ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Is... is Kendall Fuller not that good? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=318221)

Dante84 10-15-2018 05:19 PM

Is... is Kendall Fuller not that good?

I was expecting a ton of PBU’s and QB’s avoiding his side of the field... instead, he falls down a bunch, gets beat and gets flagged for PI a lot.

Perhaps that’s just my impression.

Is it scheme? Youth? Wha ha happen?

Iconic 10-15-2018 05:20 PM

This defense has ebolaids. EVERYONE is infected.

Imon Yourside 10-15-2018 05:20 PM

He forgot how to play defense is what I suspect.

wazu 10-15-2018 05:22 PM

Good defensive players become bad players when they join the Chiefs. Their ability levels go down, even though they should be in their prime years. Impossible to say why as there is no common link.

Spott 10-15-2018 05:22 PM

Definitely not as good as Peters was.

NJChiefsFan 10-15-2018 05:23 PM

I personally haven't watched many of the all 22 looks but I can't imagine the safties are giving any help to our corners the way they should be. Even just mentally I think that can have an impact. On the surface I am disappointed but I still expect him to be a player we are happy to have. It's really hard to gauge anything with this defense.

Chiefspants 10-15-2018 05:25 PM

He has always been a slot corner.

Pretending any differently was Veach’s problem from the beginning.

kcxiv 10-15-2018 05:29 PM

eh, i think he's playing fairly well in the scheme of things. He's one of the least people i am concerned with. The Dline and inside linebackers is where i rage.

rabblerouser 10-15-2018 05:30 PM

He'd look a lot better with Patrick Peterson on the other side of the field...

smithandrew051 10-15-2018 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 13820890)
Good defensive players become bad players when they join the Chiefs. Their ability levels go down, even though they should be in their prime years. Impossible to say why as there is no common link.

Sure seems to be the case. Who was the last defensive player we added via trade or FA that we never ended up regretting?

I’m struggling to name any recent ones.

POND_OF_RED 10-15-2018 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 13820892)

Right? Would have been nice to see Peters and Fuller together with this offense. No way Peters would still be sitting out with this team rolling on offense and struggling so much on defense. The guys too competitive. It’s why the trade was so stupid.. He would absolutely be a difference to this team right now and anyone who denies that is absolutely delusional.

staylor26 10-15-2018 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 13820897)

Which is where he’s playing most of the time.

ILChief 10-15-2018 05:32 PM

He's just not a #1 corner like Peters

Red Dawg 10-15-2018 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 13820916)
He's just not a #1 corner like Peters

Have you seen Peters this season? He's not a great corner either.

smithandrew051 10-15-2018 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 13820919)

Peters has been trash, but we know that he would get takeaways. We’re getting burnt either way, might as well get a pick every other game.

wazu 10-15-2018 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 13820919)

I am so grateful for this.

Pitt Gorilla 10-15-2018 05:47 PM

He was traded as part of a package to acquire Alex smith. You do the math.

kcxiv 10-15-2018 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 13820927)
Peters has been trash, but we know that he would get takeaways. We’re getting burnt either way, might as well get a pick every other game.

Peters is also playing through an injury.

Chiefshrink 10-15-2018 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 13820906)
eh, i think he's playing fairly well in the scheme of things. He's one of the least people i am concerned with. The Dline and inside linebackers is where i rage.

:clap::clap::clap:

Bump 10-15-2018 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 13820897)

ya, let's trade for Peterson and put Fuller where he belongs. Maybe he can do well in the slot, but he certainly isn't doing well with what he's doing now.

I didn't watch any Redskins games last year, but is pretty much playing outside corner this whole season and last season he was slot only? Well ****, if that's the case just put him in the slot regardless and put another shitter on the outside, it would probably be an improvement.

BWillie 10-15-2018 05:52 PM

https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/p...cq6jbc71hd.jpg
Quote:

Direckshun 10-15-2018 05:53 PM

I feel like he’s always been good for us.

He went up against Edelman, who is so deeply connected to Brady Giselle might as well adopt him.

Don’t overreact.

Chiefshrink 10-15-2018 05:54 PM

Fuller is still getting acclimated as to what Sutton wants from him in certain defensive scenarios and I assure the Pats like us are a difficult offense to prepare for when all your weapons are healthy.:shrug:

Chief Roundup 10-15-2018 05:55 PM

Quote:

Yeah he is only rated 70 points better. Stupid post is stupid.

Chief Roundup 10-15-2018 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 13820959)

Get out of here with that shit. He was getting abused before his injury, which he acted like was broke but it was a minor sprain. Now with Talib out teams are still going after him with the likes of Joyner or Robey-Coleman on the other side.

Iowanian 10-15-2018 06:10 PM

I think he's been pretty solid....he just as shit safety coverage over the top.

T-post Tom 10-15-2018 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 13820881)
I was expecting a ton of PBU’s and QB’s avoiding his side of the field... instead, he falls down a bunch, gets beat and gets flagged for PI a lot.

Perhaps that’s just my impression.

Is it scheme? Youth? Wha ha happen?

5'11" Slot corner moves to outside in a "1 high safety" defense. Not surprising. He's often outsized with no help when on the outside. Anyone know what percentage of plays he covers slot now?

ping2000 10-15-2018 06:13 PM

He saw Sutton in the showers after the first game. It changes a man.

Chiefspants 10-15-2018 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13820913)
Which is where he’s playing most of the time.

That's certainly possible - I haven't watched any All 22 footage or read up on PFF this year. From just watching the games like any ol' slob, I tend to notice when he gets roasted/penalized on the outside.

Kiimo 10-15-2018 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 13820965)
ya, let's trade for Peterson and put Fuller where he belongs. Maybe he can do well in the slot, but he certainly isn't doing well with what he's doing now.

Why do people think Fuller is playing outside? Scandrick and Nelson are the outside corners.

arrwheader 10-15-2018 06:19 PM

Christ it’s because Bob Sutton sucks BALLS. There is so much evidence to support it or lack of evidence suggesting it’s anything otherwise. He should have been shit canned last year. They re tooled the entire defense and they still suck. What does that tell you?. Bob Sutton sucks dick unless he has primo talent and who wouldn’t suck if you had that? Oh wait I forgot he manages to still **** up and drop them in coverage and all kinds of other dumb shit that loses us games.

Kiimo 10-15-2018 06:20 PM

Maybe the reason all our new guys on defense suck is because the defense takes three years to learn, by our own d-coordinator's admission.

People playing out of position or thinking instead of moving always look like bad defensive players. They're all hesitating and playing on their heels.

Here's an idea try to steal Washington's defensive coordinator instead of their players.

Molitoth 10-15-2018 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 13821020)
Maybe the reason all our new guys on defense suck is because the defense takes three years to learn, by our own d-coordinator's admission.

People playing out of position or thinking instead of moving always look like bad defensive players. They're all hesitating and playing on their heels.

This has been Soren Petro's opinion as well.

htismaqe 10-15-2018 06:25 PM

Fuller has played below expectations. So has Hitchens.

The only guys that seems to be playing up to his potential (even though it isn't a high ceiling) is Scandrick and he's a 10-year vet.

Sutton HAS to be the problem at this point.

Funkstown 10-15-2018 06:30 PM

Nah, it's because Bob Sutton is an idiot.

loochy 10-15-2018 07:17 PM

Quote:

Impossible to say why as there is no common link.

https://i.redd.it/099xr30i5s101.jpg

JakeF 10-15-2018 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 13820908)
He'd look a lot better with Patrick Peterson on the other side of the field...

You think? Right now most teams go after Steven Nelson for most of the game. If we stick Peterson how there then those teams will switch to going after Fuller. He's been struggling quite a bit.

InChiefsHeaven 10-15-2018 07:35 PM

We should put Tyreek in on defense from time to time...guarantee he will get to the ball...

MahiMike 10-15-2018 07:36 PM

They're all confused and a step behind.

Iowanian 10-15-2018 07:39 PM

Ragland has regressed, hitchens looked better last year.....

I just can't decide if the obvious D.C. Issue is heat is wrong or if the front 3 are shitty and not eating blocks which hurts the LB ability to make plays.

Mecca 10-15-2018 07:40 PM

Hitchens may honestly just be a 4-3 LB that doesn't translate to a 3-4.

T-post Tom 10-15-2018 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 13821015)
Why do people think Fuller is playing outside? Scandrick and Nelson are the outside corners.

Seems like Fuller was getting outside reps thru game 4. (Maybe 5?) Is there a way to get those stats?

JakeF 10-15-2018 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 13821214)
Hitchens may honestly just be a 4-3 LB that doesn't translate to a 3-4.

So Fuller is a slot CB that we are using on the outside. Hitchens is a 4-3 LB that we are using in a 3-4. Ragland is a 2-down dinosaur LB that should have played under Marty Schottenheimer. What could possibly be the problem?

Mecca 10-15-2018 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 13821225)
So Fuller is a slot CB that we are using on the outside. Hitchens is a 4-3 LB that we are using in a 3-4. Ragland is a 2-down dinosaur LB that should have played under Marty Schottenheimer. What could possibly be the problem?

And a safety that doesn't play, a one trick pony OLB mixed with another OLB that is about half the player he used to be...

Oh and a DL that talks a huge game and then plays hard about 40% of the time.

ROYC75 10-15-2018 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 13821015)

They be fans that watch football but doesn't understand how football is played.

Chiefspants 10-15-2018 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-post Tom (Post 13821217)
Seems like Fuller was getting outside reps thru game 4. (Maybe 5?) Is there a way to get those stats?

ExtremeSkins thought so, too. Looks like we’ll need some hard data here.

If he’s outside, his decline makes sense.

If not, oh ****

Molitoth 10-15-2018 08:58 PM

If Fuller sucks ass in a different scheme and DC, I will agree.... Until then, I'm game for watching him under different management.

New World Order 10-15-2018 08:59 PM

Does it feel like he commits more PI penalties down the field or is it just me?

Mecca 10-15-2018 09:00 PM

Suttons scheme is also stupid for the shit it asks DB's to do. Do you think it's any coincidence how bad all of these guys look here?

T-post Tom 10-15-2018 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75 (Post 13821254)
They be fans that watch football but doesn't understand how football is played.

Oh mighty purveyor of arcane football stats, please enlighten the unclean & unknowing football pagans that are CP. How many snaps has Fuller taken at slot corner & how many at outside corner these first 6 games? Please redeem us with your wisdom..

~Hugs & Kisses,
CP

TambaBerry 10-15-2018 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 13820959)

Stop with this bullshit narrative. The injury has nothing to do with his bad play.

ModSocks 10-15-2018 09:58 PM

Quote:

BS

ModSocks 10-15-2018 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 13821409)
If Fuller sucks ass in a different scheme and DC, I will agree.... Until then, I'm game for watching him under different management.

Dude had a 50/50 career up to the trade. He sucked shit his rookie season on the outside and had a good 2nd season as a slot. He was always a gamble, don't give a damn what some around here wanted to believe.

And frankly, he's been fine in coverage. Can't tackle worth a shit though.

srvy 10-15-2018 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED (Post 13820910)
Right? Would have been nice to see Peters and Fuller together with this offense. No way Peters would still be sitting out with this team rolling on offense and struggling so much on defense. The guys too competitive. It’s why the trade was so stupid.. He would absolutely be a difference to this team right now and anyone who denies that is absolutely delusional.

:rolleyes:
https://66.media.tumblr.com/7eebfc1c...0k2jo2_500.gif

Hammock Parties 10-16-2018 12:44 AM

He's a slot corner overmatched playing on the outside every down.

But it's that or give the safeties more responsibility and we know that ain't gonna work.

New World Order 10-16-2018 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13821689)

But it's that or give the safeties more responsibility and we know that ain't gonna work.

Kinda reminds me of Bradley Roby

Roby is a good slot corner, but he's been destroyed playing on the outside this season.

RINGLEADER 10-16-2018 12:51 AM

Quote:

You know Veach and Sutton are salivating for the day Sorensen returns to the lineup. I'm sure they believe that will solve everything...

Chargem 10-16-2018 12:53 AM

Per PFF

Snaps as slot corner: 293
Snaps as "wide Corner": 92

I'd have to watch it again but mainly I felt like he just slipped and messed up twice because of that vs the Pats.

ChiefsFanatic 10-16-2018 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 13820893)
I personally haven't watched many of the all 22 looks but I can't imagine the safties are giving any help to our corners the way they should be. Even just mentally I think that can have an impact. On the surface I am disappointed but I still expect him to be a player we are happy to have. It's really hard to gauge anything with this defense.

On the all-22 Fuller is always beat and grabbing. OK, not always, but very often he has to reach out and grab or hold.

I was just watching some different media clips about the game, and the NFL weekend in general, and I had a thought or a question, and that is, did Washington punk us?

Did they already know that he wasn't really that good? Had they already determined that his ceiling was just a good slot corner, so they didn't really feel like they were giving up as much as we thought we were getting?

I know Peters is going through a rough stretch right now, but even with his aversion to tackling, he produced for this team, and added more value to this team than Fuller has, even with all the behind the scenes drama he caused.

I am hoping that leading up to his promotion, Veach had only been scouting offense at Reid's request or something, because if he really put all his football knowledge into the defensive players he has acquired, then he has no idea how to identify defensive talent.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

ChiefsFanatic 10-16-2018 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 13821029)
Fuller has played below expectations. So has Hitchens.

The only guys that seems to be playing up to his potential (even though it isn't a high ceiling) is Scandrick and he's a 10-year vet.

Sutton HAS to be the problem at this point.

Scandrick has gotten better since the Chargers game. Against the Chargers he beaten badly on more than one occasion.

Hitchens kinda went in the other direction. He looked good early, but now his play has fallen off substantially. I know someone is going to bring up how many tackles he has, but someone on the defense has to get credited with tackles. It's like KU playing four guards, and Dave Armstrong talking up how well Vick rebounds. Someone has to get the rebounds.

They have both been big disappointments. But I feel like Sutton is coaching all the good habits and techniques out of Hitchens, but Fuller is just sooooo slooooow it does not matter where he lines up.

ChiefsFanatic 10-16-2018 02:08 AM

I am replaying the game, and on the Edelman TD catch early in the 2nd quarter, Fuller slides over to cover him as he releases from the LOS, and Fuller is basically standing flat footed as Edelman runs by him, and he weakly tries to reach out and grab his arm to hold him. In the highlight you can see Fuller so off balance that he is almost falling face first into the turf as he stares at Edelman catching the TD pass. Edelman ran past him so fast that he kinda spun Fuller around as he blew by.

The LOS is the 17, and Fuller is standing on the 12, so Edelman has a full five yards to accelerate, and it seems that Fuller must think that Edelman is going to sit down in the zone in front of him, and is caught off guard when Edelman blows by him.

So, Fuller was basically playing slot corner and got toasted.

Chiefnj2 10-16-2018 08:38 AM

Ragland must really be hurt. He played well against the run last year. The only change has been to NT and his "swollen knees." Otherwise his decline doesn't really make much sense.

staylor26 10-16-2018 08:45 AM

Quote:

He's a slot corner overmatched playing on the outside every down

Do you even watch the games Clay?

He’s almost always inside.

Hammock Parties 10-16-2018 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13821954)

Yeah, my bad, but when he is outside it is a total mismatch, especially on deep routes.

notorious 10-16-2018 08:47 AM

Wouldn’t it be nice if we had a leader on defense that demanded accountability, and made sure everyone is in the right position to make plays?

Oh, wait......

FAX 10-16-2018 08:59 AM

Hmmm ... maybe it's the combination of Brady, Edelman, Gronk and Hoyer (as well as the crazy drug addict guy) that made us look so ... defenseless. Oh ... and the japanese appliance french chick isn't too bad either, actually.

(Probably not worth mentioning that we had about half the defense on IR or listed as half-dead in the injury report.)

This is interesting to me; since the beginning of the season, knowledgeable NFL observers have been saying, "The Patriots often start the season slow and use the first few games as an extended pre-season as they refine their schemes." I suppose I'm wondering why that would apply to the Belicheats, but not to other teams ... like us, for example.

FAX THE RATIONAL

bobbything 10-16-2018 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 13821020)

Christ, this defense is never going to be decent.

Chiefspants 10-16-2018 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13821954)

He's been outside on about 1/4th of his snaps.

Not all the time, but significant enough to be a problem apparently.

WhiteWhale 10-16-2018 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 13820965)

I didn't watch any Redskins games last year, but is pretty much playing outside corner this whole season and last season he was slot only? Well ****, if that's the case just put him in the slot regardless and put another shitter on the outside, it would probably be an improvement.

Fuller was moving inside all game against the patriots in sub formations. HE only played outside in the base defense.

staylor26 11-07-2018 07:56 PM

Quote:

Kansas City Chiefs
Kansas City Chiefs
@Chiefs
Per
@PFF
, Kendall Fuller has been the 2nd best corner in the NFL for the past two weeks.

Sofa King 11-07-2018 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13877415)

Niiiiiccccccceeee

rabblerouser 11-07-2018 08:32 PM

Quote:

Neither is Peters.:shrug:

Dante84 11-07-2018 10:09 PM

Bounce back week!

carcosa 11-07-2018 10:34 PM

He's good now!!!!!

Imon Yourside 11-07-2018 11:05 PM

Peters?!?!?!?! Bwahahaha

SDChiefs 11-07-2018 11:42 PM

He sucks. I can only recall him making a couple good plays this year. I'm sure he made more, but nothing memorable. At this point I would do a straight up trade for Alex smiff as our backup.

Jethopper 11-07-2018 11:48 PM

Kendall Fuller is now the #20 ranked cornerback in the league according to PFF

Chiefs=Champions 11-08-2018 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDChiefs (Post 13877691)
He sucks. I can only recall him making a couple good plays this year. I'm sure he made more, but nothing memorable. At this point I would do a straight up trade for Alex smiff as our backup.

Beyond stupid.

htismaqe 11-08-2018 07:56 AM

Fuller struggled a lot early but he's improved a ton over the course of the season. I think for him it was just a matter of getting comfortable.

Reerun_KC 11-08-2018 07:59 AM

All the young players have improved dramatically over the course of this season.

So refreshing to see KC playing youth instead of broke dick has beens that the fans clamour for.

These kids are exciting and bring an attitude to the game that we have never experienced in KC before.