ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc States and bias (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=290642)

TimBone 02-15-2015 07:34 PM

States and bias

A couple of posts in my well thought, well planned, awesome ice cream thread got me thinking.

Each state has stuff for which they are famous. It could be a city. It could be a food. It could be anything. And most of the time, the residents of this state make that place/food/thing out to be better than it is in reality.

So, what are some things in your state/city that everybody clamors over that you just don't share the love for?

Or what are some things you've traveled to other states for because of how famous it was, and were thoroughly disappointed?

I'll start by saying I'm a proud Texan, and Whataburger is ****ing average at best.

And to all you Whataburger defenders out there: Don't come in here telling me that I'm just going to the wrong one. I grew up in the state, and I've eaten at like seven of them. I couldn't have randomly ended up at the seven worst Whataburgers in the state. The other excuse I always hear is that you have to eat it when you're drunk, because that's when it's best. **** that. You know why you say that? Because all greasy food is good while you're drunk. Whataburger is average. Get over it.

TimBone 02-15-2015 07:35 PM

I also wanted to share a story about Louisiana:

I work and live in Louisiana. I had no idea how proud of their state some of these people were until I moved here. There was one young guy in particular that sticks out. He came to train in our control tower a couple of years ago. You could barely carry a conversation in the room without him somehow relating the topic of conversation to Louisiana and how great it is. "The swamps are prettier than mountains. The Crawfish are tastier than lobster. New Orleans is the best city in the world." Shit like that. He would spout this kind of stuff non stop. It grew to be very irritating, very quickly.

His last month here, a group of us were having a conversation in the tower about soda. I mentioned cream soda, and he immediately lit up. "Hey Tim, you want to try a great cream soda? You've got to try Big Shot Cream Soda. Straight out of New Orleans. Best cream soda in the world!" Well, I had finally had enough. After months of hearing this kids bias drivel, I finally blew up. I looked at him and loudly said, "Shut the **** up, dude. I'm tired of hearing this shit. Something being from Louisiana doesn't make it any better than something from anywhere else. In fact, most of the shit here ****ing sucks. This whole state pretty much ****ing sucks." He looked a little hurt, but shrugged it off. We all continued our conversation, and about a month later the dude was gone.

A week after he left, I happened upon a Big Shot Cream Soda in a local convenience store.

It was the best ****ing cream soda I have ever tasted.

SAUTO 02-15-2015 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 11328200)

I work and live in Louisiana. I had no idea how proud of their state some of these people were until I moved here. There was one young guy in particular that sticks out. He came to train in our control tower a couple of years ago. You could barely carry a conversation in the room without him somehow relating the topic of conversation to Louisiana and how great it is. "The swamps are prettier than mountains. The Crawfish are tastier than lobster. New Orleans is the best city in the world." Shit like that. He would spout this kind of stuff non stop. It grew to be very irritating, very quickly.

His last month here, a group of us were having a conversation in the tower about soda. I mentioned cream soda, and he immediately lit up. "Hey Tim, you want to try a great cream soda? You've got to try Big Shot Cream Soda. Straight out of New Orleans. Best cream soda in the world!" Well, I had finally had enough. After months of hearing this kids bias drivel, I finally blew up. I looked at him and loudly said, "Shut the **** up, dude. I'm tired of hearing this shit. Something being from Louisiana doesn't make it any better than something from anywhere else. In fact, most of the shit here ****ing sucks. This whole state pretty much ****ing sucks." He looked a little hurt, but shrugged it off. We all continued our conversation, and about a month later the dude was gone.

A week after he left, I happened upon a Big Shot Cream Soda in a local convenience store.

ROFL

Why Not? 02-15-2015 07:37 PM

Most Mexican food here in AZ is garbage.

Rain Man 02-15-2015 07:38 PM

When I was in Missouri, I never understood why toasted ravioli was viewed with such pride. I've tasted a thousand other Italian things that tasted just like it.

When I was in Texas...don't even get me started on the barbecue.

In Colorado, I don't understand skiing. It's cold, the boots hurt, you spend a majority of your time getting up the mountain, and you have to drive in the mountains in snow to get there.

TimBone 02-15-2015 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 11328208)
When I was in Missouri, I never understood why toasted ravioli was viewed with such pride. I've tasted a thousand other Italian things that tasted just like it.

In Colorado, I don't understand skiing. It's cold, the boots hurt, you spend a majority of your time getting up the mountain, and you have to drive in the mountains in snow to get there.

Yeah...after going to KC, I've got to say, they smash Texas BBQ.

srvy 02-15-2015 07:55 PM

The Plaza Lights seen much better displays in other cities. In its day was great now its just bla.

Oh and White Castle.

In58men 02-15-2015 07:59 PM

Sates and bias

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15...28b8c0c2c5.jpg

Dewars ice cream shop

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15...fe4ef1b0c3.jpg

Moo Creamery

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15...d0b2be54bc.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15...8a7c916f34.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15...7876fcecb6.jpg

Lengthwise volcano or stinky fries are amazing. Also, they brew their own beers inside and you can only purchase them here. Great IPA's.

Mr. Flopnuts 02-15-2015 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 11328198)
A couple of posts in my well thought, well planned, awesome ice cream thread got me thinking.

Each state has stuff for which they are famous. It could be a city. It could be a food. It could be anything. And most of the time, the residents of this state make that place/food/thing out to be better than it is in reality.

So, what are some things in your state/city that everybody clamors over that you just don't share the love for?

Or what are some things you've traveled to other states for because of how famous it was, and were thoroughly disappointed?

I'll start by saying I'm a proud Texan, and Whataburger is ****ing average at best.

And to all you Whataburger defenders out there: Don't come in here telling me that I'm just going to the wrong one. I grew up in the state, and I've eaten at like seven of them. I couldn't have randomly ended up at the seven worst Whataburgers in the state. The other excuse I always hear is that you have to eat it when you're drunk, because that's when it's best. **** that. You know why you say that? Because all greasy food is good while you're drunk. Whataburger is average. Get over it.

I lived in Tucson. Whataburger sucks a fat dick.

Dallas Chief 02-15-2015 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 11328208)

I spent the better part of the past 20 years in Texas and have to say that the BBQ is mostly garbage. I've had much better BBQ in Oklahoma, Memphis, several places in Arkansas, Birmingham, North Carolina, and of course Kansas City. Still haven't figured out the food scene in South Florida. Most of it is copy cat stuff from other parts of the country.

Mr. Flopnuts 02-15-2015 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 11328200)

ROFL You're in my current top 5.

srvy 02-15-2015 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dallas Chief (Post 11328251)
I spent the better part of the past 20 years in Texas and have to say that the BBQ is mostly garbage. I've had much better BBQ in Oklahoma, Memphis, several places in Arkansas, Birmingham, North Carolina, and of course Kansas City. Still haven't figured out the food scene in South Florida. Most of it is copy cat stuff from other parts of the country.

Damn I work a lot in Tulsa amd OKC as we have offices there and have not found good bbq or sadly Mexican food.

Bugeater 02-15-2015 08:05 PM

I ate at a Whataburger in Norman, OK in 1994 and thought it was fantastic. Never been to one since.

TimBone 02-15-2015 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baconeater (Post 11328261)
I ate at a Whataburger in Norman, OK in 1994 and thought it was fantastic. Never been to one since.

You're going to the wrong one.

Katipan 02-15-2015 08:08 PM

The Vegas Strip is pretty boring after the first few nights.

The Santa Monica pier is a shit hole.

Scottsdale

Sweet corn - Swear to whomever, but Colorado has better sweet corn than famous Iowa... I know... ****ed up my world too.