ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals ***OFFICIAL*** 2013 STL Cardinals Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269316)

BigRedChief 06-06-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 9733425)
No, not really. Marp (Carpenter) has done great at 2nd, but in the long run, it would be beneficial to have both of them. It's possible Wong could play SS instead of Kozma. Ryan Jackson needs to be given a real shot.

Okay, so who are you going to trade?

Mi_chief_fan 06-06-2013 03:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 9732109)
Heh. Minor oversight.

We haven't had on since I was old enough to start following in '96.

Maybe you should start following this guy:

Rams Fan 06-06-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9733494)

Lemmerman, but I don't know how much value he has(not as high as Wong's).

Mi_chief_fan 06-06-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9733494)

I've actually seen the idea of trading Freese in recent weeks; not just because of Marp, but Wisdom & Tilson as well.

DJ's left nut 06-06-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mi_chief_fan (Post 9733543)
I've actually seen the idea of trading Freese in recent weeks; not just because of Marp, but Wisdom & Tilson as well.

Tilson plays OF, does he not? And Wisdom, despite his power, is struggling to hit .200 and is a long ways off. Kelly is in the same boat; we have a long time before we know if he'll play at this level.

We need Freese for at least the next 2 seasons; moving him to make room for Wong when Wong will almost certainly not be a better player is just bizarre.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-06-2013 03:56 PM

I wonder what you've have to give up to the Jays to get Brett Cecil. Wong+what?

They have a huge hole at 2B and Cecil flopped as a starter, but has been a dominant reliever for them.

DJ's left nut 06-06-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9733549)
I wonder what you've have to give up to the Jays to get Brett Cecil. Wong+what?

They have a huge hole at 2B and Cecil flopped as a starter, but has been a dominant reliever for them.

He's been an awful pitcher for 450 innings in his major league career.

He's been a good one for the last 30.

Scrabble had a pretty similar profile right before he fell apart. I wouldn't give up a likely starting 2b for him and I damn sure wouldn't let them talk me into any "+"...

He's just a lefthanded reliever. Choate's actually done a credible job and with Gast, Siegrist and Lyons doing well and not having been tested in the LHRP role, I'm not sure why we'd be eager to give up a decent asset for him.

BigRedChief 06-06-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 9733527)
Lemmerman, but I don't know how much value he has(not as high as Wong's).

Lemmerman? Just who do you think you can get at the trade deadline for him?

Rams Fan 06-06-2013 04:10 PM

Oliver Perez. Discuss.

Rams Fan 06-06-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9733595)
Lemmerman? Just who do you think you can get at the trade deadline for him?

No idea. Think low level LOOGY.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-06-2013 04:15 PM

St. Louis radio intimated that the organization believes there is almost no chance that Gast is used as a LHRP due to a lack of a breaking ball that's considered an out pitch, whereas Lyons is thought of as destined for that role because he has two breaking pitches that profile as put away offerings.

The caveat on Cecil is a lack of sample size as a reliever, about 45 IP. But if you actually look at the comps as relievers, he strikes out far more batters while walking far less than Rzepczynski. In fact, it's not particularly close.

The obvious concern is whether or not that will hold up, but his peripherals suggest that he isn't merely getting by on luck at this point, although he's definitely been fortunate.

Pepe Silvia 06-06-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9733492)
He taught me not to view others based on the color of their skin. No shit. Different times. I didn't see a black person for the first time till I was 5.

I was a pitcher in little league. All my buddies had their favorite pitchers. Mine was Bob Gibson. My buddies gave me all kinds of shit because he was black. I told them that I liked him not only because he was good, but the way he competed with passion. Why do I care that he was black?

It doesn't matter. I started watching Cardinals baseball in the late 80's so obviously Ozzie Smith was one of my childhood favs but another was Willie McGee. He was a true Cardinal, I didn't judge by their color but by their play.

DJ's left nut 06-06-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9733609)
St. Louis radio intimated that the organization believes there is almost no chance that Gast is used as a LHRP due to a lack of a breaking ball that's considered an out pitch, whereas Lyons is thought of as destined for that role because he has two breaking pitches that profile as put away offerings.

The caveat on Cecil is a lack of sample size as a reliever, about 45 IP. But if you actually look at the comps as relievers, he strikes out far more batters while walking far less than Rzepczynski. In fact, it's not particularly close.

The obvious concern is whether or not that will hold up, but his peripherals suggest that he isn't merely getting by on luck at this point, although he's definitely been fortunate.

If Wong ends up an above average defensive 2b with an .800 OPS, his value smokes Brett Cecil, especially since Cecil will only come with 3 years of team control (and be arb eligible for all of them).

If we're looking at relievers, I'd deal Wong for a wipeout RHRP with 3+ years of remaining service time that we could use as a closer while waiting to see which of the young arms can't transition to the starting rotation and/or waiting for Swagerty to make it back. The Royals likely wouldn't give up Kelvin Herrera for him (and probably wouldn't give up Holland either), but for 6 years of a guy that's a likely 2-3 WAR player, that's the kind of return I'm going to want.

6 years of Wong is worth quite a bit.

DJ's left nut 06-06-2013 04:25 PM

On a side note - Matt Carpenter is already at 3 WAR on the year. That's just freakin' incredible.

The Royals take high first round picks like Hosmer/Moustakas and turn them into below replacement level players while the Cardinals just got 2 months worth of legitimate MVP caliber play from a 13th round pick and have an 8th rounder batting cleanup for a top 10 offense.

BigRedChief 06-06-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9733628)
On a side note - Matt Carpenter is already at 3 WAR on the year. That's just freakin' incredible.

Who saw that coming? He has really turned into a real find.:thumb: