ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Need advice on cutting cable cost. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271843)

Deberg_1990 04-08-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 9567764)
You could just wait for the season to finish and then rent the DVD of the shows you want to watch on HBO/Showtime through netflix or the like. Then you are not having to pay premium channels.

Actually HBO and Showtime dont make their stuff available on Netflix. HBO has their own subscription service HBOGo, not sure about Showtime?

The Franchise 04-08-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 9567764)
You could just wait for the season to finish and then rent the DVD of the shows you want to watch on HBO/Showtime through netflix or the like. Then you are not having to pay premium channels.

It sucks because you can't follow along with everyone else....but this is what I do.

Skyy God 04-08-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 9564010)
If you have any cool friends that have HBO maybe offer them some sort of monthly payment to use their HBOGO? Or I will give you an invite to a really good torrent site, and you can ditch HBO or really all cable.

If you don't mind, I'd take a invite by PM.

morphius 04-08-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9567770)
Actually HBO and Showtime dont make their stuff available on Netflix. HBO has their own subscription service HBOGo, not sure about Showtime?

I wasn't talking about streaming.

Gravedigger 11-13-2013 11:25 PM

Yeah ATT Uverse has always been $135 for the past year and a half. Today I got my bill, $180. I'm not paying $180 for something I'm not sure is worth the $135 I used to pay. I'm going to cut the cord, with XBox One coming out next week I'm going to control most of my Netflix and Hulu through that, I don't really watch TV anymore, it's all my fiancee and she just watches like six or seven shows. We don't use HBO except for GoT, Girls, and True Blood so I'm probably just going to snag my parents info and use it to access HBO Go when it comes available on XB1. If anyone has any advice it would be helpful. I'm going to get a digital antenna so any recommendations would be nice as well.

patteeu 11-14-2013 10:47 AM

Have Fish hook you up. He's the media wizard with the best magic.

SuperChief 11-14-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 10186465)
Have Fish hook you up. He's the media wizard with the best magic.

I can attest to this. He helped me out big time with configuring my XBMC (which is incredible, by the way).

Fire Me Boy! 11-14-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9564128)
JFC I can get a couple premiums channels and even be waaaay lower during Sunday Ticket season on DTV.

Yeah, I've got the Ultimate lineup with DTV, Sunday Ticket, and HBO/Showtime for $160. And just this morning after discounts and getting the rest of ST waived I'm down <$100.

mikeyis4dcats. 11-14-2013 02:15 PM

a little late for the OP, but just call them up and tell them you are switching to a competitor or satellite. I got Cox to cut my bill about $60/mo by calling to cancel under the auspices of switching to FIOS. Had no intention to switch at all.

Fish 11-14-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 10186643)
I can attest to this. He helped me out big time with configuring my XBMC (which is incredible, by the way).

:thumb:

Never heard how it worked out. You all up in the Furk now or what?

SuperChief 11-14-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 10187201)
:thumb:

Never heard how it worked out. You all up in the Furk now or what?

Like you, I use a combination of Furk and others (1Channel, Icefilms, etc). Get pretty much everything/anything I could ever need. What kind of options do you use/know about for sports? Hell, I might even be willing to pay for decent sports streaming.

Fish 11-14-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 10187237)
Like you, I use a combination of Furk and others (1Channel, Icefilms, etc). Get pretty much everything/anything I could ever need. What kind of options do you use/know about for sports? Hell, I might even be willing to pay for decent sports streaming.

If you haven't tried Sportsdevil, be sure and check that one out. I get most of my sports streams through Sportsdevil. Quality varies though. Usually good quality for NFL, NHL. Especially popular games.

There's pay options available. Here's some of the ones I know of:
Kickoff Streams - Favorite. Great for NFL. $13/mth. HD. http://kickoffstreams.com/ Plugin: http://superrepo.org/plugin.video.kickoff/

Offsidestreams - Lots of Euro action with plenty of US stuff. All sports. More expensive than Kickoff, but more sports available.

I use MLB.tv on AppleTV for MLB. But if you're in KC, you have to spoof your IP to get around blackouts.

The Franchise 11-14-2013 03:09 PM

What kind of up front costs did you guys have when you started?

Fish 11-14-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10187307)
What kind of up front costs did you guys have when you started?

For me, I spent $60 on my AppleTV 2. That's it. But I now pay for a couple other online services that I incorporate with my setup, just because it's so cheap and easy and awesome. Mainly a subscription to the website Furk.net($7/mth). It's a torrent aggregator. Meaning I can type in Pacific Rim, and it will search all torrent sites for the movie, and download the movie from torrent sites to Furk's server. Then I can stream the movie directly from Furk's server, or download it as a direct download. Their servers are so fast that it will download at whatever your ISP speed is. And most content is already on their server, because if any Furk member searches for the content, you'll have access to it as well. So anything you can find on any torrent search from any torrent site, you can directly stream to your media box running XBMC.

But I'm actually looking to upgrade soon. Planning on getting a new Android box, which is ~$100. Most boxes built to run XBMC can also natively run Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Crackle, etc. There's a plugin for just about everything you want to consume, mediawise.

The Franchise 11-14-2013 03:18 PM

Does the AppleTV2 have a hard drive or do you have an external one hooked up to it?