ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2012 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254372)

eazyb81 01-04-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8263378)
$100MM, yes.

$200MM (in today's dollars) is crazy fantasyland money. Not every star is A-Rod or Pujols, and those massive 10-year deals end up being horrible stupid albatrosses anyway. The Angels are going to feel the crushing weight of a lot of dead money in a few years.

Again - how many Boras clients have re-signed with their original team? Would you agree that Boras clients are more likely to test free agent waters and seek the maximum deal?

duncan_idaho 01-04-2012 04:03 PM

Adding Jackson also provides some valuable insurance for the Royals' young arms. Prevents them from having to rush Odorizzi or Montgomery. Gives them some flexibility with Duffy.

Hochevar
Sanchez
Jackson
Chen
Paulino/Duffy/Crow

would look pretty great and get the Royals P depth where it needs to be.

Of course, all that said.... if the Royals think they can snag one of the 2013 on the FA market, I would be OK with waiting one more year. Much better talent out there in 2013.

DeezNutz 01-04-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 8263462)
Because it assumes that we will spend it in the future which I am not sure we will. I don't believe Glass is sitting there with his accountant saying to pass on Jackson and throw $12MM in a 3-year CD to be ready for the 2014 offseason. It doesn't work like that because a million other scenarios could happen between now and then.

I think we have a chance to win this division next year, and adding Jackson will help that goal without blocking prospects or giving up valuable talent.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I don't believe this organization, which has been so ineptly run for for long (and DM continues to push the idiocy level at times) is now so detailed and forward-thinking with respect to overall payroll.

From Glass's perspective, I think all he knows now is that things are cheap. In other words, all is well.

We can re-sign Gordon and add Jackson at roughly $10M per and still be vastly underspending.

And any comments about "not being able to re-sign Hos" because of moves in '12 would be complete and utter bullshit.

alnorth 01-04-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 8263462)
Because it assumes that we will spend it in the future which I am not sure we will. I don't believe Glass is sitting there with his accountant saying to pass on Jackson and throw $12MM in a 3-year CD to be ready for the 2014 offseason. It doesn't work like that because a million other scenarios could happen between now and then.

I think we have a chance to win this division next year, and adding Jackson will help that goal without blocking prospects or giving up valuable talent.

then you believe Glass is a liar, which is fine, a lot of Royals fans have the same mindset. Its a fair assumption because he hasn't exactly proven that he'll lose money in a year, yet. If every dollar of profit in each fiscal year is going to be spent on upgrading him to the suite level in a Mediterranean island next winter, then it absolutely makes sense to pressure Glass to spend every dime, every year.

I just happen to think he's serious about using money saved now to accelerate to a Twins-level payroll or higher when the time comes

alnorth 01-04-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8263519)
And any comments about "not being able to re-sign Hos" because of moves in '12 would be complete and utter bullshit.

Hosmer can be Mauer'd regardless of whether we spend money now or not.

Since I don't believe Glass blatantly lied to baseball and the player's union, I'm more concerned about extending prospect #3 or #4.

alnorth 01-04-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 8263465)
Again - how many Boras clients have re-signed with their original team? Would you agree that Boras clients are more likely to test free agent waters and seek the maximum deal?

before free agency? Rare, and only against his recommendation.

Boras believes in getting to free agency to discover market value, thats it. There are many examples of Boras clients who get to free agency, find out what they are really worth, then give their home team a small discount to stay.

If a player switches to Boras during his free agency year, then he's gone, I've never heard one of those players staying.

alnorth 01-07-2012 07:11 PM

Royals have 5 in Scout's top 100 prospect list, 4 in the top 54

17) Wil Myers
32) Mike Montgomery
41) Bubba Starling
54) Jake Odorizzi
94) Cheslor Cuthbert

In other news, Schaum (scroll way down) is speculating that Montgomery may give up on his curveball, in favor of a slider/cutter.

edit: this is one of those things that barely merits a mention since we tend to sign a zillion latin teens in the hopes that a few will pan out, but what the hell. This might be the first and last time you'll ever see the name Sandy Garces. We signed him today from the dominican. He was trying to make it as both a CF hitter and/or a pitcher. His bat wasn't working out, but he's got a curve and a 91 mph fastball, so the Royals decided to sign him as a lefty pitcher.

CoMoChief 01-07-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8272906)
Royals have 5 in Scout's top 100 prospect list, 4 in the top 54

17) Wil Myers
32) Mike Montgomery
41) Bubba Starling
54) Jake Odorizzi
94) Cheslor Cuthbert

In other news, Schaum (scroll way down) is speculating that Montgomery may give up on his curveball, in favor of a slider/cutter.

edit: this is one of those things that barely merits a mention since we tend to sign a zillion latin teens in the hopes that a few will pan out, but what the hell. This might be the first and last time you'll ever see the name Sandy Garces. We signed him today from the dominican. He was trying to make it as both a CF hitter and/or a pitcher. His bat wasn't working out, but he's got a curve and a 91 mph fastball, so the Royals decided to sign him as a lefty pitcher.

Does this mean he'll be in the pen in the big's?

alnorth 01-07-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 8273040)
Does this mean he'll be in the pen in the big's?

no, not really. There's a lot of good starters that use a cut fastball or a slider instead of a curve.

DeezNutz 01-07-2012 08:33 PM

His change better be plus, though, because everything can't be hard/hard. Or he'll get lit/lit.

duncan_idaho 01-07-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8273281)
His change better be plus, though, because everything can't be hard/hard. Or he'll get lit/lit.

His change was his best pitch this year, according to every scouting report I saw.

One of the speculated reasons for Montgomery's struggles this year was that he was forced to work backwards and throw his secondary stuff to set up his fastball. It worked really well with his change. Not so much with the curve.

With his arm slot, the slider might work out a little better.

DeezNutz 01-07-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 8273346)
His change was his best pitch this year, according to every scouting report I saw.

One of the speculated reasons for Montgomery's struggles this year was that he was forced to work backwards and throw his secondary stuff to set up his fastball. It worked really well with his change. Not so much with the curve.

With his arm slot, the slider might work out a little better.

Thanks. Didn't know this.

petegz28 01-07-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8263282)
Glass isn't looking to profit, again unless you think he's lying.

There is no owner in the entire country who is willing to long-term lose money. EVERY owner is looking to break even at a minimum, including Miami's owner. (If their new park and team doesn't pan out, they will blow it up again)

Our market is what it is (though certainly big enough to be the Twins), and it is logical to save money now to spend later. It would not make sense to spend money that does not need to be spent to compete, just for the hell of it.

Glass IS looking to profit. His son even stated such several years ago. Making a profit comes before winning.

alnorth 01-07-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8273906)
Glass IS looking to profit. His son even stated such several years ago. Making a profit comes before winning.

link?

Because I've seen where Glass said, many times, including to the union, that he's looking to break even.

gblowfish 01-07-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Hey, Dan Glass says he's dedicated to total customer satisfaction!
http://www.dansglassinc.com/

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-09-2012 09:42 AM

Giavotella expects to be 100% by spring

Infielder set to accept George Brett Hitter of the Year Award

By Dick Kaegel / MLB.com | 01/08/12 6:51 PM EST

KANSAS CITY -- Second baseman Johnny Giavotella will be arriving for the Royals Awards Luncheon on Wednesday with some good news about his surgically-repaired right hip.

"I'll definitely be 100 percent by Spring Training," he said.

At least that's his forecast after getting a thumbs up recently from Dr. Marc Philippon, who performed the surgery to fix a slight labrum tear on Oct. 20 at Vail, Colo.

"It's feeling well, it's progressing every day. I'm starting to run, hit and throw, so everything is going as planned. I look forward to getting back on the field," Giavotella said. "I went back to the doctor about two weeks ago and he said everything has healed as far as the labrum and the bone. The main part of the rehab right now is getting more strength in the muscles around the surgical area and getting more flexibility."

Giavotella has been undergoing rehabilitation work at the Royals' complex in Surprise, Ariz. He'll travel to Kansas City for Wednesday's noon luncheon at the Overland Park (Kan.) Convention Center, where he'll receive the George Brett Award as the organization's top Minor League hitter of 2011. His .338 average, with 153 hits and 72 RBIs, earned him a promotion to the Royals on Aug. 5.

"I couldn't ask for a better year last year," Giavotella said. "I did very well in Triple-A and got two months under my belt in the big leagues, which was a tremendous experience for me that I think is going to help me even more this year."

Although Giavotella, who played 46 games for Kansas City and hit .247, is the leading candidate at second base, he'll be challenged by Chris Getz, who holds a defensive advantage. Yuniesky Betancourt, returning in a utility infield role, could be a wild-card candidate as he learns the nuances of second base.

"I'm going into Spring Training trying to earn a spot. I don't think anything is guaranteed," Giavotella said. "I'm going to go out there and do the best I can, and my mindset is that I'll go out there and earn it. Whoever gets the second base spot when the season opens up is going to have to earn it."

The young Royals finished the season strong, with a 15-10 record in September that included winning 11 of their last 16 games.

"We started to click toward the end of the season, and a lot of us rookies kind of got our feet under us, especially myself. Just kind of took a deep breath and settled down and started to play the game we always played, and wound up stringing together some wins toward the end of the year," Giavotella said.

He joins in the upswing of optimism about next season's Royals as their premier prospects from the Minor Leagues mix in the Majors.

"All of us rookies have been playing together for three or four years now, so we have all the confidence in the world when it comes to our abilities and what we can do," he said. "It's just of us getting the experience in the big leagues to shine through and become a consistent team heading forward."

On Wednesday, Giavotella will collect his trophy from the award's namesake, Brett, with whom he worked during Spring Training last year.

"I talked to George a decent amount, and anytime you get around him, you want to talk to him about hitting because he's so knowledgable. And the stories that he tells are second to none, so it's definitely fun to go out there and pick his brain and listen to what he has to say," Giavotella said.

Giavotella also will participate in the Royals Caravan, which begins this week.

Luncheon tickets can be purchased at www.royals.com/awards, or by calling 816-504-4040. Prices are $150 for individual tickets or $1,000 for a table of 10. General manager Dayton Moore, manager Ned Yost and other baseball operations officials will participate in a roundtable discussion hosted by broadcaster Ryan Lefebvre. Awards will go to:

Major League winners
• Alex Gordon, Les Milgram Player of the Year
• Bruce Chen, Bruce Rice Pitcher of the Year
• Eric Hosmer, Joe Burke Special Achievement Award

Minor League winners
• Mike Jirschele, Dick Howser Player Development Person of the Year
• Tim Melville, Mike Sweeney Award (recognizing a player who best represents the organization on and off the field)
• Anthony Seratelli, Willie Wilson Baserunner of the Year
• Lorenzo Cain, Frank White Defensive Player of the Year
• Kelvin Herrera, Paul Splittorff Pitcher of the Year
• Johnny Giavotella, George Brett Hitter of the Year
• Eric Edelstein, Matt Minker Award (recognizing an outstanding affiliate employee)

Other awards
• Lois Lakey, Dan Quisenberry Special Achievement Award (recognizing an outstanding member of the community)
• Orlando Estevez, Art Stewart Scout of the Year

Dick Kaegel is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-09-2012 09:45 AM

Butler to be honored with Hutch Award

By Jason Beck / MLB.com | 01/05/12 7:40 PM EST

Royals slugger Billy Butler will be honored with the 47th annual Hutch Award, recognizing the player who best exemplifies the honor, courage and dedication of former Major League player and manager Fred Hutchinson.

The award, given annually at an offseason luncheon in Hutchinson's hometown of Seattle, will be presented Feb. 1 at Safeco Field. Proceeds from the event will benefit early cancer detection research at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. Hall of Famer Cal Ripken Jr. will be the keynote speaker at the Hutch Award luncheon.

It's a piece of national recognition for Butler, who has become one of the more respected hitters in the American League since his arrival in the big leagues in 2007. This past season, he overcame a slow start with a solid second half to finish with a .291 average along with 44 doubles, 19 home runs and a career-best 95 RBIs.

As the Royals head into 2012 looking for better fortunes, Butler stands as an established hitter and the centerpiece of an improved, young, talented lineup.

Off the field, Butler has been an even better example for young Major League players through his efforts to give back. A year after he arrived in the big leagues, Butler and his wife, Katie, established the Hit-It-A-Ton campaign to help provide food for needy families around Kansas City. More than $200,000 has been raised, providing for over 960 tons worth of food through two local food banks and a community kitchen.

Butler's on-field performance helps the off-field efforts thanks to the program. Each Butler home run results in a $250 donation, and each double is worth $125.

Those efforts were recognized by surviving Hutch Award winners, who chose Butler to receive this year's honor and join such greats as Hall of Famers Sandy Koufax, Carl Yastrzemski, Lou Brock and Willie McCovey. More recent winners include cancer survivor Jon Lester, former Royal Mark Teahen, Tim Hudson, Jamie Moyer and Craig Biggio.

As part of this year's honor, Butler will take time during his trip to Seattle to visit cancer research labs at the Hutchinson Center along with the Hutch School, a K-12 program serving cancer patients and their school-age family members.

For more information or to register for the Hutch Award Luncheon, visit www.fhcrc.org/hutchaward.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Saul Good 01-09-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

As Royals fans, we had better hope that being profitable is part of the focus.

Let's think about what would happen if it weren't. What if Glass decided to boost the payroll to $125,000,000 for 5 years just to see if we could win, and it worked. Suddenly, attendance is way up, and so are merchandise sales and television ratings.

Glass would then evaluate everything and realize a few things.

1. It is possible for this franchise to win.

2. Revenues will increase with success.

3. Revenues aren't increasing to keep pace with expenditures.

4. A winning franchise could be extremely profitable in a bigger market.

We are much better off for many reasons by being a team that drafts well and figures out how to develop our minor league talent, even if that means shipping some of them for prospects when free agency hits.

Silock 01-09-2012 10:21 AM

Why haven't we signed Edwin Jackson yet?

SPchief 01-10-2012 08:37 PM

HBD alnorth!

alnorth 01-10-2012 11:31 PM

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/74...ct-source-says

According to Buster Olney, the Major League Baseball owners are going to ask Bud Selig to stay for at least two more years.

There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth from a lot of people if he accepts it, but I'm fine with this.

Fansy the Famous Bard 01-11-2012 09:17 AM

The dude makes $22 mil a year in salary... why's he not accepted already? lol

alnorth 01-11-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 8284929)
The dude makes $22 mil a year in salary... why's he not accepted already? lol

He's pretty old and it seems like at least part of him wants to retire. Every time he's getting to the end of the contract he sorta kinda maybe promises that this is it, he's looking forward to retirement, etc. The last time 3 years ago he was rather emphatic, more than usual in saying he was done but the owners somehow convinced him to stay. Now, he's again saying he thinks he's done, but behind closed doors he cant seem to say no.

edit: Looks like the owners are going to offer him $25MM/year to try to get him to stay. In comparison, Goodell only makes $10MM/year.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...oday-says.html

chiefqueen 01-11-2012 06:49 PM

On the Scout BB it says the Royals season opener will be televised on ESPN2 (but it will probably be televised by FSKC blacking out the ESPN2 telecast in KC). Also in looking at the schedule 6 Sat. afternoon games have already been selected by FOX for their package.

Remember 22 games will not be televised by FSKC, those 6 will be among the 22. Also, remember FSKC does not televise games on Sat. after CFB starts (9/1) and Sun. games after the NFL season starts (9/9), so that will be 8 games not televised by FSKC (one of the FOX telecasts will be in Sept.). All of this means of the remaining games all but 8 will be televised by FSKC.

Hopefully they ALL will be weekday DAY games.

(Sorry, night shift workers, and yes, it is all about me.)

Mr. Laz 01-13-2012 11:57 AM

@Buster_ESPN
Buster Olney
The asking prices have come down significantly for veteran FA starters: Oswalt (said to be at $8m), Kuroda (10-11m), Edwin Jackson.

tk13 01-13-2012 07:16 PM

Supposedly the Yankees are going to deal Jesus Montero to the Mariners for Michael Pineda. I don't even know what to say about that.

Reaper16 01-13-2012 07:20 PM

I think NY wins that. Right? A legit SP in exchange for a DH?

tk13 01-13-2012 07:22 PM

Oh I think so. I can't believe Seattle gave him up. The guy is probably going to be a 200+ K guy.

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-13-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 8291133)
@Buster_ESPN
Buster Olney
The asking prices have come down significantly for veteran FA starters: Oswalt (said to be at $8m), Kuroda (10-11m), Edwin Jackson.

MLBInsideNewsScott Swaim

#Yankees get Kuroda

MLBInsideNewsScott Swaim
Kuroda gets 10.5M base with up to 1M incentives. 500K Signing bonus. #Yankees

CaliforniaChief 01-13-2012 07:35 PM

At $8 million for one year, the Royals should sign Oswalt. It's a no-brainer, IMO.

And yeah, Pineda is a stud.

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-13-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 8292665)
At $8 million for one year, the Royals should sign Oswalt. It's a no-brainer, IMO.

And yeah, Pineda is a stud.

I know that's a popular opinion and I'm not saying its wrong..... but we've signed Sanchez coming off arm problems, Broxton coming off arm problems... do we want to add a 3rd question mark? What if we sign Oswalt and all 3 don't make it back right. Do we want to be on the hook for $ to 3 broke pitchers? I don't. We've made good strides this off season but too many question marks makes me nervous.

I'm not saying we shouldn't go after Oswalt, I'm saying look at the length our necks are stuck out already.

CaliforniaChief 01-13-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beer me (Post 8292676)
I know that's a popular opinion and I'm not saying its wrong..... but we've signed Sanchez coming off arm problems, Broxton coming off arm problems... do we want to add a 3rd question mark? What if we sign Oswalt and all 3 don't make it back right. Do we want to be on the hook for $ to 3 broke pitchers? I don't. We've made good strides this off season but too many question marks makes me nervous.

I'm not saying we shouldn't go after Oswalt, I'm saying look at the length our necks are stuck out already.

What's the risk? Yeah, $8 million but you aren't on the hook for future years and you aren't compromising the farm system at all. We're in a different position than in years past, where we had no chance to compete. Now it seems like a reasonable risk, IMO.

Obviously he's not the Oswalt of old, but I think he can be an impact arm in the rotation.

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-13-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 8292719)
What's the risk? Yeah, $8 million but you aren't on the hook for future years and you aren't compromising the farm system at all. We're in a different position than in years past, where we had no chance to compete. Now it seems like a reasonable risk, IMO.

Obviously he's not the Oswalt of old, but I think he can be an impact arm in the rotation.

The risk is $8 million for a low budget team with 2 other guys already on staff hoping to come back from arm problems. If all 3 fail because they aren't healthy I can see Glass saying we spent to much on broke dicks... gotta cut back again. That's what I don't want.

I understand we have to take some chances and hope for the best. If we sign Oswalt I'll cheer for him and hope he can be what we need. It just concerns me. That's all I'm saying. Back problems aren't easy to deal with. We can't afford to be 3 time losers on the pitching staff in a single year.

lewdog 01-13-2012 09:18 PM

I would have loved to have Pineda. Damn.

doomy3 01-13-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8292625)
Supposedly the Yankees are going to deal Jesus Montero to the Mariners for Michael Pineda. I don't even know what to say about that.

Wow, no way. Why would Seattle make that deal? Weird.

Ebolapox 01-13-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog_5 (Post 8292834)
I would have loved to have Pineda. Damn.

call em' quick and offer wil myers and a live arm?

lewdog 01-13-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doomy3 (Post 8292885)
Wow, no way. Why would Seattle make that deal? Weird.

****ing dumb Mariners. I don't get why they did this either.

KevB 01-13-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8292636)
Oh I think so. I can't believe Seattle gave him up. The guy is probably going to be a 200+ K guy.

I am shocked at this deal. Shocked. Seattle had the makings of a starting staff in that park to really compete for something over the next several years. Supplement the offense w/o dealing your young aces and away you go. Instead you trade for an unproven bat with no position, and it's a Yankee prospect. They're notoriously overvalued.

tk13 01-13-2012 11:27 PM

Amazing thing is not two years ago Jack Z was so highly thought of in baseball circles. Looked like Seattle was really on the rise. Certainly more than enough Royals fans would've shipped Dayton out for the guy, he was worshiped over on Royals Corner. Now I don't know what the heck he's doing. He just broke up what could've been a championship rotation and worst of all, he bailed out the Yankees. Not to mention trading a young pitcher who's actually proven something for a hitter who hasn't, that's absurd in today's market. Maybe he knows something we don't.

Bambi 01-13-2012 11:47 PM

lol, just when you thought Cashman has lost it...

damn

tk13 01-14-2012 02:13 PM

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/01/14...ouzmanoff.html

Royals sign 3B Kevin Kouzmanoff to a minor league deal. Sounds like he'll have a legit shot to be the backup 1B/3B.

duncan_idaho 01-14-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8293103)
Amazing thing is not two years ago Jack Z was so highly thought of in baseball circles. Looked like Seattle was really on the rise. Certainly more than enough Royals fans would've shipped Dayton out for the guy, he was worshiped over on Royals Corner. Now I don't know what the heck he's doing. He just broke up what could've been a championship rotation and worst of all, he bailed out the Yankees. Not to mention trading a young pitcher who's actually proven something for a hitter who hasn't, that's absurd in today's market. Maybe he knows something we don't.

This.

Montero is probably going to be a plus hitter, but pitchers with multiple Cy Young, ace potential like Pineda are worth more than what they got for him.

No doubt about that.

Jack Z's star has fallen tremendously. What a disaster he has been over the past few years.

alnorth 01-14-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8294030)
http://www.kansascity.com/2012/01/14...ouzmanoff.html

Royals sign 3B Kevin Kouzmanoff to a minor league deal. Sounds like he'll have a legit shot to be the backup 1B/3B.

Last year, he looked like the 3B version of Betancourt, it was the worst year of his career. Before that, he hit just a little better, but had much better defensive years, no idea what happened to his glove last year.

If last year was a fluke and 2008-2010 is closer to what we could expect, then he's a decent backup for Moose, and its encouraging to see that DM wanted a different answer for the nightmare scenario of Moose getting hurt.

Barring injury, hopefully this guy and Yuni do not start more often than once every 10 games. If that is their roles, great.

edit: for some reason he's got an opt out provision if he's not in the majors by May 1. I seriously doubt he'll opt out, but I guess he wanted some faint hope to sign with someone else if he didn't make the team, blew up in AAA, and we had no spot for him.

alnorth 01-14-2012 03:26 PM

In other news, (Yankees got Kuroda too) this quote from another board pretty much says it all.

Quote:

Congratulations to the New York Yankees for managing to solve their rotation issues in less time than it takes House to diagnose a patient
The Mariners are F'ing stupid.

ChiefsCountry 01-16-2012 01:03 PM

Royals released their advertising slogan for the year - "Our Time."
http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/new...=pr_kc&c_id=kc

tk13 01-16-2012 01:04 PM

I just saw that. These things are always a bit cheesy, but I like that one. Hopefully the team delivers.

Demonpenz 01-16-2012 01:05 PM

Minus the Bear Tie in!

alnorth 01-16-2012 01:05 PM

Not sure what I think, but its definitely better than the hilariously low-expectation "major league moments".

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...10406346_n.jpg

gblowfish 01-16-2012 01:12 PM

Let's hope it's not altered to:
HARD TIME

alnorth 01-16-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 8302580)
Let's hope it's not altered to:
HARD TIME

Alternatively, if the Royals are losing so bad that you need a drink:

POUR TIME

Three7s 01-16-2012 01:21 PM

Our Time?

Kind of bold of them.

alnorth 01-16-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three7s (Post 8302596)
Our Time?

Kind of bold of them.

That was my thought. I mean, if we find some pitching and everything works out, we could win the division. From that situation, the Royals boldly stepped forth and shouted, "Bring it, bitches!"

There's nothing wrong with being bold, but if this team falls apart, that slogan will look hilarious.

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-16-2012 01:25 PM

Maybe they just mean summer is baseball season... hence it's our time. Probably not though heh.

Demonpenz 01-16-2012 01:30 PM

Hosmer Tweeted that Butler beat both Gordon and Him in a push up compitition. I have to think they let him win so Butler wouldn't stress eat a bag of Chex-Mix

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-16-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 8302617)
Hosmer Tweeted that Butler beat both Gordon and Him in a push up compitition. I have to think they let him win so Butler wouldn't stress eat a bag of Chex-Mix

Billy BEASTING ahead!

alnorth 01-16-2012 01:33 PM

Royals avoided arbitration with Brayan Pena, signing him to a 1-year deal.

They have 6 arbitration-eligible players left: Hochevar, Paulino, Sanchez, Getz, Gordon, and Maier.

Demonpenz 01-16-2012 02:22 PM

Bryan Pena celebrated by closing his stance right handed even more.

58kcfan89 01-16-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8302569)
Not sure what I think, but its definitely better than the hilariously low-expectation "major league moments".

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...10406346_n.jpg

I'll be honest, I love it.

Bout time this franchise grows some balls & starts winning some damn games.

I can't wait for Opening Day. And I don't think I've ever said that about Royals baseball in my lifetime.

lewdog 01-16-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58kcfan89 (Post 8302883)

I can't wait for Opening Day. And I don't think I've ever said that about Royals baseball in my lifetime.

I surely never have either but share the same sentiment. Can't wait!

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-16-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58kcfan89 (Post 8302883)
I'll be honest, I love it.

Bout time this franchise grows some balls & starts winning some damn games.

It is kind of cool to see them come out with something that has a little attitude and expectation. I just hope it's not a bit too early.... then again if it is who cares...

KCUnited 01-16-2012 03:43 PM

Let's hope Our Time means more than April. For Luke, let's hope it means more than 4 innings.

sedated 01-16-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8302600)
That was my thought. I mean, if we find some pitching and everything works out, we could win the division. From that situation, the Royals boldly stepped forth and shouted, "Bring it, bitches!"

There's nothing wrong with being bold, but if this team falls apart, that slogan will look hilarious.

Maybe its sort of “our time starts now”

SCTrojan 01-16-2012 04:03 PM

At least it's not Lima Time.

BillSelfsTrophycase 01-16-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8302600)

Yeah, the "History Awaits" KU slogan from a few years back comes to mind

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-16-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 8302985)
Let's hope Our Time means more than April. For Luke, let's hope it means more than 4 innings.

Luke got it together and looked like an ace the second half last year after some "adjustments" were made to his mechanics. Let's hope it carrys over and lasts forever.

KCUnited 01-16-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beer me (Post 8303125)
Luke got it together and looked like an ace the second half last year after some "adjustments" were made to his mechanics. Let's hope it carrys over and lasts forever.

Agree on the last sentence. Definitely anxious to see him pitch while the division is still in grasp, when every outing means something.

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-16-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 8303144)
Agree on the last sentence. Definitely anxious to see him pitch while the division is still in grasp, when every outing means something.

Fair enough. He did look real good though.

petegz28 01-16-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Luke's problem is the big inning. He can give you 6 shutdown innings then get lit for 4 runs, 4 walks in one inning.

duncan_idaho 01-16-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Biggest change was that he started throwing his slider as an out pitch and was much more successful putting hitters away. K/9 jumped to its highest rate as a result (with GB rate staying high/good).

I'm not sure that mechanical adjustments had much to do with it (they moved him over a few inches on the rubber, as I recall), but whatever it was, here's hoping it stays!

58kcfan89 01-16-2012 06:39 PM

I'm not sure how reliable this guys is, but it looks like Getz got a 1-year deal. ****.

@mlbtrben Ben Nicholson-Smith
The Royals avoided arb with Chris Getz, agreeing to a $967,500 deal for 2012, I have learned

https://twitter.com/#!/mlbtrben/stat...64059851976704

Quote:

Originally Posted by beer me (Post 8302914)
It is kind of cool to see them come out with something that has a little attitude and expectation. I just hope it's not a bit too early.... then again if it is who cares...

Yeah, I mean if the team falls flat on its face (again), no one's gunna blame the marketing department. And other than White Sux fans, no one hates KC enough to remember it very long. On the other hand, if the team is competitive (or God forbid makes the playoffs), "Our Time" can be a good way to get people to the ballpark, put on t-shirts, commercials, etc.

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-16-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8303199)
Luke's problem is the big inning. He can give you 6 shutdown innings then get lit for 4 runs, 4 walks in one inning.

Yes I know.... like I said I hope his 2nd half performance is indicative of what's to come.

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-16-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 8303410)

I'm not sure that mechanical adjustments had much to do with it (they moved him over a few inches on the rubber, as I recall), but whatever it was, here's hoping it stays!

This is a more accurate description of what I tried to say.

Three7s 01-16-2012 06:48 PM

****ing Getz needs to get the hell out of here.

58kcfan89 01-16-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three7s (Post 8303465)

This.

I can take Getz's shitty bat by itself.

I can take Yunicorn's shitty glove by itself.

I don't know if I can take them together...:banghead:

Saul Good 01-16-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 8303410)
Biggest change was that he started throwing his slider as an out pitch and was much more successful putting hitters away. K/9 jumped to its highest rate as a result (with GB rate staying high/good).

He was tipping his pitches out of the stretch.

petegz28 01-16-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Getz is good when you need a SAC bunt and nothing else. I'll take Johnny G. over him any day. Defense is about the same if not better and bat is much better.

stonedstooge 01-16-2012 07:18 PM

Getz is a gamer anyway

tk13 01-16-2012 07:49 PM

Glass has spoken.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201....ap/index.html

Quote:

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Kansas City Royals owner David Glass believes small-market franchises must do whatever it takes to lock up young talent long term, even if it's a sometimes risky proposition.

That means the pressure is on Royals general manager Dayton Moore.

The Royals are expected to field the youngest team in baseball this season, though that hasn't diminished expectations. Many expect them to challenge Detroit in the AL Central behind a cadre of youthful stars such as first baseman Eric Hosmer and third baseman Mike Moustakas.

Glass said he expects Moore to begin discussions with both of them on long-term deals as early as this season, even though they just arrived from the minor leagues last year.

"The Indians, the Rays and other people have had some success in keeping the young ones," Glass told The Associated Press on Monday. "I think we've got a special group, and keeping them together and the best of the crop is really important to us."

---

"We like where we are," Dayton Moore said. "Six of the nine players in the lineup for us most days will be homegrown talent, and two of the remaining three will be players we acquired through trades of players that were in our system. Now the players need to go out and play."

The Royals expect another rookie in Lorenzo Cain to start in center field, while left fielder Alex Gordon has talked about signing a long-term deal of his own after a breakout 2011 season.

"It's very slow talks, but I don't think anybody is in a rush to get something done because I have two years left," Gordon said. "Hopefully, eventually, we can get something done."

Glass has always defended the Royals' often meager payroll, but there are signs he's willing to loosen the purse strings - especially if the team is finally in contention.

That could be this season, if expectations turn into results.

"We're never going to be able to do what the big markets do," Glass said. "The Yankees, if they can have $200-million plus, they're always going to have two or three times as much as the rest of us.

"But there's enough flexibility there," he said. "What small markets need to do is position themselves so if they year's going well and they've got a shot at winning their division, then you need to be able to step up and add to that mix whatever you need, whatever you think you need to win."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1jfyuIkrW

SAUTO 01-16-2012 07:52 PM

Glass sounds like hes saying the right things. Hopefully he does it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-16-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Getz is fine as a backup imo, which is what he is now.