ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Are you a Hipster? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265669)

Deberg_1990 10-25-2012 09:15 AM

Are you a Hipster?

First of all, what is a hipster? I keep seeing this term thrown around, but what is it exactly? Would you describe yourself or a friend as one?

What defines a hipster in your opinion?

bench_pioli 10-25-2012 09:15 AM

repost

DMAC 10-25-2012 09:17 AM

Hipsters try too hard. And they're snobs.

Rasputin 10-25-2012 09:28 AM

Back in the day Huey Lewis and the News told us it was hip to be square.

I don't know if that is a hipster though?

KC_Lee 10-25-2012 09:29 AM

If you can only enjoy things ironically you are a hipster and should stay 50 feet away from me.

kaplin42 10-25-2012 09:35 AM

Almost everyone in line in this commercial is one

http://www.youtube.com/user/samsungm...?v=ZKh68YfQYkE

Beverage of choice.

http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/...ngs/Bleach.png

Molitoth 10-25-2012 09:37 AM

I typically associate them with skinny jeans and unmatching outfits, maybe even some bright neon colors.

L.A. Chieffan 10-25-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9047968)
Back in the day Huey Lewis and the News told us it was hip to be square.

I don't know if that is a hipster though?

I think their undisputed masterpiece is Hip to be Square, a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

kaplin42 10-25-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 9048023)
I think their undisputed masterpiece is Hip to be Square, a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

Was waiting for this.

Such an awesome movie though, can't be mad at quotes from it.

L.A. Chieffan 10-25-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 9048045)
Was waiting for this.

Such an awesome movie though, can't be mad at quotes from it.

kaplin, Did you know that Ted Bundy's first dog, a collie, was named Lassie?

L.A. Chieffan 10-25-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 9048008)

Beverage of choice.

ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY BLEACHY!?

BWillie 10-25-2012 09:59 AM

Ppl that wear those black glasses and want to save the environment

loochy 10-25-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9048018)
I typically associate them with skinny jeans and unmatching outfits, maybe even some bright neon colors.

This.

Also, those big neon colored 80s sunglasses

and stupid converse all star shoes

and horn rimmed glasses

and hoodies

siberian khatru 10-25-2012 10:02 AM

They drink PBR because it's so ironic!

loochy 10-25-2012 10:02 AM

Also, hipsters think they know everything and are exceedingly politically liberal

KCUnited 10-25-2012 10:02 AM

Lol Huey, there were 100 guys doing it better than that sellout.

MIAdragon 10-25-2012 10:02 AM

LMFAO hell no/

BWillie 10-25-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9048107)
Lol Huey, there were 100 guys doing it better than that sellout.

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83,I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consimante professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour. In '87, Huey released Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

siberian khatru 10-25-2012 10:04 AM

I look like a nerd, but I'm really not. Get it? It's so cool. My conformity is actually non-conformity mocking your conformity.

Dr. Johnny Fever 10-25-2012 10:05 AM

I want a new drug. One that makes the Chiefs and Royals good.

loochy 10-25-2012 10:06 AM

http://i.qkme.me/3oik5f.jpg

Radar Chief 10-25-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9048097)
This.

Also, those big neon colored 80s sunglasses

and stupid converse all star shoes

and horn rimmed glasses

and hoodies

Hey now.

MIAdragon 10-25-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 9048125)
Hey now.

If you bought them new in 1970, you're fine. Carry on/

loochy 10-25-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 9048125)
Hey now.

Wear them if you like but I can't stand them. I think they look horrendous.

kaplin42 10-25-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 9048117)
Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83,I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consimante professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour. In '87, Huey released Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

BWillie meet LAChiefsfan and vice versa

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 9048023)

okoye35chiefs 10-25-2012 10:12 AM

Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses.

typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter.

okoye35chiefs 10-25-2012 10:13 AM

at least that is what the urban dictionary says it means...

BWillie 10-25-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 9048133)
BWillie meet LAChiefsfan and vice versa

My quote is longer and more artistic. I win. Does that make me a hipster?

htismaqe 10-25-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okoye35chiefs (Post 9048147)
Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses.

typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter.

I wear vintage and thrift store clothes, loose-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and have thick-rimmed glasses.

I'm in my LATE 30's, value independent thinking, counter-culture (when it comes to art, music, and movies), despise progressive politics, appreciate indie-rock, am creative AND intelligent, and like witty banter only if it's coming out of my mouth. I don't want to hear anyone else talk.

siberian khatru 10-25-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 9048166)
My quote is longer and more artistic. I win. Does that make me a hipster?

If you say it a little more smugly, yes.

htismaqe 10-25-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 9048092)
Ppl that wear those black glasses and want to save the environment

I wear black glasses while I cut down tress and dump used motor oil in the creek...

kaplin42 10-25-2012 10:18 AM

http://blogs.mcgill.ca/gradlife/file...2011-erkel.jpg

siberian khatru 10-25-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okoye35chiefs (Post 9048147)

I love the independent thinking. Yes, people who dress the same way and consume many of the same products based on how they are perceived, and who follow a certain political ideology, are most certainly independent thinkers.

okoye35chiefs 10-25-2012 10:19 AM

Hipster's can't be defined because then they'd fit in a category, and thus be too mainstream.

NewChief 10-25-2012 10:21 AM

Intellectually, I'm a hipster in that I keep abreast of current cultural movements with my tastes running toward the avante-garde in literature, art, music, food, and architecture.

Fashion-wise, I'm a 40 year old soccer dad.

loochy 10-25-2012 10:22 AM

Why is it that thinking politically liberal is always called "thinking independently?" It's not independent at all.

BWillie 10-25-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9048177)
I wear black glasses while I cut down tress and dump used motor oil in the creek...

You are okay in my book.

RealSNR 10-25-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 9048008)

Beverage of choice.

"Woah what did you just do?"

"Just gave him teh ghey AIDS"

"Just by touching dicks"

Radar Chief 10-25-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9048129)
Wear them if you like but I can't stand them. I think they look horrendous.

I’ll admit Mrs. Radar has me dressing more retro but in my defense the Chuck’s, cuffed Levi’s, wallet chain and work shirts fit my gear head personality.

BWillie 10-25-2012 10:23 AM

Hipsters like Run DMC and A Tribe Called Quest, yet have no idea who the fk they really are.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-25-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9048206)
"Woah what did you just do?"

"Just gave him teh ghey AIDS"

"Just by touching dicks"

ROFL
ROFL
ROFL

Canofbier 10-25-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okoye35chiefs (Post 9048152)
at least that is what the urban dictionary says it means...

You beat me to it, but for the benefit of everyone here, I'll post the entire insufferable entry. This is how hipsters see themselves, and why they are hated by almost everyone who isn't one.

Quote:

Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter. The greatest concentrations of hipsters can be found living in the Williamsburg, Wicker Park, and Mission District neighborhoods of major cosmopolitan centers such as New York, Chicago, and San Francisco respectively. Although "hipsterism" is really a state of mind,it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses. Both hipster men and women sport similar androgynous hair styles that include combinations of messy shag cuts and asymmetric side-swept bangs. Such styles are often associated with the work of creative stylists at urban salons, and are usually too "edgy" for the culturally-sheltered mainstream consumer. The "effortless cool" urban bohemian look of a hipster is exemplified in Urban Outfitters and American Apparel ads which cater towards the hipster demographic. Despite misconceptions based on their aesthetic tastes, hipsters tend to be well educated and often have liberal arts degrees, or degrees in maths and sciences, which also require certain creative analytical thinking abilities. Consequently many hipsters tend to have jobs in the music, art, and fashion industries. It is a myth that most hipsters are unemployed and live off of their parent's trust funds.

Hipsters shun mainstream societal conventions that apply to dating preferences and traditional "rules" of physical attraction. It is part of the hipster central dogma not to be influenced by mainsream advertising and media, which tends to only promote ethnocentric ideals of beauty. The concepts of androgyny and feminism have influenced hipster culture, where hipster men are often as thin as the women they date. The muscular and athletic all-American male ideal is not seen as attractive by confident and culturally-empowered hipster women who instead view them as symbols of male oppression, sexism, and misogyny. Likewise, culturally-vapid sorority-type girls with fake blond hair, overly tanned skin, and "Britney Spears tube-tops" are not seen as attractive by cultured hipster males who instead see them as symbols of female insecurity, low self-esteem, and lack of cultural intelligence and independent thinking. Hipsters are also very racially open-minded, and the greatest number of interracial couples in any urban environment are typically found within the hipster subculture.

Although hipsters are technically conformists within their own subculture, in comparison to the much larger mainstream mass, they are pioneers and leaders of the latest cultural trends and ideals. For example, the surge of jeans made to look old and worn (i.e. "distressed"), that have become prevalent at stores such as The Gap, American Eagle, Abercrombie and Fitch, and Hollister, were originally paraded by hipsters who shopped in thrift stores years before such clothing items were mass produced and sold to the mainstream consumer. The true irony here is that many of the detractors of hipster culture are in fact unknowingly following a path that hipsters have carved out years before them. This phenomena also applies to music as well, as many bands have become successful and known to mainstream audiences only because hipsters first found and listened to them as early-adopters of new culture. Once certain concepts of fashion and music have reached mainstream audiences, hipsters move on to something new and improved.

Because of the rise of various online photo-blog and social networking sites, insights into urban hipster culture is reaching sheltered suburban audiences at an exponential rate. Cultural "norms" have been deconstructed by hipster culture as a whole. Hipsterism is often dismissed as just an image thing by some, but the culture as a whole is effecting changes in society, leading to feelings of insecurity and resentment in people who are no longer a part of the cultural ruling class. For example, a lot of anti-hipster sentiment evidently comes from culturally-clueless suburban frat boy types who feel that the more sensitive, intelligent, and culturally aware hipster ideal threatens their insecure sense of masculinity. Anti-hipster sentiment often comes from people who simply can't keep up with social change and are envious of those who can.

A conversation outside a hipster bar in downtown NYC:

Frat Boy #1: Dude, are you having any luck picking up chicks in there?

Frat Boy #2: Man...I haven't experienced anything like this before. These chicks are totally rejecting me and going for all these hipster guys in tight pants and shaggy hair instead.

Frat Boy #1: Maybe we should head back up to that bar in Murry Hill where you hooked up with that drunk b*tch from Alpha Sigma Phi last week?

Frat Boy #2: Yeah...I don't think we have what it takes to compete with these guys in here. These hipster chicks won't even give us the time of the day!

MIAdragon 10-25-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 9048207)
I’ll admit Mrs. Radar has me dressing more retro but in my defense the Chuck’s, cuffed Levi’s, wallet chain and work shirts fit my gear head personality.

You carry a switchblade too?

loochy 10-25-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 9048207)

Throw on some big black boots

Pushead2 10-25-2012 10:26 AM

I have hipster-ish clothes and hang out at hipster bars in Williamsburg but I don't consider myself a hipster. I enjoy a good shave, haircut and smelling acceptable to society.

RealSNR 10-25-2012 10:27 AM

Hipsters reject bald guys with goatees.

They are none of your concern.

BWillie 10-25-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pushead2 (Post 9048225)
I have hipster-ish clothes and hang out at hipster bars in Williamsburg but I don't consider myself a hipster. I enjoy a good shave, haircut and smelling acceptable to society.

Of course you don't consider yourself a hipster, that would defeat being a hipster in the first place.

okoye35chiefs 10-25-2012 10:28 AM

A hipster is someone who is smart enough to talk about philosophy, music, politics, art, etc. with you all day long, but not smart enough to see how big of a tool s/he is.

The only sure fire way to tell if someone you're talking to is, in fact, a hipster is to ask them "are you a hipster?". If they respond no, and turn their casette player back on, you can be sure you're dealing with a hipster.

Person 1: I met this really smart girl with a goofy haircut, but I think she has asperger's.

Person 2: She's probably just a hipster.

Radar Chief 10-25-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 9048215)
You carry a switchblade too?

A switchblade comb for my buzz cut.

Radar Chief 10-25-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9048219)
Throw on some big black boots

When we get snow on the ground I will.

kaplin42 10-25-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canofbier (Post 9048213)
You beat me to it, but for the benefit of everyone here, I'll post the entire insufferable entry. This is how hipsters see themselves, and why they are hated by almost everyone who isn't one.

Spoiler tags on the giant wall of text please.

KCUnited 10-25-2012 10:30 AM

PBR Tallboys - $6

blaise 10-25-2012 10:31 AM

I think saying you're a hipster means you're no longer hipster. A Hipster would have you believe he developed his look and style in vacuum.

kaplin42 10-25-2012 10:32 AM

As much as I dislike hipsters, I must admit, their queen is pretty nice

http://soapombri.files.wordpress.com...er-in-hair.jpg

BWillie 10-25-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9048231)
Hipsters reject bald guys with goatees.

They are none of your concern.

I think that is just women below 35.

DaKCMan AP 10-25-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9047914)
First of all, what is a hipster? I keep seeing this term thrown around, but what is it exactly? Would you describe yourself or a friend as one?

What defines a hipster in your opinion?

Ask Zach.

siberian khatru 10-25-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okoye35chiefs (Post 9048235)
A hipster is someone who is smart enough to talk about philosophy, music, politics, art, etc. with you all day long, but not smart enough to see how big of a tool s/he is.

The only sure fire way to tell if someone you're talking to is, in fact, a hipster is to ask them "are you a hipster?". If they respond no, and turn their casette player back on, you can be sure you're dealing with a hipster.

Person 1: I met this really smart girl with a goofy haircut, but I think she has asperger's.

Person 2: She's probably just a hipster.

ROFL

BWillie 10-25-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9048255)
Ask Zach.

Zing

ZepSinger 10-25-2012 10:37 AM

"For example, the surge of jeans made to look old and worn (i.e. "distressed"), that have become prevalent at stores such as The Gap, American Eagle, Abercrombie and Fitch, and Hollister, were originally paraded by hipsters who shopped in thrift stores years before such clothing items were mass produced and sold to the mainstream consumer."

Oh yeah, hipsters are sooo original.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dw7Gko4xnK...collection.jpg

wilas101 10-25-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Likewise, culturally-vapid sorority-type girls with fake blond hair, overly tanned skin, and "Britney Spears tube-tops" are not seen as attractive by cultured hipster males who instead see them as symbols of female insecurity, low self-esteem, and lack of cultural intelligence and independent thinking.

Guess I'm no hipster. I like blond, tanned, mostly naked dumb women with self-esteem issues.

blaise 10-25-2012 11:21 AM

Hipsters think those girls are attractive. If they say they don't it just means they're too scared to talk to one.

PhillyChiefFan 10-25-2012 11:23 AM

Listen for key phrases such as:

"I had [insert band name here]'s LP on vinyl, long before they sold out and went mainstream."

and

"I don't want to conform to society, so I don't wear shoes...ever."

Bump 10-25-2012 11:24 AM

I don't care for hipsters much. They have this attitude about them that makes me not want to punch them, but a good slap in the face would work.

MOhillbilly 10-25-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepSinger (Post 9048267)
"For example, the surge of jeans made to look old and worn (i.e. "distressed"), that have become prevalent at stores such as The Gap, American Eagle, Abercrombie and Fitch, and Hollister, were originally paraded by hipsters who shopped in thrift stores years before such clothing items were mass produced and sold to the mainstream consumer."

Oh yeah, hipsters are sooo original.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dw7Gko4xnK...collection.jpg

Danes favorite band.

loochy 10-25-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 9048418)
Danes favorite band.

I bet MO is a hipster. LMAO

loochy 10-25-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9048415)
I don't care for hipsters much. They have this attitude about them that makes me not want to punch them, but a good slap in the face would work.

I kinda expected that you'd be one because of your obsession with marijuana and your anti-establishmentness

Bump 10-25-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9048424)
I kinda expected that you'd be one because of your obsession with marijuana and your anti-establishmentness

heh, I'm a clean cut, working man kind of guy. No time for hipsters. Plus they were everywhere in Lawrence, KS and annoying as ****.

Woodchuck 10-25-2012 12:11 PM

Wasn't it originally derived from Jack Kerouac's book On The Road? I think they might be making a movie about it. It's an old book from the 50's or 60's. It's about Beatniks and Hipsters if I remember right. They called joints "bombers" and had poetry readings. They were supposed to be like revolutionary thinkers and shit.

ChiefMojo 10-25-2012 12:12 PM

I lived in Lawrence for five years and left due to hipsters!!! Just made me wanted to smash my balls with a sledge hammer being around them!

ZepSinger 10-25-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9048465)
heh, I'm a clean cut, working man kind of guy. No time for hipsters. Plus they were everywhere in Lawrence, KS and annoying as ****.

Driving down Mass street in Lawrence = Hipsters on Parade.

NewChief 10-25-2012 12:54 PM

Hipster bashing is so behind the times.

Graystoke 10-25-2012 12:57 PM

I am not a Hipster...but I think my Son is.

Hammock Parties 10-25-2012 12:58 PM

If you wear skinny jeans, start sucking dick.

Crush 10-25-2012 01:00 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WBgJ64uZLaM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

siberian khatru 10-25-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 9048712)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WBgJ64uZLaM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"If you want to look like you live in the '80s so badly, get rid of your $400 smartphone and get AIDS."

ROFLROFLROFL

Also, there are black hipsters?

loochy 10-25-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9048929)
Also, there are black hipsters?

Setsuna

siberian khatru 10-25-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9048935)
Setsuna

ROFL

Probably.

loochy 10-25-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9048938)
ROFL

Probably.

No seriously...i envision him wearing horn rimmed thick black glasses with no lenses, old thin too small t shirts, skinny jeans, and 80s looking nike high tops.

Titty Meat 10-25-2012 02:12 PM

If you want to see hipsters just go to Westport.

Radar Chief 10-25-2012 02:16 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GlkoQ4bUE5k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>