ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Jurrell Casey plans to protest on field during anthem (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316323)

Strongside 07-19-2018 07:55 AM

These protests have moved past the point of “shedding light on one’s community.” They represent something drastically different to the general public now. The original message has been so muddied up that it’s become moot. My issue is that I’ve not heard one person explain to me what the end game is. What’s the desired outcome? “Shedding light on your community” is great, but what do you WANT to see happen to satisfy your protest?

Protests are the sister of demand. If you can’t clearly, or even loosely, define what your demands are, then your protest is simply an act of rebellion. Rebellion is fine, but it’s no way to shift public perception or opinion without a stated goal.

The one thing that irked me abou Peters’ protests last year is that he REFUSED to talk about it. If you’re trying to raise awareness, but then you don’t use your voice in your unique public stage, that’s a huge miss. It comes off as incredibly self-serving.

displacedinMN 07-19-2018 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc (Post 13635019)
I don’t think that’s specified but I imagine most teams will pay the fines.

Until 25 players protest and the NFL fines each of them 5000 a game.

displacedinMN 07-19-2018 08:02 AM

Talking about it on the radio today. Michelle Tafoya is on KQRS Minneapolis in the mornings.

The other host Tom Barnard said "What if the network just does not show the anthem or any of the protests?"

She said "We have to document what we see. If someone is doing this-we show it. We have to."

It will be posted on KQRS soon. Started talking about it about 8:35 am.

It sounds like Tafoya is tired of the whole thing too.

Nzoner 07-19-2018 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 13635028)
These protests have moved past the point of “shedding light on one’s community.” They represent something drastically different to the general public now. The original message has been so muddied up that it’s become moot. My issue is that I’ve not heard one person explain to me what the end game is. What’s the desired outcome? “Shedding light on your community” is great, but what do you WANT to see happen to satisfy your protest?

Protests are the sister of demand. If you can’t clearly, or even loosely, define what your demands are, then your protest is simply an act of rebellion. Rebellion is fine, but it’s no way to shift public perception or opinion without a stated goal.

The one thing that irked me abou Peters’ protests last year is that he REFUSED to talk about it. If you’re trying to raise awareness, but then you don’t use your voice in your unique public stage, that’s a huge miss. It comes off as incredibly self-serving.

Very well put and 100% agree

My opinion(especially with guys like Peters) **** them and **** this league

loochy 07-19-2018 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 13635040)
She said "We have to document what we see. If someone is doing this-we show it. We have to."

No, you don't. It's just like how they never show field streakers.
Posted via Mobile Device

displacedinMN 07-19-2018 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 13635048)
Posted via Mobile Device

NBC.

They could stop showing the anthem or just show the flag for a minute.

Strongside 07-19-2018 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 13635048)
Posted via Mobile Device

Great comparison.

Networks be like: “we will not show fans that run into the field. We don’t want to glorify criminals.”

Also networks: “Here’s 50 photos and the life story of this mass shooter. We have to show this!”

KChiefs1 07-19-2018 08:17 AM

I'm so sick of this whole thing.

DJJasonp 07-19-2018 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 13635057)
Great comparison.

Networks be like: “we will not show fans that run into the field. We don’t want to glorify criminals.”

Also networks: “Here’s 50 photos and the life story of this mass shooter. We have to show this!”

Bingo. Wouldnt want to miss out on a little controversy/drama would they?

Media are whores.

Valiant 07-19-2018 08:49 AM

Agreed, if the mediA just shows the flag and singer the issue goes away.

Also, don't have the players out there. They didn't use to be until the military paid the league to have them out there.

If they stay out there, eventually the team will take action as the league would just keep increasing the fine until it hurts.

KChiefs1 07-19-2018 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 13635057)
Great comparison.

I don't watch the news anymore.

smithandrew051 07-19-2018 09:43 AM

My theory.

The NFL loves the anthem protest, because controversy creates cash. They announced the new rule after the draft and before camp. They found a way to stay in the news during a dead period.

They could’ve squashed this whole thing before it started if they were concerned with it. The first time Kaep sat through the anthem, they could’ve settled it then. They could’ve instructed their announcers, film crew, pregame shows, etc to not talk about it at all. Don’t give it any press and it will go away eventually. I would assume the NFL has decent leverage with ESPN as well. They probably could’ve made sure ESPN didn’t cover it either.

In the end, anthem protests won’t kill the NFL. CTE possibly will unless there is some sort of major breakthrough to prevent/treat it. Anything that distracts from that helps.

I’ll take off my tinfoil hat now.

BWillie 07-19-2018 09:44 AM

Look at me, look at me, I want attention, look at me.

Eleazar 07-19-2018 09:55 AM

Fine the first time, and then suspensions without pay will start. I'm guessing his qualms about America will subside after that.

tooge 07-19-2018 09:58 AM

And this is why this shit continues. Let it go. Don't report it. Don't talk about it. Don't show it on TV. It'll fade away.