ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   derrick blaylock (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=121257)

neckdemon 08-10-2005 11:58 AM

derrick blaylock

was wondering what you guys thought of him. by his stats last year he seemed to do a pretty nice job while taking over for priest. he also seems to be really impressing the guys at jets TC this year. but since you guys got to see him him play i was wondering what your take on it was.

Frankie 08-10-2005 12:00 PM

I really liked him. It seemed every time he came in for Priest there was minimal, if any, reduction of production.

Rain Man 08-10-2005 12:01 PM

Derrick was respected here, and we didn't want to see him go. However, he was destined for third-string behind Priest and Larry Johnson, so no one blamed him for going.

When he had his opportunity to be a starter for a short period when Priest was hurt and Larry was in the doghouse, he had a great game his first time out, and then got shut down his second game (and maybe a third as well - I don't recall).

My take is that he's a great special teams guy and a good backup/spot starter. Could be more. I wasn't impressed with his hands, but he's fast and got a lot stronger after joining the NFL.

Mike in SW-MO 08-10-2005 12:01 PM

Good back. But not special.

We wound up 2 guys ahead of him that are both special. When it was time for his new contract, he was too expensive for third string.

You get the picture.

alpha_omega 08-10-2005 12:03 PM

Hated to lose him, and will wish him the best...except week 1

beer bacon 08-10-2005 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neckdemon
was wondering what you guys thought of him. by his stats last year he seemed to do a pretty nice job while taking over for priest. he also seems to be really impressing the guys at jets TC this year. but since you guys got to see him him play i was wondering what your take on it was.

I would say his only two problems that he might have is carrying a full time load if you ever need him to do that and scoring in the redzone. He should be a good back for you guys. He is a good pass blocker and receiver.

Rukdafaidas 08-10-2005 12:06 PM

He's a very good relief RB. Very effective catching the ball and has great speed. I don't think he has the body to take the punishment of an every down back, but the Jets aren't looking for that, yet.

Pitt Gorilla 08-10-2005 12:07 PM

I like Blaylock and he has good speed. However, he seemed to be very easy to bring down. He's more of a change of pace guy than a featured back, IMO.

jspchief 08-10-2005 12:07 PM

Good 2nd string RB. Has good speed, but lacks patience at times. I think his numbers are directly linked to the O-line he was playing behind, and doubt he'll ever be as productive as he was here.

You got a good player, but I don't think he'll be a viable permanent #1 if Martin goes down or retires.

Mecca 08-10-2005 02:39 PM

I got something to add for the Jets fan, I know you were spouting about your improve secondary and John Mcgraw.

John McGraw was traded today for a conditional draft pick to the Lions and Pete Hunter was released. What about that secondary now?

Dr. Johnny Fever 08-10-2005 02:47 PM

Derrick is a nice addition for you guys... especially since his paycheck hasn't caught up with his ability yet. You'll be pleased.

I hope he breaks out in week #2......

:D

Mr. Laz 08-10-2005 02:53 PM

good luck to derrick AFTER week 1

:fire:

Radar Chief 08-10-2005 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
Derrick was respected here, and we didn't want to see him go. However, he was destined for third-string behind Priest and Larry Johnson, so no one blamed him for going.

When he had his opportunity to be a starter for a short period when Priest was hurt and Larry was in the doghouse, he had a great game his first time out, and then got shut down his second game (and maybe a third as well - I don't recall).

My take is that he's a great special teams guy and a good backup/spot starter. Could be more. I wasn't impressed with his hands, but he's fast and got a lot stronger after joining the NFL.

That’s what I remember. When defenses started keying on him, he got shut down pretty easy.

morphius 08-10-2005 03:02 PM

I considered him a good relief guy, could step in and break one. Personally didn't really consider him a starter though, but he has some potential.

beer bacon 08-10-2005 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief
That’s what I remember. When defenses started keying on him, he got shut down pretty easy.

He ran for 186 yards against the 30th ranked run defense of New Orleans. The next week we played against the 6th ranked run defense of NE who he only earned 58 yards against. The week after that he only got 57 yards against the 3rd ranked run D of San Diego.

I am guessing it was a combination of the horrible run defense of New Orleans and it being his first start that allowed him to rush for so much.