ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2012 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254372)

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-14-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 8373990)
Everything is "shaping" up to be a good season! ROFL

Stop being a 15 year old with 15 year old jokes. Heh.

:shake:

:D

58kcfan89 02-14-2012 08:53 PM

I agree with whoever said this is the most hyped Royals season in a long time. 22 years & I can't remember a more hyped one (maybe '04, but even my sophomore in HS self knew that was doomed to fail). Growing up I went to Wichita Wranglers games all the time (FU, Glass) & swear some of those teams could have put together better records than the big league team. Same was probably true in Omaha & NWA in the last few years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonedstooge (Post 8373883)
Heard on KC radio today that Dayton Moore, at a luncheon or some speaking engagement, stated that he doesn't expect to compete this year or next year. I don't mind taking the role of underdog, but damn man, set the bar a little higher than that

:shake:
This year, I can understand. But next year? I mean, you gotta get there at some point... By that time (2013), Hos, Moose, Gio, etc. should be pretty well-adjusted. I understand that you don't want expectations to get too high, but my God. Grow a pair.

Deberg_1990 02-14-2012 08:56 PM

This is our year!

Signed, every Royals season for 25 years.

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-14-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8374030)
This is our year!

Signed, every Royals season for 25 years.

Trolls are the bestest ever.

58kcfan89 02-14-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8374030)
Next year is our year!

Signed, every Royals season for 26 years.

FYP. :thumb:

Mama Hip Rockets 02-14-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 8373984)
Can't wait to see how Broxton looks in a Royal's uniform! Hopefully a little thinner.

And hopefully a little less shitty at pitching.

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-15-2012 01:04 PM

I'd never heard either of our new tv guys before. Hudler seems like he's going to be either really entertaining or really annoying.

<iframe src='http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=20094921&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

Coach 02-15-2012 01:15 PM

Tips on being an announcer:
- Do not try to be the next Dick Vitale (Annoying)
- Do not try to be the next Hawk Harrelson (Dumbass)
- Do not try to be the next Randy Cross (Heavy bias against a partictular team)
- Please do not try to overuse/overabuse terms (I.E. "Oh my." "Whoa Nellie." "Not so fast, my friend." Etc.)

There's plenty more out there, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Chiefspants 02-15-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 8373820)
15.... Haha.

Well, it looks like I'm no longer the youngest member here...sigh, it was fun while it lasted.

DeezNutz 02-15-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. noonanbeermefever (Post 8375245)
I'd never heard either of our new tv guys before. Hudler seems like he's going to be either really entertaining or really annoying.

<iframe src='http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=20094921&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

I hate him already.

gblowfish 02-15-2012 01:42 PM

Jesus.
Hudler is going to make me yearn for Bob Davis.
I didn't think that was possible.

He should apply for Information Minister in Iraq.

SnakeXJones 02-15-2012 02:18 PM

Hudler seems like a douche

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-15-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 8375376)
Jesus.

LMAO and Psysioc or whatever sounds a kind of deadpan... however these are just interviews in front of a mic not the way they'll necessarily call games at least... although I'd about bet Hudler will be all we think he can be and more lol.

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-15-2012 02:25 PM

I also get a small kick out of how the video is edited to try to make it sound like the host is actually asking these guys the questions live... then cut to the press conference and it's clearly not live at all lol

Dartgod 02-15-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 8375288)
- Please do not try to overuse/overabuse terms (I.E. "Oh my." "Whoa Nellie." "Not so fast, my friend." Etc.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 8375288)

-Try not to repeat yourself

ChiefsCountry 02-15-2012 02:38 PM

For our young guy who wants to be a sports announcer for baseball - listen to Denny Matthews and copy him. He is the best of the best.

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-15-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 8375290)

Chopper 2 hopper

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-15-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 8375559)
For our young guy who wants to be a sports announcer for baseball - listen to Denny Matthews and copy him. He is the best of the best.

I almost said earlier why can't people just emulate Denny and be done with it.

Demonpenz 02-15-2012 02:43 PM

Denny gets put on blast for making an already boring sport more boring.

Jenson71 02-15-2012 03:33 PM

If Rex Hudler calls games like that interview, this season is going to be a long one, no matter how good our offense looks.

DeezNutz 02-15-2012 03:38 PM

The only solace I can see in this is if Hurler is as ****ing annoying as he appears at first blush, there should be a vocal backlash, and the douche likely won't survive past year one. The downside, we still have to live through year one.

I miss Frank. :(

Bambi 02-15-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnakeXJones (Post 8375491)
Hudler seems like a douche

yep

petegz28 02-15-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 8375376)
Jesus.

Please, God don't ever say such a thing. Can anyone be as bad as Bob Davis?

petegz28 02-15-2012 05:10 PM

I love it...the Royals ran off an 8-time, Gold Glove, fan idol who has forgotten more about baseball than most people would ever hope to learn for a guy who admits he is not an expert.

Smoth move..yeah, that's right, I said "Smoth"...it ain't even worth the second o

Mama Hip Rockets 02-15-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. noonanbeermefever (Post 8375245)
I'd never heard either of our new tv guys before. Hudler seems like he's going to be REALLY REALLY ANNOYING.

Holy crap. Fixed your post.

petegz28 02-15-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 8376023)
Holy crap. Fixed your post.

Season hasn't even started and I'm already pissed.....Royals baseball...ya gotta love it!

Coach 02-15-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 8375553)
-Try not to repeat yourself

He gawn.

58kcfan89 02-15-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...183838797.html

The request we're sending to bloggers of all 30 teams this spring is a simple one: What are the 10 best things about being a fan of your favorite team? What features of the franchise have you excited for opening day and what keeps you coming back year after year?

Over the next few weeks, we'll give each of the 30 teams a day in the spotlight, showcasing the icons and traditions that make each big-league hamlet special. Up next is our pal Ryan Wood, an expat Royals fan in San Diego who once wrote about the wonders of a 20-year-old Ken Griffey Jr. chocolate bar for Big League Stew.

1. Our history is simple: A handful of division titles. One World Series loss. One World Series victory. One Hall of Famer. We've experienced all the delight of being a winning baseball fan, but in small doses so we actually appreciate them rather than expect them.

The Yankees can take their 27 rings. They can't even remember how they got half of them. In fact, have we even double-checked that number to make sure it's right? The Royals, on the other hand, have one beautiful championship to forever cherish, a seven-game classic in 1985 won fairly and squarely without any controversy whatsoever. We will always remember, and never take it for granted.

2. Our stadium is a cougar: I mean, look at her. She's 39 years old and she is smoking hot. Every time she gets a face-lift, she looks even better. While all of the other cookie-cutter ballparks from Kauffman Stadium's era were run-down, terrible-looking pieces of waste that have been ditched for a younger beauty, our stadium is every bit as gorgeous as it was on the day that it opened.

Fountains, a giant crown scoreboard, the soothing hum of I-70 beyond center field. Yep, Kauffman Stadium is the Diane Lane of baseball parks. And we're proud of that.

3. George Brett: The story goes that in 1990, during a wretched losing streak, the younger players were stewing and pointing fingers in the clubhouse. Big John Mayberry, then a Royals coach, came storming in to shut them up.

"You guys have never won anything," he said. "What do you know about winning? Look at those flags in left field. A lot of great players helped hang those flags.

"You want to know about winning? Then shut up and ask No. 5 because he hung them all."

Brett is still adored in Kansas City to this day. Our franchise owes everything to him. He retired in 1993 and has lived in Kansas City ever since. He has helped us through this putrid 20-year stretch by being a face of the franchise, doing TV commercials, interviews, and assuring us that the glory days he led us through can be re-lived again with the young batch of talent coming in. We need that from him.

The Royals only won 75 games the year of Mayberry's rant. But Brett? He won his third and final batting title by hitting .329.

4. Our future is bright: Buy your high-priced free agents, Yankees. Pillage the poorer markets when their players just enter their primes, Red Sox. The Royals are going to get this done sometime in the next few years, do it with all home-grown players, and it's going to be so much more rewarding that way.

Royals GM Dayton Moore has tried to keep fans happy while his future stars seasoned in the minors. He signed Jose Guillen (thanks, Dayton) and other so-so players to bide the time. He asked us to "trust the process" and when the losing kept going, fans started mocking that slogan.

But after seeing flashes of Kansas City's future last season — Eric Hosmer, Mike Moustakas, Aaron Crow, Salvador Perez, Johnny Giavotella, Alex Gordon — we can't help but trust it. The next four or five years are going to be a blast.

5. Bo: Man, I love Bo Jackson. I was 8 years old in 1989 when he hit that 900-foot home run at the All-Star game in Anaheim. That day, I was infected with Bo Fever. It's been 23 years and I'm still sick.

What Bo gave the Royals in their post-playoff years was the spotlight. He was a folk hero. He was so big, so fast, so strong and, best of all, so charismatic. One game, I wasn't even watching the action. I was watching Bo in left field, twirling his glove on his finger like a basketball between pitches. I thought this was the coolest thing ever.

Bo was Kansas City's all-time biggest rock star, and even though his career was cut short, I hereby call on the Royals to put him in the team's Hall of Fame already.

6. T-shirt Tuesday: I'm not even sure how this started, or exactly what year it debuted. But once a month, the Royals have a Tuesday night T-Shirt giveaway. You should see the Royals T-Shirts I have piled high to the ceiling in my closet. A George Brett powder blue shirsey with pine tar stains on the shoulder. A Zack Greinke "Ace" T-Shirt that, without any good reason, I still wear. Even dumb ones like a "Ketchup" shirt promoting who I should root for in the video board's nightly Hot Dog race (Mustard and Relish can eat sand).

Thanks to this promotion, I don't have to fill out lame credit-card applications just to get a free Royals T-shirt.

7. "Good evening Royals fans": There's really nothing better as a sports fan than to have the same play-by-play announcer your entire life. It's a treat.

Every time I hear Denny Matthews call Royals games, the simpler days of my youth are closer than ever. Denny, while a bit less enthusiastic in recent years, is still sharp, still occasionally funny and still calls the action identically to how he did it in 1969 in the Royals' inaugural season. It's the same voice I heard long after I was supposed to be in bed during West Coast trips. The same voice I heard on my parents' boat at the Lake of the Ozarks every summer. The same voice I hear piping through the concourse speakers at Kauffman Stadium when I'm going to buy chili cheese fries.

I often wonder if iconic announcers realize just how much they mean to a fan base. Denny Matthews is Kansas City Royals baseball more than anyone else, and I hope he has 40 more years in him.

8. You know we're serious: It must be agonizing to be a true fan of the Boston Red Sox. If you are, you're surrounded by bandwagon clowns who want to be taken seriously. Some of those fans have never even been east of the Mississippi River, let alone attended a game at Fenway Park. I have sympathy for you, real Red Sox fans, because the fans I'm talking about show up at Kauffman Stadium for three annoying games every year.

But if you're a Royals fan, you're for real. Your devotion is never questioned. Our bandwagon pretty much empties after the opening day party. I'd guess every single Royals fan out there has a connection of some sort to Kansas City. Go to a Royals game on the road, as I often do, and you can pick up a conversation with anybody else wearing a KC hat and find out that they probably grew up right down the street from you. No pretenders here.

9. Tailgating: It's not as rampant as Milwaukee tailgating (which is pretty much brats and beer). But tailgating at the Truman Sports Complex is a fun way to kick off a night at the old ballpark.

Personally, my crew would either bring a grill or stop by a famous Kansas City barbecue joint and pick up some amazing food. Grab a six-pack of Boulevard to responsibly chug one after another. With weeknight crowds sparse, the parking lot is a wide-open playground. Take a football and go deep or grab a baseball and play long-toss. Your rotator cuff will hate you and might even rip to shreds, but whatever.

10. THIS:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1jj7Bctd78M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Didn't see this posted.

I need that Mustard hot dog race shirt.

tk13 02-15-2012 06:10 PM

This is on the front page of ESPN.

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:7571956&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

Simplicity 02-15-2012 06:25 PM

You know, I actually don't really have a connection to KC means I live right up in IOWA. I actually started liking KC when I was about 2 months old :) ... Been one my whole life. My dad was born in 69 (the year Chiefs won the SB) and he went to a game when he was a kid and liked them ever since. My mom and him were already Royals fans and always brought me down to the K for games when I was younger. Watched Dye and Sweeney play. What an experience! They also brought me down to a couple Chiefs training camps... Of course I was too young to really know who was a player. My dad says I went up to a tall black janitor and asked for a autograph (I didn't know better!)..
Just went to my second Chiefs game at Arrowhead last November (terrible dolphins game) for my b-day! We plan on going to more next year and go to some Royals games this year.

There is my fan experience!!!

Kyle DeLexus 02-15-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 8376212)
You know, I actually don't really have a connection to KC means I live right up in IOWA. I actually started liking KC when I was about 2 months old :) ... Been one my whole life. My dad was born in 69 (the year Chiefs won the SB) and he went to a game when he was a kid and liked them ever since. My mom and him were already Royals fans and always brought me down to the K for games when I was younger. Watched Dye and Sweeney play. What an experience! They also brought me down to a couple Chiefs training camps... Of course I was too young to really know who was a player. My dad says I went up to a tall black janitor and asked for a autograph (I didn't know better!)..
Just went to my second Chiefs game at Arrowhead last November (terrible dolphins game) for my b-day! We plan on going to more next year and go to some Royals games this year.

I have a couple tall, black friends if you want anymore autographs.

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-15-2012 07:21 PM

1. Our history is simple: A handful of division titles.

Not to nitpick but it's 7... a handful plus 2. I'm being literal.

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-15-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

I was 16 when we won the World Series in '85. I went outside and sprinted around the house about 15 times screaming WOOOOOOOOOT!!!!! It was damn good to have gotten that Yankee monkey off our back (although we actually beat the Blue Jays that year but still) on the 7th try in the playoffs and even nicer maybe to beat StL for the title. In fact I feel like going outside and running around the house screaming again just thinking about it.

Saul Good 02-15-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

I was best friends with one of Frank White's sons all through grade school and high school. During one of our basketball games, a little kid walked up to my day (who was talking to Frank) and just stared at him. He asked him if he (my dad) was Frank White, and my dad said yes. The kid looked at him funny and asked, "are you sure? My dad says you're Frank White, but I don't think you are."

It was pretty funny. My dad told him the truth just before signing the autograph.

alnorth 02-16-2012 10:21 AM

Arbitration hearings are over. Players won only 2 out of 7.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...-hearings.html

Brewers, Nationals, Orioles, Pirates, and Rays all won their hearing. The Marlins lost both of their 2 hearings.

kc rush 02-16-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8376384)
I was best friends with one of Frank White's sons all through grade school and high school. During one of our basketball games, a little kid walked up to my day (who was talking to Frank) and just stared at him. He asked him if he (my dad) was Frank White, and my dad said yes. The kid looked at him funny and asked, "are you sure? My dad says you're Frank White, but I don't think you are."

It was pretty funny. My dad told him the truth just before signing the autograph.

Frank is my all time favorite player. His daughter was in my brother's class, so Frank would show up at some events. There were a couple of times he and I would be standing in a hallway or stairwell alone and he'd strike up a conversation, idle talk mostly.

I'm sure it was interesting for him talking with an awestruck 13-14 year old who couldn't articulate more than an "uh" because I was awestruck. Of course, this was the early to mid-80's, so the team was around their pinnacle.

Simplicity 02-16-2012 10:02 PM

YES YES YES!!!! Successfully re-downloaded photoshop and all my other picture programs! Okay accepting requests again!
P.S. If you requested before but didn't get there picture please request because I forgot all who wanted what and who requested.
First project since redownloading it vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv (My sig)

cabletech94 02-16-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 8378935)
YES YES YES!!!! Successfully re-downloaded photoshop and all my other picture programs! Okay accepting requests again!
P.S. If you requested before but didn't get there picture please request because I forgot all who wanted what and who requested.

me, me, me, me,me!!!

surprise me!!!!! i have the faith in you, SIR!!!

lewdog 02-16-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8376169)
This is on the front page of ESPN.

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:7571956&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

Watched this video....**** Scott Boras.

AndChiefs 02-17-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 8378935)

I'd love a pic for my avatar. Don't really care who it is as long as it's one of the main players coming up with the team.

Dartgod 02-17-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. noonanbeermefever (Post 8376333)
I was 16 when we won the World Series in '85. I went outside and sprinted around the house about 15 times screaming WOOOOOOOOOT!!!!! It was damn good to have gotten that Yankee monkey off our back (although we actually beat the Blue Jays that year but still) on the 7th try in the playoffs and even nicer maybe to beat StL for the title. In fact I feel like going outside and running around the house screaming again just thinking about it.

I was 24. What a great feeling. Almost as good was when we finally beat those damn Yankees in '80.

Simplicity 02-17-2012 04:30 PM

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/...er-Royals1.jpg

There you are Caleb.

Simplicity 02-17-2012 04:48 PM

OUR TIME Signatures and Avatars are now coming! Get yours before the new season gets underway to support your young, talented Royals!
Request what you want NOW!
Form for the request=
Signature or Avatar:

Player:

Batting or In the field:

Any additional quotes(OUR TIME will be on by default):

Simplicity 02-17-2012 05:13 PM

SORRY FOR TRIPLE POST!!! But thought you would want to see these... New line of OUR TIME sigs just in.

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/...ChrisGetz1.jpg

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/...aaroncrow1.jpg

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/...rroddyson1.jpg

Three7s 02-17-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 8380357)
OUR TIME Signatures and Avatars are now coming! Get yours before the new season gets underway to support your young, talented Royals!
Form for the request=
Signature or Avatar:

Player:

Batting or In the field:

Signature

Alex Gordon

Batting

Dominating

cabletech94 02-17-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Form for the request=
Signature or Avatar:

Player: moosetacos or hosmer would be great

Batting or In the field: either would be great

sig is fine! thanks in advance!!!

Priest31kc 02-17-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Form for the request=
Signature or Avatar:

Player:

Batting or In the field:

Signature

Hoz

Batting

"The Hoz"

Thanks in advance!

VonneMarie 02-17-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Form for the request=
Signature or Avatar:

Player:

Batting or In the field:

Sig

Soria

Either

Our time

Thanks!

Shogun 02-17-2012 09:17 PM

simplicity, any update on the stock photos?

Simplicity 02-17-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 8380709)
simplicity, any update on the stock photos?

Ummm... Bad news, didn't find them... Good news, I have all day tomorrow to find them on Google.

Simplicity 02-18-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three7s (Post 8380510)
Signature

Alex Gordon

Batting

Dominating

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/...xGordon1-1.jpg
Hope you like it.

Three7s 02-18-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 8381051)

Like it? I LOVE IT!

My 1000th post is well worth showing this bad boy off! Thanks!

gblowfish 02-18-2012 10:16 AM

Lee Judge Cartoon in today's KC Star Sports:
http://i42.tinypic.com/wi7l0i.jpg

Simplicity 02-18-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabletech94 (Post 8380532)
sig is fine! thanks in advance!!!

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/...cHosmerha1.jpg

Mr. Laz 02-18-2012 11:32 AM

Royals agree to terms with Hosmer, Moustakas
Athletics closing in on deal with Manny
Red Sox pitcher Wakefield, 45, retires
Yankees agree to send Burnett to Pirates
Mets' Santana makes return to mound
Royals have deals with Hosmer, Moustakas
House sends Clemens audio to prosecutors
Hall of Fame catcher Carter dies at 57
Pirates' Jones loses arbitration hearing
Ramon Ortiz agrees to deal with Giants
Arbitration filers get 89 percent raise
By DAVE SKRETTA
AP Sports Writer
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) The Royals agreed to contracts with first baseman Eric Hosmer, third baseman Mike Moustakas, outfielder Lorenzo Cain and right-hander Luis Mendoza on Saturday, two days before pitchers and catchers are due to report to spring training.
Hosmer will make $502,500 after putting together a stellar debut season in 2011. Moustakas will make $487,250 after also getting his initial big league call-up last year, while Cain will make $480,850 and Mendoza $488,925.
All four players have fewer than three years of service time, which means their contracts could be set at the club's discretion.
The remaining unsigned players on the Royals' 40-man roster are right-handers Louis Coleman, Greg Holland and Vin Mazzaro, left-hander Danny Duffy, catcher Salvador Perez and infielders Alcides Escobar and Johnny Giavotella.
Pitchers and catchers report on Monday while the rest of the squad reports Friday. The first full-squad workout in Surprise, Ariz., is scheduled for Feb. 25.
Royals owner David Glass told The Associated Press last month that he's already indicated to general manager Dayton Moore to think about long-term deals for some of the franchise's top young talent, including Hosmer and Moustakas, considered two of its cornerstones.
Hosmer hit .439 over his first 26 games with Triple-A Omaha last season, essentially forcing the Royals to bring him up to the majors. He responded by hitting .293 with 19 homers and 78 RBIs and getting plenty of attention for the American League Rookie of the Year award.
Moustakas also started off in Triple-A, and initially struggled when he was called up in early June. But the Royal stuck with him and he broke through in August, hitting .352 with four homers and 12 RBIs over the final month of the season.
Cain is expected to take over in center field after the team sent outfielder Melky Cabrera to the San Francisco Giants for starting pitcher Jonathan Sanchez during the offseason.
The speedy Cain .312 with 16 homers, 81 RBIs and 16 steals in 128 games at Omaha last season.
Mendoza revamped his mechanics last season and wound up earning pitcher of the year honors in the Pacific Coast League, where he went 12-5 with a 2.18 ERA for Omaha. He was 2-0 with a 1.23 ERA in two September starts for the Royals.
Sanchez, Bruce Chen and Luke Hochevar are considered the top three arms in the Kansas City rotation. Mendoza will compete in spring training with Felipe Paulino, Danny Duffy, Aaron Crow and Mike Montgomery, among others, for the final two starting jobs.

cabletech94 02-18-2012 11:54 AM

^^^

can't. friggin'. wait.

Three7s 02-18-2012 12:13 PM

My sig isn't showing up for some reason. I uploaded it and inserted it. It's showing up in my user CP, but not on posts.

EDIT
Nvm, guess it takes a bit.

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-18-2012 02:50 PM

Half a mill for one of the most talented and bright young guys in the game for this year... wow. Hoz is going to outgrow that contract quickly I'm betting. He and we will look back on it and remember the year he played for beer money heh.

Saul Good 02-18-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. noonanbeermefever (Post 8381674)
Half a mill for one of the most talented and bright young guys in the game for this year... wow. Hoz is going to outgrow that contract quickly I'm betting. He and we will look back on it and remember the year he played for beer money heh.

IIRC, he got a fat signing bonus.

duncan_idaho 02-18-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8381819)
IIRC, he got a fat signing bonus.

$6 million...

58kcfan89 02-18-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 8378963)
Watched this video....**** Scott Boras.

Let me guess. There's no way he's going to talk about deals for Hos & Moose until they're about to hit the market?....

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-18-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 8381848)
$6 million...

Well good I feel better about his ability to put food on the table then.

CaliforniaChief 02-18-2012 06:47 PM

I'd offer Hosmer a 7 year deal for $100 million right now.

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-18-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 8382151)

And Borus would say yeah that's nice. Give him a few years in the league and we'll call that a starting price heh.

stonedstooge 02-18-2012 06:56 PM

Do they just do a contract annually for all these new guys? They can do this for how many years?

petegz28 02-18-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonedstooge (Post 8382173)
Do they just do a contract annually for all these new guys? They can do this for how many years?

Not sure but they can do it until Hosmer can put it to them and say "gimme $150 mil and a sub sammich or I's gone, bitch!"

stonedstooge 02-18-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8382179)
Not sure but they can do it until Hosmer can put it to them and say "gimme $150 mil and a sub sammich or I's gone, bitch!"

If he has another great year, the Royals can just set his salary and he has no recourse? I guess I never followed all the new rules last time they all changed

ArrowheadMagic 02-18-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8382179)

Believe its 6 yrs on 40 man roster. Eligible for arbitration after 3

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-18-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadMagic (Post 8382191)
Believe its 6 yrs on 40 man roster. Eligible for arbitration after 3

Believe this is right. If he is what we think he is then the team will likely offer him a long term contract well before that but of course Borus isn't likely to just jump on it anyway. If it gets done at some point I imagine it will take a while. Will be helpful if the team has become contenders.

Saul Good 02-18-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 8382151)

Why? We control him for six more years, don't we?

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-18-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8382205)
Why? We control him for six more years, don't we?

I believe CaliforniaChief was trying to make a point or just didn't understand that. I could be wrong.

WilliamTheIrish 02-18-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

You know, I actually don't really have a connection to KC means I live right up in IOWA. I actually started liking KC when I was about 2 months old :) ... Been one my whole life. ...!!

I'd go through the whole fan "service time" thing, (wonder if I should hire Boras, and sell my fandom back to the Royals) but suffice to say, that I've spent countless days and nights in the RFGA and LFGA back when it was $1.50 and a race to to the front row.

I knew all the beer men personally, and on hot days Clem and Darcy would allow us in the stadium to sit and drink beer in the big cooler. Those were the days my friends. Those two guys got me and my brothers into sold out playoff games as SRO. Was a parking lot hack for a few summers just to see the games for free as often as I could. You meet a lot of players and ticket takers that way.

I traded Peanuts for baseballs with just about every pitcher that sat in the RF bullpen. I have heckled some the best opposing pitchers in the AL from the LF GA seats. So much so that Bill Singer of the California Angels after a game of being denigrated mercilessly took out his wad of chewing gum and tobacco and whizzed it past my brothers head.

My brother turned to Singer and yelled: "You couldn't hit me from that distance? No wonder you got sent back to Tacoma" (AAA affiliate of the Angels at the time). I've never seen a player so mad in my life. Funny as hell.

Those were great days we were living my bros. We were jolly green giants walking the earth with vicious barbs. These players we wasted today are the finest baseball players we will ever know. When our franchise turns to shit we're going to miss not having opposing players we can heckle any longer.

WilliamTheIrish 02-18-2012 08:41 PM

I posted this in the Gary Carter RIP thread. But since they had many similarities as the early Royals franchise and I wanted Sib Khat to see it, I'm posting it in here too.

RE: Gary Carter

It took me a little longer to post in this thread because I wanted to be sure of what I remembered about the guy, his original team and how my view of him changed after he was traded to the Mets.

I have some very old VHS tapes from the 1981 NL playoffs. It was really shitty footage now and I had to go to pawn shop to buy a player for the tapes. It was on NBC with Tony Kubeck and Bob Costas doing PbP and color. Great commercials.

Anyway, I always thought that franchise would break out and win. I followed that team as they used the Royals "blueprint" from the inception of the franchise. They drafted better than any team and found players everywhere.

Andre Dawson, Tim Raines, Ellis Valentine. At the time that was the best outfield in the NL as far as range. Infield was Cromartie, Larry Parrish, (Tim Wallach - was listed as an OF at the time) Rodney Scott and they had signed Cris Speier from the Giants. Very solid gloves all through the middle, especially with Carter behind the plate.

They had an "Ace" in Steve Rogers and closer in Jeff Reardon who would gain more fame for his ability to close games for the Twins when the Expos dismantled the franchise.

1981 was the strike shortened split season where two teams who had the best overall records (Cards and Reds) didn't make the playoffs. One team had a combined record of under .500 (Royals) but won the second season and made the playoffs.

Carter was the player I really enjoyed watching behind the plate. I don't think there has been a catcher since Johnny Bench who made the position look so simple. He was big and strong, but was fluid behind the plate. And the guy could hit for power and average. Seemed to be the catcher of his generation. Always waited for Mel Allen and This Week In Baseball to come on to see any highlights of Carter (and the Royals of course).

It looked like they were going to be the NL team of the 80's. But for some reason it just never happened for that franchise. The Expos got by Philly and opened in LA for the NLDS. They got a split, losing to Burt Hooten but beating Fernando (mania!) Valenzuela 7-1 in game two. Steve Rogers beat Jerry Ruess in game 3 and it looked for all the world that the Expos would be in the WS. But game 4 was dominated by Hooten, Bob Welch (who would gain some fame in the 81 WS by K'ing Reggie Jackson) and Steve (junkie) Howe.

Game 5 was Fernando vs Ray Burris. I'll never understand why Jim Fanning didn't start Rogers, but it was a gut wrenching pitchers duel the entire way. The Expos scored in the first on a Raines double and two infield groundouts. Burris pitched well but gave up the tying run on two singles, a WP and 4-3 groundout in the 5th.

And as the game wore on into the 9th, Fanning brought in the ace starter Steve Rogers instead of Jeff Reardon. (Sounds like somebody we all know and remember from 1977, eh Siberian Khatru?)

Rogers got two quick outs. And then Rick Monday hit the HR to straight away CF that I was certain was a lazy fly ball, that sent LA to the 1981 World Series.

Carter was pretty graceful in defeat. But I wondered if he knew then that it may never happen with that franchise. I know they traded him in 84, and in 86 he was part of a team that was so damn good but needed Bill Buckner and Bob Stanley and divine intervention to give them the WS.

Too young for Gary Carter to die. When boyhood heroes are put into the ground, my own mortality comes to the forefront.

*raises glass* Salute.

alnorth 02-18-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonedstooge (Post 8382188)
If he has another great year, the Royals can just set his salary and he has no recourse? I guess I never followed all the new rules last time they all changed

The first 3 years (or 2 if he qualifies as a "super 2", which Hosmer might because he was up for a lot of 2011), there is really no negotiation. The team could literally give them the league minimum and say take it or leave it, and the player has no choice.

Before the full 4th through 6th year (or 3rd through 6th year if super 2), the player is arbitration-eligible. He still wont get paid like a free agent, but he'll start to get serious raises similar to other arbitration-eligible players around the league who have similar stats and with the same amount of service time.

After 6 years, you are a free agent. Right now, Hosmer has zero full years, but his fraction of a year is big enough that he may qualify as a super 2 and get to arbitration 1 year early before the 2014 season. (he earned 146 days of service time, but a full year is 172 or more (you can't earn more than 1 year per season, so don't worry if he's up for 180 days per season), so he missed getting a full year by less than a month) That he gets more than league minimum this year and in 2013 (and 2014 if he's not a super 2) would be due solely through a gesture of goodwill from the Royals. (throwing him an extra few hundred thousand is easy, and if there's any chance that he appreciates it, its worth it)

We've got him for at least the next 6 years through the 2017 season unless we trade him, so a 7 year deal right now would just buy out one year of free agency.

tredadda 02-18-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Form for the request=
Signature or Avatar:

Player:

Batting or In the field:

Moose

Batting

The Moose is Loose

Thanks.

stonedstooge 02-18-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8382632)
The first 3 years (or 2 if he qualifies as a "super 2", which Hosmer might because he was up for a lot of 2011), there is really no negotiation. The team could literally give them the league minimum and say take it or leave it, and the player has no choice.

During the 4th through 6th year (or 3rd through 6th year if super 2), the player is arbitration-eligible. He still wont get paid like a free agent, but he'll start to get serious raises similar to other arbitration-eligible players around the league who have similar stats and with the same amount of service time.

After 6 years, you are a free agent. Right now, Hosmer has zero full years, but his fraction of a year is big enough that he may qualify as a super 2 and get to arbitration 1 year early before the 2014 season. That he gets more than league minimum this year and in 2013 (and 2014 if he's not a super 2) would be due solely through a gesture of goodwill from the Royals. (throwing him an extra few hundred thousand is easy, and if there's any chance that he appreciates it, its worth it)

We've got him for at least the next 6 years through the 2017 season unless we trade him, so a 7 year deal right now would just buy out one year of free agency.

Thanks

Dr. Johnny Fever 02-18-2012 10:56 PM

I knew al would have the answers.

Demonpenz 02-19-2012 04:57 PM

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2oajZhhD1YA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DeezNutz 02-19-2012 06:31 PM

I love DozeNutz, they're not bad...

Demonpenz 02-19-2012 06:35 PM

I love Deeznutz...he's not bad
I love The Royals Repsitory Not bad.