ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Jeffery Simmons DL Mississippi State (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=321291)

Coogs 02-13-2019 06:39 AM

Jeffery Simmons DL Mississippi State

#12 overall by Kiper. Projected to go #7 to the Jags.

Tore his ACL this weekend.

Do you take a chance on a guy who has top "10" talent who may not play in his first year?

htismaqe 02-13-2019 09:26 AM

Nope. Of all the years, this is the one where we need immediate contributions. They are inches away from being a Super Bowl team.

DJ's left nut 02-13-2019 10:17 AM

And c'mon - we released Kareem Hunt because he threw a friend of his into a woman and halfheartedly swung his foot at her.

Simmons had a girl on the ground beneath him and took 3 full-scale punches at her head.

Dude's not even on our draft board. If he's there in the 3rd we wouldn't take him. Personally, I'd use a late 2 on him and hope he'd be ready for a late-season contribution (though admittedly unlikely). But you should probably just dispense with the thought - we're not gonna cut Hunt and then immediately turn around and grab this guy.

Chargem 02-13-2019 03:27 PM

If he's there at the back of the 2nd I'd take him. If he's there at the end of the 3rd you absolutely have to.

I can sort of see the Chiefs going for it, despite the recent Kareem Hunt situation. They can hold Tyreek up as the model "with the right assurances before the draft and the right support as a Chief, Tyreek has been a model human so we are comfortable taking someone who has made a mistake in the past" etc.

BryanBusby 02-13-2019 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14104308)
Nope. Of all the years, this is the one where we need immediate contributions. They are inches away from being a Super Bowl team.

Yep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14104361)
And c'mon - we released Kareem Hunt because he threw a friend of his into a woman and halfheartedly swung his foot at her.

Simmons had a girl on the ground beneath him and took 3 full-scale punches at her head.

Dude's not even on our draft board. If he's there in the 3rd we wouldn't take him. Personally, I'd use a late 2 on him and hope he'd be ready for a late-season contribution (though admittedly unlikely). But you should probably just dispense with the thought - we're not gonna cut Hunt and then immediately turn around and grab this guy.

Double yep.

Tribal Warfare 02-14-2019 04:02 AM

Simmons was defending his sister, and the woman was making inflammatory remarks about his sister's deceased son.

Yep, unjustified

MTG#10 02-14-2019 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 14105759)
Simmons was defending his sister, and the woman was making inflammatory remarks about his sister's deceased son.

Yep, unjustified

Glad you agree.

A man should never put his hands on a woman over "remarks". Its called being an adult.

staylor26 02-14-2019 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTG#10 (Post 14105835)
Glad you agree.

A man should never put his hands on a woman over "remarks". Its called being an adult.

While I agree it’s still not an excuse it’s a little more understandable if it were really about his sisters deceased son.

That’s a line that if anybody crosses, they should expect a violent reaction. Would you consider her alleged actions being an adult?

DJ's left nut 02-14-2019 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chargem (Post 14105082)
If he's there at the back of the 2nd I'd take him. If he's there at the end of the 3rd you absolutely have to.

I can sort of see the Chiefs going for it, despite the recent Kareem Hunt situation. They can hold Tyreek up as the model "with the right assurances before the draft and the right support as a Chief, Tyreek has been a model human so we are comfortable taking someone who has made a mistake in the past" etc.

Tyreek would have never been a Chief if there was a video.

When the Chiefs were able to dodge the graphic nature of a large man hitting a woman, they took a shot. When they couldn't, they cut Kareem Hunt.

If there was no video on Simmons, maybe they would have gambled. But with a video - no way.

DJ's left nut 02-14-2019 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 14105759)

Yep, unjustified

A 300 lb man punched a woman on the ground 3 times when his sister pretty clearly had things under control.

It was absolutely unjustified. And that's even IF I'm willing to take him at face value. Truth be told - I'm not. Everyone always has a reason when they get caught and the more salacious you can make it, the better.

staylor26 02-14-2019 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14106009)
A 300 lb man punched a woman on the ground 3 times when his sister pretty clearly had things under control.

It was absolutely unjustified. And that's even IF I'm willing to take him at face value. Truth be told - I'm not. Everyone always has a reason when they get caught and the more salacious you can make it, the better.

So the sister and her were fighting and he jumped in?

DJ's left nut 02-14-2019 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14106011)
So the sister and her were fighting and he jumped in?

Hard to say, but that's how the video looked. His sister put her to the ground and when she was down there, he stood over hear, leaned down and punched her several times.

Watch the clip - his sister has 75-100 lbs on the girl. She's no wilting daisy. That girl no longer presents any threat to anyone and he just pummels her a few more times for shits and grins after she's already put her hands over her head.

He shouldn't have been allowed to play this season, IMO.

Tribal Warfare 02-14-2019 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14106009)

Dude, you know why he was still a top 15 pick?

He was vetted and kept clean.

the guy was an honor student as well

staylor26 02-14-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14106023)
Hard to say, but that's how the video looked. His sister put her to the ground and when she was down there, he stood over hear, leaned down and punched her several times.

Watch the clip - his sister has 75-100 lbs on the girl. She's no wilting daisy. That girl no longer presents any threat to anyone and he just pummels her a few more times for shits and grins after she's already put her hands over her head.

He shouldn't have been allowed to play this season, IMO.

Just watched it and it definitely appears that way.

If the girl really did say shit about her deceased son, she deserved the ass whooping from the sister, but he wasn’t even needed at all.

DJ's left nut 02-14-2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 14106044)
Dude, you know why he was still a top 15 pick?

He was vetted and kept clean.

the guy was an honor student as well

Dude, you know he stood over top of a girl and wailed on her ass while she was on the ground?

He's still a top 15 pick because Mississippi State landed a top 20 player for the first time in a long time and didn't want to throw him off the team. They should have. He wasn't 'vetted' - if the dude was as much as a 4 star instead of the best player in the state, they'd have launched his ass out of there.

They let him stay in the program because he was good - the end.

Tribal Warfare 02-14-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14106062)
Dude, you know he stood over top of a girl and wailed on her ass while she was on the ground?

He's still a top 15 pick because Mississippi State landed a top 20 player for the first time in a long time and didn't want to throw him off the team. They should have. He wasn't 'vetted' - if the dude was as much as a 4 star instead of the best player in the state, they'd have launched his ass out of there.

They let him stay in the program because he was good - the end.

As I stated if it was all bullshit, and his character was truly questionable, he'd be in the 5th round and down flyer in the NFL evaluation process.

T

O.city 02-14-2019 10:25 AM

So theoretically speaking, at what point in the draft would you be willing to say "**** it, take him"?

I don't think the Chiefs will take him all things considered, but if he were there in the 5th round, you'd have to have a discussion, right?

htismaqe 02-14-2019 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14106086)
So theoretically speaking, at what point in the draft would you be willing to say "**** it, take him"?

I don't think the Chiefs will take him all things considered, but if he were there in the 5th round, you'd have to have a discussion, right?

He might not be able to play at all until 2020. I'm not drafting him anywhere, at all.

O.city 02-14-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14106112)
He might not be able to play at all until 2020. I'm not drafting him anywhere, at all.

Sure, but if you can get him in the 5th round, you'd do it. I don't expect to get much out of a fifth rounder anyway so if you could roll the dice and redshirt him that would be pretty valuable.

The problem is do you want to have to deal with all the media shit for a fifth rounder. They did it for Tyreek, but as discussed this is a bit different.

htismaqe 02-14-2019 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14106120)
Sure, but if you can get him in the 5th round, you'd do it. I don't expect to get much out of a fifth rounder anyway so if you could roll the dice and redshirt him that would be pretty valuable.

The problem is do you want to have to deal with all the media shit for a fifth rounder. They did it for Tyreek, but as discussed this is a bit different.

Nope, I don't. I don't want to deal with the circus if he's not going to be a starter day 1. To deal with all the baggage, he needs to bring something significant to the team in 2019. He can't do that, so I don't draft him at all.

staylor26 02-14-2019 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14106161)
Nope, I don't. I don't want to deal with the circus if he's not going to be a starter day 1. To deal with all the baggage, he needs to bring something significant to the team in 2019. He can't do that, so I don't draft him at all.

Man, that’s some conviction.

No way I’m passing up on him in the 5th.

DJ's left nut 02-14-2019 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 14106085)
As I stated if it was all bullshit, and his character was truly questionable, he'd be in the 5th round and down flyer in the NFL evaluation process.

What do you think I'm calling 'bullshit'?

I don't care WHAT the woman said. Take it at face value if you want - still don't care. The dude stood over top of a woman who was ALREADY outgunned by his sister and proceeded to punch her in the head when she was literally face down with her hands over her head. She had given up and he threw 3-4 punches in there for good measure.

That IS bullshit.

His character is questionable - full stop. He punched a woman laying on the ground who wasn't fighting back. That's a questionable character any way you want to slice it.

And you're wrong regarding his draft statues - had MSU done with him what OSU did with Hill then his draft status would've plummeted. But had Hill stayed at OSU and played as well as Simmons did at MSU, he'd have been a high pick as well. Hill was rightfully held accountable (and to be fair, what he did was far worse), but Simmons should have been as well.

His draft status is because MSU didn't hold him accountable for his actions and performed well in the SEC. His performance and pedigree is why he's a 1st round pick but that wouldn't have mattered if MSU would've stepped up when they should have. I truly couldn't give one **** less about 'honor student' status for D1 athletes; that stuff is made up from whole cloth. As for the fact that he managed to go 3 years without beating another defenseless woman - WOOPITYDOO!!!

htismaqe 02-14-2019 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14106188)
Man, that’s some conviction.

No way I’m passing up on him in the 5th.

So you're willing to open the book on the Chiefs "hypocrisy" regarding Hunt, regarding Hill, regarding every situation they've had. All for a 5th round pick that might not even see the field for a year.

No. Freaking. Way.

staylor26 02-14-2019 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14106232)
So you're willing to open the book on the Chiefs "hypocrisy" regarding Hunt, regarding Hill, regarding every situation they've had. All for a 5th round pick that might not even see the field for a year.

No. Freaking. Way.

I highly doubt that it would be a topic in the national media to be honest. Plus, it’s not like Tyreek isn’t still on the team. If they were going to open the book they already would have.

Tribal Warfare 02-14-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14106196)
What do you think I'm calling 'bullshit'?

I don't care WHAT the woman said. Take it at face value if you want - still don't care. The dude stood over top of a woman who was ALREADY outgunned by his sister and proceeded to punch her in the head when she was literally face down with her hands over her head. She had given up and he threw 3-4 punches in there for good measure.

That IS bullshit.

His character is questionable - full stop. He punched a woman laying on the ground who wasn't fighting back. That's a questionable character any way you want to slice it.

And you're wrong regarding his draft statues - had MSU done with him what OSU did with Hill then his draft status would've plummeted. But had Hill stayed at OSU and played as well as Simmons did at MSU, he'd have been a high pick as well. Hill was rightfully held accountable (and to be fair, what he did was far worse), but Simmons should have been as well.

His draft status is because MSU didn't hold him accountable for his actions and performed well in the SEC. His performance and pedigree is why he's a 1st round pick but that wouldn't have mattered if MSU would've stepped up when they should have. I truly couldn't give one **** less about 'honor student' status for D1 athletes; that stuff is made up from whole cloth. As for the fact that he managed to go 3 years without beating another defenseless woman - WOOPITYDOO!!!

An 18 year old defending his sister, after a woman talked horribly about his sister's deceased child.

I forgive him on this one, he never had issue before. no drug infractions, or insubordination before this incident.

If he's truly habitual, he'd be a lower round pick prospect

He's an honor student, and has been on the straight and narrow ever since.

DJ's left nut 02-14-2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 14106254)
An 18 year old defending his sister, after a woman talked horribly about his sister's deceased child.

I forgive him on this one, he never had issue before. no drug infractions, or insubordination before this incident.

If he's truly habitual, he'd be a lower round pick prospect

He's an honor student, and has been on the straight and narrow ever since.

"Defending his sister" /= standing over and pummeling a woman after the fight is over.

That's just being a violent shithead.

Tribal Warfare 02-14-2019 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14106269)
"Defending his sister" /= standing over and pummeling a woman after the fight is over.

That's just being a violent shithead.

totally ignoring that his off-field conduct has been spotless afterwards.

htismaqe 02-14-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 14106292)
totally ignoring that his off-field conduct has been spotless afterwards.

He won't be able to play significant snaps in 2019. This team's best window is RIGHT NOW. Why bother?

Chargem 02-14-2019 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14106333)
He won't be able to play significant snaps in 2019. This team's best window is RIGHT NOW. Why bother?

Sort of depends what pick you have to spend on him and what the Chiefs can get done in free agency. To me, the window is open for years with Mahomes under center so you don't want to mortgage everything for this year, you want sustainability.

If he falls to the end of the 3rd not taking him is insane. If you don't have a gaping hole that you can't fill with FA, using a 2nd on him is reasonable imo.

DJ's left nut 02-14-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Anybody that isn't drafted in the first 3 rounds isn't likely to play significant snaps in '19 anyway. And if he's not playing and is just stuck on the IR, you'll have 6 minutes of rabble and then he'll be out of sight, out of mind.

I'm not opposed to spending a late 2nd on him (maybe; depends on the board), but I'd definitely use a 3rd.

I just think hand-waiving what he did as some youthful indiscretion is pretty ridiculous.

htismaqe 02-14-2019 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14106720)
Anybody that isn't drafted in the first 3 rounds isn't likely to play significant snaps in '19 anyway. And if he's not playing and is just stuck on the IR, you'll have 6 minutes of rabble and then he'll be out of sight, out of mind.

I'm not opposed to spending a late 2nd on him (maybe; depends on the board), but I'd definitely use a 3rd.

I just think hand-waiving what he did as some youthful indiscretion is pretty ridiculous.

Sorry but with as close as this team is, I'm not spending a pick on a guy I KNOW can't play. It's one thing to gamble on late round picks and them not playing. It's another thing altogether to spend draft capital on people that are already injured, especially when you're ready to win right now.

DJ's left nut 02-14-2019 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14106833)
Sorry but with as close as this team is, I'm not spending a pick on a guy I KNOW can't play. It's one thing to gamble on late round picks and them not playing. It's another thing altogether to spend draft capital on people that are already injured, especially when you're ready to win right now.

Do you know that, though?

6-7 months is probably the low side of the recovery on an ACL. Let's go 9 months on the high side. That makes him ready to play by November. And frankly, it makes him ready with some rust but also without some of the bangs/bumps that come with 8-10 weeks of NFL play. Even if you have some work-in time, you could realistically and easily have him ready to go at full tilt by December, no?

You don't even have to IR him to begin with; he'd be a PUP candidate for the first 6 weeks.

Yeah, this team is close. And because of that, you have to assume that we don't need an immediate boost to make the playoffs. What we need is a difference maker when we're in them.

Couldn't Simmons be that guy this year? If not, why not?

htismaqe 02-14-2019 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14106852)
Do you know that, though?

6-7 months is probably the low side of the recovery on an ACL. Let's go 9 months on the high side. That makes him ready to play by November. And frankly, it makes him ready with some rust but also without some of the bangs/bumps that come with 8-10 weeks of NFL play. Even if you have some work-in time, you could realistically and easily have him ready to go at full tilt by December, no?

You don't even have to IR him to begin with; he'd be a PUP candidate for the first 6 weeks.

Yeah, this team is close. And because of that, you have to assume that we don't need an immediate boost to make the playoffs. What we need is a difference maker when we're in them.

Couldn't Simmons be that guy this year? If not, why not?

With the way injuries have gone for this team, I'm just not doing it.

Dee Ford had a knee injury that kept him out of the combine and stuff. He ended up barely playing in his rookie season, despite being available for every game.

Tribal Warfare 02-15-2019 12:11 PM

Quote:

I'm speaking of pre-injury, just depending how bad it is then going into the realm of believing your medical staff when he's recovered and dealer's choice when to take him.

As stated before it won't matter much because Veach is going to obsess over a prospect of positional value in the 1st round and trade up. IMO, it'll be at the passrusher or LB position.

kccrow 02-15-2019 07:18 PM

Tough decision. If it was just the ACL, I'd take him in the 3rd. That domestic shit bothers me though, but **** it's a league that truthfully only gives a **** skin deep. No problem burning a 5th.

BryanBusby 02-16-2019 07:03 AM

Lets not get ridiculous about this. This guy, even with woman beater tag and a torn ACL, is still probably going in the 2nd round.

Chargem 02-16-2019 08:58 AM

There's too many moving parts at the moment, but I could really talk myself into taking him at the end of the 2nd. He was debateably a top 10 pick before the ACL/DA issues and the Chiefs aren't going to have an actual top 10 pick for years.

If you can fill a few spots of D with FA for a year, I would take him in the 2nd. If you trade Ford for a high 2nd round pick, I'd take him at the end of the 2nd.

BryanBusby 02-16-2019 09:42 AM

I'm not convinced the whole woman battery thing really is much of an issue deep down. Ultimately teams just don't give a shit.

He can still contribute a little but as a rookie.with the ACL issue. I'm feeling top half of Round 2 is where he's going.

Halfcan 02-16-2019 11:19 AM

I would pass on this hurt pos.

We are favorite for the SuperBowl- we need guys that can step in from day one.

Chargem 02-16-2019 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 14109764)
I would pass on this hurt pos.

We are favorite for the SuperBowl- we need guys that can step in from day one.

How many game 1 starters are you expecting from this years draft?

Halfcan 02-16-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chargem (Post 14109843)
How many game 1 starters are you expecting from this years draft?

I think you should at least expect significant snaps from your 1st and two 2nd rounders- but who knows, the Chiefs have used the second round for huge reach picks lately. Maybe they will reach on a guy for the future again? :hmmm:

I think they should draft, LB, Safety and CB with those picks. We need upgrades at those positions This year.

kcbubb 02-17-2019 12:18 AM

The chiefs should trade up to the top of the second and take Simmons. Simmons is a top talent and the domestic abuse incident is old. D-Line is about God given talent and this guy is a top 10-15 talent. Trade up and get him at the top of the 2nd and hope he is ready for a playoff run. The history of the article below is interesting.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.acm...al-opportunity

Chargem 02-17-2019 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcbubb (Post 14110694)
The chiefs should trade up to the top of the second and take Simmons. Simmons is a top talent and the domestic abuse incident is old. D-Line is about God given talent and this guy is a top 10-15 talent. Trade up and get him at the top of the 2nd and hope he is ready for a playoff run. The history of the article below is interesting.

If you're going to trade up to the top of the 2nd why not just take him in the 1st?

Chris Meck 02-17-2019 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chargem (Post 14110792)
If you're going to trade up to the top of the 2nd why not just take him in the 1st?

because he'll be there in the 3rd.

Laugh if you like; get back to me after day three of the draft.

Chargem 02-17-2019 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 14111509)
because he'll be there in the 3rd.

Laugh if you like; get back to me after day three of the draft.

I agree with you he has a decent chance of making it to the 3rd. Depending how FA goes, I would be okay with taking him as with one of the late 2nds.

I was more asking the poster why they would trade up (probably requiring both 2nd round picks) to get to the top of the 2nd when you already have a late 1st round pick. Just didn't make sense to me to do that.

kcbubb 02-17-2019 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chargem (Post 14111516)
I agree with you he has a decent chance of making it to the 3rd. Depending how FA goes, I would be okay with taking him as with one of the late 2nds.

I was more asking the poster why they would trade up (probably requiring both 2nd round picks) to get to the top of the 2nd when you already have a late 1st round pick. Just didn't make sense to me to do that.

I think Simmons value is around 35-45. So, I wouldn't want to take him with the first pick. The history pointed out in the article seems to support that. I wouldn't want the headline to be that we spent our first on him because of the domestic abuse incident and the injury and bc he's not worth a first. But if we could put together a combination of players or picks to get him at around 40. That's what I would do. I think spags will do best with an elite d-line. Simmons could help provide that in time for the playoffs. It's an opportunity to get a rare talent when you need it most.

KChiefs1 04-21-2019 08:07 PM

Cynthia Freuland just chose him for the Chiefs in the first round on NFLN mock draft.

Chris Meck 04-22-2019 12:43 AM

It's hard to argue with really; I mean long term thinking is ultimately always better.