ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals ***OFFICIAL*** 2013 STL Cardinals Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269316)

Mi_chief_fan 02-03-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9372281)
I'm not sure Oscar has the power that Vladdy has...afterall, I'm pretty sure Vladdy was 'enhanced' during his peak power years. And really, I don't see Oscar being the base-stealer that Vlad was during his peak either.

Maybe Chase Utley? But I think Tavares is a more aggressive hitter than Utley; probably won't have the OBP that he had. Maybe Bernie Williams? But again, Bernie drew a ton of walks.

Really, if you combine Bernie's batted ball profile with Torii Hunter's aggressive approach, I think you have Oscar. But a lot of those guys I'm a little reluctant to compare him to started drawing more walks as they got a little older, so maybe that's in store for Tavares as well. If he ever really refines his eye, he could easily be a Bernie Williams or Bobby Abreu type hitter.

Let's just compare him to All-Stars right now. We'll worry about comparing him to HOFers when he gets his 1000th hit or so...

I try not to get my hopes too high, the last Cards prospect with this much hype was probably J.D. Drew, and he turned out to be good, not great.

BigRedChief 02-03-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mi_chief_fan (Post 9374395)
I try not to get my hopes too high, the last Cards prospect with this much hype was probably J.D. Drew, and he turned out to be good, not great.

I don't remember Drew being the 3rd best prospect or higher in baseball right before he hit the majors. Wen have had our share of flops but every team does.

Mi_chief_fan 02-03-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9374505)
I don't remember Drew being the 3rd best prospect or higher in baseball right before he hit the majors. Wen have had our share of flops but every team does.

Not sure where he ranked, but he was hyped for nothing else because he spurned the Phillies; as we all know, dissing an east coast team like the Phillies is a mortal sin, punishable by having batteries thrown at you at Veterans Stadium.

DJ's left nut 02-05-2013 01:03 PM

Rumors are that the Cards have scheduled a 1:30 press conference to announce that Carpenter is retiring.

I guess you defer to the guy that just decided he didn't have the drive to answer the bell when pitchers and catchers report, but shit man - you couldn't have told us this several months ago? That might've been handy information to have, no?

Well that frees up some payroll, I guess. Too bad there's nobody left to sign.

Time to make a FA push for Michael Bourn and get to work on trading Holliday+ for Andrus.

Marcellus 02-05-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9380055)
Rumors are that the Cards have scheduled a 1:30 press conference to announce that Carpenter is retiring.

I guess you defer to the guy that just decided he didn't have the drive to answer the bell when pitchers and catchers report, but shit man - you couldn't have told us this several months ago? That might've been handy information to have, no?

Well that frees up some payroll, I guess. Too bad there's nobody left to sign.

Time to make a FA push for Michael Bourn and get to work on trading Holliday+ for Andrus.

They aren't trading Holliday.

DJ's left nut 02-05-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9380070)
They aren't trading Holliday.

I know.

That doesn't mean they shouldn't. Holliday for Andrus would be a win/win for both squads. Though if the Rangers weren't willing to part with Andrus for Upton, they aren't going to give him up for Holliday either.

Marcellus 02-05-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9380077)
I know.

That doesn't mean they shouldn't. Holliday for Andrus would be a win/win for both squads. Though if the Rangers weren't willing to part with Andrus for Upton, they aren't going to give him up for Holliday either.

You would think with a strong a farm system as the Cards have, finding a shortstop wouldn't be so tough. We don't need an All Star just a real solid guy.

Same for 2nd base. How far out is Wong another year or more?

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-05-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9380121)
You would think with a strong a farm system as the Cards have, finding a shortstop wouldn't be so tough. We don't need an All Star just a real solid guy.

No farm system has good ML-caliber talent at every position.

DJ's left nut 02-05-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9380121)

I'm really reluctant to get excited about Wong right now.

His hitting profile is starting to look a hell of a lot like Daniel Descalso's and Danny D has had the bat knocked out of his hands at this level. He's youngish, but he's not showing any real high-end tools down on the farm.

I'm thinking Wong is most likely to be little more than a placeholder.

EDIT: Presser had started so I just hit submit. I don't mean a placeholder, really. I mean just a decent player. He's not going to be much of a differencemaker out there, just a decent ballplayer.

ShowtimeSBMVP 02-05-2013 01:33 PM

DKnobler ‏@DKnobler

Cardinals announce Chris Carpenter "can't continue to throw" at this point. Not yet a retirement announcement, but it doesn't sound good

DJ's left nut 02-05-2013 01:34 PM

"After several attempts at throwing bullpens, Carpenter informed [Moe] that he's still experiencing the same stingers, pain, etc... that he experienced last spring and that he can no longer continue to throw"

...he's to seek medical advice, etc...

"It's very unlikely that he's going to pitch for us in the 2013 season"

duncan_idaho 02-05-2013 01:35 PM

SS is also the hardest to position to find, IMO.

There isn't a ton of SS talent in the US, as there is a lot of competition for those athletes who can play it at a high level (Soccer, football, basketball, etc.) And in the Latin America countries, you're scouting guys at 15/16 and trying to project arm strength, body size, quickness as adults.

Tough row to hoe.

So is Miller probably a lock for the rotation now that Carp is gone (assuming Lohse isn't brought back now)?

DJ's left nut 02-05-2013 01:38 PM

"We're comfortable with what we have"

Of course you are, Moe. You always are. WTF do you ever think needs to be upgraded on this roster and do you ever do anything but dumpster dive to improve it?

We're going to be ****ed once we run out of Luhnow draftees.

'Hamas' Jenkins 02-05-2013 01:39 PM

Wainwright
Westbrook
Garcia
Lynn
Rosenthal
Miller
Kelly

When Garcia inevitably goes down, you still have six potential starters for five spots.

Marco Polo 02-05-2013 01:59 PM

We have two top-50 overall prospects in Shelby and Rosenthal. Time to give them a chance.