ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life RIP - Peter Bogdanovich (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=341720)

Baby Lee 01-06-2022 02:19 PM

RIP - Peter Bogdanovich

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/06/enter...ary/index.html

quintessential tempermental artist.

82yo

scho63 01-06-2022 02:22 PM

I always remember him for being with Dorothy Stratton.

Rain Man 01-06-2022 02:25 PM

I'll never forget that long kick he made to beat the broncos.

Gary Cooper 01-06-2022 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 16055655)

And with Cybil Shepherd. A director or producer's age/looks don't matter to these young, silly women looking for fame.

I did a double-take when I heard the news. I just watched the Last Picture Show a few days ago. He was a great film historian. That's what I'll remember him for most.

Deberg_1990 01-06-2022 03:15 PM

Paper Moon and What’s Up Doc are classics.

RIP…

Mephistopheles Janx 01-06-2022 03:17 PM

No clue who this guy is but RIP anyway.

Frazod 01-06-2022 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 16055655)

Same here. IIRC he was completely obsessed with her, and she kicked him to the curb in favor of the guy who ended up killing her.

I don't think I've ever seen any of his movies.

smithandrew051 01-06-2022 03:26 PM

His son Bogdan must be very sad

Ocotillo 01-06-2022 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx (Post 16055793)
No clue who this guy is but RIP anyway.

Younger generations may remember him as Dr. Melfi's shrink in the Sopranos.

EPodolak 01-06-2022 06:01 PM

Lost a great movie man. Had encyclopedic knowledge of movie history and made a string of fantastic pictures of his own in the early 70s.

alpha_omega 01-06-2022 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16055800)
Same here. IIRC he was completely obsessed with her, and she kicked him to the curb in favor of the guy who ended up killing her.

I think it was the other way around.

RIP

frozenchief 01-06-2022 06:28 PM

Sad. He directed some of the episodes of The Sopranos. And The Last Picture Show is a tremendous film. Jeff Bridges, Sybil Shepherd, Chloris Leachman. Great film. Has Sybil Shepherd nude, too.

And What's Up, Doc? is an under-rated classic:

"You're just ... different."
"I'm sorry. I'll change. From now on, I'll be the same."
"The same as what?"
"People who aren't different."

The courtroom scene at the end:

"Do you know why I take this yellow pill?"
"No, sir."
"It's to remind me to take this blue pill. Do you know why I take this blue pill?"
No, sir."
"Neither do I. They're afraid to tell me."

Ocotillo 01-06-2022 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenchief (Post 16056281)
He directed some of the episodes of The Sopranos.

Why do series shows have different directors and not one director like a movie?

ReynardMuldrake 01-06-2022 06:44 PM

The Last Picture Show was a great ****in' movie. R.I.P.

Frazod 01-06-2022 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha_omega (Post 16056254)
I think it was the other way around.

RIP

You are correct. Her estranged husband killed her when she went to see him to attempt to amicably wrap up their divorce.

It's been 40+ years. I'm a little foggy on what I did yesterday.

Red Dawg 01-06-2022 07:53 PM

Who?

frozenchief 01-06-2022 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocotillo (Post 16056309)

To be edgy and cool and create some hype.

poolboy 01-06-2022 08:58 PM

Texasville is a pretty good flick...Jeff Bridges

WhawhaWhat 01-06-2022 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocotillo (Post 16056309)

So that they can keep production of the show moving and not have to wait on the director to finish pre and post production of other episodes before they move onto the next episode.

For example, the director of episode 1 can shoot the episode with the cast and then work with the post-production teams later, like editing and sound. While the post-production of episode 1 is being worked on, episode 2 is being taped with the cast and the new director. The director for episode 2 will work on the post production for that episode and the cast and writing teams get to keep moving through the season without stopping to wait for the same director every time.

Ocotillo 01-06-2022 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 16056578)
So that they can keep production of the show moving and not have to wait on the director to finish pre and post production of other episodes before they move onto the next episode.

For example, the director of episode 1 can shoot the episode with the cast and then work with the post-production teams later, like editing and sound. While the post-production of episode 1 is being worked on, episode 2 is being taped with the cast and the new director. The director for episode 2 will work on the post production for that episode and the cast and writing teams get to keep moving through the season without stopping to wait for the same director every time.

That makes perfect sense. Thank you for explaining.

scho63 01-06-2022 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16055800)

I think it was the other way around. She started an affair with Bogdanovich and her husband found out and she wanted to leave him. He said he was going to kill himself if she left and she stayed with him in fear of him killing himself. Instead he killed both of them.

Really ****ed up.

Frazod 01-06-2022 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 16056681)
I think it was the other way around. She started an affair with Bogdanovich and her husband found out and she wanted to leave him. He said he was going to kill himself if she left and she stayed with him in fear of him killing himself. Instead he killed both of them.

Really ****ed up.

Yes, my wrongness has already been acknowledged. :spank:

scho63 01-06-2022 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16056691)
Yes, my wrongness has already been acknowledged. :spank:

Our memories aren't the greatest at this point in life! ROFL

Ocotillo 01-07-2022 12:44 AM

Outside of the art he produced, Bogdanovich did a lot of good for the industry by meeting the greats such as Orson Welles, Alfred Hitchcock, John Ford, Howard Hawks and interviewed them for monographs he wrote. Bogdanovich later housed Welles at his mansion toward the end of of latter's life. He was first a fan of cinema and started off as a critic, and then became a notable director himself. Outside of his troubled personal life, he lived a fascinating and full life.

Baby Lee 01-07-2022 04:00 AM

If you are interested in late 70s, early 80s, film industry lore, with a feminist lens, YouMustRememberThis has a series on the life work of Polly Platt, . . . Bogdonavich's first wife who was a key factor in a lot of his most crucial early creative decisions, and who was dumped for Cybill Shepard during the filming of The Last Picture Show.

Not everyone knows, but her experience with Bogdonavich was imprinted in a lot of the tone of Terms of Endearment, which she went on to produce, among many other classics in their own right.

http://www.youmustrememberthispodcas...plattarchive28

alpha_omega 01-07-2022 10:13 AM

For visual reference....

https://www.newstatesman.com/wp-cont...773-scaled.jpg

Deberg_1990 01-07-2022 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha_omega (Post 16057005)

He had Cybill Sheppard and Dorthy Stratton in their primes. Good lord. A life well lived.

gblowfish 01-07-2022 10:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh my...Dorthy Stratten. Pretty good pull for a guy who looks like Rick Moranis' brother...

Gary Cooper 01-07-2022 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 16057029)
He had Cybill Sheppard and Dorthy Stratton in their primes. Good lord. A life well lived.

I definitely chose the wrong profession.

Archie F. Swin 01-07-2022 11:13 AM

As someone who lives 30 minutes from Archer City, Texas, the home of Larry McMurtry and the shooting location of The Last Picture Show, Peter's death and Larry's death six months earlier bear significant weight in this community.

alpha_omega 01-07-2022 12:32 PM

Waaay too long, but worth the read. Interesting that he thought Cher sucked.

This interview originally ran in 2019. We are republishing it following the death of Peter Bogdanovich on January 6, 2022.

In Conversation: Peter Bogdanovich The director on his films, marriage and infidelity, and the deaths he didn’t mourn.

https://www.vulture.com/2022/01/pete...versation.html

siberian khatru 01-07-2022 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha_omega (Post 16057197)

This interview originally ran in 2019. We are republishing it following the death of Peter Bogdanovich on January 6, 2022.

In Conversation: Peter Bogdanovich The director on his films, marriage and infidelity, and the deaths he didn’t mourn.

That was fantastic. Thanks for posting it.

Deberg_1990 01-07-2022 02:21 PM

Yea. Dude didn’t hold back in that interview. Dude was a poon hound for sure. The 70s were a different time.

Rain Man 01-07-2022 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha_omega (Post 16057197)

I just skimmed it, but it's a very interesting read. I'll have to go back to it.

My conclusion, though, is that I wouldn't have really liked this guy much if I had known him.

Oz_Chief 01-07-2022 02:29 PM

I highly recommend The Great Buster if you enjoy documentaries. He really appreciated Buster Keaton.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the..._a_celebration

Baby Lee 01-15-2022 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oz_Chief (Post 16057415)
I highly recommend The Great Buster if you enjoy documentaries. He really appreciated Buster Keaton.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the..._a_celebration

Thanks for this. . . Excellent tribute to a master.

I hadn't seen his time on Candid Camera. . . . The scene in the deli where he's at the lunch-counter having all sorts of trouble with his meal, . . . when he
Spoiler!
. . . ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL.

One of the most memorable cinema experiences in my entire life was when my dad took us to see a revival of The General at The Midland with all the pomp and circumstance [and of course organ accompaniment] of the golden era.

An all-time classic film, and still perhaps the funniest I've ever seen. Anyone who hasn't ever seen it, it deserves a full audience. The clips are funny, but the rhythm of the entire movie just builds and builds and needs to be seen in it's entirety. [it's rated the '18th' greatest film ever made, and is the only silent film on the list]

EDIT - and of course the Candid Camera clip exists on youtube

<iframe width="584" height="467" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lMMSpM8vukI" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>