ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Plasma vs LCD? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=277198)

Third Eye 10-09-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10067241)
If you don't mind a space heater and electricity hog and glare.

Modern plasmas aren't really like that. My 59" samsung doesn't put off any noticeable heat and I don't have any glare issues, though that it mostly attributable to my room. It does use a little more energy, but it's pretty negligible. Maybe a dollar a month.

DaneMcCloud 10-09-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 10067472)
Modern plasmas aren't really like that. My 59" samsung doesn't put off any noticeable heat and I don't have any glare issues, though that it mostly attributable to my room. It does use a little more energy, but it's pretty negligible. Maybe a dollar a month.

Maybe the heat isn't noticeable to you but I can definitely tell my either my 47 or 65" LCD have been on for even an hour because the temperature of the room will rise by one to two degrees during that time.

I previously had a 32" LCD in my workspace which was on eight hours a day and there was a significant increase in temperature. With a 42" LED, I can't tell if it's been on for five minutes or five hours.

For me, the energy efficiency of the LED, light weight, extremely low profile, non-glare screen and "footprint" outweigh a little deeper black.

Hammock Parties 10-09-2013 02:41 PM

I got this Samsung on clearance from best buy. It's amazing and the price was right. Got it for only $1200.

Go in and ask them if they have any TVs on clearance or open box and you can save a few bucks.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...&skuId=4854319

Aspengc8 10-09-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10065708)
LED LCD and be sure to get a wireless equipped model because firmware updates are easy (and often automatic).

I have a 65 inch Sharp Aquos that's 120 and have zero issues with any sports. As I've recommended so many times, purchase from Costco because they double the manufacture's warranty. My parents had a 55" LCD Samsung that failed just after the warranty expired and Costco replaced the TV with a better model.

+1.

have had my 65" aquos for 2 years now, very happy with it. 120hz is more than enough since all commercial footage is captured at 60hz. for example HDTV is 1080p @ 60hz (60 frames per second) and blue ray is 1920p @ 24hz. 120 will have you covered for a long time.

Silock 10-09-2013 04:56 PM

Maybe your plasma was broken. I've never had heat issues with one, even the old one.

SAUTO 10-09-2013 05:16 PM

I can feel heat off the screen when walking by it if its been on a while...

Oh and silock did you ever find door panels?
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave 10-09-2013 06:00 PM

Curtis Mathis 25" console floor model is the way to go.

007 10-09-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10066244)
Panasonic To Exit Plasma TV Market In March 2014
By Tyler Lee on 10/09/2013 Filed in

Earlier this year there were rumors that Panasonic would be pulling out from the plasma TV business and this was semi-confirmed when the Japanese company announced that the ZT60 would be their last plasma TV effort. Well it looks like it has been confirmed as Panasonic has since revealed that come March 2014, the Japanese company will be exiting the plasma TV market which is when the current fiscal year comes to an end. While it had been rumored to be happening, it seems that March 2014 is a little earlier than analysts had expected.

Pulling out of the plasma TV market is definitely the right call as it seems that interest in such televisions have been declining over the years. The demand has seen a drop of 21% in 2012, versus a 1% drop for LCD TVs, indicating that consumers are more interested in LCD compared to plasma. Not to mention Panasonic is currently bleeding billions of dollars, with the company announcing job cuts back in 2012 where it would see about 10,000 staff laid off. Hopefully this exit will allow Panasonic to focus on more current trends, but what do you guys think? Are you sad to see plasma TVs go?:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/10/pan...medium=twitter

The only thing I hate about my Panasonic plasma is the fact they don't do any firmware updates at all.

007 10-09-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10067889)
Maybe your plasma was broken. I've never had heat issues with one, even the old one.

yep, I have a 50" plasma and the heat isn't an issue at all.

Dr. Gigglepants 10-09-2013 09:14 PM

60 inch Vizio LED tv. I was at Wal Mart earlier and thought it looked pretty good for the price. My 50 inch Samsung DLP cost me $1800 in 2006. My how times have changed. Also the constant turning itself off is getting old at this point.

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E601i-A3.../dp/B009H8JOZS

4 out of 5 stars on Amazon

$898 at Wal Mart right now

This guy loved it...

http://hometheaterreview.com/vizio-e...hdtv-reviewed/

I can cash in some Southwest miles and get this for $550 out of my pocket...

What to do, what to do...I think my TV's turning itself off problem isn't going to go away.

Pants 10-09-2013 09:38 PM

My plasma TV definitely gets a little warm, but I don't think it's enough to raise the temperature in a room by even a tenth of a degree.

DaneMcCloud 10-09-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 10068686)
My plasma TV definitely gets a little warm, but I don't think it's enough to raise the temperature in a room by even a tenth of a degree.

There was definitely an issue with earlier plasma TV's in which they were very warm. People often referred to them as "radiators".

Plasma's are out of the question for me because my home has too many windows and I don't want to watch TV in a dungeon. LED LCD's are more than adequate for my viewing pleasure.

:D

Silock 10-09-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 10067941)
I can feel heat off the screen when walking by it if its been on a while...

Oh and silock did you ever find door panels?
Posted via Mobile Device

No but I may be getting rid of the old girl. The AC unit caught on fire today and melted the serpentine belt in half. Not sure if it did any other damage. Will find out tomorrow.

Mr. Laz 10-10-2013 11:31 AM

reading about quite a few HDMI problem with Vizio televisions?

do they have some kind of internal HDMI switch?

I find electronic HDMI switches to be remarkable unreliable.

DaneMcCloud 10-10-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10069801)
reading about quite a few HDMI problem with Vizio televisions?

do they have some kind of internal HDMI switch?

I find electronic HDMI switches to be remarkable unreliable.

All of mine have multiple ports. Do you know which model and year?