’s in the postseason. I don’t think he’s the example you want to use.

A nice, 900 yard, 6 TD back who exploded in the playoffs

Williams and Michel also have similar YPC

Simply not worth a first.

staylor26 02-07-2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Best22 (Post 14095422)
A nice, 900 yard, 6 TD back who exploded in the playoffs

Williams and Michel also have similar YPC

Simply not worth a first.

Yea I’m sure Bill’s really regretting that choice.

Look, I get it, I’ve said numerous times that I’m playing devils advocate, but some of you are acting like we’re talking about a top 5-15 pick here. I’m pretty sure Bill wouldn’t take one that though high either.

The Franchise 02-07-2019 11:26 AM

We've got Damien and Darrel Williams. **** drafting a RB in the 1st round.

Best22 02-07-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14095457)

Look, I get it, I’ve said numerous times that I’m playing devils advocate, but some of you are acting like we’re talking about a top 5-15 pick here. I’m pretty sure Bill wouldn’t take one that though high either.

It’s still a first round pick. There’s gonna be a ton of good players available at pick 29. A ton

We have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds. We could get a starter (maybe 2) on defense and another future contributor before the 3rd round, where we can target a RB or TE. Sign a Free Agent offensive lineman

Teach good defensive fundamentals=Chiefs stacked in 2019

htismaqe 02-07-2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14095457)

Bill is in a position where he can draft like that. That team has zero glaring needs. The Chiefs will be there soon enough but they're not there YET.