ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Rocketman (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=323218)

DaFace 06-01-2019 02:36 PM

Rocketman

Any Elton John fans around here? Just got back from seeing Rocketman, and it's a solid watch. It's a little less plot-driven than Bohemian Rhapsody (which basically made a bunch of shit up to make the story compelling), but it's a nice excuse to learn a bit about Elton's life and enjoy the music. Taron Egerton actually does a really nice job from end to end. (He sings all of the songs and does them justice.)

Anyway, it's worth the ticket if you're a fan. Probably not if you aren't.

Deberg_1990 06-01-2019 03:22 PM

Seeing it tonight. Looks good

vailpass 06-01-2019 03:55 PM

Does it focus on the music or do they play up his proclivity to take it up the yellow brick road?

lewdog 06-01-2019 04:13 PM

How much buttsex is in it?

O.city 06-01-2019 04:18 PM

Gonna check it out.

My mom is a big Elton fan so I was raised on his music

cooper barrett 06-01-2019 05:01 PM

I always liked Elton John when he was in concert with other people. (Billy Joel) Seemed to bring out his best. Would have loved to see him and Clapton live.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wwm94b5QUA0?controls=0&amp;start=418" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why Not? 06-01-2019 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 14291150)

Certainly not enough to quench your unending thirst for the subject.

cooper barrett 06-01-2019 06:19 PM

How's your mom on buttsex? for a friend:D:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14291155)
Gonna check it out.

My mom is a big Elton fan so I was raised on his music

EPodolak 06-01-2019 06:56 PM

Elton's hymnal piano melodies and Taupin's lyrics made some of the greatest songs ever IMO. The movie was good enough because there is plenty of the music.

DaFace 06-01-2019 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 14291150)

There is a sex scene, so if you're uncomfortable with dudes making out, it might bother you. There's no nudity, though, and it pans away as it's getting to the point that you really don't want to see (as a straight dude).

DaFace 06-01-2019 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 14291138)
Does it focus on the music or do they play up his proclivity to take it up the yellow brick road?

His sexuality is a part of the story, but it's much more about his struggles to find love in general rather than the sexual aspect of it. It's framed as Elton looking back on his life while in rehab, so lots of focus on his struggles with his family, friends, and fame that led to a lot of alcohol and drug abuse.

It's presented in kind of a surreal style, so it's a combination of concert reenactments and "musical" style people randomly breaking into his songs. The music is very, very present throughout.

Buehler445 06-01-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14291424)
His sexuality is a part of the story, but it's much more about his struggles to find love in general rather than the sexual aspect of it. It's framed as Elton looking back on his life while in rehab, so lots of focus on his struggles with his family, friends, and fame that led to a lot of alcohol and drug abuse.

It's presented in kind of a surreal style, so it's a combination of concert reenactments and "musical" style people randomly breaking into his songs. The music is very, very present throughout.

That sounds way better than what I was expecting.

DaFace 06-01-2019 08:47 PM

Oh, interesting tidbit about the gay sex scene. It's with Robb Stark. :)

vailpass 06-01-2019 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 14291424)

Thanks. Glad to hear his music is the focus. Sounds like a good HBO watch.

Deberg_1990 06-02-2019 01:37 PM

I liked it a lot. The musical sequences were fantastic!

Definitely more of a fantasy/musical than an actual real life historical record. I don’t even think the timeline was all that accurate.

Entertaining movie for sure though.