ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Might you consider trying Arby’s new Diablo Dare spicy sandwich (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=341799)

Fish 01-11-2022 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 16068662)
Nope.

Don't understand the hot torture thing.

Just yesterday I took a big scoop of green salsa from our taco order thinking it was tomatillo. turns out it was jalapeño.

So damned spicy I was eating milk, sugar etc trying to get that outta my mouth. I said "damn I hope I never get pepper sprayed because I just might lay down and voluntarily die."

The fascinating thing is that for real pepperheads, a jalapeno is actually pretty low on the capsaicin scale with regards to heat. Compare the jalapeno with it's feistier orange cousin, the habanero. The levels vary wildly. And this scale doesn't even really touch any of the nutso hybrid peppers well above the Ghost pepper. Granted, this scale is a really rough estimation because actual peppers can vary wildly on actual capsaicin levels depending on a bunch of different factors. Regardless, as you can see by the chart if fast food places were using actual "Ghost peppers" they would have customers passing out in the lobby. Ghost pepper is the hottest thing I've ever had, and it was pretty insane. Hard to describe, it's a heat that just racks your whole body and you wish you could die. But your brain thinks you're actually on fire and dying, so it pumps out all kinds of happy chemicals. Like other reward mechanisms, it makes you want more.

https://www.isabeleats.com/wp-conten...heat-units.jpg

vonBobo 01-11-2022 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 16066699)
It's hard to explain, but spicy food can be an actual physical addiction of sorts. Spicy food makes your brain think you're actually on fire, and gives you a huge dopamine dump to the brain that provides reward similar to drugs. Leaves you wanting more and more heat for that sweet sweet dopamine rush...

Oh hell yeah. Spicy food with crisp beer is a euphoric adventure if done right.

srvy 01-11-2022 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 16067307)
I'd have to assume Arby's brisket has to be shit, right?

Don't know about it. Just remember my craving a few years back for their Rueben around St Pats Day and it was pure crap that got tossed.

Why does that look like mayo on the two sandwiches? A spicey sandwich doesn't need mayo IMO.

DJ's left nut 01-11-2022 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 16068683)
The fascinating thing is that for real pepperheads, a jalapeno is actually pretty low on the capsaicin scale with regards to heat. Compare the jalapeno with it's feistier orange cousin, the habanero. The levels vary wildly. And this scale doesn't even really touch any of the nutso hybrid peppers well above the Ghost pepper. Granted, this scale is a really rough estimation because actual peppers can vary wildly on actual capsaicin levels depending on a bunch of different factors. Regardless, as you can see by the chart if fast food places were using actual "Ghost peppers" they would have customers passing out in the lobby. Ghost pepper is the hottest thing I've ever had, and it was pretty insane. Hard to describe, it's a heat that just racks your whole body and you wish you could die. But your brain thinks you're actually on fire and dying, so it pumps out all kinds of happy chemicals. Like other reward mechanisms, it makes you want more.

https://www.isabeleats.com/wp-conten...heat-units.jpg

I grow ghost peppers every year and add just 1 to a 12 qt pot of chili - gives it plenty of heat.

The thing about ghost peppers that's maddening in some ways is that they're GOOD. The flavor is just outstanding. I don't care for Habaneros and rarely use them in anything because all I taste is that smoke flavor on the front end. But man ghost peppers bring a lot to the party. But because they're so damn hot, you can't use many of them.

Jalapenos are funny - I've had some that are bland as bell peppers and some that have had me run screaming for any milk I could find. And seemingly off the same plant.

DJ's left nut 01-11-2022 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 16068662)
Nope.

Don't understand the hot torture thing.

Just yesterday I took a big scoop of green salsa from our taco order thinking it was tomatillo. turns out it was jalapeño.

So damned spicy I was eating milk, sugar etc trying to get that outta my mouth. I said "damn I hope I never get pepper sprayed because I just might lay down and voluntarily die."

The more heat I use, the less fat I'll use.

If I'm making something that I think could use some cheese or to be pan-fried in butter, I can just use a little olive oil and a spicy rub instead. Even if it's just a cajun rub.

From a calorie standpoint, heat is 'cheap' flavor. It brings a lot to the meal without adding fat/sodium. I think that's largely why it's gotten so popular as people have gotten a little more health conscious.

Pointer19 01-11-2022 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16068936)

If I'm making something that I think could use some cheese or to be pan-fried in butter, I can just use a little olive oil and a spicy rub instead. Even if it's just a cajun rub.

From a calorie standpoint, heat is 'cheap' flavor. It brings a lot to the meal without adding fat/sodium. I think that's largely why it's gotten so popular as people have gotten a little more health conscious.

Agreed. That's why I get a medium fry with my two Popeye's spicy chicken sandwiches. Healthy! :P

Baby Lee 01-11-2022 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 16068936)

Besides this, and the endorphin factor, there's two other plusses.

Hot food at least gives the sense that you are kickstarting your metabolism. Be all groggy and loagy and eat something spicy and suddenly you're sweating and flushed like you took a little jog.

Also, if you have chronic nagging sinus problems, hot stuff loosens shit up and gets it draining and moving. Blow your nose a couple times and you feel great.

Punguents like horseradish, Chinese mustard and wasabi operate similarly.

DJ's left nut 01-11-2022 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 16069517)
Besides this, and the endorphin factor, there's two other plusses.

Hot food at least gives the sense that you are kickstarting your metabolism. Be all groggy and loagy and eat something spicy and suddenly you're sweating and flushed like you took a little jog.

Also, if you have chronic nagging sinus problems, hot stuff loosens shit up and gets it draining and moving. Blow your nose a couple times and you feel great.

Punguents like horseradish, Chinese mustard and wasabi operate similarly.

I love that powdered chinese mustard. You add apple cider vinegar and honey to is (instead of water like the directions call for) and it's good on just about anything.

ModSocks 01-11-2022 04:17 PM

Spiciest thing ive ever eaten and nothing even comes close. Has me legit breaking out in sweat, eyes turning red etc.

My wife is addicted to these damn things, and i pretty much gave up eating them. Too spicy to be enjoyable.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/eV21RDG" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/eV21RDG"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

stevieray 01-11-2022 04:18 PM

Smoked horseradish sauce is a staple in the fridge.

ModSocks 01-11-2022 04:19 PM

Ya'll probably remember it from the popular TikTok challenge a few years back.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gptF8R-iU0o" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Easy 6 01-11-2022 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 16069533)
Spiciest thing ive ever eaten and nothing even comes close. Has me legit breaking out in sweat, eyes turning red etc.

My wife is addicted to these damn things, and i pretty much gave up eating them. Too spicy to be enjoyable.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/eV21RDG" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/eV21RDG"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bought that exact style at an Asian grocery a little over a month ago, and you're right... absolutely impossible, theres just no point in bothering with something that hot

And I didn't even use the little packet of dried peppers that you top it all off with, just stupid hot, can't taste a damn thing

gblowfish 01-11-2022 04:36 PM

I had a Wendy's spicy chicken sammich for lunch. Dave Thomas got his start with KFC, so Wendy's chicken is good. And it's not crazy spicy. Just right.

TimBone 01-11-2022 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 16069533)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 16069540)
Ya'll probably remember it from the popular TikTok challenge a few years back.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gptF8R-iU0o" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 16069550)
Bought that exact style at an Asian grocery a little over a month ago, and you're right... absolutely impossible, theres just no point in bothering with something that hot

And I didn't even use the little packet of dried peppers that you top it all off with, just stupid hot, can't taste a damn thing

Those noodles are a mainstay in our house. They're definitely spicy.

DJ's left nut 01-11-2022 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 16069573)
I had a Wendy's spicy chicken sammich for lunch. Dave Thomas got his start with KFC, so Wendy's chicken is good. And it's not crazy spicy. Just right.

Best spicy chicken nuggets in the business. They actually have flavor.

Though the limited time McDonalds ones with their special hot sauce weren't bad. They're better with some spicy mustard though.