ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Need advice on cutting cable cost. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271843)

NewChief 02-02-2014 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10408141)
How big of a pain is initial setup and ongoing glitch troubleshooting of G-box? Thinking about pulling the trigger shortly.

It's not an appleTV, that's for sure. I mean there is a wide spectrum of tolerance for troubleshooting. It's definitely not plug and play.

aturnis 02-02-2014 05:16 PM

I'd the Apple tv as capable?

NewChief 02-02-2014 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10408266)

No. Legal, pay services only with it (Netflix, etc..).

aturnis 02-02-2014 05:58 PM

Thanks.

ragedogg69 02-03-2014 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 10408266)

A Roku box is cheaper than an apple tv and with all the private channels you can find, it would have similar content to an XBMC box. Still, nothing beats the sportsdevil, 1channel, Icefilms combo.

aturnis 02-03-2014 06:56 AM

Crap, this is a stupid question, but I assume I'll need a box for each tv?

Baby Lee 02-03-2014 03:26 PM

Does anyone else use JRiver?

Love it.

Halfcan 02-03-2014 04:30 PM

I havn't had cable for 20 years. Time warner screwed me over and that was that.

I get all the air channels for free. Any shows I like, I can catch up on for free at the library.

I have probably saved 100 a month for close the 20 years and havnt missed it all.

NewChief 02-04-2014 10:33 PM

Fingers crossed, but I completely wiped xbmc and reinstalled frodo apk downloaded onto an SD card, and everything is running much much better now.

sfchief 02-06-2014 03:14 PM

Need some advice on this. I have haven't had cable for 2yrs now, we use netflix by Mail and OTA for tv. I made a fractional antenna array in the attic and get great reception from it.
I would like to use it for a dvr and to make use of xbmc for viewing options.

I already built a nas drive to store/share media, so here is my proposed build
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Bryansanders74/saved/3Fab

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Combo or $69.99
CPU AMD A6-6400K 3.9GHz Dual-Core Combo or $69.99
Memory Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 $54.29
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" SSD $89.99
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Case Silverstone ML04B HTPC $74.99
Optical Drive Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer Combo or $59.98
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

I need a little advise on a tv tuner we have 2 TVs one upstairs one down that would share the antenna.
Great info in this thread!
Thanks in advance

ragedogg69 02-06-2014 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfchief (Post 10417644)
I need a little advise on a tv tuner we have 2 TVs one upstairs one down that would share the antenna.
Great info in this thread!
Thanks in advance

Do you have ethernet to those TVs? a silicondust tuner would work great for that. some cheapo xbmc boxes on it as your front ends and this new computer acting as the backend.

NewChief 02-06-2014 05:23 PM

I had cooled on XBMC, because it always seemed like I was having problems with it.

The problem was a shitty version of XBMC I'd installed that was loaded with all kinds of bloat. I went straight to the source and did a clean install. I went on a movie binge yesterday and into last night without a single crash and zero buffering issues once I found a good stream for them.

Watched:
Inside Llewyn Davis
Dallas Buyer's Club
Wolf of Wall Street
Ender's Game

First three were excellent, and I was ambivalent about Ender's Game.

NewChief 02-06-2014 05:43 PM

Okay, here's another issue:

The audio jack in the Gbox is labeled SPDIF but it looks like a regular AV jack. To make matters worse, I have a really old amp that only takes RCA inputs. I don't think it will work if I do just an AV to RCA (I've tried this with an AV to a red/white/yellow RCA cord, and it produces audio fuzz over the speakers and no sound, which might be a result of the yellow video cord in there and not being connected to anything, don't know).

So I'm trying to figure out the easiest/cheapest way to get my GBOX hooked to my crappy home stereo. Do I need to go AV->SPDIF->converter->RCA?

Should I just go buy a new home stereo?:P

007 02-06-2014 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10417895)
I had cooled on XBMC, because it always seemed like I was having problems with it.

The problem was a shitty version of XBMC I'd installed that was loaded with all kinds of bloat. I went straight to the source and did a clean install. I went on a movie binge yesterday and into last night without a single crash and zero buffering issues once I found a good stream for them.

Watched:
Inside Llewyn Davis
Dallas Buyer's Club
Wolf of Wall Street
Ender's Game

First three were excellent, and I was ambivalent about Ender's Game.

I guess I am not seeing what the bloat is on my gbox. I'm all for installing directly from xbmc but what real difference is there between the gbox xbmc and normal xbmc?

NewChief 02-06-2014 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10418013)
I guess I am not seeing what the bloat is on my gbox. I'm all for installing directly from xbmc but what real difference is there between the gbox xbmc and normal xbmc?

I didn't have the initial gbox install. I ran into a problem due to the Aeon Nox skin and had to do a firmware update. I was having problems with my source and ended up using some other place's update and install (which was an old install with a ton of extra stuff added to it).